• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Current Horse-for-sale lists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great eventing prospects at www.canterusa.org
    CANTER Colorado
    www.canterusa.org/colorado
    www.facebook.com/cantercolorado

Comment

Why do you prefer to discuss pricing off board? You're selling something--why keep the price a secret?
      If you are a serious buyer than you will call, if you are a tire kicker you look and keep going.
      Also as a horse progresses from raw to developing talent the price can and will change.
      When the horse does make it to webb site w/ quality photo's, a video and more evaluation then a price is Posted.
      I also put horses up on DreamHorse.com w/ prices.

FaceBook is just an FYI look see of what I have just arived and I prefer to talk w/ a real person rather than cyber chat.

Case in point I was asked about a youngster I saw/bought but did not have yet.
      Pushed for a price so I gave a ballpark number...Horse arrives get to spend some time over week w/ horse. Did let 1st person know horse was here but they didn't get the Message on FB..So I re-evaluated determined a value and sold the horse for more than I had previously anticipated off a 1st impression pricing.
      Plus I prefer not to have comments about pricing on FB.

Kairoshorses, I must do something right because I have clients fly in from Hawaii, based in video, photo and phone conversation.

Comment

If I could appreciate the kairohorses' post multiple times I would. A 15 second clip of a horse being chased around a round pen tells me nothing. I want to see all three gaits (briefly is okay) at liberty and under saddle. Please include the transitions under saddle. You gotta love a 3 year old warmblood advertised as under saddle and priced at $35k and you never see the canter on the 6 minute video.

Not including prices seems to be trendy and I can't imagine why. You can always say price subject to increase with training. Buyers are generally working with a budget, why would you want to waste your time with emails/calls about how much? It's a rather simple screening tool on both ends. (except for the dodos that have a $5k budget and think that $15k obo is within the realm of possiblity.)

FB is good for shopping, but trolling thru timelines is cumbersome. The most effective sellers I've seen are good about creating a specific photo album per horse.

Oh and another thing about videos, if you are regularly selling multiple horses per year, please, please, please invest in a hd camcorder with image stabilization and/or a tripod, monopod. My dad has Parkinsons and I swear he could shoot a steadier video than some I see. Makes me crazy.... and mildly seasick.
        If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Comment

• Original Poster

Just two comments about what I have found as a "shopper"...

If you are advertising a sale horse, at least give an idea of the price range. With no idea of the price, I am too afraid of wasting the seller's time and embarrassing myself to look further. I just pass it over.

Also, a decent video in focus is essential. I have looked at SO many videos that do not answer the basic questions. Please show all 3 gaits as well as some over-fence work if the horse is able.

Transitions would be OK also but when shopping for a somewhat green horse, I don't care if he tosses his head when picking up the canter. I do care if the horse is unwilling to canter on both leads.

Comment

If I post a horse on faeebook, I don't post the price. It is sort of a privacy issue for me as I really don't like my friends and family looking at the prices of my horses. But on any other site, the price is listed, because those sites are specifically for people searching for a horse.

I figure if someone discovers a horse through facebook and they are seriously looking to buy, a PM is easy and quick.

Comment

ahbaumgardner, I agree in esence but not specifis w/ you my family could care less.

Jen Johnston also sells green OTTB as I do and she 1. doesn't post prices 2. Has no lack of clients and no webb site that I know of.

I usually target a specific market and do alot of Direct Marketing that does include a short video clip, good stills w/ leg/feet/conformation shots.
              If a serious customer wants more we try to accomidate w/in reason but an on-site visit is encouraged. I have a tried and true process and sell enough horses yearly to know if it ain't broke don't fix it.....

If I were selling $35k finished product then a diffrent approach could be required but thats not my schtick and I am smart enough to stay where my market is....

Comment

Jbrp, I think you do an excellent job of serving your market. I like your at liberty videos because the horses don't appear chased and rushed out of their natural tempo. As for prices, if they are somewhere I don't care if they are on FB or not.

I'm sure Jen does a great job and she seems to move her horses quickly, but I do wish she would put up prices. Every time I've messaged her, the price has been more than reasonable.

One more video pet peeve - slow motion is absolutely useless except as a dramatic effect and maybe to show form over a fence. Step away from the slow-mo button! Lol
                If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by kritter keeper View Post
                  I am in the same predicament.... Sellers do us a favor, post ur prices on ur website and link ur videos to youtube for convenience for all of us who are searching. It is frustrating beyond belief when a seller refuses to respond to a text, an email, but finds time to accept ur facebook friend request...then proceed to ignore ur instant MSG a second later.
                  I hate to say this, but if I were a seller (I do not sell horses, so this is totally just an "if" thing) I may not respond to you either. I would want phone calls or email, not text messages. And if emails or PMs were written as above ("ur", etc) I would probably make the mistake of assuming you were not serious or possibly not an adult.

Back when I was representing horses (or trying to) I did my best to answer each inquiry, but short questions, phrased badly or spelled with text speak, almost inevitably were not worth the time and effort of a response, as 99.9% of the time I would not get a return email after I'd gotten back to those people.

It's probably a mistake to think like that, but if you really want information, IMO, it is best to write a coherent, mature sounding email. If they ignore that, well, that is a problem. But I think FB messaging/texting (especially if the phrasing sounds/reads.... "young") is probably not the way most people want to deal with potential buyers. Also remember a lot of people are not on the computer all the time - it's easy to accept a friend request via phone without thinking about it, but fb chat on the phone (when the person might be doing a bunch of other things) not so easy. Another reason it's a pretty horrible method of making inquiries
                  "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

_How_ do you search for sale horses on Facebook? Yes, I am a technological idiot, but as an actively looking for a horse buyer, I know how to search websites, but not Facebook, and if Facebook is the way to go, please enlighten me!

Comment

Check out WestWind Farms, they have some nice eventers for sale... www.WestWindEquine.com

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                        I hate to say this, but if I were a seller (I do not sell horses, so this is totally just an "if" thing) I may not respond to you either. I would want phone calls or email, not text messages. And if emails or PMs were written as above ("ur", etc) I would probably make the mistake of assuming you were not serious or possibly not an adult.

Back when I was representing horses (or trying to) I did my best to answer each inquiry, but short questions, phrased badly or spelled with text speak, almost inevitably were not worth the time and effort of a response, as 99.9% of the time I would not get a return email after I'd gotten back to those people.

It's probably a mistake to think like that, but if you really want information, IMO, it is best to write a coherent, mature sounding email. If they ignore that, well, that is a problem. But I think FB messaging/texting (especially if the phrasing sounds/reads.... "young") is probably not the way most people want to deal with potential buyers. Also remember a lot of people are not on the computer all the time - it's easy to accept a friend request via phone without thinking about it, but fb chat on the phone (when the person might be doing a bunch of other things) not so easy. Another reason it's a pretty horrible method of making inquiries
                        Well, I do sell a horse here and there, and I can say that I am quite picky about who comes to see a horse. I would estimate that I reject over 50% on the phone or via email/facebook. It seems that folks have lots of advice about what sellers should do, but from the other side of the fence, I think there are a lot of things that buyers should do as well. And when it comes to making an impression on a buyer, here are some thoughts I've had:

1. Do not fb message someone and ask that they call you. The seller has provided contact info and if you are serious, you will contact the seller. And I appreciate an email, followed up by a phone call.

2. Always be polite and courteous. I recently showed a horse to a party who did not pay the cross country fee required of the facility, despite my request, never thanked me and never followed up afterwards. This same party had trainer give potential client a very lengthy "how to jump off a bank into water" lesson, that was totally unnecessary. I attempted to intervene, but wanting to be polite, did not assert myself enough.

3. If you make an appointment, show up or cancel well ahead of time. A couple of years ago, I had more people NOT show up than actually show up. I don't know what was in the air, but I was not a happy camper.

3. If you cannot pay the price, do not come see the horse! How many times have people called me back later, saying that they want the horse but cannot afford the purchase price? I do not think it is my responsibility to ask a prospective buyer if they can afford the price tag.

4. If you are shopping for a horse for your kid, make sure that you do the contacting. I do not do business with minors and have been duped enough times by 12 year olds that I've jokingly said that I am going to require a faxed picture id of prospective buyers. As much as we all love kids (ha), kids typically do not have checkbooks.

5. Please do not request special pictures or videos if you are not very serious about a horse. It takes some of us a great deal of effort to get extra pictures and videos. Same goes for even looking at a horse.

6. When you are trying out a horse, this is not a time to bring your friend(s) or students along to ride as well. Watch me ride the horse, and then you ride the horse. We don't do pony rides or provide lesson horses

I have had some lovely experiences. Case in point: last weekend a prospective buyer showed up with a bag of carrots and chopped apples. Now that really made my heart smile, as I am so attached to this horse! Big bonus points for bringing treats and making over the horse! And buyer brought along two others, one with camera and one with video, and they actually asked permission to shoot photos. The entire party was gracious, complimentary, and geeze oh pete, I think the horse wanted to climb in their car and go home with them. If you want to get a good deal on a horse, play this game and the buyer will be motivated!

Just a perspective from the other side.

Comment

Working...
                        X