• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hunter/jumper at combined training shows. help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter/jumper at combined training shows. help!

There is a lovely farm around here that holds several schooling shows each year. I like to take my green horses over to put some miles on them but I FAIL at the dressage portion of my tests. I've ridden dressage before, and school my horses on the basics, and was the owner of a 4th level superstar. Its the test that gets me. I can not remember these tests to save my life. There is an option to have them call out the tests, but id really like to graduate from that. Any pointers?

In doing the Prix Caprilli tests (if that's universal) and im not majorly concerned, but I am a perfections, and want to at least give my horses a chance. What are some key points that will help me out in my actual performance?

Do you mean dressage? I am not familiar with message.

If it is dressage, usually you will know what tests are offered before you get there. (Prize list or something). Then practice it at home. They are pretty easy to memorize especially when they are lower levels. I just try to think of it as a course without jumps

Comment

When I try to memorize tests, I think of them as patterns, rather than as individual movements. So when I repeat it back, I think of "enter working trot, down center line, track right, circle in the middle, lengthen across the diagonal" (rather than thinking of the letters). I find it easier to remember the shape of the test than the specific letters, particularly in the small arena - in the big arena, I often have to be more careful about how I remember a short diagonal or work through the middle. Other folks I know walk through their tests unmounted - literally walk the pattern (in a small space, not in the whole ring) saying the movements to yourself. You can also ride the tests, or sections of them, a couple of times during the days before so that the movements start to flow together.

And regardless, no shame in having someone read the test to you. I find that harder than just memorizing them, but everyone's different, and if it helps you to remember them that way, go for it! Have fun!

Comment

not sure what the Prix Caprilli tests are...but if they are using USEF tests, there is a great App for iphones that has diagrams of each movements etc. Helps you know how to ride them and visualize the test.

If you search USEF--you will find the apps for both straight dressage and for evenitng...most CTs use the eventing tests.

ETA: Just googled the Prix Caprilli test...those look like W/T tests, so the apps don't help you.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Well...how do you remember your courses over fences? Apply that same skillset

When I'm learning a new dressage test, I really like to get out into the arena and walk it myself, sans horse, a few times. Then I will repeat in my head. I find it's easier to visualize mentally if I've actually gone through the movements physically.

Comment

Prix Caprilli is a straight dressage test... with jumps in them! Not often offered, and I've wondered why... eventers should love them.

I find drawing the test on a piece of paper helps...
            "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Originally posted by GotSpots View Post
              When I try to memorize tests, I think of them as patterns, rather than as individual movements. So when I repeat it back, I think of "enter working trot, down center line, track right, circle in the middle, lengthen across the diagonal" (rather than thinking of the letters). I find it easier to remember the shape of the test than the specific letters, particularly in the small arena - in the big arena, I often have to be more careful about how I remember a short diagonal or work through the middle.
              This is what I do as well...bugs the heck out of dressage coaches!! I came from jumper land and this is the best way for me to remember where I'm going. I also "draw" the test in the air with my finger, similar to what I do when memorizing a stadium course.

Also, dressage tests get easier to memorize the more you do it. When I first started, I couldn't remember even the simplest dressage test. Once you learn more, you discover a sort of "pattern" to tests and where certain movements are asked for at certain levels (i.e. between letters instead of at letters) and it becomes easier to memorize them.
              "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

When I try to memorize tests, I think of them as patterns, rather than as individual movements. So when I repeat it back, I think of "enter working trot, down center line, track right, circle in the middle, lengthen across the diagonal" (rather than thinking of the letters). I find it easier to remember the shape of the test than the specific letters, particularly in the small arena - in the big arena, I often have to be more careful about how I remember a short diagonal or work through the middle.

Ditto. I couldn't tell you where exactly the letters in a dressage arena are to save my life... other than a, x, and c. Beyond that it's very vague: I know mxk is one diagonal and the other is hxf and b and e are the two to either side of x lol. I memorize the pattern, if I tried to add letters in there I would never remember the tests.
                Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

And regardless, no shame in having someone read the test to you.
                  actually, in Eventing, you cannont have a reader for the dressage test under USEA rules.

I find several techniques to be quite helpful... I have "ridden" a new test on foot in my rather large kitchen. Easy to visualize the arena, with a judge box at one end.

I also walk my horse through the test in an acutal dressage arena, passing by each letter, and saying the gait. For example, at the letter C say "walk walk walk" then at H say "free walk free walk" and at A say "trot trot" so I have both the point of the transition and the new gait memorized... while walking my horse and catching my breath.
                  Inese

Comment

Originally posted by Inese View Post
                    actually, in Eventing, you cannont have a reader for the dressage test under USEA rules.
                    No kidding. OP was asking about a schooling show, with a test that isn't under USEA rules.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
                      Ditto. I couldn't tell you where exactly the letters in a dressage arena are to save my life... other than a, x, and c. Beyond that it's very vague: I know mxk is one diagonal and the other is hxf and b and e are the two to either side of x lol. I memorize the pattern, if I tried to add letters in there I would never remember the tests.
                      A-All
                      K-King
                      E-Edward's
                      H-Horses
                      C-Can
                      M-Manage
                      B-Big
                      F-Fences

Or if you need ALL the letters, All King Victor Edward's Sport Horses Can Manage Really Big Plank Fences. Center line is G. I.s cross(X) Large Ditches

But yes, best to do the patterns over and over again!
                      The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

Walk it yourself a few times. I've tried tracing it on an arena diagram (which helped me visualize a lot better but it wasn't a perfect solution) but it wasn't until I actually got out into the arena myself that I began to feel confident that I knew it. As I go along I just say "trot trot trot... canter canter... halt" etc. so I know what I'm supposed to be doing where. I think it's also given me good accuracy in each movement since walking around the arena also gives me time to plan out how I'll ride each question.

Comment

Drawing them out on paper works wonders. Draw your arena, then draw your pattern using different pen strokes for different gaits.

Also, thinking of them as a full pattern vs. individual movements, like others have said, makes a world of difference!

If you have an area (living room, kitchen, garage, anywhere!) that can allow you to move around, walk out your test as you say it out loud. The area doesn't have to be huge, but I've found just making my feet move while saying the test solidifies it to memory.
                          runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Along w what everyone else has said, you might have luck using much the same language/system you use for learning a hunter course.
                            Center line, right, diagonal, circle at A, diagonal to vertical, circle at C, etc..

What fun that you have Prix Caprilli tests available!
                            http://wildwoodfarmnc.com

http://cantersgutenberg.wordpress.co...g-quiet-goose/

Comment

• Original Poster

I find that having the test called out IS more difficult. I like knowing what's coming next. See jumper courses are easier because there are only so many places you really CAN go when you land a fence.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                not sure what the Prix Caprilli tests are...but if they are using USEF tests, there is a great App for iphones that has diagrams of each movements etc. Helps you know how to ride them and visualize the test.

If you search USEF--you will find the apps for both straight dressage and for evenitng...most CTs use the eventing tests.

ETA: Just googled the Prix Caprilli test...those look like W/T tests, so the apps don't help you.
                                Link please to the USEF apps. Can't find them on the site.
                                Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

I print out copies of the dressage arena. I have different colored pens for walk, trot, and canter. I draw out the tests several times and then take a clean copy out and trace the test with my finger, calling out what I need to do. That does the trick for me.
                                  ~Veronica
                                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I have rode prix caprelli tests. They are fun and kind of confused my c/t horse lol. Jumps in the dressage ring lol. But he did great and scored in the 70s. Anyways ride the test as a dressage test. Longer irons nice deep seat connection with horse etc. When the jump comes which is usually no higher than 2 ft but usually xrails a nice light 2pt but be quick at picking back up your connection. Have fun and relax. Don't think about the test to hard. My key is to ride it several times before the show. Some people don't like doing this because of anticipation with some horses but it helps me. Just remember the pattern like a jump course. Remember what's next and what your riding don't stick to this letter do this because it can make you stress. Mostly think in stop track right circle walk in corner free walk diag trot etc. Just know the test at where to go
                                    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

@Inese---that's exactly what I do! I also made a print out of a dressage ring and will trace it with my finger and recite the test out loud. Works for me but everyone learns differently.

Comment

Working...
                                      X