• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Taking The Plunge...buying a trailer. Which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking The Plunge...buying a trailer. Which one?

As the title says, I'm ready to buy a trailer.

Want: 2 horse with living quarters.

What are the best options? I'm looking for something that will stand up to the abuse a trailer can go through, is easy to hook up (gooseneck), and is comfortable for both horse and rider.

I'd like something not too pricey, but certainly understand that you get what you pay for. I've met a lot of trailer owners that have said "I wish I knew 'insert negative comment here' before I bought this trailer." I want to avoid this if possible, and figured this would be the best place to get ideas!
    www.trying2event.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/UltimateStormLARigsby

How big is your truck? Not my personal experience, but I've known people who have a 1/2 ton truck, buy the 2h w/LQ, only to realize that it's really too heavy for their truck. It may be within the weight rating, but it puts a lot of strain on their truck and it's hard going up steep hills. Of course part of that depends on where you live and what sort of terrain you will be driving. On the flip side I have seen people do just fine with a 1/2 ton, just depends on the individual truck and trailer.

Comment

The OP should do a search on this question. There have been a couple recent threads on trailers with LQs in Off Course.
      Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Over the summer I bought a Turnbow (2h 'reverse slant' with finished DR and AC/heat - but not living quarters.) I've seen some Turnbows with LQ and they were amazing. They can do totally custom and have an incredible amount of insight and experience.

I've been in love with my trainer's Turnbow for a long time, and so far I'm in love with my trailer, too. Turnbow was great to work with, answered all my questions, and they even fixed a fuse on our truck (for free) when we went to pick up the trailer!

The trailer's 'maiden voyage' was a 1200 mile round trip to pick up my new horse... in August. If I hadn't been sold before, I would be now - she loaded and traveled GREAT, stayed cool in the heat, and walked off the trailer happy as can be. The trailer hauled great, worked great, looked great. I almost managed to enjoy the trip, knowing that my girl was riding in the sturdiest trailer I've ever worked with (and I am a world champion worrier.)

I purchased a demo trailer that had some extras I wouldn't have otherwise paid for. I would have considered the hydraulic landing gear an extra but boy oh boy, it has quickly become a necessity. Super easy to hook up and I know I can do it by myself, at 4 am, in the dark, with coffee in one hand. Everyone that has seen it wishes they had it, so I guess that's the best option I can think of!

The option I was actually most set on was the front and side ramps. I've experienced quite a few trailers over the years and I think the horses load happier on this configuration, and you get the benefits of them riding slant-load without the safety issue of not being able to get to the front horse quickly. Pulling into a hectic show grounds and unloading by simply walking straight, forward, down the side ramp is the BEST!

(I also did plenty of searches on here while shopping for a trailer, and there is a ton of info, but I haven't posted much about my trailer so I thought I'd reply here too.)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. I'll ck Off-Course.

Im hauling with a Chevy 4wd 2500HD, Gas engine.
          www.trying2event.blogspot.com
          www.facebook.com/UltimateStormLARigsby

Comment

Originally posted by Neigh-Neigh View Post
            Thanks for the advise. I'll ck Off-Course.

Im hauling with a Chevy 4wd 2500HD, Gas engine.
            IMHO, not enough truck for a trailer with LQ.

Comment

Rofl, this is like asking, "I've decided to take up a religion. I want one that doesn't take up too much time but still saves my soul. Which one should I choose?"

LOL, sorry to tease, but seriously, ask 7 people about horse trailers and you'll get 37 different answers.... Same goes for trucks.
              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                Rofl, this is like asking, "I've decided to take up a religion. I want one that doesn't take up too much time but still saves my soul. Which one should I choose?"

LOL, sorry to tease, but seriously, ask 7 people about horse trailers and you'll get 37 different answers.... Same goes for trucks.
                Add saddles to the list and you've hit a home run.

For what it's worth, we love our Equispirit. ., .
                www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

Aw, dang, I forgot about saddles. And joint supplements!
                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Until he retires, I will not buy a trailer from anyone from Dave McAdoo at Tobruk trailers. Pity they're so darn nice and last forever, because I probably won't have to buy one again for 10 years or more.
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

I just bought my trailer this year and went through a lot of hmmm-ing and haaaawing about it. Essentially just made a list of what I want, what can I afford, what can my truck pull. I wasn't willing to upgrade my truck, so it had to be easily hauled by it first.

That may help you get some direction on what you can manage.
                      All that is gold does not glitter;
                      Not all those who wander are lost.
                      ~J.R.R. Tolkien
                      http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, after my hitch dropped off my truck yesterday at 65 mph, complete with chains breaking & setting my trailer completely loose on the highway and then seeing how amazingly balanced my Jamco bumper pull stayed as it coasted to a stop without nary a bobble or a wobble, I would say I'm a HUGE Jamco fan.

Jamco's do not belong the inexpensive category, however.

Comment

Holy crap! That's terrifying--everyone OK?
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

That's crazy!! how did the hitch drop off???
                            Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
                            Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
                            Take us to print!

Comment

Yes, posted about in Off Course. Miracle # 1 was trailer coasting to a stop on grass shoulder. Miracle # 2 was the dozen + people who stopped to help me. Miracle # 3 that I did not mention in my plug for Jamco above, is that the trailer appears to be completely unscathed! ( both truck & trailer are currently being thoroughly reviewed at this moment by a professional to be sure)

Trailer where it came to a stop on highway:

http://imageshack.us/a/img37/2043/trailerbyhighway.jpg

Some of the amazing people who helped me get it off highway and get underway again.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/922/villageao.jpg

Comment

Ok, WOW. Just about my worst nightmare. So glad it turned out OK!!!!
                                Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
                                Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
                                Take us to print!

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
                                  I would say I'm a HUGE Jamco fan.

Jamco's do not belong the inexpensive category, however.
                                  Jamcos are awesome! Have you told them your story? They'd probably love to hear about it - may even use it in an ad!

Comment

The 2500 truck is big enough to pull...but maybe not enough motor.
                                    It's amazing how much better a diesel truck pulls.

Also, you may find that if you want a trailer for 2 horses, you may want to add a 3rd slot (with stallion wall) for storage.
                                    Those back tack rooms don't carry more than tack. You'll need somewhere to put all your other stuffs.

I bought a two horse LQ...
                                    well, not really.
                                    It's a 4 horse with escape door and stallion wall.
                                    =
                                    it's a 3 horse with storage space.
                                    except it's a average sized trailer therefore I took 1 divider out for the big horses.
                                    =
                                    it's a 2 horse with storage.

to end my post I will add that "used" ain't half bad.

If I could have anything I wanted I might get a 2+1 with LQ and mid tack.
                                    Or anything that offers reverse load.
                                    http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I've seen some bigger horses get sticky about loading on a slant with the rear tack. In a couple of cases, they loaded happily after we unloaded the rear tack and swung the divider all the way open, to make the 'entrance' as wide as possible. Knowing that, and knowing that a rear tack usually doesn't hold that much anyway, I knew I didn't want one. If I were doing a slant with living quarters I would probably stick with a mid tack and just deal with the extra length.

Comment

Originally posted by IFG View Post
                                        IMHO, not enough truck for a trailer with LQ.
                                        Right, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Check out the thread on the Jamco trailer accident in New Hampshire and she had a good truck, very good trailer, and a whole lot of protection from above.

Oh, did not see, she checked in before I posted. Worth noting the whole thread.
                                        "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Working...
                                        X