• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bowed tendons and eventing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowed tendons and eventing?

At the non-profit I volunteer for we just had a really nice prospect come in for rehab and adoption. He is really stunning and has a winning personality, is bold and looks like he might be a great mover. He even has some breeding that is desirable for sport. We are working on his feet at the moment, but he looks sound with boots on, vet says he is sound and should be fine on his healing bow. He is six and raced nearly 30 times. The only thing going against him is his size (he's about 15.2), but he's definitely a "little-big horse".

Anyway, anyone have success in eventing with an old bow? How would you feel about a nice horse that seems sound but has one? Do we bother aiming him at a sport horse career, or focus on trail/pleasure?

And just because he is so cute, here are some pictures
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/582730366eyWGGs

And his pedigree
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/sundance+kiddo

Thanks!
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Well I rehabbed my eventer from two front bows. BUT from the moment it happened he was iced and DMS sweated round the clock for a week. Then continued with the sweat and 6 months of stall rest with hand walking starting at about the 4th month for a little bit a day. Also did cortizone injections in his tendons along with laser therapy 2x a week starting at month 1. The injections were done once a month for 4 months. He came back to event sound at Prelim, do some mini prixs for jumpers, and PSG dressage. BUT honestly I don't think I would buy a horse with an old bow unless I knew the rehab that had been done with it.

By the way, after all the rest and therapy you couldn't even tell on ultrasound that he bowed. And it was his deep digital and superficial tendons on both.

Comment

How bad was the original bow? I think that would matter a lot.

I had a book all about bows a while back, and I remember the guy that wrote it said that there is nothing that is harder on tendons than flat racing, and that even if the horse can't race again, often it can do all kinds of other things, including jumping.

Comment

He's definitely gorgeous!
        Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
        Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
        Take us to print!

Comment

While I have seen (and owned) horses who came back to event at all levels despite a mild bow, from the photos, that cute pony has a not-inconsequential looking bow in front. Obviously, would want to look/feel in person, but it it's as the photos seem to make it appear, I'd want to see the ultrasounds for sure, and it would have to have a pretty good record of coming back after it was healed for me to take a look at him as an event prospect. Possibly fine as a kids' horse or at Novice and below, but I'd want him to have had super super rehab and very careful, slow buildup back to take the risk.

Pity - he's got a precious face.

Comment

My previous horse came off the track at age 7 with a low bow. He spent several months on pasture before I ever saw him and the bow was cold and set. I only did a couple of low level HTs on him but he spent the next 8 years show jumping with no problem with the bow. I did have it examined in a PPE to make sure it was completely healed and not in a way to interfere with his fetlock.
            It was a noticeable enough bow that when my trainer told me to take a look at him I replied that he had an extra joint in his leg.
            The vet that did the PPE said that how it heals can be more important than how severe it was.
            Nina's Story
            Epona Comm on FB

Comment

• Original Poster

I should have said the bow is not old yet, it is recent, 3 months ago. He was stall rested and treated for 3 months, but they decided not to bring him back to racing. I am working on a plan for him. I think he would be an amazing athlete, and want to do the best for him.

Comment

My old gelding had a front bow. He compeated at prelim and was doing novice and training while staying sound. It depends on how it healed, but I would not turn away a bow if it healed well.
                I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

My Buzz had a HUGE old set bow on the left front, and a much less noticeable one of the right front. Both were cold when I bought him, and both were u/s later. Even though the LF looked as if someone had glued a banana to his leg, none of his issues through his career were ever related to that bow.

Well, except for the fact that he had to be turned out in boots because it was so large he banged it with a back foot all the time, and it made boots hard to fit. But, seriously, his was comically large.

He was also 15.2, on a good day, if he was wearing shoes, and you tickled his tummy to make him stand taller.

He competed through Training level with Ralph Hill, because he had more jump than I could deal with and he and Ralph loved each other. Plans were to have moved him up to Prelim, but he dinged a suspensory, and we gave him a lot of time off to heal following that injury. (He was seriously the most accident prone horse I have EVER had)

But, as to your question -- when he was going Novice with Ralph, I had several people express interest in buying him, despite the very visible old bow.

But, that was only after he had proven he could stay sound to go to Novice, and having a pro riding him I'm sure made all the difference. The fact that he was willing to compete him made a lot of people think that the old injury was not a big deal. If it had been just me, I know the ability to sell him would have been much lower.

An old bow obviously wouldn't deter me, but I am not like most potential buyers. I'm a sucker for a cute face, and a "devil may care" attitude, apparently.

Libby
                  I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
                  Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Comment

That bow, from what I can see is a high bow. Not good. He is very pretty, but unless we are talking max training, and realizing its going to take a lot of work to keep it from reinjury, and in all liklihood, will happen again, i would look some more. If you are able to continue care when he would need retired, you might be ok...i just wouldnt get into that bow.
                    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                    www.mmceventing.com

Comment

Over he years I've heard fof several horses who evented on bows Jeff Mckessock (CAN) had a horse he ran at KY, also Radnor
                      breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gold2012 View Post
                        That bow, from what I can see is a high bow. Not good.
                        FYI, it's a mid bow that is nowhere near his knee or his ankle, which from what I understand, is the best case scenario given proper rehab.

He's not for me, just a project and a very special boy. I am trying to figure what the best course of action is.

Comment

Definitely a mid bow, not high. My horse did his twice, mild both times and came back extremely well, although I only take him preliminary now, he's 18.
                          My mothers racehorse just came off the track with an almost identical bow as this grey horse. He got PRP therapy and shockwave. It's been 60 days since the PRP and it almost doesn't show up on the ultra sound. He's been given an excellent prognosis for a full recovery. He will have a year off from the injury date and then will go to work as an event horse. He is only 3 now anyway, so a year of nothing will be good for him. Starting at 90 days out from the PRP treatment the vet actually wants me to do a 'working' rehab, slow 5 minute trots, and working up from there over the next 6 months.
                          His was a 20 percent tear of the superficial tendon. Do you known the percent tear of your guy?
                          Also, Custom Made had a huge banana bow, and was rehabed and won gold at the Olympics.......

Comment

One of my favorite event horses had 2 giant banana bows and I never had trouble with them. He did 2 1* and went Int. with me. I also know a number of horses who bow steeplechasing and have run successfully again without re-injury of the site. You'd have to work pretty hard as an eventer to put more strain on a horse than a steeplechase race .
                            Shop online at
                            www.KoperEquine.com
                            http://sweetolivefarm.com/services.php

Comment

He is GORGEOUS! Are you in NorCal? I'd like to learn more about him!
                              Sit up and kick on! ~Phoebe Buckley

Comment

At your rehab place, do you keep these horses for years before you adopt them out, or do you get them going under saddle and try to find them new homes quickly? If it is the latter, are you actually going to have him long enough to worry about "aiming" him at anything?
                                He's lucky to be a flashy enough color and have a cute enough face that he'll get second looks. If someone decides they can live with the bow and with his basic conformation, then it's really up to the adopter where to aim him. Maybe he'll stay sound, maybe he won't. With bows, you just don't know until you try, but that seems like it will be the job of his adopter -- hopefully not something he'll hang around the adoption place long enough for you to worry about.
                                Last edited by NeverTime; May. 17, 2012, 07:40 PM.
                                I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

In my experience....I subscribe to God's theory....bows will break your heart. It's unfortunate but I have really found this saying to be true. There is however always an exception to the rule! And I second GotSpot's rehab thoughts, very important how it is done.
                                  Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                                  Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I usually dont mind a properly rehabbed bow in a horse that I intend to keep, or keep long enough to prove it can do the job on it.

But this guy.. Well, his front end is SO HEAVY. He is so cute! But when I look at his whole package, I think trail horse, to keep him sound.
                                    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                    ---
                                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I have rehabbed and retrained a lot of off-the-track Thoroughbreds - I've seen blown suspensories and bows, that have rehabbed and doing fine in jumping careers. I had one mare several years ago who had a bad low bow, actually had people tell me that I would never be able to fix the leg -- I gave her plenty of time off, standing wraps while in the stall, and she healed wonderfully -- was jumping 3'9" cross country comfortably when she was sold. She is now foxhunting first flight.
                                      I would say for lower level eventing, he would probably be fine -- as noted by someone earlier in the thread, probably fine through Novice. I think jumping bigger fences at speed would put him at higher risk of reinjury, but have also seen a lot of ugly injuries go on to be very good jumpers with successful careers. Biggest thing is that he has plenty of time to heal and a slow, steady return to work, and any prospective owner should be ok with not being able to do a lot of riding for the next few months.
                                      He's a handsome boy, good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                        I usually dont mind a properly rehabbed bow in a horse that I intend to keep, or keep long enough to prove it can do the job on it.

But this guy.. Well, his front end is SO HEAVY. He is so cute! But when I look at his whole package, I think trail horse, to keep him sound.
                                        It's so funny how pictures can tell such a different story than what a horse is in real life. In person he is light and agile like a cat, but he does have a big shoulder which I guess makes him look heavy in the pictures? He literally floats over the ground, even with those clunky soft ride boots on.

The western folks think he'd make an amazing reining horse, not sure the chances of that with a bowed tendon??

Comment

Working...
                                        X