• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help me spend some some money!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me spend some some money!!!

I recently sold a horse, and after paying bills, will have a couple hundred dollars left, that I want to spend on the horse I still have.

The big thing that I need is some xcountry boots. I have been using either open fronts or borrowed boots. We are only competing at the BN level right now, but my mare has potential for at least training, and I'd like to get a nice pair of boots that will last a while.

I was originally in love with the Dalmars, but the possiblility of a cut tendon, however small, has scared me away from them. I saw the Premiers at Rolex and the quality didn't look that high to me. Right now I am torn between ecogolds and the NEW boots. I like the idea of the ecogolds shaping to fit, but I am concerned about heat trapping... What do you all think?

The other thing I need to invest in is some breeches. all of mine are second hand and well worn, and don't fit all that well. I had one pair rip practically in half along my crotch during my xc lesson this week and I have decided its time to upgrade. I don't want to spend more than 150-200 on breeches, and would like to get at least a schooling pair and show pair. I am very short and round at the moment, if that affects brand choice...

The one thing I don't really need, but kind of want... is a helmet cam! Who has them, and are they worth the money, if only for the enterainment factor? What brands are good, and how easy are they to work?

I am also going to get a baucher bit to try, a new dressage girth, and a few other things, but these are the biggest.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Ok! Spending other peoples money is fun!!!

Boots: I have and really like the premiers. I know you weren't impressed, but... They have held up well, easy to clean. My horse wears his for hacking, gallops and horse trials. I surprisingly really like them. Light and cool too.

Breeches: My new favs are the Fits Beka- VTO sells for 136 ish. They are Fits take on side zip h/j breeches. I love, love, love them! Very flattering, wide waist band, tummy control, mid rise, nice fabric, variety of colors. Also gusseted crotch, great for sitting trot torture lessons

I also recently bought a pair of Tuff rider full seats from dover, about $75, wide waist band, mid rise, relaxed fit through thighs. Very nice for the price.

No suggestions on helmet cams.
    Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

There are lots of good breeches for less then $150.

I have these and I love them: http://www.doversaddlery.com/eq-cout...FcV7Qgod3VEAAw

Also check the classifieds section on HGS for lots of nice used breeches for great prices.

I saw the N.E.W. boots in the tack store and was really happy with them. They are super lightweight and look like they will breathe really well. I haven't purchased them yet but would like to eventually.

Comment

Yay! Congrats on some extra spending money

For boots I honestly reccomend the NEWs. I got mine on eBay for pretty cheap and if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can get some good deals on boots/breeches. I also like the Kentuckys, but I have only used them about 10 times since getting them two weeks ago. I cannot comment about how they hold up, but I really like them.

I am not a fan of the Dalmars, but actually am a fan of the Premiers. I love the back boot 100x better then the Dalmars which are a pain in the butt. Have no idea how they hold up, but a woman at the barn uses them and loves them.

I have the Woof Ultras and I am not a fan. They slip even when taped like crazy. Also they held up badly for the year that I have lightly used them now only for flatting as they slip on the 4 diffrent horses they have been on when galloping. Not woth the money.

I like regular Woofs especially if you are only wanting to do training. I like the double locks and the 4/5 straps. I have a ton and they have held up well and I get them on ebay for cheap all the time. Never had an issue with them and honestly for the lower levels, I feel comfortable using them and putting them on my horse before XC. The Nunn Finer double lock ones also are nice. I think they also make some that are neoprene free which is nice.

Breeches... do you want Full seats? Knee patch? I like the Tuff Riders for schooling. Thier cotton ones, not the ribbed ones, with the wide waistband is nice and flattering. They are not super thin so they cover problem areas well.

Show I like the TS breeches and I get them on ebay for schooling as well ofr about $50 for the 4way. You can get the 2way in schooling quality for cheap as well. I just prefer the 4way stretch.
        I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

I can weigh in on the ecogolds.

Let me start with their fronts. I love mine. I've had them for 3 years and they are at the end of their life - the stitching is starting to come out, they are starting to show a bit of wear where my mare must rub a little with her other leg or something... but I wore them every ride for the better part of the 3 years (now I tape them up for events, hoping they can limp along until Christmas ). I would definitely buy them again, never noticed any heat in her legs, protective, fit her very well, easy to clean, and she was not at all sensitive to them (she is definitely allergic to neoprene).

The hinds.... on the other hand. I hate them. I've used them less than 10 times in the year and half I've owned them and the velcro closures are falling apart and have been since the 2nd or 3rd time I used them. I do not like how they fit (if you don't put them on tight enough they can slip down - I had a friend help tack my horse once for a schooling and I had to get off and fix them). I would not ever purchase the hinds ever again, thoroughly disappointed in them..

pic of hinds not very easy to see as they are taped down, but you can see the edge of the further boot frayed.

I should also mention the way I have the hinds on are not the way they instruct you to put them on - but I had them move too much (and I also wondered if they frayed edges were from how they were on her legs - I don't think it was). You are "supposed" to have the ecogold label in the front of the leg, but I would rather the entire inside of her leg be protected as she travels close behind.

Comment

EventingJ - I'm sorry you had trouble with your hind EG boots, but looking at your picture, I'm not sure they're the same ones as I have.

I love my EG boots - have had them for three years now, and they're still going strong. that said, my hind EG boots don't look like EventingJ's boots - hers look softer and more malleable than mine, which might be cause for the premature wear. Mine fit great and don't slip on a pretty average 16.1 hind leg, and I don't notice any great heat build-up, even in a NC summer.

I second (third?) the recommendation for the FITS Beka breeches. Oh-so-flattering on any body type (even mine!) and they're extremely well-made and durable. Love them, and would buy a pair in every color if I could afford it.
            "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

these are the boots I have from ecogold.

Comment

I don't boot my guy, so no help there.

Breeches? I love all things TuffRider. I adore the ribbed ones for schooling. I abuse mine and have for three years. With the exception of a small stain on one of them, they all still look new. I am not careful with them. I do not wash according to instruction, etc. yet they still look fine.

I have a number of other TuffRider styles and love them all. Best part? They're all under $100. Many under $50.

Comment

• Original Poster

Bump! Any more suggestions before I fill my shopping cart?

Comment

I have the Nunn Finer XC boots and I really like them. They have been holding up well and have stayed on through plenty of water. They offer good protection, are a reasonable price, and they have a nice lining that has met with the approval of my two very boot-picky horses! So many others seemed rather rough on the inside and I felt they would be more prone to rubbing and/or not acceptable to my horses that seem to prefer sheepskin next to their skin no matter what body part is involved!

As for breeches, I personally love Tropical Riders - I have numerous pairs of both schooling and showing breeches and they have all held up to fairly heavy use and are very comfortable. Depending on your fabric and patch/seat choices they would still be in your budget.

Comment

Working...
                    X