• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Canter cuties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canter cuties

What do you guys think about these canter geldings? I'm not looking to buy, I just think they're cute.

#1 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

#2 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

#3 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

#4 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

# 1 would be my personal pick. He's definitely uphill and classic looking. PPE would be needed to verify the "healed" chips and to check on his hind pasterns which might be a bit short and upright. He's got a very promising pedigree for sport, with at least three separate lines back to Tourbillon, and many other goodies, both male and female scattered throughout.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Is #1's name a play off of the actor "Richard Gere"? Or however you spell that?! He's definitely a cutie. #2 looks scary skinny to me, but I'm not used to "race fit" horses. If pressed to choose just one, I'd snap up #3. I'm no conformation guru, but I think he looks well-put together, kind, and just elegant all around. I would definitely bring a trainer with me, though, to save me from myself! (Been puppy shopping twice - have two Jack Russell terriers).

Comment

My friend and I were oggling #3 the other day. I like him the best.
        http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
        R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Comment

#3 !! oolala! I see coat shining that guy up! and #4 for some nice kid, he needs a heart person. I sent both of those links to share with friends.
          Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

#3 has very long cannon bones in the rear and (it looks to me) as if he has very straight stifles and hugely long gaskins.

But my knowledge of functional conformation is limited to my personal experience, and the options of those who know about how long gaskins, long cannons and straight stifles affect performance would be very educational.

With #1, the point of croup is over the point of hip, which is good, but the croup is set pretty far back. How does that affect performance?

Paper on #4 is sterling for eventing. He's not got a bad line on the whole page, and Sir Ivor is his 2nd damsire. He's only three, so he's got a lot of growing to do yet.

#2's hind end reminds me of a jackrabbit.

Comment

I would snap up #4 for the MY BABU influence, albeit a ways back. http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Babu/112454445436640
              Love his sweet baby face, & his chunky monkey conformation.

Comment

We have a horse that is leggy like that and his back end is tight and clean over fences. Viney here's some performance/confo pics that may help show you this example.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...011/PA36-1.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ay2set2547.jpg

trying to find a confo pic of that back leg a bit
                http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../YHSSCF027.jpg

as an early 3 yr old
                http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...100_3066-1.jpg

so #3 doesn't scare me off a bit unless I had a closer look and really saw something.
                Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

Remember I look for re-sale, sound, vettable , rideable, talent, not keepers, so I have to have brains brawn and curb appeal..

#1 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

Like alot
                  even if he isn't the fanciest he looks a good solid selection

#2 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

This guy is lighter in bone more upright and uphill..would have to see him move and question if he is poor due to ulcers or brain

#3 http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings

First impression is to like, but base of nect is thick and maybe a bit short. Again need to see how he moves..like but not as much as #1 and 2

He's you has a bit of a dip to back althoug he has a leg at each corner he strikes me as a big Pony??? Young imature w/ nice pedigree but he just doesn't look as tall as they claim...he better be a fancy mover w/ huge jump power.

Comment

For a jumper or event prospect, I like #3's conformation the best.

I also like #4's confo. If I were looking for a hunter or pleasure/local prospect, I he'd be my choice because of his light race record and laid back personality. Would be an easier reclaim than some of the old, more heavily raced ones. I didn't go far enought back to see My Babu, but yes, that's a plus.

#1 stands over a lot of ground and would be a challenge to "put together" under tack. Even allowing for that he's not being stood up well, he appears to be *really* straight in the stifle.

#2 's neck ties into his shoulder very high and he has a classic shark fin wither that will make it difficult to fit a saddle.

DISCLAIMER: I was recently spanked in another thread by CANTER volunteers who dislike evaluations based on poor quality photos taken by volunteers because they hated the thought of a horse not getting a look because of a photo they might of taken. So for goodness sake, please go look at all of these horses in person, please.
                    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

Interesting to see who is attracted to what.

All are nice boys but I was drawn to #2. He screams athlete to me and I bet he can jump. Nice walk in the video.

He will look like a different horse in a year.
                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Agree with BFNE, it's interesting to see what different people are looking for.

#1 was ok for me, but his back went on for miles. My horse has a long back like that, and even at his best extended walk, he never over tracks as much as the judges want him to. Mechanically, with a longer back and shorter legs, he can't physically over track as much as a horse with a short back and longer legs. So my next horse will not be longed back.

#2 was a horse that I actually really liked. He looks athletic. I've noticed lately that a lot of upper level horses have some giant withers, so it's almost a better trait for me, even if it does make fitting a saddle a pain. The main thing I don't like about him is his face. I'd want to meet him because to me, he doesn't look terribly smart or brave. Something about his eye bothers me. I like his walk a lot.

#3 is a horse that I also like, just pretty straight in his hind end. I'd worry about the quality of movement and the ability to over track.

#4 looks fine, but more hunter-y and not built uphill, more level really. He looks like a solid citizen, but not necessarily an upper level horse. I'd buy him if my biggest aspirations were Training.

Honestly, I'd personally keep looking. There was a horse on CANTER a few weeks ago named Our Prince Charlie that I was absolutely in love with. Of course, his listing was gone within ten days. The good ones go really fast.
                        Comedic Eventing on Facebook

Comment

I quite like #3.

However I also like #2... I feel like with some groceries and a lot of muscle in the right places, he has a lot of fanciness potential. On a side note his color is interesting... I don't think I've ever seen a liver chestnut with legs lighter than the rest of his body! They're usually much darker.

Comment

I love #3, also like #4.

Comment

#1 is meh to me. Maybe in six months I would sing a different tune, but I wasn't knocked out by him.

#2 I like his body but I don't like his eye. His type is the type I am drawn to, but I just wish he had a little less of a pill look in his eye.

#3 Head over heels! I REALLY like him, even despite the fact he is way bigger than what I typically like (like, a solid hand bigger). He's just very quality to me with a great eye.

#4 I've been oogling for a couple of weeks. (I agree with you, Judy, he is not as big as they say he is!). Again, the type I tend to be drawn toward. Keep in mind that he is FAR younger than the other three (who are 7 and 8...he's 3!). So, his body is going to be very different. I am sure he is downhill because he's still GROWING. But I like him, a lot. Reminds me of Vernon at that age.

A note: I don't typically study their conformation terribly critically. If I see a glaring issue, I would probably bypass, but I also realize that these pictures don't always do them justice (nor do the circumstances they are being taken in). If I was shopping, I would want to see them in person and get a better feel for them and their bodies. When I'm looking, I tend to look at their overall presence and appeal to ME. Maybe not the best method, but I've ridden some VERY athletic horses with some interesting conformation.
                              Amanda

Comment

Take a good close look @ #1...his hind end is stuck out and he is standing down hill,so he looks butt high, re arrange his stance and you will see a nicer balanced horse with a huge shoulder and big withers...the better to jump with and ..no they definately are not shark fins...with his front legs placed properly and his neck and head encouraged to show him off there is way nicer package..but it does take some re arranging. Wish I was clever w/ photo shop..

A note: I don't typically study their conformation terribly critically. If I see a glaring issue, I would probably bypass, but I also realize that these pictures don't always do them justice (nor do the circumstances they are being taken in). If I was shopping, I would want to see them in person and get a better feel for them and their bodies. When I'm looking, I tend to look at their overall presence and appeal to ME. Maybe not the best method, but I've ridden some VERY athletic horses with some interesting conformation.
                                Agree 100%...I always say Function over Form wins every time...

Comment

Originally posted by judybigredpony View Post

He's you has a bit of a dip to back althoug he has a leg at each corner he strikes me as a big Pony??? Young imature w/ nice pedigree but he just doesn't look as tall as they claim...he better be a fancy mover w/ huge jump power.

I measured this fellow myself, so I can assure you that the measurement was accurate. Guy is a very sweet fellow who isnt going to set the world on fire as a racehorse, so he needs a new job. His owner trainer stressed that he has an excellent personality and is easy to be around. He is young, clean legged and has no issues.

Here is an unedited pic of Guy next to one of his people for size reference. Normally I edit as much out of the pics as possible to showcase the individual that is for sale.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24166...03309036oXinet

I would suggest calling his owner/trainer Debbie to talk to her about Guy if you have any legit interest in him - he will make someone a very nice prospect.
                                  Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
                                  Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
                                  Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Comment

I've just looked at the video of Running Order and his conformation is very interesting, in that it reminds me a lot of #1. Long backed and with the same short distance between the croup and the tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessi P View Post
                                      I measured this fellow myself, so I can assure you that the measurement was accurate. Guy is a very sweet fellow who isnt going to set the world on fire as a racehorse, so he needs a new job. His owner trainer stressed that he has an excellent personality and is easy to be around. He is young, clean legged and has no issues.

Here is an unedited pic of Guy next to one of his people for size reference. Normally I edit as much out of the pics as possible to showcase the individual that is for sale.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24166...03309036oXinet

I would suggest calling his owner/trainer Debbie to talk to her about Guy if you have any legit interest in him - he will make someone a very nice prospect.
                                      I seriously love this horse and have since the first time I saw him a few weeks ago. Wish all these cool horses were coming up a little later in the year!
                                      Amanda

Comment

Gotta say, I love #4. I also would mention that if you're looking for resale, IME it will be very difficult to move the older horses. The market is tough now and people want an 8yo to have a record.

ETA: That's a show record they want, not a criminal record!

Comment

Working...
                                        X