• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Traveling to Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to Ireland

I am traveling to Ireland and was wondering if anyone has any good advice. B&B -- riding -- etc.

Thanks.

We were just there for our honeymoon during the Dublin Horse Show and we both LOVED IT!!! We didn't actually do any riding though (well, Steuart rode one horse that was a potential purchase, but that's it). We rented a car in Dublin and drove to the west coast - County Galway. Spent several days driving around the Connemara region. It was beautiful and, though we saw more sheep than ponies, the ponies we did see were lovely. Our last day in Ireland was at the Irish National Stud - nice. We didn't book any rooms or anything, just stayed at B&B's along the way. Be prepared for sticker shock though. Hopefully the dollar will go up against the Euro before you go
    Erin
    Dodon Farm Training Center - on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. ANy good B&B you would recommend?

Comment

If you are looking for top notch cross country riding, this place can't be beat.

http://flowerhill.net/welcomepage.htm
        http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

there's a thread over on H/J where the person raved about riding w/ Willie Leahy - I would second that as well - as you will see from my post on that particular thread. I've booked my trips through www.horseridingvacations.com. the person there travels to Ireland frequently and knows the vacations very well and also gives hints on other places/things to do which I haven't found so much with some of the other outfits.

I just saw somewhere that Aer Lingus is offering $199 winter fares (probably one way but still an amazing price !)

Comment

I'd recommend Willie Leahy - he's great - I've booked some trips for him through www.horseridingvacations.com - very knowledgable about the vacations there. of course alot of it depends on what you want to do and see as well.

Comment

What part? We went to county Adare and it was amazing. We did the cross country international thing, which was awesome. Dont recall the hotel we stayed at though.

Eat all the soda bread you can, because you really do miss it forever when you get home.

Comment

Can not go wrong at Clonshire

I love Clonshire in Adare:

http://www.clonshire.com/

You can stay in Adare at:

Adare Manor Hotel - Tel 061 396566 Fax 061 396124
                Dunraven Arms Hotel - Tel 061 396633 Fax 061 396541

We always stayed at Dunraven, five star fun. If you go in the winter you can go foxhunting. The weather is better in the spring but the hunting is something one dreams of

If you have time, drive down to Dingle (a little over two hours from Adare) and ride on the beach with these folks:

http://www.burkesactivitycentre.ie/itinerary.htm

Burkes is a small outfit but the beach ride is awesome.

We can not wait to go back in 2010

Have fun!!
                Susan
                http://community.webshots.com/user/ss3777
                www.longformatclub.com

Comment

Clonshire! Yep thats were we rode too. VERY nice horses. Great xc course too.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks, geographically - i have heard the it is beautiful in the south west -- i am about to get out my atlas and see where these places are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post
                      Clonshire! Yep thats were we rode too. VERY nice horses. Great xc course too.

I have to say, I'm suprised to hear you say this. We were very disappointed with Clonshire last summer. The horses were basic school horses of pretty poor quality, and were extremely overworked and sour, with most of them going 4 hours a day or more. And their x-c course was nothing special. Although the Adare area in general was fabulous, and the Adare Manor was spectacular.

To the OP, if you are looking to pop over lots of little 2 foot jumps, then maybe Clonshire would be a fun place for you.

But if you are looking for real x-c riding I would recommend Flower Hill instead. The x-c jumps (and there were hundreds of them!) range from 2 foot to two star level, and their horses are real x-c horses and foxhunters that are not overworked and really seemed to love their jobs.
                      http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

I spent a year working in Ireland at Crossogue Stud in Co. Tipperary and have lovely things to say about it.

Crossogue has a string of steeplechasers, so you can see the racehorses work in the mornings, a working jam factory on site, so you can eat all the jam you could ever want, and lovely, well cared for fences that challenge an intermediate rider fabulously.

We went there initially as inside-of-the-arena-only hunter riders, and had a great time getting out, up, down, and over natural obstacles. The hunter horses were treasures and carried our hineys over fences when we screwed up and rewarded us with great efforts when we were spot-on. As a plus, the retired steeplechasers are often put into the XC program when they retire, so they can have attitude and interest. The instruction is BHS certified and very good. I can say from experience that the staff (who gets up in the AM to exercise race ponies) works a LONG, hard day to make your experience excellent.

I have also been to Clonshire and Hillcrest, and of the two would recommend Clonshire if you are up for a great canter through a set course of 2'-2'9" fences. Perfect for us to start on, but not enough to challenge in the long run.

Folder of photos of Clonshire:
                        http://good-times.webshots.com/album/548356111eqULCq

Comment

On October 21st, my husband and I are leaving for a week in Ireland. We are staying in B&B's, as per an Aer Lingus vacation. Thanks to all of you, who have given me some ideas of where to book.

What equipment was provided and what did you bring with you? Did you bring your tall boots or boots and half chaps? Helmets? Saddles? Safety Vest?

Can you describe the weather in October? My Irideon riding tights would pack lighter, but I do have heavier weight breeches, too.

costco_muffins,

I thought your photos of Clonshire were lovely. I didn't think that the horses looked sour or poor quality. When were you there? Could the quality have gone down, since you rode there?

If anyone has any other suggestions that might help me know what to pack, then please bring them on!
                          When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

I went to Ireland 2 years ago in early October. We lucked out with the weather--low 60s and sunny every day. My husband, a native, told me that it was unusually good weather! I would bring a variety of clothing--T-shirts, some long sleeve shirts, layers, light weight rain jacket for riding, etc. I rode at Crossogue and learned a ton. I was the only one there when we went, so it was 2 days of private XC lessons. I brought my paddock boots and half chaps, helmet, and XC vests. Vests are mandatory for XC, so bring your own so you know it fits. If I were riding for longer, I would have brought my saddle. But for 2 days of riding it wasn't worth it.
                            I would pack anything you might also be picky about--spurs, for example. I didn't bother packing a crop, just used one at the facility. Also, in retrospect I should have brought saddle-tite. The saddle I rode in felt big and slippery.
                            Have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by lstevenson View Post
                              I have to say, I'm suprised to hear you say this. We were very disappointed with Clonshire last summer. The horses were basic school horses of pretty poor quality, and were extremely overworked and sour, with most of them going 4 hours a day or more. And their x-c course was nothing special. Although the Adare area in general was fabulous, and the Adare Manor was spectacular.

To the OP, if you are looking to pop over lots of little 2 foot jumps, then maybe Clonshire would be a fun place for you.

But if you are looking for real x-c riding I would recommend Flower Hill instead. The x-c jumps (and there were hundreds of them!) range from 2 foot to two star level, and their horses are real x-c horses and foxhunters that are not overworked and really seemed to love their jobs.
                              Well, I was there about 10 years ago, so maybe its changed.

Comment

My husband spent two weeks in October on our honeymoon and the weather was quite lovely. A couple of days of light rain, but for the most part it was temperate and sunny.

I highly reccomend the Connemara reigon; amazing scenery and you can rent a horse and gallop on the Atlantic shore line .

We rented a car and drove almost 1000 miles, staying in castles along the way. It was a blast and we can't wait to go back (three more years...).

Comment

Originally posted by lstevenson View Post
                                  If you are looking for top notch cross country riding, this place can't be beat.

http://flowerhill.net/welcomepage.htm
                                  How funny- we bought my ISH from them! I didn't actually get to go, but my parents absolutely loved it and came back with a couple of nice horses
                                  The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb

Comment

My only advice is to take me with you!

Comment

Getting to Ireland is a bargain right now. I just booked Aer Lingus planefare for 2 of us from Dulles to Dublin non-stop for $517 a person for November over Thanksgiving. They've got even cheaper flights if you travel on Tuesdays ($475 or so).

Now I just have to figure where to stay for 8 days...I hate B&Bs. Cars were cheap too! $220 US including everything but gas (which is it's own drama).
                                      "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Clonshire

I just wanted to jump in with a more positive view of Clonshire. I went this spring (2008) and had a wonderful time. Having ridden at my fair share of riding schools here in the US I can say that the horses were significantly nicer, sounder, more willing and more talented than what you would have available to you in the US at a lesson program in a riding school. The horses do work more than we are used to in your better english riding schools in the states, but in every picture I have from the trip, the horse I'm riding has his/her ears pricked and looks pretty happy, especially as we're going over logs, etc. Was they as forward/hot as my instructor's thoroughbred cross? Perhaps not, but that could be breeding as much as anything as many of them are ISH.

When I was looking for a trip to Ireland, I searched this board and read of someone's bad experience at Clonshire (not sure if it was lstevenson or not) but I read more from people who had a lovely time, and I'm glad I listened to them. There were a lot of 2' to 2'6" jumps but there were some that were larger and overall it was just a really fun experience. Perhaps some of the other places are better for training purposes, but I can vouch for Clonshire as being a lovely time and the horses as being quite nice, especially for a school program.

Comment

Working...
                                        X