• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Build the Perfect Ammie Eventing Horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay Heinz. Now I want your guy too. Sigh. I just can't deny a good OTTB. They are some of the kindest, hardest working animals I've ever had the pleasure to be around. I just wish that myguy had a bit more substance to him! That may come from growing up around cow horses, but I like a horse to be solid!
    ~Over or Through~

A Blog of Percy's Journey!

Comment

BFNE - You are lucky to have an EASY KEEPING TB, with tons of substance and excellent huge/quality hooves/feet. Gorgeous liver/dark chestnut!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Most I've known are higher-maintainance and harder-keepers - but love the athleticism, willingness, and true people-loving-try-to-please-you personality of the TB (and they can't be beat for the gallop!)

I love the comments on some Connemara blood and even the old-style-Appy blood!! (for this fun, "made up mix" thread) The true old-Appies did have legs and feet of iron and were indestructable. Today's Appies on the breed circuit look and move just like QH's and Paints. Not that it's right or wrong, just different than the true old-style Appy.

Since this is a fun thread, I think we all know you can't ever generalize a "breed" - as there are so many individuals and varieties within each breed....yes, there are stereotypes, but there are always exceptions!

BTW - what breed or mix was Snowman? Did it say in the book?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
      www.elainehickman.com
      **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

Originally posted by Fancy That View Post

BTW - what breed or mix was Snowman? Did it say in the book?
        If I remember correctly he was believed to be part Percheron part TB. I could be wrong on the draft part, but I believe he had a bit of TB blood.
        ~Over or Through~

Comment

Heinz, I want your horse too. Are you sure he's not a Percheron or Cleveland Bay in disguise? His legs are awesome.

Do you know his breeding?
          "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
          Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

When I was a kid I rode a Conn/TB who was wonderful--she was my trainer's foxhunter but took me around novice. Definitely forward, but very cool. IIRC she had a baby by Epic Win that went on to be a $$ show hunter.

My first event horse was part App. He raced on the QH track and I think was registered appendix? He was awesome and I loved his personality but he wasn't extremely sound--ringbone, I think.

Comment

Full TB is my preference too, none of mine have been hot house flowers... just now begrudgingly put fronts on my one mare. She had a crack when I got her that was almost out but the weird weather and flies made it crack higher again... so I gave up. But she grows good hoof, not shelly or flakey at all and I have never seen her foot sore at all. But as a total Ammy I prefer a more forward horse, so all personal preference. But they are really all I look at and am interested in.

Second picks would be an App x TB (Wap bloodlines!), Conn x TB, or an Appendix QH. Of those the App would be my favorite for sure. I will never forget this awesome App mare I had the ride on in college, always wished I bought her. 15.3, so solid, would have made a great eventer.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                Fancy That...that is your experience....I've known enough full TBs that had tons of substance and good feet. This is my current mare....she has more than enough substance for me and great feet. Good mover, and powerful jump. She will go to the highest levels of what ever sport I want. And she is an easy keeper too boot. She is also an OTTB.

Here she is just starting over fences. May not be a total packer...but she is an ammy ride to me (since I'm an ammy and I ride her )
                She is STUNNING! And nice choice of music

Comment

My idea of a perfect mix? Hmm, let's start with a turf TB, toss in some foundation QH, and add a dash of Morgan. Should be a horse with athleticism and a heck of a lot of brains with a sense of humor. Can't beat a QH or a Morgan for pure brains and forgiving attitude.

Another way of looking at it would be an Appendix QH (with appropriate sized feet, harder to find) crossed with a Morgan. Probably just a 1/4 Morgan and 3/4 Appendix. With ammies, I'm looking for brains and forgiving attitude more than any other feature.

Hopefully the Morgan tail will show up, too. We had one in the barn that had enough tail for THREE horses.

Of course, the two horses I've owned have both been TBs (one honkin' huge turf horse and one delicate little sprinter), but I've been told I have particular tastes.
                  http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                    Heinz, I want your horse too. Are you sure he's not a Percheron or Cleveland Bay in disguise? His legs are awesome.

Do you know his breeding?
                    He's by Personal Flag, out of a Pleasant Colony daughter, Mythical Bird (whose damsire happens to be Northern Dancer). All the PC offspring I've seen to date have had the same signature bone and build (and brain, I hear). I'd love to have another, if I could find one. Nice movers, too.

I have to argue with strangers on a regular basis that he IS NOT a warmblood. Maybe it's his size, I don't know, but he still looks like a TB to me.

ETA: RedHandedJill, your guy has potential to be a beefcake! Throw in some topline and a little more rear end and he'll be a chunk!

Comment

We're working on it Heinz! That picture was taken about a month back into work after about 4 years off. He's gaining muscle really nicely I think
                      ~Over or Through~

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
                        Thoroughbred.
                        None smarter. None more athletic, trainable, loving a rider no matter what, forgiving, capable. I wouldn't mix anything. I would find a horse already bred for five centuries to perform.
                        My sentiments exactly, retread. I couldn't say it better.

For the record,there is nothing wrong with TB feet. Unfortunately the way they are trimmed and shod at the track (long toes/underslung heels) is horrible, but believe me - they don't start out that way.

The farm next door to me has TB race horses, they run barefoot, and their feet look great.
                        A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Fred, if I ever got my hands on a Pleasant Colony-bred mare, I would love to put her with your boy and see what kind of magic is produced.

Comment

I have a WB (a light version of the hannovarian) crossed with an Appy. He is awesome but hard to keep fit - he is a little heavy and I am used to TBs that seem so easy to get fit.

I love the TBs I have had though I have to say that some take on the emotions of the riders and some need a rider to be super quiet - so it depends on the rider.

I have a connemara cross that is GREAT cross country.

And I have another Appy that is coming along - he is a pony but he has great athletic ability and though he is forward moving - he takes leg and I am anticipating him being a super safe horse when he is trained up.

I just got a pregnant mare - sort of a weird situation and she gave birth to a colt that is the best looking foal I have ever gotten to see in person and I cant believe I own him. Mom is a big moving Arabian - not a deer like mover but a big - huge moving 14.1 hand heavy boned arabian. And the father is an appendix. This foal is over a month old and I have never seen a foal look so balanced and his shoulder is so great - his neck put on just right - his neck is SLIGHTLY short which I love for jumping but naturally high set and he likes to round through his whole topline and strike off into canter from the halt all the time. So - Arab-TB-QH I am thinking is possibly a nice prospect. HIs dad is 16 hands and I cant believe it but he's only about a foot shorter than mom already at little over a month. =0

Comment

Irish Draught Sport Horse Up to 1/2 ID for top levels. Multiple examples in the top placings and I have posted pure ID doing prelim. Most of my customers are amatuers looking for what you describe
                              Epona Farm
                              Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I am really excited about my two babies - exactly what I wanted - out of a trak/tb mare that had movement to die for by my swedish wb cross - - full siblings with size, 1/8 clyde, warmblood movement and tb speed.

Comment

I think I have the perfect cross... Half Selle Francais, Half TB. She got a nice big body and legs from both parents, good feet that just now got shoes for the first time 5, a bit of the easy going dumblood forgiving attitude from her selle francais daddy, but a forward disposition from her TB momma. She goes trail riding, packs kids around, and jumps whatever I point her at. Still working on the dressage stuff, but we've got time...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
                                  Last edited by chestnutwithchrome; Jul. 23, 2012, 12:17 AM. Reason: different video

Comment

I'm partial to the tb/draft crosses, as that is what my girl is, but I do agree that it can go either wonderful or terrible. My girl is 1/4 Belgian, 3/4 TB and she has been the perfect ammy horse for me. She's very light and quick on her feet from her TB roots, but has a much more solid build that personally gives me more comfort. Her feet are fantastic and she (knock on wood) has never had leg problems after 17 years of relatively steady work.

From my experience, personally, the full tb's tend to have a tad bit too much excitement and a few too many problems from the track to make perfect ammy mounts. Not saying that is true is every case, as I have met several wonderful tb's, but that is just my experience. My mare has struggled a bit from the aftermath of a freak accident when she was young, but overall she has been totally sound, incredibly sane, very level-headed, and super careful about taking care of "her kid." (is it obvious that I love my horse? )

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                                      He's by Personal Flag, out of a Pleasant Colony daughter, Mythical Bird (whose damsire happens to be Northern Dancer). All the PC offspring I've seen to date have had the same signature bone and build (and brain, I hear). I'd love to have another, if I could find one. Nice movers, too.

I have to argue with strangers on a regular basis that he IS NOT a warmblood. Maybe it's his size, I don't know, but he still looks like a TB to me.

ETA: RedHandedJill, your guy has potential to be a beefcake! Throw in some topline and a little more rear end and he'll be a chunk!
                                      My guy is a PC grandbaby, too. He's not for every ammy, that's for sure, but I adore him. He was barefoot in back until he started jumping around Training, and I took off the back shoes when I got him until recently because the collected work was a bit too much for them.

But yeah, the PC babies I've seen can move...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7...be8e4e6a66.jpg
                                      http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/7...a69f071612.jpg
                                      http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7045/7...9867f856ed.jpg

Pedigree:
                                      http://www.pedigreequery.com/tucson+magic
                                      Originally posted by Silverbridge
                                      If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Originally posted by chestnutwithchrome View Post
                                        I think I have the perfect cross... Half Selle Francais, Half TB.
                                        This is my half SF filly. Bit young to tell what sort of eventer she will be but her dam is half sister to Rock on Rose so I'm hopeful

But I didn't bred her for an ammy ride......still...she is totally my type of horse too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbag1...eature=g-all-u
                                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I really do love my connemara/tb but as a young horse I would not at all call him an ammy ride. He is hotter than all my ottb's He has melllowed with age which is a great thing but that pony brain can work against you at times.

It would be a full ottb for me as well. I have been involved with Tb's my whole life and in general I find them to be tougher and sounder than other breeds. I don't buy into the bad feet thing either. Even those who come from the track with crappy feet (low heels/long toes) can be fixed.

I'm a rider that likes a horse that can do it all- hunt, event, jumpers, dressage, paper chase and trail ride. My Tb's have been excellent for the above mentioned jobs. My current horse is Letterman's Humor a very tough stakes horse who retired sound at age 8 from the track. He has amazing feet and lovely bone. He is brave, athletic, good mover, good jumper and just plain fun. I can gallop him flat out up hills on a paper chase and drop the reins and walk on the buckle the next. He took right to hunting. Loves xc. Dressage..well that is a work in progress but he has the ability for it He is also fat as can be and lives on timothy and a ration balancer.
                                          http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7222/7...5eed475b64.jpg
                                          http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7222/7...9f8909aedb.jpg

I am also constantly impressed by the quality of horses that come through CANTER MA that I retrain. I have two right now and they are just a blast. The one horse is a 4yr and my god is he game out xc. He is a solid guy, easy keeper, big feet, great mind, brave, willing and athletic. He just wants to jump the jumps and that is all that I can ask for right now.
                                          http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7...4106f94149.jpg

The other is a huge 16.3 7yr that looks like a warmblood. He has huge bone and big feet. What a great mind and he shows so much potential.
                                          http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7...aea705ac54.jpg
                                          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X