Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

A Tale of Two Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale of Two Riders

I love volunteering. I learn new things every time - and not necessarily just about riding.

Two experiences this weekend:

Rider #1: Shows up with a bandaged face. Says "I am so sorry to bother you, but I need to go get my chin stitched up. Would you maybe be able to work me in a little bit earlier?"

Rider #2: Shows up 15 minutes late. Sllooooowwwwwllly warms up. Addresses the starter with the comment "I know I'm late. I'm riding more than one horse. If you rode, you would understand."

Which rider are you?

Which one do you want to be?

I know which one I try to be. We have to be nice to all of our volunteers or the sport will shrivel up and die.

This weekend I went down to xcountry and they were running very late (~20mins). I walked for a long time, did a little stretching work, adn then all of a sudden they were calling my number and I hadn't jumped a thing. I tried to be very polite to the steward (while panicing slightly in my mind), and two nice people (thank you whoever you were) volunteered to go ahead of me so I could jump a fence or two. I made sure to thank the steward again as I headed over to the box, because it was obviously my fault for not realizing how quickly they had caught up.

The moral of both of your stories and mine is: it doesn't matter what happened or whose fault you might think it is, it isn't EVER the volunteer's fault. Thanks for all you do!
    "One thing vampire children have to be taught early is, don't run with a wooden stake."

Comment

If you RODE, you'd understand???

This is why I think EVERYONE who competes should be REQUIRED to volunteer.
      You know, on the planet where I get to make all the rules.
      The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Wow. "If you RODE?!" How the h@ll do they know if you do or don't?
        Just wow.

Comment

I think #1 because she may have just gotten a good slice from something and not because of a fall.
          Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

I would be embarrassed to be either of those two riders! I agree that everyone who competes should do some sort of volunteer work. I used to run a four ring recognized dressage show for years. I have seen and done all the work into putting a show on and now have a greater appreciation for the vast amount of time and thinking and planning that it takes. I now just smile and roll with the flow! No complaints or crazy request from me. Since I also grew up as a military brat my Dad clued me in as a kid to the military foundation of eventing. I am sure back in those days they did as they were told. No exceptions!!!

Comment

I took pennys and gave out water, during the UL rides at the Kentucky Classique. Most of the riders were very nice and thanked me for helping out. I found the Canadians to be most polite. Waylon Roberts was especially kind. Even though he had several rides, he always thanked me, had his penny off and was grateful for the water.

The penny taker at the AEC's was extremely helpful to me. Before I went x-country, I had a problem with my saddle pad. I had to dismount and fix it. She held Tess for me, while I remounted.

Volunteering is a great way to give back to our sport. The MSEDA requires at least 8 hours of volunteer work to be considered for year end awards. Do you believe that this is the only way to insure that riders will help out?
              When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

I don't volunteer at a recognized event because there are none within a 150 mile radius of my farm, and the few times a year I can go to a recognized event I ride. Instead, I hold a schooling horse trial on my farm once a year. It's a fundraiser for the local pony club, (my daughter is a member), and it's a boatload of work for me even though parents and friends help out a lot. I think it's crucial to be on both ends. If I'd been the started, I'd have been strongly tempted to eliminate rider #2 for missing her time--and being such a jerk about it.

Comment

Rider #2 is in need of a serious adjustment and needs to watch Boyd Martin at shows. That man rides at least 6 horses per show ( I think at one show he had something like 11 entered!) and is always super nice to the volunteers. He usually lets the staduim volunteer know how many he has (since he usually goes right to xc after stadium) and WORKS WITH the volunteer to get them all in - & in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Auburn View Post
                    I took pennys and gave out water, during the UL rides at the Kentucky Classique.
                    At first I was confused and thought that UL riders had started giving tips (in pennies) to volunteers...

Comment

I had a similar experience as stadium warm-up steward one weekend. There was a pro division at the end of a VERY long day, and everyone wanted to ride their last horses and go home. I had one rider come into the warm-up arena without checking in ("hellooooo?? you've ridden 100 horses today, I know YOU know you have to put your number in.") and then demand to go up right when she was ready. Needless to say, neither of us were very pleased with the other.
                      Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
                      Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Comment

I volunteered this weekend too. Dressage tack check. I wore my YR hat though, so I guess everyone knew I was a rider. Pretty much everyone was nice, and thanked me afterwards. My rings ran early, and even though I told everyone that they could wait for their time, they almost all took the early spot. One pro said he had to wait for his time, which of course I said was fine. There was one rider whose mom came over 3 or 4 times to make sure it was alright that her daughter might have to go a bit later since she had 2 horses going, and was very nice about it. I spoke to the rider after her, who said she would be happy switching times. There was only one rider who kept showing up like 3 minutes before her time, and then was kind of snotty about not having enough time. I have seen her basically attack volunteers before, because she thinks she is a bigger deal than she is. I guess I got off easy.

Im always nice to volunteers, and I try to do it myself whenever I can. Since I normally compete sundays and need saturdays to prep and clean tack/horse, its a nice change when I ride the young one saturdays in the LLs and then can volunteer all day sunday.

Comment

I really would like to see a culture change wrt volunteering. Please see this old thread:
                          http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...d.php?t=159044

We can complain about rudeness to volunteers, or we can do something to try to change the culture. In my spare time (haha) I would love to be part of a new organizational focus on volunteering.
                          SportHorseRiders.com
                          Taco Blog
                          *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

I think that perhaps the rude people are so rare that they stick out like the sore losers they are.

Most people seem gracious, polite and happy, though you do see some frazzled people at times. I always feel bad for the frazzled people.

Comment

Originally posted by cweimer View Post
                              Rider #2: Shows up 15 minutes late. Sllooooowwwwwllly warms up. Addresses the starter with the comment "I know I'm late. I'm riding more than one horse. If you rode, you would understand."
                              Response......"I do ride, and hence know that riding multiple horses is no excuse for being rude."

yeah...probably would have been too stunned to think of that response that fast. But he would have quickly moved to the bottom of my list and I would do very little to help such riders. Some people take themselves WAY too seriously.

Instead of a black list for dangerous riding....there should be a black list for rudeness....with pictures of the top members of that list posted on the USEA web site. Nothing like public shaming to straighten people up!
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

No Excuse for RUDE!

Especially to volunteers. I love to volunteer, because a) it's fun to help - b) I know that without volunteers, I wouldn't be able to ride & c) when I get a snotty, rude person, I can ignore them, that is really fun. Especially when they want favors, early go, etc.

I heard this a long time ago & it's worth remembering, it's not smart to shoot the volunteer army!

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                  Instead of a black list for dangerous riding....there should be a black list for rudeness....with pictures of the top members of that list posted on the USEA web site. Nothing like public shaming to straighten people up!
                                  Not a bad idea-- but I might tone this down a little to having a list of names of competitors with "unsportsmanlike conduct" on their records. Now-- would the list be used responsibly, I wonder? I.e. would a red jacket exempt one from appearing on the list?

How about that for a new rule to be passed during the "Year of the Volunteer"? Any volunteers to draft and submit?
                                  SportHorseRiders.com
                                  Taco Blog
                                  *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

Originally posted by cweimer View Post
                                    My first time at a particular venue, I got a bit lost and wound up in traffic that I did not expect - result was running late. By the time I checked in and got my horse ready, I was just about on time. I was ready to go right into the dressage ring and do my test sans warm up - after all, it was all my fault. The ring steward insisted I warm up. So I took a few minutes to warm up then went into the ring. The judge asked why I was late (about 3 min late, and the rider that was supposed to be after me had gone in before me). The judge was a bit terse and I explained what had happened and that the ring steward had told me to warm up. The judge just kind of nodded and I went on. I was so embarrassed about being late, though!

I can't image someone being so rude when running late. If you want to ride more than one horse, you just need to be more organized.

On another note, I was waiting to jump stadium and the girl before me gets eliminated for going off-course. She starts cursing at the judge, her MOM starts cursing (literally, profanity - my boyfriend was standing next to the judge's stand) about how it wasn't her fault, she did not have time to walk the course. Sorry about your luck, but cursing is not going to solve the problem. Needless to say, her elimination was not reversed.

Comment

I've been the starter, finish flag/timer, and jump judge at numerous events. Even if I'm competing I'll often volunteer to jump judge another division. It's a great way to give back to the sport and to see an event from an insider's perspective.

I once had a competitor throw a shoe on her last warm-up fence before XC. She politely spoke to the warm-up steward, who radioed the TD and got a change of times approved so she could quickly get to the farrier. The TD approved it, and everyone was notified. She had the grace to thank me when I was starting her, even though I had nothing to do with the decision. She also found the TD and the warm-up steward after her (clean) round and thanked them again. Those are the people you want to help.

The people I try to especially mind are the warm-up folks and bit check. Those folks are the most helpful, and they have a tough assignment--I'd rather jump judge any day.

Comment

I was ring steward - x-cntry day this weekend. Everyone was polite and several came back after their rides to thank me. it was really nice.

I ride - so I volunteer, and I always have a good time and learn something. Sometimes I get rude riders, but most of the time they are just focused on their ride - I'm the same so I get it.

This weekend, I had one mother ask me three times if I thought this was safe!?
                                        "No lady, I like to send little kids out to mangle themselves - Nothing like blood in a water jump to make me get up early on a Saturday!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                        X