• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

what would you expect at intro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you expect at intro?

first....NOT COMPLAINING....

today i ran intro in area 2. as i walked the course i was a bit stunned to see two combinations on xc...

the first was a quasi half coffin. downhill to a ditch which in and of itself was a "big" question at intro. then 4 strides...to a roll top going uphill. immediately after was 6a b at the water. that's right.....a was a red coop at the peak of the downslope into the water. b was the water itself and it was flagged right at the water's edge as you enter. you then crossed the water and about 5 strides out was a red table.

i have ridden to training....and have done intro at other venues on my green ottb's.

seriously....i havent' had that sort of question asked at novice. a bright red coop with a one/possibly two stride landing going down a steep entry into mucky/reedy water.

i did voice my opinion to one of the hard always present volunteers prior to running.

as i result....i show that i had planned on being a confidence builder for my mare resulted in her grinding her teeth all the way around xc and two stops at the red coop with the expected prop at the water on landing.

am i wrong but don't you normally not even see these sorts of questions at beginner novice? don't you normally just pass through the water? good god

Yikes! I've done a few Area II events at Intro/Elem, and at exactly one of them water has been an option, not even required. I didn't see any ditches at that level. From the reading of the jump design rules I did recently, I don't think there's supposed to be anything going in to water until Training, unless I was reading wrong. IMVHO, that sounds like a LOT to ask of an Intro course! But Intro is unrecognized, so I guess you're at the mercy of the organizers

Would you mind PMing me the name of the venue? It sounds like somewhere I want to avoid as we're moving up and getting milage at BN! (And from looking at event dates, it doesn't seem to be the place I would have guessed.)
    A Year In the Saddle

Comment

That's WAY more than I would expect at Intro, but of course with any unrec level/event you pays your money and you takes your chances. I wouldn't expect a ditch or water on an intro course, quite frankly (though I try to go into it prepared for such things just in case), and most definitely NOT as part of a combination.

Under USEF rules, BN can have combinations on xc that have at least two strides and must be "straightforward." So, yeah, I'd be particularly irritated at a one-stride to the water at intro, since that's not even allowed at BN (though there's nothing that says the water can't be part of a combo - it's just implied that there shouldn't be a jump directly into or out of the water).

I'm all for being able to prepare for the next level, but making intro into a mini-Training is just silly. It should be open, inviting, and set horse and rider up for success. But organizers are of course completely within their rights to make it whatever they want to - and competitors are completely within our rights to choose not to visit such venues.
      Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Fair Hill, right? I thought it was extremely inappropriate, too. I did Prelim last year there and the fence two strides to the water was a 2'3 version of the Prelim question. I am not sure who designed this course (and I haven't done an unrecognized FH in a few years so I'm not sure how long this trend has been going on) but I am definitely going to write to FHI.

The Intro I did last week was all single fences with the water being an option of pass through or jump a small fence nearby. There was no ditch and no combinations. This has previously been my experience with this level, and I think it's what is appropriate for beginners/ baby horses. Fair Hill of all places should know better.

If you are looking for a softer, more appropriate course, maybe try Olde Hope in August? I'm going to take my guy to Full Moon, but he's proved he's ready for BN!

Comment

Wow, this description does not sound like an intro course to me. When CDCTA runs intro, everything is a single element and water is pretty simple, as it going through it without a jump. We call intro XC the "speed bump" division, but that's the point.

If the purpose of intro is to give the inexperienced horse and/or rider a very low level exposure to eventing, then it sounds like Fair Hill didn't get the message. I hope the OP completes the Area II feedback form as these comments are invaluable.
          Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
          http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

The starter trials there can be an intro mini olympics. I don't take my greenies there as I just don't find the questions are appropriate for the level.
            http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I've seen several questions like that now at UR events. Fourth fence on novice, a drop into water, a one stride at BN--flagged with different numbers but no way to jump it other than as combination. Chevron jumps, narrows...light to dark questions and terrain questions....seen them all. And yes...itty bitty combinations at intro.

I just treat these shows as controlled schooling. So If there is a question that I think is too much for my horse, I go around it or introduce it like I would at schooling. I let them know ahead that is my intention...and do not go to a venue that would not let you continue.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience.
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                I just treat these shows as controlled schooling. So If there is a question that I think is too much for my horse, I go around it or introduce it like I would at schooling. I let them know ahead that is my intention...and do not go to a venue that would not let you continue.
                Out of curiosty, would that be marked as elimination (technically), but they would allow you to finish the course?

A couple of weeks ago I did the start course at Full Gallop (Area III). They had a ditch and water, but both with optional log/roll top jumps. 9 jumps total with the last (ramp) being close to BN height, but not overwhelming. I loved this course for it gave Sterling and I the feeling of running a true course, there was terrain to manage after two jumps, but with enough time to adjust if you rode well. The confidence it provided for both me and my guy was enormous and I feel it set the foundation for us to work on BN by this year

I wonder how my trainer would have advised me on a course you describe. Either we would have done what BFNE suggested, or a lot of trotting into questions which has its own issues. It is too bad you had a bad experience for I know it takes time to build up the confidence bank account (for horse and rider) and withdrawals can be deep.

Comment

It's always been my feeling that unrecognized - you gets what you gets.

When there is only one ditch, or one water jump complex in a field, how do you run the little jumpers with the huge jumpers?

In order to give people the same chance across the divisions to get over the ditch or into the water, they have to figure out how to run the course thru those bottlenecks. I really like the idea of a little water and a big water, because you make something look more natural to a horse that way. How well I know such a thought costs MONEY....

I think a busy water complex bewilders horses! Especially a young horse, you ride up to a puddle surrounded by huge red houses and half rounds. WTF? they must be thinking. I think sometimes just passing through such a complex is a feat of great equitation on a green horse whose eyes are bugging out at this semi-town of obstacles.
                  Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                  Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Retread, they could easily have removed the Intro fence and there would have been plenty of room to walk into the water. They could easily have not put a fence after the ditch (or left the ditch out altogether) too. Both of these "questions" were ONLY on the Intro course (BN had larger versions). IMO there was no excuse and I am not going to do that level there again and would not recommend Fair Hill for beginners or green horses.

Comment

I am pretty much a permanent intro/starter level rider and I have never encountered a ditch at my level (I have seen it as an option with a coop next to the ditch or a pass through), a drop fence (have done a bank or two up), or any sort of combination and water is always an option with a flat entry and exit and MAYBE a fence 6 or 7 strides out.

I have never seen combinations in stadium at my level either, although there are occasionally related distances.

I WOULD like there to be OPTIONS of those things so I could practice them in competition (I have schooled them before) or have some fun but I would NEVER expect them.
                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

WOW

I thought you were talking about IBN when I read your title, then thought maybe there was a new name for Intermediate? Nothing like that here, although we just have little derbies....

Comment

Wow, not going to take my greenbean to Fair Hill any time soon, she'd have a stroke if I presented her with those questions. I have a hard time convincing her the regular XC fences aren't horse eating demons.

There is a really nice Intro and BN course at Fox Tale Farm in Bumpass, VA. They are having a UR this fall. No water, a baby ditch for the BN course, one baby bank and lots of really nice open ground incase you have to convince your OTTB that no this is not the Kentucky Derby and NO you are not allowed to grab the bit and run off. *G*
                          Eventing at Midnight Blog

Rodan and Fields, Ask Me About it
                          A Measure of Grace Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JP60 View Post
                            Out of curiosty, would that be marked as elimination (technically), but they would allow you to finish the course?
                            Yes...you are eliminated. Several venues are fine with it. I usually chat with the organizer first and voice it to the JJ (if there is one) as I approach.

Fair Hill is open for schooling.....a lot. The course was set there last week or the week before. I remember taking my green bean and schooling most of those questions. They probably made the course hard like that assuming many would have already schooled them....but doesn't matter if it isn't right for your horse. There are no guidelines/rules for UR events.....it is the risk you have in going to them.

I would say to be clear....at Fair Hill starter...the lowest level is Elem. The next level is Intro. Elem...is the same as Intro at most venues. Intro at Fair Hill would be closer to BN but lower in height (2'3"). The "ditch" is extremely small (and looks more like poles on the ground) and the fence after pretty far off--typically numbered different but again, even if not....you do what you need to do for your horse.

Not saying right or wrong....just want people not local to understand. I don't take my green bean to some starter events because I think the courses are more trappy or not the type of school that I want. You just have to walk the courses and make a plan for your horse. It is also why I don't usually do much "eventing" until my horse is further along. But UR events are a great way to get started in an affordable manner.....but you have to use your judgement and critical eye at all aspects....thinking for your horse and remembering that just because it is a competition, you can say--oh well, this isn't worth pushing my horse to do at this stage in their training and eat your entry costs. For other horses...that course would be great to introduce more technical questions at a smaller height. For others...too much.
                            Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 1, 2012, 11:41 AM.
                            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I would have had a heart attack if I'd seen that on my first Intro course. Our first one was log after log after log. It was great, since Pony and I hadn't even schooled XC our first time out.

I wonder if the course designer didn't exactly understand what "Intro" means. I sort of wish there were national parameters for the lower levels, so there was consistency. Events that host those levels could state whether they're adhering to those parameters or not.

It is entirely possible to make a water entrance fair with every level running through the same puddle. I think all the Area X events do it.
                              Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Yeowch!

That said, I do have video of my little mare, who came from Area 2, doing an itty bitty X/C course that included a jump over a teeny tiny log (like 1 foot) into water at some course down there.* She sort of skidded into it, popped over the log and trotted through the water, lifting her tail to leave her opinion of going through water

At that level, I *might* expect to see a pass-through water, maybe as an option. Ditches? eep!

*Does anyone recognize this course: lots of fairly low jumps in a not-huge, sloping field with some houses in the background which had nice views of the little water complex.
                                You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Wow as a total newbie who had a great experience at my first 3 phase I would probably not have even attempted this course. I was thrilled to find out out the tadpole at Rocking Horse had water optional. (I don't know if Tadpole would be elem or intro though)

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
                                    Yeowch!

That said, I do have video of my little mare, who came from Area 2, doing an itty bitty X/C course that included a jump over a teeny tiny log (like 1 foot) into water at some course down there.* She sort of skidded into it, popped over the log and trotted through the water, lifting her tail to leave her opinion of going through water

At that level, I *might* expect to see a pass-through water, maybe as an option. Ditches? eep!

*Does anyone recognize this course: lots of fairly low jumps in a not-huge, sloping field with some houses in the background which had nice views of the little water complex.
                                    Do you have it online? A link perhaps? This is Carousel Farms, near Wilmington, DE. It has an event put on by DVCTA of PA.
                                    http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...untry%20jumps/
                                    However they've utilized a recognized course designer since then and the jumps now are different.
                                    Last edited by retreadeventer; Jul. 1, 2012, 02:16 PM. Reason: add the link
                                    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                                    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
                                      Do you have it online? A link perhaps? This is Carousel Farms, near Wilmington, DE. It has an event put on by DVCTA of PA.
                                      http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...untry%20jumps/
                                      However they've utilized a recognized course designer since then and the jumps now are different.
                                      I don't think that's it. The course in my video has much more slope (though most jumping efforts were oriented uphill, which is a bit easier for the tadpole level horses and riders.) And it would be in Virginia or Maryland.

At my one and only horse trials (Green Acres in Madbury, NH), the elementary level did not include the water, and they had a ditch flagged so you could either jump the little ditch, or the small log next to it. Given Trump's fear of water, I was very happy to not have to deal with it. I think we jumped the ditch.
                                      Last edited by quietann; Jul. 1, 2012, 10:36 PM.
                                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Intro and Elementary being mini Burghley courses. And I find that even if the unrecognized divisions have ok xc courses then the stadium will get you. People should bear in mind that a stadium course does not necessarily get better as you add more and more rollbacks. It seems harder and harder to find courses that are appropriate for green horses and riders

Comment

Working...
                                        X