• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stuck in Indoor doing rehab work Playlist thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in Indoor doing rehab work Playlist thread

As the title suggests, I'm facing yet another winter doing "rehab" sets on stall confined TB for the winter....FUN So looking for things to entertain myself while walking for 40 minutes and trotting for 1....then eventually 2....then eventually 3 minutes (you get my drift).

I'm looking for some new music suggestions (I play it out loud to help drown down outside noises that may set my horse off) or anything else to help pass the time while we are walking.

So I've listed below the first 15 songs that showed up on my iPod after hitting shuffle. I would love it if others did the same to get some ideas. It is pretty funny to see the random music that shows up!

Eleanor Rigby---Beatles
    Always Something--Cage the Elephant
    Brand New Day--Trevor Hall
    Swing Life Away--Rise Against
    Trojans--Atlas Genius
    Brendan's Death Song---Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Celestials--Smashing Pumpkins
    Walk this Way--Aerosmith
    Eyes Wide Open---Gotye
    Ho Hey---The Lumineers
    The Lovecats--The Cure
    Little Black Submarines--The Black Keys
    Tougne Tied--Grouplove
    Brian Wilson---Barenaked Ladies
    Wooden Ships--- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

So folks...help me learn about some new music....what do other eventers listen too....
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

I know this is not music, but for rehab work I listen to books on tape (well books on iPod) and the 40 minutes at the walk go by a lot faster.

For songs, I make a pandora station and customize with all my fave songs. I usually (85%) get good and new music that I love. I use it on conditioning sets as well. I usually listen to alternative/oldies rock and it helps to get me going and I sing along (badly) and it goes by faster.

For the spooky horse use ear pom poms if he will tolerate it. Helps to keep down the spooky noises.

Good luck with the rehab, its not super fun
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

Here you go:

The Way You Move -- Outkast
      Gold -- Spandau Ballet
      Rock Lobster -- B-52s
      C'mon Hear the Noise -- Quiet Riot
      Mr. Blue Sky -- ELO
      Before He Cheats -- Carrie Underwood
      Greenlight -- Andre 3000
      Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
      Let's Get Rocked -- Def Leppard
      No Rain -- Blind Melon
      The Sweet Escape -- Akon/Gwen Stefani
      Walking on Sunshine -- Katrina and The Waves
      Come on Eileen -- Dexy's Midnight Runners
      Clocks -- Coldplay
      There's a Rat In Me Kitchen -- UB40
      Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Original Poster

Books on tape/iPod....I might have to try that! I'm riding alone 95% of the time so I don't have to worry too much about the genre (will likely pick a mystery novel or thriller)
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Just don't get so absorbed in the plot that you miss the plotting that's going on under you.
          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
            Just don't get so absorbed in the plot that you miss the plotting that's going on under you.

LOL--good point. Luckily this mare is being REALLY good (I've had tough ones before but she isn't one of them)....but I know it would not take much to set her off!

Comment

Here's my 15 songs:

Maroon 5 - Misery
              Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
              Switchfoot - Stars
              Mika - Blame It On The Girls
              Finger Eleven - Paralyzer
              The Fratellis - Acid Jazz Singer
              Aerosmith - Rag Doll
              The Offspring - You're Gonna Go Far Kid
              The Fratellis - Henrietta
              Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent
              Neon Trees - Moving in the Dark
              Train - Drive By
              AWOLNATION - Sail
              Coldplay - Paradise
              Locksley - The Whip

Good luck with the rehabbing!

Comment

I listen to Chris Stafford's radio show. Has kept me occupied for hours and hours in transport.
                A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

1. Dancing with Myself - Billy Idol
                  2. Gone Daddy Gone - Violent Femmes
                  3. Walkin on the Sun - Smash Mouth
                  4. Sheena is a Punk Rocker - Ramones
                  5. Rock Lobster - B52s
                  6. Hey Ya - Outkast
                  7. Sabatoge - Beastie Boys
                  8. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N Roses
                  9. Break Ya Neck - Busta Rhymes
                  10. Fat Bottom Girls - Queen

And check out these:

http://www.marycatherinestarr.com/2/...oga-songs.html

http://topworkoutsongs.org/2011/06/t...gs-playlist-1/
                  OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                    I listen to stuff I get for free on Librivox when doing barn chores. All books that are in the public domain, so classics, etc. I pick light stuff--I've been listening to a lot of Anthony Trollope lately. It's pretty boring .

Comment

Fun!

Stardog Champion - Mother Love Bone
                      Days of Swine and Roses - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
                      The Hurting - Tears for Fears
                      No Depression - Uncle Tupelo
                      The Gauntlet - Dropkick Murphys
                      From Her to Eternity - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
                      It All Comes Down to You - Alison Krauss and Union Station
                      I Know What I Know - Paul Simon
                      Bury My Lovely - October Project
                      It Will Be - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
                      Mari-Mac - Great Big Sea
                      Gi' Us A Dram - Real McKenzies
                      Too Much to Swallow, pt 1 - Utah Saints

Dark Turn of Mind - Gillian Welch
                      White Squall - Stan Rogers

The bolded songs are ones I'd pick to listen to while riding. Some of these aren't my favorites by the artist, or just aren't really fun for riding.

I also played Zombies, Run! while handwalking.
                      Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
                      http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

Comment

I've been putting on a Pandora station for my recent rehab work. I normally do my Hotel California station or Pour Some Sugar on me station. I like songs that I can sing along to and keep the energy up. Or my Mumford and Sons station but that can get too mellow at times. I have one of those runner armband holders for my ipod/iphone so I can change songs/stations if I need a change.

Comment

I can't do my iPod right now, so I'll just tell you what I recently got and have really liked: Artist: Of Monsters and Men, album: My Head is An Animal

And Vampire Weekend (self-titled album).

(PS every time I hear anything from the Matchbox 20 album Yourself or Someone Like You, I think of rehab. It's kind of a negative association! From my first Prelim horse's rehab back in 1998/1999... that was a LONG winter.)
                          Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

What does the HORSE like? No, seriously! Some horses can be a little particular about their music. There was one particular guitar riff one horse I used to ride HATED, and would spook every time he heard it.

I don't have any songs in particular. When I ride, I listen to a lot of serious rock like the Rolling Stones, Queen, AC/DC, Joan Jett, etc, etc, etc. But I also love anything Wilco sings, the Black Keys, love Billy Idol, Chris Issak. Just depends on the mood.

Pandora is a good idea. This is what I do. We'll just pick a station, and ride. It's kinda fun, when I am riding along and going "What is THIS? It's awesome!" I usually have to stop and look to see what goodness I am hearing.
                            Amanda

Comment

I like podcasts. Can learn some really cool things and keep yourself occupied!
                              Forward momentum!

Comment

First fifteen songs on my Barn Songs mix (all good songs to ride/work/run to)

1. Everlasting Light--the Black Keys
                                2. Back in the USSR--the Beatles
                                3. The End of the World--the Cure
                                4. Love Interruption--Jack White
                                5. Three Button Hand-Me-Down--the Faces
                                6. Live Forever--Oasis
                                7. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?--REM
                                8. Cecelia--Simon and Garfunkel
                                9. For Once in My Life--Stevie Wonder
                                10. Jump into the Fog--the Wombats
                                11. Waste--Foster the People
                                12. Lovely Rita--the Beatles
                                13. Check the Rhime--A Tribe Called Quest
                                14. Let's Go--Matt and Kim
                                15. King and Lionheart--Of Monsters and Men

Fun thread!
                                I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                  Books on tape/iPod....I might have to try that! I'm riding alone 95% of the time so I don't have to worry too much about the genre (will likely pick a mystery novel or thriller)
                                  FWIW, I LOVE Ian Rankin on audiobook. Partly because I enjoy listening to the Scottish accent & love following Rebus as he makes his way around Edinburgh, which IR describes so perfectly it makes my heart ache, but also because his books are awesomely well written whodunits. I haven't yet experienced the joys of 40min walk sets, but audiobooks get me through my gym workouts.
                                  "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                  "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

For ridiculous holiday fare try tunes by Straight No Chaser,
                                    the Christmas Can-Can and The Twelve Days of Christmas...hysterical!

Comment

Doing a lot of similar work myself as I get out to the barn at dusk. We don't have an indoor, but there's just enough ambient light from the barn and the moon that I can see the white arena rail. I found that if I listen to my usual "kicking ass and taking names" music I get frustrated and upset. I will probably make some "walk-work" playlists this weekend, but I'm working on some audio books for now.

If you have an offbeat sense of humor, I'd strongly suggest John Dies At The End by David Wong. I finished that about a week ago and started on the follow up This Book Is Full Of Spiders. Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It last night. Both are somewhere inbetween horror and comedy, and will keep you pretty entertained.

Comment

Doesn't anybody listen to oldies?

The last couple days I've been listing to a 15 CD set that is the re-creation of the Vanderbilt University SAE house's jute box from the mid 70s. (I'm not that old--I just have friends who are! ) Old pop, motown, a little folk and any thing else that was big from the mid 60s to the 70s. It's over 200 songs and about every other one I have an "OMG-this-is-the-greatest-song-I-forgot-about!" moment.

Comment

Working...
                                        X