• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New to eventing and why monoflap saddles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to eventing and why monoflap saddles?

I'm a former hunter rider who recently completed my and my horse's first horse trial... in a fancy stitched, padded snaffle bridle with dee ring bit, and close contact hunter saddle that basically forces me to perch . Now that I have decided for sure that I want to change disciplines (I'm pretty much addicted now), I know that eventually I'd like to change saddles for a saddle that's a little easier to sit deep and up in. So that brings me to my question...

What is the point of a monoflap saddle? Is it just more secure? It seems like all the serious eventers ride in monoflap saddles.

Thanks!

Closer contact, lighter weight, because their trendy

Probably any and all of those. Not ALL serious riders ride in them, and I would LIKE to go back to a traditional saddle (I didn't like my monoflap) (I'm splitting the difference with an Albion Kontact Lite which is supposedly a monoflap, but is more of a traditional flapped saddle with long billets).

My suggestion to you would be to find a saddle that you are comfortable in and don't get stuck on monoflaps. You'll want one you can ride a little shorter in for xc, feels secure at the gallop and with drops, water, and sticky situations. You may or may not want more blocks (I hate big blocks, but there are some who love them). Depending on your conformation, you may find you want something with a slightly deeper seat and more forward flaps. OR, you may not. It will depend on you and how you like to ride.
    Amanda

Comment

Yeah... I'd honestly say the biggest reason is because they are trendy. They're a huge thing right now.

Beyond that, they can allow you to feel closer to your horse, and the blocks (thigh, rear) are obviously going to be on the outside.

I would go with the saddle that feels best to you and works best for your horse - not what you think you "should" have or what you think looks best, whether that ends up being a monoflap saddle or not.

I've noticed that monoflaps also tend to run at a higher average price than regular saddles. Not always true, but just seems to be something I've noticed.

Have you looked at any specific models yet?

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm not really in a position to buy a new saddle at the moment (getting married in a month and then a big move right after that), but I expect this time next year I will be seriously looking. I am definitely committed to switching over to eventing, and my current saddle isn't the best for me even before I stopped doing the hunters. I was really just curious because I've been paying closer attention to it now, and have noticed mostly everyone has the monoflap saddles.

Thanks for the insight! I expect I will just try lots of different saddles, and hopefully have a saddle fitter help find one that works for both my horse and me, when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frivian View Post
          I'm not really in a position to buy a new saddle at the moment (getting married in a month and then a big move right after that), but I expect this time next year I will be seriously looking. I am definitely committed to switching over to eventing, and my current saddle isn't the best for me even before I stopped doing the hunters.
          Even though you think your hunt saddle won't work for eventing, you should be okay with it at the lower levels. When I was a green rider I started out in hunters and eventually transitioned to eventing as well, and I evented through Novice in my Pessoa A/O and it was perfectly fine.

If you say the saddle was not a good fit for you even when you were in hunters, that may be a different story.

Comment

You may also need to think about your stirrup length in your current saddle, but it is also my observation that the same hunt saddle brand can work pretty well for eventing a half inch bigger, but that many of the hunters do ride in a smaller size saddle, which may encourage the perching and make it harder to stick over drops, etc (which will be small at the lower levels). I now ride in a monoflap (Wise-Air), which I really love, but previously evented through intermediate in a Berney Bros Dublin Jumper and have ridden in and liked an Albion Kontrol, a Devoucoux Oreka, and an older Courbette Pandur.
            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I feel like it would be hard to adjust the girth on my big, fat horses with a monoflap? How do you guys reach? I'm pretty short, with short arms, and the horses are 16.3 and 16.1-- and both have to be girthed up a little at a time.

Comment

Ditto what Amanda said. Ride in whatever is most comfortable for you. I came to Eventing from the Hunter/Jumper ranks as well and rode all of the way up to Preliminary using a borrowed Wintec Dressage saddle and my very flat Hermes Jump saddle with no problems.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Comment

I ride in a monoflap because I like my particular saddle, and it's a monoflap. I like the convenience of the short girth and long buckles. I find it easier to adjust while on the horse actually, as opposed to having to move my leg and move the flap when a horse won't stand still. I have a short leg and the buckles don't get in my way. I had a no purpose saddle before this one, which I rode through prelim with. It wasn't ideal, which is why it got changed out.

Comment

I agree with everyone who says to ride in what you are comfortable in, as well as effective in. It's not about how you "look" in eventing, it's about being correct, effective, and safe! Perching not allowed! lol

Also, it's best if you plan to truly make eventing your riding future, that you invest in a proper dressage saddle. Correct dressage in a jump or A/P saddle is torture.

And invest in some good training with a trainer whose focus is eventing. That doesn't rule out a great dressage trainer/clinic, h/j trainer/clinic, or visiting event clinician! Gain all the knowledge you can, but ALWAYS put the horse first!

Comment

I have a standard flapped saddle, with long billets. I like not having the buckles under my legs. Not hard for me to reach, same as tightening my dressage saddle girth. And I'm 5'1". Just lean over. I find it easier than with short billets, don't have to move the flap. I can either stop, or keep moving. For me it's the best of both. No buckle under my leg, but I don't like the feel of the external blocks.

Comment

Any thoughts on the durability of monoflaps versus flaps?
                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

On the note of tightening girths, I found tightening my monoflap to be much easier atop my horse. You just have to lean down further, but I was never very good at moving my leg to raise the flap and staying balanced.

On the note of why monoflap? You really ought to try and ride in one, preferably during an XC school. I vastly prefer the monoflap and feel extremely secure in it versus a double flap. Some people feel better in a traditional saddle. It's personal preference.

I personally don't feel that they can be considered 'trendy' anymore. They've been around for 10+ years and aren't going anywhere. I'd consider them an innovative saddle design that worked and so is here to stay. I'd consider the ones with the holes like the Wise-Air to be more of a trend.

Comment

I agree with the aforementioned reasons: closer leg contact (one less layer), no saddle flap shifting, buckles not under your leg.

That said, I don't think that a saddle being a monoflap is a deciding factor. And, frankly, I don't really think you necessarily "need" an x-c saddle - especially below Prelim. I have evented and foxhunted in a Beval Butet for years and it is definitely the best jumping saddle for me and my horse give that it puts us in excellent balance, etc.
                            "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

I loved both my monoflap saddles mainly because of what others have said -- put your leg closer to the horse (love the way they feel), are lighter weight, and no buckles under the leg.

I ride in Ansur now, so not monoflap, but very close to the horse -- feels great -- almost like riding in a bareback pad.

When the time comes, try a few and see what you like. I do recommend trying monoflap.
                              "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

Get a good fitting well balanced saddle.

I rode in my first monoflap 15 years ago---and it was an old saddle. And that was with a Jumper person (not eventer).

They have been around for a long long time....just not as easy to find before unless you had a custom saddle. There are just more nice saddles around now and more options.

I like a well balanced saddle. I do like how light weight a monoflap feels.....and you do get a nice close feel with your leg. But most important is saddle that fits and that has a good balance.
                                ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Talk to a number of saddle fitters about the monoflap versus traditional flap. I know the saddle fitter I use does not like the monoflap at all in that the girth being so much shorter is harder on the horse's back - and my horse has a sensitive back. So I would recommend doing your research now by talking to a number of saddle fitters and brands about why they recommend or do not recommend monoflap saddles and form your own opinion of what would work best for you and your horse.

Comment

because they are trendy.

I hate them.
                                    They are not that much lighter. And they are not that much more close contact. It's the use of the long billets that make me feel closer to my horse--in which case I have all of my saddles altered to have long billets.

they are less secure and the blocks are stationary
                                    I like big blocks that I can move where ever...

if you have never ridden in a saddle with long billets..
                                    well, they are like that saying--
                                    "once you go black..."
                                    http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Comedy View Post
                                      I personally don't feel that they can be considered 'trendy' anymore. They've been around for 10+ years and aren't going anywhere. I'd consider them an innovative saddle design that worked and so is here to stay. I'd consider the ones with the holes like the Wise-Air to be more of a trend.
                                      I had a monoflap Stubben over 20 years ago, so they're older than that, but I do think they're "in fashion" right now. I think they probably have their place but they're not a
                                      necessity and you'll see just as many people happily using dual flap saddles.

Don't think that by virtue of being a monoflap it will necessarily be better than a dual flap saddle. Try lots of them (of various types) and see what works for you.
                                      The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

Originally posted by JWB View Post
                                        I had a monoflap Stubben over 20 years ago, so they're older than that, but I do think they're "in fashion" right now. I think they probably have their place but they're not a
                                        necessity and you'll see just as many people happily using dual flap saddles.
                                        I would agree. Monoflaps are not a new thing, however, it is their widespread popularity that is new. Twenty years ago, you might see one monoflap saddle out of every 10 riders in the warmup ring. Now I would argue that it's a comfortable half, if not more.

Comment

Working...
                                        X