• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sold a saddle on ebay: now she wants to return it because it has "defects"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Original Poster

    #61
    I am going to ask for pictures of the so called defects with measurements verifying it. Also, If it is true, I have no problem taking it back and telling county because it is under warranty. I just don't believe she is being truthful because she didn't have a county rep look at it and she didn't say one block is 2.68 inches and the other is 2.89 inches. She is just saying one is bigger than the other. And the whole saddle cord thing..If she wanted to prove it she would have sent a pic to me. She has my email...

    Comment


    • #62
      Oh.... And do you still have pictures of the saddle? At least, you could still have some proof that the saddle was in correct condition when you had it in your hands.
      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

      Originally posted by LauraKY
      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
      HORSING mobile training app

      Comment


      • #63
        Thats why I always take pictures before I ship something out. Maybe your County rep can put something in writing for you just in case. Maybe her legs are different lengths, I cant believe one flap is more forward than the other.

        Comment


        • #64
          Long time ebay power seller here:

          It does not matter at all if you are right. You WILL be forced to accept a return and you WILL have to refund your buyer the full amount she paid, including original shipping. No returns is meaningless on ebay- if you take paypal- you take returns for ANY reason within 45 days of sale. Ebay phone reps are notorious for giving out bad info. Sorry, I know it sucks, but that is how ebay works now- has for several years.

          Also, for the earlier poster who suggested to close the accounts, it takes 180 days to close your ebay account- made that way so that no one can do just that.
          ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
          ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
          ~Vet Tech Student
          Mom to : 2 Horses, 4 Dogs, 2 Cats

          Comment


          • #65
            What folks are posting here is why i always sell saddles with trial period.. Because i would rather have control than ebay. Good luck op

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by shayaalliard View Post
              Long time ebay power seller here:

              It does not matter at all if you are right. You WILL be forced to accept a return and you WILL have to refund your buyer the full amount she paid, including original shipping. No returns is meaningless on ebay- if you take paypal- you take returns for ANY reason within 45 days of sale. Ebay phone reps are notorious for giving out bad info. Sorry, I know it sucks, but that is how ebay works now- has for several years.

              Also, for the earlier poster who suggested to close the accounts, it takes 180 days to close your ebay account- made that way so that no one can do just that.
              That alone makes me not want to do business on ebay anymore. What's the point of making it so difficult for the seller? A lot of things can happen in 45 days, particularly for a saddle. What is to prevent the buyer from riding in it for 45 days and then returning it if they happen to have a mishap that damages the saddle in some way before that 45 days is over?

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
                That alone makes me not want to do business on ebay anymore. What's the point of making it so difficult for the seller? A lot of things can happen in 45 days, particularly for a saddle. What is to prevent the buyer from riding in it for 45 days and then returning it if they happen to have a mishap that damages the saddle in some way before that 45 days is over?
                Financially eBay profits more from buyers than sellers. Hence the pro-buyer policies.
                ~Veronica
                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                Comment


                • #68
                  At least she hasn't claimed it's counterfeit
                  Pam's Pony Place

                  Pam's Pony Ponderings

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                    Financially eBay profits more from buyers than sellers. Hence the pro-buyer policies.
                    Though if sellers stopped selling on eBay or the amount of items available dropped significantly, then eBay would lose buyers too.

                    While I don't see that happening anytime soon, it's something a good business should keep in mind. You can't have buyers if the sellers aren't selling anything.
                    The Sempiternal Horse

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Sempiternal View Post
                      Though if sellers stopped selling on eBay or the amount of items available dropped significantly, then eBay would lose buyers too.

                      While I don't see that happening anytime soon, it's something a good business should keep in mind. You can't have buyers if the sellers aren't selling anything.
                      eBay has a lot of sellers in the screws and they know it. If you're a small mom and pop business or hobby seller, you don't have the time or capital to set up an easily used website to sell stuff. Let alone market the site. eBay knows it. They are the only game in town for most of their sellers. Not for buyers. As a buyer I can flit over to Smartpak or Dover or any other website. So they have to do something to keep me. The attraction is low prices, selection, and pro-buyer policies. Sucks but as a seller, they have you and they know it.
                      ~Veronica
                      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                        Financially eBay profits more from buyers than sellers. Hence the pro-buyer policies.
                        Not true. eBay gets no profits from buyers. Sellers pay all the fees/commissions. Their argument to me is that as sellers, we have to compete against the big box retailers, so the policies have to be much like those sellers. Doesn't matter if what you sell is nothing that a big box retailers would be able to provide.

                        Also a long-time eBay power seller here.

                        I also usually just take a return and be done with it. Only fought a couple of times and (knock on wood) have only lost once. Won four times. Had a couple of items over the summer that I was pretty sure that the buyer had damaged, but pretty impossible to prove whether it was shipper or buyer.
                        I have taken to going the the shipping service and making a damage claim through them, which is a whole other kettle of fish. Have learned to never take their "we are not at fault" the first time and point out all the errors on their written denial. Have always gotten paid on the claim after that.

                        Regarding the PayPal issue, doesn't matter if you have already transferred funds out, they will just leave your balance negative and that will seriously hamper you as a seller if you use the account for shipping and such. And they'll come after you to get the balance zero again.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I am still wondering why, if a saddle cord is on the back of the cantle, why weren't we taught that in riding school? We learned all the parts of the saddle. I thought. I did look on ebay for saddle cords and found rolls of leather cord. But no instructions as to where it goes.

                          I've never sold on ebay. But I've bought tack there, and have not had a bad experience about tack. No fee is charged to me, as ebay gets the fees from the sellers. And I've bought saddles there.

                          I did not get one item (shoes, not horse related), period, and paypal gave me my money back. Another seller took an item off of ebay, and I did not realize it when I got the paypal charge, so I just ate the price of paddock boots. I did complain to ebay and paypal since the item was listed on there, and since I did ask the woman if she'd take a lower amy when relished, but I did not get any money back. I now carefully check to make sure that when I ask that the seller take a lower price, that the item is on ebay again, relished, and not just billed to me through paypal.

                          It's not fair to sellers or to buyers when scammers are on ebay. I do feel sorry for sellers who are so worried that, like yesterday when I got an ebay item, the seller sent a note saying just return it if I did not like it and he'd refund my money. I liked the time and gave him 5 stars.

                          But I don't want seller to feel that they must be afraid of us buyers. Ebay makes shopping so much easier and there are many great horse, and non-horse, items on ebay.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by rothmpp View Post
                            Not true. eBay gets no profits from buyers. Sellers pay all the fees/commissions. Their argument to me is that as sellers, we have to compete against the big box retailers, so the policies have to be much like those sellers. Doesn't matter if what you sell is nothing that a big box retailers would be able to provide.

                            Also a long-time eBay power seller here.

                            I also usually just take a return and be done with it. Only fought a couple of times and (knock on wood) have only lost once. Won four times. Had a couple of items over the summer that I was pretty sure that the buyer had damaged, but pretty impossible to prove whether it was shipper or buyer.
                            I have taken to going the the shipping service and making a damage claim through them, which is a whole other kettle of fish. Have learned to never take their "we are not at fault" the first time and point out all the errors on their written denial. Have always gotten paid on the claim after that.

                            Regarding the PayPal issue, doesn't matter if you have already transferred funds out, they will just leave your balance negative and that will seriously hamper you as a seller if you use the account for shipping and such. And they'll come after you to get the balance zero again.

                            eBay profits from transactions and those are drive by buyers. No buyers, no marketplace. They own PayPal and take a little bite out of every payment a buyer makes... and that's where they really profit (more so than their listing fees). But at any rate, right or wrong they have decided they need to coddle buyers to keep things going... and so they do.
                            ~Veronica
                            "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                            http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
                              I am still wondering why, if a saddle cord is on the back of the cantle, why weren't we taught that in riding school? We learned all the parts of the saddle. I thought. I did look on ebay for saddle cords and found rolls of leather cord. But no instructions as to where it goes.
                              Buyer has clarified she means the piping on the front of the padded flap.
                              ~Veronica
                              "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                              http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                                Financially eBay profits more from buyers than sellers. Hence the pro-buyer policies.

                                yes, that makes sense. However, what is to prevent the buyer from using the saddle every day for the first 45 days, damaging it accidently and then claiming it is defective and using paypal/ebay's policy to force to seller for a full refund?

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
                                  yes, that makes sense. However, what is to prevent the buyer from using the saddle every day for the first 45 days, damaging it accidently and then claiming it is defective and using paypal/ebay's policy to force to seller for a full refund?
                                  Very little. I didn't say I thought eBay's policies were perfect or fair. I'm just saying... they are what they are.
                                  ~Veronica
                                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    Be careful. You could ebd p having money refunded to her, and not getting your item back! Its happened to us.
                                    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                                    www.mmceventing.com

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      I kinda want to see this ended eBay item. There should be pics, and we could all see the two missing inches of trim (or saddle cord). Whadda'bout it, OP?
                                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

                                      "I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        @gold2012: that's terrible. Does ebay/paypal have any mechanism currently where the buyer is not refunded until the seller gets the item back?

                                        Comment

                                        • Original Poster

                                          #80
                                          Here is the ad. I have no problem sharing it.

                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/140852525069...84.m1562.l2649

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X