• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Where you are, versus where you thought you'd be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have all my best ideas cooling out my horses.
    Picking up poo does it for me.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• I should try that, DW. I listen to audiobooks while picking up poo and mowing. "Continuing education" for the farming lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
        I should try that, DW. I listen to audiobooks while picking up poo and mowing. "Continuing education" for the farming lot.
        I need to try that. I usually just listen to music, but I really shoudl pick up more audio books.

Although my mowing is about to be cut down a LOT with the new fencing that's going in.
        "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

• I don't think I ever had plans to "be" anywhere in particular. I have discovered that I really love my OTTBs and ride them better than horses that are probably fancier or "more suitable" for someone at my level with my schedule. I'm showing less, though still hitting the south (although we'll see if that happens with the new job starting this fall), enjoying "sharing" some of my horses and riding the guy I have, who is super. I am enjoying his development and will see if I have the time, bravery, whatever to get back to preliminary or just hang out at the lower levels. I decided early in my life that riding would never be a profession. Maybe because I've always considered it a hobby, I've never been super ambitious about it. I've also really enjoyed being involved in other ways, especially volunteering.
          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

• Yes you can. . .

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
            I like the reality of this thread. I love Denny Emerson, but the constant harping on how riders aren't really serious or potentially any good at all unless they sacrifice every single facet of their lives to ride all day, every day is sort of disheartening. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of us out here just doing it when and how we can.
            I like this post because I feel like last year I worked my butt off and it paid off. I spent my childhood with alcoholic parents and nothing was great until I met my current husband. At age 56 my husband said "you can't go to the olympics, but you can do the best you can and lets do it this year. So, last year I started my first year of rec competition in BN, I rode a very talented but extremely difficult mare. I found the perfect instructor (thanks Marcia!!!) and we qualified for the Nationals and Regionals in our first few rides, we got a Silver and Gold medal and were almost never out of first or second place all year. At the end of the year I was thrilled, I can never go to the olympics, but I am out there with everyone else in the trenches and lovin' it.

My only regret is that we couldn't afford to go to the Nationals, but did get to the Regionals and did really well. I'm ahead of where I ever thought I would be, I would like to be younger though

To give you an update, I have a Tb mare OTTB that I am bringing along and you can look for us next year in BN!
            RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

• This thread was a great one... I have read each and every post!

(sorry this is off track but...)
              Originally posted by deltawave View Post
              Kate, you need to go see a doctor who takes pleasure in figuring out oddball cases of hypertension. A nephrologist with an interest in hypertension, maybe. Chances are you have something off the beaten path that requires treatment that is also off the beaten path! Good luck.
              Where do I find one of those
              I am afraid to see doctors because I am tired of being thrown out the door without any answers, and no one wants to help me
              Eventers of the West
              A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
              Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Comment

• Originally posted by IFG View Post
                Isn't that the weirdest thing? I was only competing at Novice, but every week-end, me and one or the other of my daughters were hauling this place or that, spending the whole week-end competing or training. It was such a relief when my horse decided that he really had had enough. I probably could have injected, inspected, and done a million things to keep him going, but I couldn't afford it, and I didn't want to. I let him drop down a level with one of my kids for a few shows, and then we took to fox-hunting until he couldn't do that anymore. When my kids are out of college (two more years) I will probably get another young horse, but for now, we have fun. It had become such a rat race, trying to get to Training level, I didn't realize I wasn't having fun.
                THIS^ is just about what happened to me, too; I'd come home from an Event, dragging a trailer-load of filthy bandages and saddle pads and sweaty breeches behind me, and my Mom would say, "What makes you keep on doing this?" The answer I gave was, "I think maybe I don't know how to stop?"

Looking back on it now from a far distance, I DO know why; I was trying to prove to myself that I wasn't a coward. I'd spent my lifetime up to that point confusing adrenaline with fear, and fear with cowardice. Knowing my horse was getting older, I was going in the start-box with that voice in the back of my mind that aging fighter-pilots hear when they know they've been too lucky for too long: "Is this our last mission? Will today be the day it all comes apart?" Then when we'd go clear, I'd sigh with relief, hose us off, and sign up for the next one . . . in part, because I had a couple of BNT's telling me why in the name of the Gods didn't I want to get a better, younger horse and go higher?

Mercifully, when the end came, it was just being "off," which was diagnosed as a check ligament. Vet said, "I can cut it and have you back on course in 6 weeks." Instead, I said "No, he's almost 21, let's call it a day and give him the 6 months off." Brought the horse back into light work after that, he hunted, did dressage, and hacked for another 12 years. At that point my relationship with HIM, and my gratitude for all we'd been able to do together, far outweighed any ego-need I had to press him further.

Were there other horses I could have stepped up with? Sure. But to be honest, the fire in my belly went out, then and there. Some part of me realized then that these were artificial challenges, and that life with horses didn't need to be so much work, worry, and constant self-doubt: Will I be good enough tomorrow? Will I let him down? Will I get him killed? And, after what happened to Chris Reeve, is my life set up so I'll be taken care of if we take an unlucky flip like that? Notwithstanding that statistically the most dangerous thing I did every day was back the car out of my driveway!

For me, it seemed the right move and the right time to let it go. And yes, when the dust cloud is rising and the ozone warning is on the radio, I'm pretty happy NOT to be in the temp. stable on top of Skiff Mountain, trying to stuff electrolytes into my horse!

Comment

• Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  Does it for me, too. Alas, I'm "of an age" that if I don't carry a pen and notebook with me, all of that great thinking is gone by the time I get to the office!
                  "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

We are TOO much alike. I have to say that it concerns me that it is while shoveling sh*t that I tend to clarify ideas regarding my research. I am secretly worried that I am flinging manure in more than one venue .

Comment

• Originally posted by IFG View Post
                      ... I am secretly worried that I am flinging manure in more than one venue .
                      This is a given. It's being able to admit it that keep us sane.

Well, perhaps "sane" is a relative term ...
                      "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

• Originally posted by KateMcCall View Post
                        This thread was a great one... I have read each and every post!

(sorry this is off track but...)

Where do I find one of those
                        I am afraid to see doctors because I am tired of being thrown out the door without any answers, and no one wants to help me
                        http://healthcare.utah.edu/internalM...hysicians.html

"Afraid" belongs to things that are genuinely dangerous. Not physicians. Intimidated, sure, that's understandable. Take an advocate with you if you feel like your questions are not being answered, but there is nothing inherently dangerous about a doctor. They're quite human.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                          I'm with you. Riding should be a source of delight in our lives, the frosting as it were and not necessarily the entire cake or one runs the risk of becoming very one-dimensional. There are tons of "horse-people" who are incapable of talking or thinking about anything else, and frankly they bore me senseless!

In 1993, I was struggling along in a niche paralegal-services business that I'd started 17 years before a few years out of school. It was beginning to sink, due to unforseen market conditions. My one horse, whom I'd taken from spooking at x-rails to competitive at Training, had popped a check ligament and I'd just retired him from competition since he was 21. No second horse was on my horizon, and I felt fortunate to be able to afford to keep my old guy. We'd just had a major breakthrough right before the lameness, working with Jean-Claude Racinet, and the frustration of not being able to ride him for those 6 months was enormous.

I guessed the business would recover, my old horse would get sound enough to go on with dressage, maybe some day I'd be able to afford to start over with a younger mount. On and off for years I'd taught some lessons, house-sat barns, and wound up managing most of the (small) places I boarded him. I supposed that was the way it would be . . .

During that time, I took a few schooling catch-rides on a horse that my first teacher, a distant cousin, still had. A very old man, he still liked to keep a nice prospect or two about. His son lived in a distant state and he was more or less alone, so I'd go hang out and ride, then we'd talk over old times. He made me swear I'd put down the 44-year old pony I'd learned to ride and jump on, in the event the pony outlived him. I never expected that to happen. . .

I was at work when I got the call. N. had dropped dead on the barn floor on the way to get a load of hay. Was there anyone who could take responsibility for caring for the horses?
                          Yes. There was and I did. Wound up house-sitting month-to-month over that first long, hard winter, and talked his son into letting me bring in some boarders I knew so there would be enough revenue coming in . . . and I convinced him not to close the place up or to sell it, which had always been planned.

Well, I ran the place for the next 9 years! Never got a chance to return to eventing seriously, and never found another horse with the combination of guts, cattiness, and common sense that made my old guy such a joy, though it isn't for lack of trying. After a time the son returned home and took up his patrimony in that place, but I had in the interim come into life-use of a much larger property N. had up the road that at that time resembled the Howling Boonies--a couple of falling-down "shotgun shacks" and fenced with rusty barbed wire. There's a reason I call myself "Swamp Yankee"--this land had not been touched since the 1950's. I got out there with the loppers, the chainsaw and the hammer and Started. Had a nerve even charging people board! Took on a collection of bottom feeders, hard-luck cases and God's Waiting Room types those first few years . . . and persevered.

Well, 19 years later the place is quite civilized indeed, and under a land conservancy after I got tired of whacking snotty land speculators on the nose with a stick. The business I'd had when N. died, I folded in '99; and I'll never have another amateur card. 20 or so retired and pleasure horses, all of which live out on grass, provide a good income, so I've basically become the horse bum my father always feared. Altogether, I'm immensely grateful for the way things have turned out . . .

These days I've got a young mare who's bred like my old guy; and if I close my eyes and bridge my reins I could be riding his ghost. But because of a conformational weakness she has I'll never ask her to do the things he did; like a hawk with clipped wings, she'll live a quiet life of pasture and trail rides. And so will I. I'm past the age now where I go out seeking man-made ordeals with that fire in the belly of something to prove; I've found Nature sends you plenty to deal with as it is! Rising to THOSE occasions is now the measure of experience.

My great old horse, born in 1973, stuck around until 2005!
                          Very moving post. Thank you.
                          www.trying2event.blogspot.com
                          www.facebook.com/UltimateStormLARigsby

Comment

http://healthcare.utah.edu/internalM...hysicians.html

"Afraid" belongs to things that are genuinely dangerous. Not physicians. Intimidated, sure, that's understandable. Take an advocate with you if you feel like your questions are not being answered, but there is nothing inherently dangerous about a doctor. They're quite human.
                            It's the very fact that they're (only) human, that makes them inherently dangerous! But when you need 'em, you need 'em. This lady should come to the East Coast if need be to get satisfaction.

Comment

• True enough, but as I always say, talking can't really hurt anyone and all we ever do, really, is give advice . . . which can be (and often is) ignored at will.

If Kate wanted to come here I could introduce her to a dude who LOOOOVES oddball hypertension stuff.

Comment

True enough, but as I always say, talking can't really hurt anyone and all we ever do, really, is give advice . . . which can be (and often is) ignored at will.

If Kate wanted to come here I could introduce her to a dude who LOOOOVES oddball hypertension stuff.
                                My boyfriend has family in Detroit.... Next time we're in MI I'll let you know ha ha
                                Eventers of the West
                                A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
                                Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Comment

"Afraid" belongs to things that are genuinely dangerous. ... Take an advocate with you if you feel like your questions are not being answered, but there is nothing inherently dangerous about a doctor. They're quite human.
                                  And, as humans, prone to human error.

I know this is OT but I don't think KateMcCall is off base when she uses the word 'afraid.' There was that national study/report that came out about ten years ago that estimated that somewhere between 44,000 and 98,000 patients die each year as a result of human errors in medical treatment. Does that meet your definition of 'genuinely dangerous'?

(Car crashes kill about 35,000 per year, and that number has been on the decline for the last several years.)

ProPublica had an interesting report on this recently: Why Can't Medicine Seem to Fix Simple Mistakes?

No offense meant to doctors or to those who expected to marry one. Just citing some numbers.

Comment

• I guess I was (over?)reacting to Kate's specific assertion that she was afraid of, specifically, being "thrown out the door without any answers", not so much a perception on my part that she was afraid of doctors making mistakes or some such.

Any further hair-splitting on my part sounds dumb, so I've deleted it. So, points well taken. Putting one's trust in another person is indeed "genuinely dangerous".

Comment

• What JER said. Also, when you work closely with vets all the time, you have a greater appreciation of the guesswork going on, and how many unanticipated things can happen.

Perhaps opinions are also colored by early experiences; how much ya gonna trust the same people who pinned you down and stabbed you with needles as a baby, and then yelled at you for screaming?

DOGS are afraid of the vet. They know something!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                                        DOGS are afraid of the vet. They know something!

Shoot, mine never got that message. We were at the vet earlier this week and both of them tried to maul him for COOKIES!!! Then again, the staff are always so impressed by how easily handled my dogs are - no crying, nipping, growling, squirming or anything but tail-wagging. Even for shots, my border collie was trying to play with the syringe. He hates nail clipping day and bath day WAY more.

Comment

Working...
                                        X