• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

No unrecognized or schooling shows for ULR's ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarrieK View Post

Wait here, I want to get my other torch (the big one!)
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

• Original Poster

I think that if you have a trainer or friend who rides at the upper levels, you ought to make sure that they know of this potential rule, because even if it's stupid...etc.....someone is sure to rat on someone at a schooling show.

I still think you can get around the "competing" definition by riding hor concours -- then technically, you are not competing but participating in the competition without "honor" and are not included in the classification of the event. I also think that ULR's could get away with "exhibition" in schooling shows, etc. Either of those might provide an "out" for a pro.

But I think this will truly kill bareback puissance, indoor eventing, Derby Cross, et al.

On the other hand it could encourage unrecognized schooling venues to consider recognition and that's a good thing. And it might assist the USEA to develop a new recognition program for "educational" events while keeping the character and feel of our beloved unrecognized events, but bringing them in under the fold in some way so that we wouldn't jeopardize the small group of FEI event riders and judges we have in this country.

Shameless plug: please check the Envy and Empathy blog I recently posted on HJU -- it's one of my best, I think....and it's in keeping with this theme of upper level riders and their dilemmas....http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/20...y-and-empathy/
      Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
      Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Hey guys, I'm going to look into this issue for the Chronicle.

I have a feeling it was spawned because the FEI was not pleased when top level European grand prix show jumping riders were turning down competing at Nations Cup competitions in favor of showing at the lucrative Global Champions Tour events. Similar issues arose with dressage and the World Dressage Masters competitions.

Molly

Comment

It looks like the FEI wants a monopoly.
          Kanoe Godby
          www.dyrkgodby.com
          See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Comment

Super blog post, Retread. And thanks, Molly: I'm looking forward to your article. it's good to have the perspective of talented and intelligent writers like the two of you.

Kick on.
            They don't call me frugal for nothing.
            Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
              I think that if you have a trainer or friend who rides at the upper levels, you ought to make sure that they know of this potential rule, because even if it's stupid...etc.....someone is sure to rat on someone at a schooling show.

I still think you can get around the "competing" definition by riding hor concours -- then technically, you are not competing but participating in the competition without "honor" and are not included in the classification of the event. I also think that ULR's could get away with "exhibition" in schooling shows, etc. Either of those might provide an "out" for a pro.
              But if my trainer has to ride my horse HC I won't get a pretty ribbon !!

Comment

Originally posted by Molly Sorge View Post
                Hey guys, I'm going to look into this issue for the Chronicle.

I have a feeling it was spawned because the FEI was not pleased when top level European grand prix show jumping riders were turning down competing at Nations Cup competitions in favor of showing at the lucrative Global Champions Tour events. Similar issues arose with dressage and the World Dressage Masters competitions.

Molly
                Then the FEI needs to raise their game. Competition raises the game...they should not be able to change the rules like a spoiled child unhappy taking their ball and going home. They should be asking "how can we keep people and draw more in?" JMHO

Comment

competition & 'HC' - eh, why don't we all just go to a show and get a ribbon, and leave with a smile, to appease the FEI people.

Comment

This is VERY interesting..since I am a Level 1 FEI Dressage Steward and compete @ BN on my horse and Intro on my Greenies...in April I was to take the test for eventing...Hmmmmm can't wait for more to come out on this...

Comment

Honestly, they may have made this rule because of the Global Champions Show Jumping series which operates outside the FEI. Maybe they could see handwriting on walls if a non-FEI series could start up, offer more prize money than recognized FEI shows and suck all the top riders away from the lesser FEI competitions.

If that is what is intended, they certainly used an elephant gun to kill a gnat.
                      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Hee Hee

Would love to see AQHA vs FEI in the court of law re the reiners
                        _\\]
                        -- * > hoopoe
                        Procrastinate NOW
                        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Originally posted by hoopoe View Post
                          Hee Hee

Would love to see AQHA vs FEI in the court of law re the reiners
                          Yep, Virginians and Westerners are not about to let a European - led sport Union dictate how their shows and their barns using show-based business models have to be run! In my part of Virginia, there are still an appreciable number of people still arguing over the fundamentals of the Civil War.
                          HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
                          www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Comment

Molly, if that is true, what about riders on teams that are not invited to the Nations Cup (like the US)? What about riders on teams that are invited to the Nations Cup but are not selected for the team? Why shouldn't they be allowed to compete at GCT, for example, if they wouldn't be allowed to compete at an FEI event on the same weekend?

This smacks of monopoly, and it will be interesting to see if a country with financial horse-power decides to file an anti-trust action on behalf of its competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
                              On the other hand it could encourage unrecognized schooling venues to consider recognition and that's a good thing.
                              Not entirely. Anytime you add more layers of governance, you increase costs to the competitors. I'm very lucky to have found several schooling events this year to attend that are run by extremely knowledgible folks, officiated by licensed officials, but are NOT USEA recognized. The cost difference was HALF in most cases from what a recognized event would be. These events are vitale to the future of the sport as those just starting out are able to get a taste of eventing without breaking their bank to do it. One event I went to this fall we took 5 horses and riders (was supposed to be 6 but one rider fell ill). 4 of the 5 riders had never ridden in an event, 2 of them were from the same family (who stretch their budget to maintain (BOARDING) a horse for each of their 3 kids). 2 of the kids did 2' starter and 2 of them did a ground poles division. There's no way you could have convinced the parents to spend sanctioned event $$ to attend this first event... but each of those kids has the bug now to continue (well, 3 of the 4 anyway). Were there FEI level riders at the event? I don't know. I doubt it. But I was riding a greenie at his first event and I USED to be an FEI rider... so it's not out of hte realm of possibilities.
                              "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                Honestly, they may have made this rule because of the Global Champions Show Jumping series which operates outside the FEI. Maybe they could see handwriting on walls if a non-FEI series could start up, offer more prize money than recognized FEI shows and suck all the top riders away from the lesser FEI competitions.
                                Ok, but if the FEI still holds the qualification rules for things like the WEG and Olympics, what difference does it really matter? Riders will still need their qualifications AT FEI events. So they don't do all the FEI events. So what? Other than their pride which I couldn't give a rat's butt about, what does it matter? They truly are getting their egos in a snit the same as the "take my ball and go home" whiner.
                                "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Originally posted by goodmorning View Post
                                  Oh boy...

Got to love government.
                                  I don't count ANYTHING run by a self-important princess as a government, ROFL.
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Bye Bye, White Fences Dressage schooling shows. where 90% of the competitors are FEI. Bye Bye Aiken.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post

If that is what is intended, they certainly used an elephant gun to kill a gnat.
                                      I think this is the case. They're after elephants, not gnats. I expect the USEF to clarify the issue soon. Sheilagh Costello is pretty good at deciphering FEI code, at least she's always done a good job translating the qualification rules into something that I can understand.
                                      “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                                      ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

It also just occurred to me that we have no idea what the drug rules are for such things as the Global Champion Tour. The FEI has extended part of its drug rules to National level competitions, so all of the disciplines are now at least covered by similar drug rules worldwide. We all know how much tougher FEI drug rules are than USEF ones.

This really could be a good faith attempt to keep ULR riders from having lucrative options for showing outside the FEI drugging rules
                                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Originally posted by IFG View Post
                                          Would that include the indoor eventing circuit as well?
                                          Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                          My GUESS is that is the INTENDED target.
                                          Elephant afraid of the mouse again?
                                          "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Working...
                                          X