• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Intermediate level eventer "Birchill Clover" sold through AC4H

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anne M View Post
    I just got off the phone with the lady who rescued him from the kill broker. Very nice woman, and her daughter plans to ride him in equestrian team. He will live out his days on 30 acres of bluegrass in Kentucky.
    Anne just for clarity. I thought that the people who "rescued" him from the kill broker would be the AC4H people. That then sold the horse to the woman you spoke to. Or did the AC4H lady buy him?

Comment

I sent this link to the new owner, I am sure she would love to hear stories about his past. Good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by NRB View Post
        Anne just for clarity. I thought that the people who "rescued" him from the kill broker would be the AC4H people. That then sold the horse to the woman you spoke to. Or did the AC4H lady buy him?
        AC4H has a listing service (like CANTER, FLF, etc) where they list horses for the Broker, and then they have a separate rescue operation. This horse was purchased through the broker. AC4H just gets the horses visability/handles the paperwork.

Comment

oh, ok I got it. Like buying a horse off the track through Canter.

Comment

Yes, but because the horses are online their prices are usually twice what they'd be if you bought them directly from the auction owner.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
              I hope this guy works out. But I do tend to think they end up at auction for a reason. I know a horse with almost an identical story - imported from England, went Intermediate, sold through Courtney Cooper at one point, also...ended up being donated to a school's riding program because of a wicked buck. The school got tired of him bucking off their students and was getting ready to send him to auction when some people I know picked him up. The wicked buck continues...I've seen the horse a handful of times, and maybe it is just the bad luck of my presence, but on those few occasions, the rides where the kid has coming flying off him outnumber the rides where she remained on for the entire ride. :-( I'd hate to be stuck with one like that in my barn...not sure what I'd do, to be honest. But he's beautiful and big and kind mannered on the ground and can be ridden without the buck showing up and you'd be left amazed to think he was headed for auction...until the buck showed up.
              I know this might spark a lot of controversy, but I would put a horse down before sending him on due to dangerous behavior. Several years ago, I put a horse down because he was dangerous to ride and was either going to seriously hurt someone, or end up on a truck to slaughter. I spent a lot of money with a cowboy (who ended up seriously hurt and called me to come pick up the horse), and on diagnoses, all on a $900 horse. I could have kept him as a lawn ornament but I know I will not always live where I live, with ample pasture, etc., and sooner or later, he would have to go. And, I could easily have found a companion home for him, but horses live a long time and you can never be assured that the new owners will keep the horse forever, or not try one day to hop on his back. This was a painful decision, but a humane one and I don't ever regret it.

And if I had a horse that was chronically in pain, I'd do the same. It would not be without sadness and mourning, but it would, in the end, be in the best interest of the horse.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. If they are not rideable, do the right thing and euthanize so you know for sure they never make their way to the kill pens, the double decker transports, and the slaughter house.

Comment

Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                  I know this might spark a lot of controversy, but I would put a horse down before sending him on due to dangerous behavior. ...
                  I think this is becoming much more common. I've been on the COTH forums since 2007 or 2008, and the attitude has really changed about when to put a horse down. Perhaps we're treating them more like pets. Perhaps people are more concerned about liability if they sell a horse that is known to be dangerous. Perhaps it's the economy (there are a lot of well-behaved, talented horses out there, and the price has dropped, so why take on a rogue?)

Also, peoples' reactions are changing. Not as many are critical of those who decide to put a horse down when things go bad.
                  You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Maybe, through the internet, people are more aware of the bad fates that can happen and are realizing that selling a horse to a "perfect home" isn't always the case. The auction house looms large in the face of a horse who might make a mistake. I, for one, would MUCH rather put a horse to sleep than run the risk of his ending up in the hands of a nasty trainer, a kill buyer or worse. Obviously I'm not going to run around killing my horses but I do think a bag of carrots and a stick in the neck is a MUCH better ending than some of the other possibilities. ;-(
                    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
                      Maybe, through the internet, people are more aware of the bad fates that can happen and are realizing that selling a horse to a "perfect home" isn't always the case. The auction house looms large in the face of a horse who might make a mistake. I, for one, would MUCH rather put a horse to sleep than run the risk of his ending up in the hands of a nasty trainer, a kill buyer or worse. Obviously I'm not going to run around killing my horses but I do think a bag of carrots and a stick in the neck is a MUCH better ending than some of the other possibilities. ;-(
                      Great post on a sad topic.

Frankly, I'm happy that the internet sheds light on a subject that was easily swept under the rug. It's time to end the fantasy that there are all these great homes out there for unwanted horses. It has been too easy to look the other way, for far too long and pretend. It's a lot harder to do that with the truth staring you in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                        Yes, but because the horses are online their prices are usually twice what they'd be if you bought them directly from the auction owner.
                        The difference being the horses get more exposure when they are listed online. Agree or disagree with the group, at least the horses have a better chance to go to a home vs. slaughter, and the horses all get assessed to some degree.

I would be curious to know if the prices are negotiable.
                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jenm View Post
                          The difference being the horses get more exposure when they are listed online. Agree or disagree with the group, at least the horses have a better chance to go to a home vs. slaughter, and the horses all get assessed to some degree.

I would be curious to know if the prices are negotiable.
                          To my knowledge they are not. It might be if you were talking direct to the broker/dealer, but you are not allowed to contact them directly and have to go through AC4H. It's rough, because there usually is quite a discrepancy between what the dealer got the horse for and how much they're getting, but there's no real room for negotiation as far as I know.
                          "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                            To my knowledge they are not. It might be if you were talking direct to the broker/dealer, but you are not allowed to contact them directly and have to go through AC4H. It's rough, because there usually is quite a discrepancy between what the dealer got the horse for and how much they're getting, but there's no real room for negotiation as far as I know.
                            Not picking on AC4H specifically here because I don't know that much about them, but in general, on sites where people are asked to "chip in" to save a horse, there have been cases where the broker ends up collecting far more than the stated price of the horse.

This makes for interesting reading: http://www.insidebainbridge.com/2012...for-slaughter/
                            Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                            EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

betonbill:

Was it this horse?

http://clippersstory.blogspot.com/

seems to be doing well.
                              "I swear it happened just like this" - Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                                AC4H has a listing service (like CANTER, FLF, etc) where they list horses for the Broker, and then they have a separate rescue operation. This horse was purchased through the broker. AC4H just gets the horses visability/handles the paperwork.
                                I don't think this is accurate in this instance. I believe the "kill broker" and the "listing service" are actually the same business. It's all about dead presidents.
                                Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                                Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I'm still interested to know how a horse in enough work to be nicely clipped and cared for ended up dumped with AC4H/ kill broker.

Comment

Originally posted by TotB View Post
                                    I'm still interested to know how a horse in enough work to be nicely clipped and cared for ended up dumped with AC4H/ kill broker.
                                    I wonder the same thing.... and I can't help but feel anger toward whoever dumped him. I'd bet he has some serious soundness issue and whoever it was, just made a really stupid and cruel decision. Lucky horse that he was scooped up and not sent on a truck to Mexico.

But on a larger scope, no horse, no matter how poor the quality, deserves to be sent to a kill broker. It doesn't matter whether he was a gold medal winner or a plow horse. The heart and soul are the same. It's just that in the case, the owner should have known better and had resources to make a more humane decision.

grrrrr........

Comment

That also could have been an old picture the people who were selling/sending the horse to the auction provided. May not be his current state of appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by kmwines01 View Post
                                        That also could have been an old picture the people who were selling/sending the horse to the auction provided. May not be his current state of appearance.
                                        His video on the auction lot had him with the same clip and sleek appearance.
                                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Originally posted by TotB View Post
                                          I can think of several thing that can cause this to happen....divorce. non-horsey parents. creditor (fail to pay board etc).
                                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Working...
                                          X