• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Now with PHOTO evidence...jumping position question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now with PHOTO evidence...jumping position question

OK, so I've read the GM critiques in PH, and I honestly feel like I can evaluate position in the flight phase of a jump.

But, what about the take off? When the horse's back feet are still on the ground, and their front feet are lifting and folding? In photos of myself, it looks like I am standing up in the stirrups at this point, my knee is pretty open, and my shoulders are somewhat forward. In the flight phase, my position is by no means perfect, but it is adequate, I think. I've been browsing other photos of people jumping, but so many are in the flight phase that it is somewhat difficult to find photos taken during this part of the jump.

My trainer says if I was doing anything horrendous she would let me know (duh!), but I'd like to educate myself a bit more. Does anyone have photos of this part of the jump, showing 'classic' correct position? I'm not talking about a very defensive seat, like over a drop fence or one your horse is hesitant at, but the classic, GM-approved, best position.

I have to go to work now, but I'll try to dig up a photo or two of myself so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by jumpsnake; Oct. 13, 2012, 12:13 PM.

If you are on Facebook - LIKE Tamarack Hill Farm page (Denny Emerson).
    He is always posting pictures of his students/working students. Last week he posted the picture you want.
    It is one of his best students on a gray, the horse's hind feet are planted just as the horse is raising up to reach out over the fence. The rider is in (IMO) the perfect spot to allow the horse freedom of movement without jumping ahead. . . the worst of my many faults.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

What about the old "take the horse out of the picture" analysis: do you fall down, or stay upright? Kind of old school, but pretty functional.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys. I looked on the Tamarack FB and found those photos, I think. However, the moment I'm interested in is a split second before that photo-- when the back feet are still pushing off. That rider certainly does look lovely, though, so still great to use as an example.

Saskatoonian, if the horse fell away I do think I would land on my feet. My legs are still perpendicular to the ground.

OK, I found a photo that I think illustrates this-- this French rider at WEG is doing what I do. In photos I have seen of myself, my legs are not as straight, but the idea is the same.
        So, is this good? Bad? I know it is a moment in time but I'd love to hear feedback.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/

I'm not sure that link is working that well-- if it doesn't take you to the photo go to the album 'Example photos' .

Comment

I believe GM would say this rider is jumping ahead. The crotch is not supposed to be ahead of the pommel.

Comment

I don't know what GM woudl say (though I probably agree with Shortstroke) but I would say the rider is ahead of the motion. Take the horse out of the picture and the rider would fall on their face. Not a lot ahead and it's a MUCH bigger fence than I've ever jumped so maybe I'm not the one to say, but I'd say slightly ahead.
            "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

• Original Poster

tle, that's what I think-- ahead, but then again I'm not sure how much a big fence like this changes things. I did some more searching through my photos, and found one more from WEG, and also two of myself that might help.

Feel free to rip me a new one if you like; these are from the fall of 2011 but I probably have at least most of the same bad habits to one degree or another! The two photos I think show what my question is-- in the first take off phase I think I am way ahead. However, in the second photo, just a tiny bit later but more over the fence, I think I am not too far ahead, if at all.

Here is an updated link to all 4 photos:http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

Comment

No expert..

But what I always think is the horse should jump up to you.
                You look a bit ahead, but then, I have also neve
                Last edited by Sannois; Oct. 14, 2012, 06:34 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I can only see the original photo, but there's pretty much nothing in any riding discipline I can come up with where having your entire body, including legs, parallel to your horse's body is a good thing. Your legs aren't supposed to slip back while jumping but are supposed to stay in place, and while some GP riders get crazy positions which work for them when I'd fall off, I'd hate to see that one out x-country from that single photo.
                  Originally posted by Silverbridge
                  If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I know what you're talking about and I'm sure we all have the awkward jumping picture of ourselves either taking off or landing. I try to think of keeping my legs under me and bring my upper body upright in the last couple of strides, and then just letting the horse come up to me. You shouldn't have to "do" anything if that makes sense. It should kind of just happen. In the picture you posted, the guy is too far ahead. His crotch should not be over the pommel, his leg should not be straight, nor should it be that far back. (Of course, as others have said, its not like I've ever jumped that high so he is excused ) I think keeping a slight bend in your knee and focusing on keeping your heel down with your calf on the girth should help. If you just keep thinking of keeping your leg in place you shouldn't really be able to jump ahead on takeoff. Hope that made some kind of sense!

Comment

I second the suggestion of looking at Denny's photos. You can learn a ton from them.

In the photos you posted, you seem ahead of the motion in the take off photo, but pretty balanced over the fence. In the pro photos, the jumper looks way ahead to me, but having never jumped a fence of that height, I'm not exactly an expert!
                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Granted this is a low jump but most of the time this is my position with back legs on the ground. There are a few pics where I will be ahead but usually is a fluke here and there

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...size=522%2C349

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...size=636%2C960

Then sometimes I do this
                        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...size=604%2C403
                        Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Here's a good one of karen on cross country. 3rd pic over. Horses legs are on the ground in back and here position in pretty nice.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/eq...n-oconnor.html

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmmmmm....

OK. Everyone seems to be agreeing with my opinion here, so thanks for that. Looking back, I'm seeing something else, though. When I see a photo of the moment when the horse's back legs are still bent, the rider is more likely to be in that weird standing-up-looks-too-far-ahead pose. However, when the horse's back legs are straight or just leaving the ground, the rider usually seems to be in what looks like a better spot. Does anyone else notice this, or am I seeing things?

@ rabicon: You look good! In that last photo, the horse's back legs are behind the jump, and you are doing a less drastic version of what I'm worried about doing. Do you think your horse's back legs are still bent there?

@JCF: I used to be very good at keeping my shoulders back upon approach, I think I might have gotten a bit out of that good habit, so something to work on! I have to be careful about thinking to bend my knees though, or my heel will try to kick my own butt! lol!

Comment

I think you are over thinking it

I wouldn't be so focused on pictures.....it is a feel thing. When you are in the right spot, and your horse jumps up to you....it will feel really right...and really easy. YOU do not do anything jumping. Just stay centered and let your horse close your angles. I don't mean do not ride, you need to keep them straight and probably add leg...but you do not do anything to "help" the horse jump...that is their job.

If you start thinking too much...you usually end up doing too much and will either jump ahead or get left behind....even if just a split second.

So step away from the camera....and focus more on the feel when you are riding...and stop thinking so much!!!!
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Yes, I believe they are still bent there a little in that photo. Thanks also. I usually had a nice position but now I have a roaches back issue flaring up. Ughhh it's always something lol

Comment

I know what you mean. That point when the horses butt is still all scrunched and wierd looking. I just looked at recent HT photos and was thinking the same thing. I think I will just click on some others photos and look and compare. I feel like most of the time I am with my horse, but it does look wierd to me at that point too. I'm not going to obsess, but I understand what you are looking at during the different phases of takeoff.

Comment

Remember that that point of take off that you are discussing is only a split second. Your horse is moving way faster through the air than you can. If you are not what might be considered slightly in front of the movement for that split second - especially over decent sized fences - there is no way you will be in the middle as the horse is in the middle of his arc.

According to some studies done many years ago, if you were able to keep your body absolutely still in relation to your horse, it would not matter how you sat. I doubt that anyone is able to keep absolutely still though because we have these pesky things called joints and muscles that are designed to move, not be rigid. Our jumping positions are always an attempt to be as still as possible, but to be in the middle over the middle of the fence.

Comment

Working...
                                    X