• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Boarding (field or stall) near Washington, DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarding (field or stall) near Washington, DC

Hi!

I am planning to move to Washington DC in May or June, and I would love to be able to bring my thoroughbred with me. Because of the busy work schedule I anticipate having, I likely will only be able to ride him on the weekends, so he will more or less be a pet. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced places near DC to board? I'd be open to field or stall board, assuming the facilities were nice enough and safe. The closer to DC the better, and I do not need an indoor. I'm looking for something affordable, as I'm just starting out on my own after college. I know "cheap" is a longshot in this area, but the cheaper the better. He's a sweet guy and an easy keeper, so I'd also be open to keeping him at a private farm and working something out with the owners.

Let me know if you have any ideas, and thanks so much for your help!

Welcome! Good luck with the move to DC, you will LOVE the area as long as you can put up with high prices and absurd traffic. Just so you know there is a "search" function on COTH where you can search old topics. There are literally 2435098 topics on boarding around DC, both Maryland and Virginia sides.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Here is the synopsis of this well worn topic: There is no cheap board near DC. There is almost no field board near DC. There are places to board, but will cost you $$$ unless you go further out, and then you will pay $$$ in gas as well as hours on the road. It would be advisable to get here and see what the area is like before even trying to move your horse here. I wish I could be more positive.
      Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Are you going to be living in the city or in one of the suburbs? If you can narrow down where you will be living it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

Comment

• Original Poster

I will likely be living in the city, but if not I'll probably be in Arlington.

Comment

I'm from VA, lived in Arlington for the last 5+y and drove to Poolesville md for lessons or out to middleburg/lovettsville to ride. An hour each way, no traffic. Timed after 0930h & before 1500h or after 1930h, you should be fine

It sucks.
            And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Comment

If you're willing to drive an hour outside of the city, check in Frederick county. Lots of cheap field board available.

My barn is great and field board is around $250 a month, with tons of T/O and awesome BO. Its about 50 miles from downtown.

You can PM me if you'd like other suggestions in frederick, etc.
              Barn rat for life

Comment

I board at Equidistance Horse Center in Upper Marlboro MD which is only a 25 min drive from DC. The barn owner is a vet tech and takes excellent care of the horses. I boarded my 18 year old schoolmaster at a large boarding farm in VA when I first bought him but after three weeks he lost a ton of weight and was miserable. Within a month at Equidistance he started looking much better and now he looks like he's 14. We have both hunter jumper and dressage riders, mostly adult amateur and many of whom are busy professionals who come before or after work to ride. We frequently clinic with many top trainers including Felicitas von-Neumann Cosel and Linda Zang and we have other trainers available on site for lessons and training rides. We also travel to the BEST Hunter/Jumper and licensed dressage shows together. Last year three of our riders qualified for GAIGs at training-2nd level. If you are a busy professional (or intern!) that needs a boarding facility close to the city with excellent care at a very reasonable cost you should check out Equidistance http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equidi...37625072976024

Comment

Here are some suggestions if you are going to live in NW area of DC - say G'town/ Glover Park areas -these could take you anywhere from 30 to 45+ min depending on traffic. There's a good tack shop on your way out to most of them too!

You could try Calithea which has field and stall board - it's mostly a pleasure boarding barn but there is an H/J and low level event trainer who teaches there. Worth a try - the manager there really looks after the field horses; nice large lighted outdoor and great trails. Its located about 5 miles past Potomac, MD.

Another place would be Two Sisters Farm - they have field and stall board I believe and I think stall is around $600; mix of boarders- eventers and fox hunters mostly I believe. Her daughters are fantastic riders so could help keep your horse tuned up for you if need be. Two Sisters is in Poolesville/Dickerson area. I think Canterbury and Wyndam Oaks have field board, Wyndam Oaks is fairly pricey, not sure about Canterbury - both are in Boyds Maryland. For Canterbury you can go to Bigeasyfarm.com for info - he's a trainer that works out of that barn; wyndam-oaks.com; and another in that area would be Moon Rising - they have a huge indoor, outdoor, lots of trails - dressage and eventing barn and offer stall & field board. Moonrisingfarm.com. I have friends who board at all of these places and seem happy w/ them.

Comment

Originally posted by hannoveriangirl View Post
                    I board at Equidistance Horse Center in Upper Marlboro MD which is only a 25 min drive from DC. The barn owner is a vet tech and takes excellent care of the horses. I boarded my 18 year old schoolmaster at a large boarding farm in VA when I first bought him but after three weeks he lost a ton of weight and was miserable. Within a month at Equidistance he started looking much better and now he looks like he's 14. We have both hunter jumper and dressage riders, mostly adult amateur and many of whom are busy professionals who come before or after work to ride. We frequently clinic with many top trainers including Felicitas von-Neumann Cosel and Linda Zang and we have other trainers available on site for lessons and training rides. We also travel to the BEST Hunter/Jumper and licensed dressage shows together. Last year three of our riders qualified for GAIGs at training-2nd level. If you are a busy professional (or intern!) that needs a boarding facility close to the city with excellent care at a very reasonable cost you should check out Equidistance http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equidi...37625072976024
                    I would not recommend this barn if you're trying to do inexpensive (board is around $600 last time I checked) and want decent turnout and good riding arenas. Their "fields" are small, rocky, and hardly any grass (mostly weeds). The indoor is dusty and tiny and the footing isn't great. There is an outdoor, but it's straight up bluestone, and unless it rains, is hard as a rock and dusty. The barn manager WAS a small animal vet tech, but now "runs" the barn full-time. The horses get 3 flakes of hay thrown out for each horse in turnout and the flakes aren't measured by weight, so you have horses turned out all night/day with little to do but cause trouble with each other. Unless the hay quality has changed, the flakes weren't substantial. Turnover has been fairly high there in the past 6 months. There are plenty of other places in the area who offer what you're looking for at a more reasonable price with better facilities and who have management with more thorough experience and who are more professional.
                    Last edited by Alteration By Design; May. 1, 2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Just FYI - this thread is several months old, bumped up by hannoveriangirl with the same post as in another old thread about boarding in the DC area. The identical posts, bumping up old threads, and small number of posts (all of which are identical posts about Equidistance bumping up old threads) makes me suspicious of some back-door advertising...
                      ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
                      www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Comment

For what it's worth, by checking into the email address of the person who bumped this thread with a farm recommendation, we found it connected to someone who appears to be a legitimate boarder and not the owner of the farm.

That said, we don't mind folks recommending places where they board, or even ones they run, in response to an existing, ACTIVE thread. Bumping a bunch of old threads to promote a place isn't appropriate, however, so we removed all of the posts but this one to explain the policy.

Thanks!
                        Mod 1

Comment

Yes I am a legitimate boarder and strongly reccomend Equidistance so I posted about it. Being a busy professional I did not have time to draft a number of uniquely tailored posts but want to let people know about this barn and the great opportunity it presents for AA riders in the DC area. I did not realize the policy against posting in old threads as I figured the topic is still very relevant for many DC area riders. I disagree with Alteration by Design as my horse is a little special needs and has always recieved top care at Equidistance. I used to groom for an olympic level show Jumper before college so I can differentiate between good care and bad care. I guess to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by hannoveriangirl View Post
                            Yes I am a legitimate boarder and strongly reccomend Equidistance so I posted about it. Being a busy professional I did not have time to draft a number of uniquely tailored posts but want to let people know about this barn and the great opportunity it presents for AA riders in the DC area. I did not realize the policy against posting in old threads as I figured the topic is still very relevant for many DC area riders. I disagree with Alteration by Design as my horse is a little special needs and has always recieved top care at Equidistance. I used to groom for an olympic level show Jumper before college so I can differentiate between good care and bad care. I guess to each their own.
                            You are fortunate that you are apparently one of the lucky ones. Just know that your experience at Equidistance is not the experience that most would enjoy. In other words, everyone is not treated equally there. If you are upper level dressage and allow the manager/owner to ride your horse, she will treat you very well. Same is true if you are lower level and become a student. Impression is unless you have something to offer the owner/manager you are not welcome. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Comment

Not to sidetrack, but the newish "similar threads" feature at the bottom of each thread does seem to increase the necroposting lately. Several of the ones I'm seeing on this thread are 3 years old.

Comment

Im probably guilty as I don't always check the date(s) of the post.. I'll check from now on..

Comment

Working...
                                X