• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Saddle Network vs. Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saddle Network vs. Insurance

Eventing Nation had a post about the Saddle Network yesterday and I wanted to see all your thoughts on it. http://eventingnation.com/home/intro...e-network.html I think it's a good idea in theory, but not so sure it's worth it. It costs $6.95/month for a single saddle to be included in the network. Not soooo bad, but it's money. And if the saddle is stolen, they're relying on the fact that either the crook is not too smart and tries to re-sell the saddle with the tag on, or the person who buys the saddle recognizes the holes where the tag was taken off and reports it to the saddle network. So I'd say the chances that you get a stolen saddle back even if you do have the service are at best 50/50 once the network becomes more well known and people recognize it, but probably less than that. I have my tack included as line items on my renters insurance policy, and it does not add much at all to my yearly premium. So if my saddle gets stolen, I can file a police report, make a claim, and get a payout from my insurance company (assuming they don't find some loophole, which always is a possibility). So to me, it doesn't really seem worth it to get my saddles protected by the Saddle Network. Anyone have thoughts on this or experience trying to get an insurance company to payout for stolen tack?

I'd stick w/ renters insurance & just make sure you have replacement coverage on your policy - and good for you for having renters insurance.. there are a lot of folks who rent & don't have insurance...

Comment

If it was actual replacement insurance I'd be more interested. I write my name in big letters down the gullet with a Sharpie marker. And it's covered in my homeowner's insurance.

AND I keep my tackroom door locked and the window is fogged out with spraypaint so you cannot see inside. Someone could break it, but in terms of crimes of opportunity, it's less of a mark. Plus, my tackroom is a blight - so finding the valuable saddle would take some work!

Comment

Also, I would worry that if I decided to sell the saddle having two big holes in the flap would decrease its value. A potential buyer may not be interested in continuing with the service.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmel View Post
          Also, I would worry that if I decided to sell the saddle having two big holes in the flap would decrease its value. A potential buyer may not be interested in continuing with the service.
          On that note, what if you buy a saddle from someone that used the Saddle Network, but you decide not to continue. Now you have two big holes in your saddle that also theoretically scream 'This saddle is stolen!,' even though it's not. Then you decide to sell it on, but no one will buy from you because they think it's a stolen saddle...

Instead of this, maybe everyone should just lock their saddles in their trailers and vehicles at shows at night. And also, please take off the Devoucoux and Antares saddle covers...they're practically screaming 'Steal me!!!' Get a nice custom saddle cover in your colors instead, they are pretty cheap from Dover...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by kcmel View Post
            Originally posted by Divine Comedy View Post
            On that note, what if you buy a saddle from someone that used the Saddle Network, but you decide not to continue. Now you have two big holes in your saddle that also theoretically scream 'This saddle is stolen!,' even though it's not. Then you decide to sell it on, but no one will buy from you because they think it's a stolen saddle...

I didn't think of these, but another reason not to do it!

Comment

yeah I don't think the idea is too bad but the product isn't completely ready to be marketed in my opinion; too many issues.

I second having the owner's name stamped or printed in a not so visible area of the saddle (under the little "skirt" that's covering the stirrup bar for instance)... experienced saddle thieves will be able to make the mark disappear or make them unreadable if they see it.

I don't think the saddle covers make a huge difference as in most cases saddle thieves just empty a whole tack room as fast as they can, stealing saddles by the dozens and taking them all whether they are pretty valuable or not... exceptions do happen but it's been my experience working in the saddle business for all these years...

The safest is of course to take your saddle back home with you all the time, easier said than done, I know...

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

Hello Fellow Riders,
                I am Mary Braly, the CEO and founder of Saddle Network.
                I hear what you are saying, but to understand the system you need to stop thinking “ How do I replace my saddle?” and start thinking “How do I keep my saddle from ever being taken?”
                The basis of Saddle Network is Community Watch. The system enables equestrians to communicate quickly and effectively through what we use every day, Facebook, Twitter, texts and emails. The reason a thief will pass on a Saddle Network tagged saddle and move on to an easier target is because tags enable anyone at any time to get instant information on the item. No more guessing if a saddle is legit or who it belongs to. It allows members to easily send out social networking alerts if their saddle is stolen, lost or missing. An immediate call to action! Because the last thing a thief wants is for the world to know that the item they are trying to sell is HOT!
                If the tag is removed by a thief the holes left behind are a red flag. Status of an item can still be verified by parameter search on the Saddle Network site. By entering any info known about the saddle the system will bring up anything stolen, lost or missing that falls under those parameters. So either way tagged or holes left where a tag was increases the chance of getting caught.
                Tags stay with the saddle, just like a license plate on a car. There is no reason to remove it. The tag won’t depreciate a saddle, on the contrary it will increase its’ value. Think about it. It’s like having an ADT sticker on the window of your house. Whether your alarm is active or not most thieves won’t take the risk.
                Here’s the old train of thought- daily life at status quo. If bad luck strikes we hope our insurance company will payout without hassle or repercussion, we hope that the police department considers our loss a high priority, quickly catches the thief and returns our saddle undamaged. But the truth is the stolen saddle becomes just one more report of theft for an already understaffed police department, our insurance company tells us our saddle isn’t covered because ‘the moon was rising over Jupiter at the time of theft’, or if we’re lucky enough to actually be covered for equipment loss, there’s still a deductible to pay and we’re hoping this claim won’t jack our yearly premium, and then there’s all the wasted time – waiting to get your payout, waiting to order a new saddle, waiting for that new saddle to arrive, and of course waiting for that new saddle to break in.
                Isn’t it better to prevent then to have to play catch up?

Comment

Mary, thanks for checking in.

The difference here, I think, is that perhaps 99%+ people out there know what an ADT sticker or placard on the house means. I think you would be stretching to say that 1% of horse people know what your Saddle Network tag on a saddle means.

Interesting idea, and could be useful if widely adopted. If not widely adopted, it's just a couple holes on the saddle flap.

Tell me again why I should pay $7/month to be included in this service, when my insurance company covers theft of tack?

Comment

Hi Simkie,

Your insurance company may cover tack theft, but that's still after the fact. Through the combination of visible tagging and social networking, Saddle Network helps keep your tack in your possession so you won't have to file a claim.

Prevention vs. reaction.

Sure ADT is easily recognized now, but at one time they too had to introduce themselves to the market and it was up to the consumer to say, "Yes I'm tired of being a victim! I want to be proactive and do things that will help keep my possessions safe."

Saddle Network has just launched, and as awareness grows of it, it will become as recognizable as an ADT placard, etc. The key is exposure, the strength is in how many people know about it and spread the news and just like ADT and other home protection services when they began, it started with one person, one house, one saddle at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X