• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Leslie Law clinic write up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie Law clinic write up

I was very lucky to get to ride with Leslie Law this past weekend and it was wonderful!

Here are some notes and reflections with video about my rides!

Day 1

Day 2
    Big Idea Eventing

Nice job! Leslie is coming to the Cincinnati area in January. I have been trying to decide if I want to go. I am not much for pulling a horse trailer, if the weather decides to get bad.

Do you feel that auditing would be beneficial?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

• Original Poster

Auburn, yes, I think so.

I do think he is one of the more "subtle" instructors I've ridden with, so you may not take away a WHOLE BUNCH if you're not sitting on something, but I stayed all day the first day and learned plenty.
      Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the write up! I LOVE clinics, and as soon as I win the lottery plan to ride with many, many top ones.
        http://tailsoftheottb.blogspot.com

Comment

I love the Laws! I blogged the one clinic I did with them:

http://lawsclinic.blogspot.com/

I think you would get something out of auditing.
          --Becky in TX
          Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
          She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Thank you for the great report. The Laws live 2 hours from me, and I am fortunate to take from Lesley (she) when time permits.

Comment

I rode with him last summer in the BN group a week before my first novice. I enjoyed the clinic, especially since x-country day was at stuart horse trials, so we got to play with the coffin and water complex. That said, I absolutely would not recommend him for a green horse, especially if the horse (or rider) is a bit nervous. The first day, he never changed the striding of any of the lines. The BN riders/horses and prelim riders all jumped the same lines. BN was a BIG BN and the lines were extremely forward, especially the 4 to 1. A lot of the green horses had trouble with it. Then, the prelim riders had to ride the lines really tight. The 1 stride especially was TIGHT for prelim and LONG for BN. I was riding a novice horse and planned on doing my first novice a week later, so we were ok. I didn't find that he actually gave much advice if you weren't having major problems. He just kept saying 'good' and then going to the next rider. There was a lot I could have been doing better, but I only got advice if I totally missed.

X-day was a lot of fun, but again not terribly beginner friendly or informative. Being at stuart, there was no 'warm-up' for the BN horses, every jump was maxed out BN. I got to do the full coffin, down banks, and jump the little bank into the water. Again, not much advice, although he did help me with one big thing. When my horse would get too forward and rude, he had my pull back with hands low and not raise them.

Leslie Law is a really nice guy and very funny. I don't regret doing the clinic and did get two big things out of it (don't lift hands, count to the jumps), but I feel like my money would be better spent with a different clinician who gives more input, or lots of lessons with my trainer. JMO, other's may prefer his teaching style. I know one of my friends at the barn LOVED the clinic, but hated the Lucinda clinic that I loved.

Comment

Our trainer is the one putting on the clinic with Leslie in Cincinnati in January, we are praying for nice weather for any traveling in. My daughter rode with him early this summer at one LAZ's clinics and she really really loved riding with Leslie and will be riding with him again at our clinic in January.

Here is a link to the clinic info for anyone whoever be interested:
                Leslie Law Clinic

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
                  That said, I absolutely would not recommend him for a green horse, especially if the horse (or rider) is a bit nervous.
                  I feel the need to say that I had a very different experience. I did a 2 day Leslie Law clinic with my 4 year old and it was great. Yes, the lines for the stadium were set up and stayed at the same tighter distance for all of the groups - but the horses were not over faced or over jumped and quickly learned how to figure it out. He did not drill them over the jumps - if you did it calmly once he then moved on to the next exercise, whether indoors or out.

A barn friend of mine is a bit of the worrier type - new horse and she wasn't 100% comfortable yet cross country so would stress. Leslie had her going over the coffin & training level jumps with a *huge* grin on her face. From that I concluded that while he does push horse and rider, he does not overface and if you trust him you will come away with many good things.

He is hilarious as well by the way. I had previously posted a link to his riding demonstration on how to mount a horse and if you haven't seen it take a look:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aEF37NPY-w

If you're not the patient type skip forward to the 1:15 marker

Comment

I also rode with him on a green 4 year old.....I got a good amount out of it. It was challenging but not too much. Only negative I had was my boy was bucking quite a bit xc....would have liked Leslie to get on him but he said I was doing fine. I was doing fine...just would rather not have been riding the little stinker. But honestly, I was fine to work through it and we did....I just asked a couple of times whether he was sure he didn't want to get on him and show me

I would ride with him again in a heart beat. He gave me some good exercises on the flat that I still use.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Original Poster

I need LL to come ride my horse again. The magic has left us.
                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

So, what distance(s) were the poles? (12'???)
                          I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                            So, what distance(s) were the poles? (12'???)
                            First exercise: five poles set 9' apart.

I've been doing this with some of my greener horses/students at home and rolling them out to 10'.
                            Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I have a short clip from when I did a clinic with him last summer. I found I learned a lot with what he was saying in between rides, although he did give me good pointers on what I should work on, as well as a couple tools for the future, which I've used on course with success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyci...A&feature=plcp

My horse is still rather green (as in she started eventing last year, 1 BN, 3 N, and moved up to training this year, and hadn't started schooling T stuff until this clinic - I don't know if we ever jumped into water before the clinic). She was perfectly fine until the ditch, when she really didn't want to leave the group, and stopped at the ditch - and I stopped riding. Really I just needed to ride, and not sit there saying "omg we are stopping at a ditch, we don't stop at ditches, we jumped this coffin last year no problem" ><

Comment

Make sure part of the equation...is "she" Law....she has just as valuable information!

Comment

I have been working some with Leslie this past year as much as I can seeing as I am 6 Hours from him. I can not say enough about the awesomeness of Law Eventing, the "he and she". My pony and I have had a tough summer and fall together so I took him to Leslie for a week of boot camp and had Leslie ride him in an event. I was reminded of so many things just watching him ride my guy, how a quiet, steady, methodical ride works so beautifully. Gave me a picture to ride for!!!
                                  I have cliniced and taken lessons from him and traveled from Atlanta to Ocala several times because it is worth it!!!! Seeing him again in January and I can't wait!!!! Go and Enjoy!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X