• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Storm Cat offspring for eventing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The O'Neill's at Slyguff Stud in Ireland are currently standing two Storm Cat sireline grandsons for sport horse breeders there. They formerly stood Master Imp. It will be interesting to see if any of foals from their stallions make it to the the top in eventing or show jumping. No Storm Cat descendant that I'm aware of has ever completed a 4*; Jon Holling had one for a few years that made it to the 3* level. Werner Geven had a Jumpstart son who completed two CCI3*s and was eliminated at two others, but did quite well in CICs. Horse tried Rolex once and was eliminated.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by halt View Post

I know this is an old thread which stayed my hand for a bit, but yes, I agree with above.

My experience with his grandget is that by and large they seem to be very clever, but still maintain that sensitivity (when I say sensitivity I am not talking "high strung", I'm talking they are very perceptive). Most you can ride an XC course on the buckle once you retrain them, they are that sensitive to your seat and aids. They are usually very big of frame, good movers (especially through studs like Black Minnaloushe, Frost Giant, Giant's Causeway, Johannesburg, etc), and of course, have jumping ability in spades. I do not find them any more difficult than any other horse, personally.
      I agree about the Grangget. My 11yr old OTTB is a Giant's Causeway.. he does have settle slew on his dam's line, but he is a big Goofy 16.3 chestnut gelding.. he race oil he was 8 and retired sound. He did have some ankles when we got him, but it really seemed to be just superficial swelling as they have gone down just with and oral supplement and probably the fact that he gets 12-24 hr turnout depending on the weather.

I will say he is super smart. He is definitely opinionated and when he is upset he lets you know. But I keep working with him on his manners. I have to firm and very clear about boundaries. I think he was allowed to nip a lot at the track and its something we worked on a lot. But he isn't aggressive or mean, more cheeky and sometimes forgets that I am not his pasture mate, but rather the boss. He can jump things easily and canter for days. I love watching him do his laps around the paddock which has quite a bit of undulation to it, and joke that if an eventer saw him, they would want to buy him. He just looks so effortless when cantering on the grass.

I've gotten hooked on the OTTB, previously my last jumper was a DWB, but he was half Thoroughbred on his dam line... But I don't think I would hesitate to buy an OTTB with Storm Cat in the bloodlines, especially if Giant's Causeway is the sire.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
        The O'Neill's at Slyguff Stud in Ireland are currently standing two Storm Cat sireline grandsons for sport horse breeders there. They formerly stood Master Imp. It will be interesting to see if any of foals from their stallions make it to the the top in eventing or show jumping. No Storm Cat descendant that I'm aware of has ever completed a 4*; Jon Holling had one for a few years that made it to the 3* level. Werner Geven had a Jumpstart son who completed two CCI3*s and was eliminated at two others, but did quite well in CICs. Horse tried Rolex once and was eliminated.
        thanks for that - why doesn't slyguff have a website?

found a video of him, here:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC18KYgiYLw

about 6 minutes in.
        looks like a nice horse that maybe needs some manners but you can see GC's influence in him. overall looks like a nice class of horses.
        "i'm a slow learner, it's true."

Comment

I have a Kiss Prints... she is a true four star prospect... except she is hot, difficult, and accident prone.

Comment

Originally posted by DGEventing View Post
            I have a Kiss Prints... she is a true four star prospect... except she is hot, difficult, and accident prone.
            You have the mare, Kiss Prints?

There's something to be said for a double of South Ocean.

Personally, I think that's where SC got a lot of his athletic talent and movement. South Ocean's son, Storm Bird, consistently passed on great (IME) sport potential. South Ocean has a dam-line to die for, for sport purposes.

Comment

Storm Cat horses are typically very very athletic but are hotter horses.

Comment

The thoroughbred person in me shudders recalling dealing with true Storm Cats!! In my experience there are some descendant lines that aren't so difficult and some that are. They can be super smart and athletic, if highly strung, or downright dangerous. Guess it depends on how influential the dam's temperament is. As an aside, I've always heard it said that Storm Cats have offset knees but you just have to find one that is equally offset in both knees to stay sound

Comment

Originally posted by bella_j View Post
                  The thoroughbred person in me shudders recalling dealing with true Storm Cats!! In my experience there are some descendant lines that aren't so difficult and some that are. They can be super smart and athletic, if highly strung, or downright dangerous. Guess it depends on how influential the dam's temperament is. As an aside, I've always heard it said that Storm Cats have offset knees but you just have to find one that is equally offset in both knees to stay sound
                  Seems a little hyperbole to me about an entire line being "downright dangerous".

My experience/opinion still stands that I have not dealt with SC offspring or grandget that were any more difficult than any other horse. I'll repeat that I think the bulk of his reputation is exaggerated and probably has more to do with improper handling than a bad horse.

I've ridden several of his direct offspring and many of his grandget, and would not say they had attitude issues.

RE: Soundness.. don't think he is any more unsound/sound than any other super commercial, very popular line.

Again, he is so far back in most pedigrees now I'd hardly blame him for any issues people are having in their horses.

Comment

I'd disagree that "he is so far back in most pedigrees now." Grandfather is not too far back to have a great influence on a foal. There have been well documented instances of traits "skipping a generation." We don't know enough about genetics to understand why that can happen, but history has proved time and time again that it can happen.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken Storm Cat only quite breeding not more than eight or ten years ago. He was definitely available in 2008.
                    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Here's mine http://www.pedigreequery.com/zuloushe
                      Opinionated, spooky, but very athletic. I just cant ride him. He spooks, spins and bolts. I think I'm not up to it, someone else more skilled could probably do well. He lunges and free jumps beautifully, just riding is a bit of a exhilarating experience! Now he's a pasture decoration.

Comment

I’d never rule out any horse just because he has storm cat...and will seek out ones by GC or sons.

I have several—-at various levels of retraining. And honestly the very much range in type. From big and rangey to Little and sporty. I have 3 that look to be top contenders...one is running Prelim and shows form for much higher.
                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                          I'd disagree that "he is so far back in most pedigrees now." Grandfather is not too far back to have a great influence on a foal. There have been well documented instances of traits "skipping a generation." We don't know enough about genetics to understand why that can happen, but history has proved time and time again that it can happen.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken Storm Cat only quite breeding not more than eight or ten years ago. He was definitely available in 2008.
                          I'm not arguing that it can't happen, but his sons and grandsons are so different in type - look at Giant's Causeway vs Tabasco Cat. To blame a grandsire for bad temperament or dangerous behavior is, to me, a stretch -- first, I'd look at bad handling or management, personally -- since the SC sons I knew direct off the track were fine once they were in a non-track home.

I really didn't have the same experience with his kids that people are reporting (unsound, difficult, dangerous).. It's more about looking at the individual in front of you.

Considering how early many of his sons and grandget went to stud career, he is, at this point, most commonly a grandfather or GG in young horses coming off of the track and into sport homes. He is as far back as four generations in some of the prospects I've looked at.

I'm with BFNE and have been saying now for three or four years that GC is really a horse to watch for sport. His son Stonesider blows me away with the sport horse types he has on the ground: same with Frost Giant. Black Minnaloushe, Johannesburg and Hennesey are also stallions to look for for sport horses.

Comment

I’ve got a young prospect that’s by Frost Giant that seriously ticks all the boxes. I’m kinda of hoping that I sell enough other horses that I can justify hanging on to him to go up the levels. He’s absolutely the whole package and I will be looking for another once I have room.

** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Here is my hopefully UL dressage horse: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...500&registry=T

Any thoughts on this pedigree for sport horses? TIA!

Comment

You have the mare, Kiss Prints?

There's something to be said for a double of South Ocean.

Personally, I think that's where SC got a lot of his athletic talent and movement. South Ocean's son, Storm Bird, consistently passed on great (IME) sport potential. South Ocean has a dam-line to die for, for sport purposes.
                                http://www.pedigreequery.com/kiss+prints
                                ^ Yup, that's her. She is definitely one in a million. Honestly I'm not well-versed in pedigrees. A friend of mine knew her connections at the track, knew she needed a home (wasn't winning, owner wanted to put her down), knew I had an open stall... so left me a voicemail "So... don't be mad, but I just left a horse in your barn. You can thank me later."

Comment

http://www.pedigreequery.com/cantcatchtherabbit

this has been quite interesting for me as I know nothing about bloodlines. I bought a storm cat grandson to be my event horse and man has he been a problem. His soundness issue is that he has kissing spines and he has an attitude and aggressiveness that lead people to believe he was not gelded correctly (I tested, he's gelded). He has progressed greatly over the past year I've had him but he still tries to kick you and spins and bolts on the lunge line and under saddle his go to is rearing with bolting and bucking a close second. All the behaviours are slowly being worked out with very consistent and correct training but he has been a huge challenge. When I got him I thought it may have been the upbringing he had but now I'm seeing it might be partly his breeding too!

Comment

Originally posted by khalliaar View Post

this has been quite interesting for me as I know nothing about bloodlines. I bought a storm cat grandson to be my event horse and man has he been a problem. His soundness issue is that he has kissing spines and he has an attitude and aggressiveness that lead people to believe he was not gelded correctly (I tested, he's gelded). He has progressed greatly over the past year I've had him but he still tries to kick you and spins and bolts on the lunge line and under saddle his go to is rearing with bolting and bucking a close second. All the behaviours are slowly being worked out with very consistent and correct training but he has been a huge challenge. When I got him I thought it may have been the upbringing he had but now I'm seeing it might be partly his breeding too!
                                    Or maybe it's the kissing spines.
                                    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post

Or maybe it's the kissing spines.
                                      After spending thousands of dollars on vet bills and getting the all clear to ride him I doubt it. Not only that but when he presents with pain in his back he stops any bad behaviour and moves very complacently in quietly walk trot then refuses to Canter. As soon as he feels better he goes back to acting like an idiot. His biggest triggers for miss behaving are things dragging on the ground and sounds. If someone tries to mow the lawn or grate the driveway are used to become completely unmanageable

Comment

Originally posted by khalliaar View Post

I have a horse with KS. I've taken care of many horses with KS.

To me, it 100% sounds like it's the KS. KS is really a systemic issue IMHO, because it causes overall body malaise, not just in the area that is impinging.

When they are in pain they don't think normally, or "rationally" as we put it. They get defensive, they're extra worried, they can really act or jump out of their skin and we chalk it up to their personality when most of the time, it is because they are in pain and they are guarding themselves. A wild horse in pain has to be extra vigilant - it's just their instinct to be protective of themselves... and pain really does change how an animal or human processes things.

My own personal horse with KS has never offered to buck, or kick out at me -- but he has a very hard time lunging. Lunging is very painful to most horses with KS, and I suspect that's why you're seeing the misbehaviors - if you can even call them that.

I will say when I had my horse's back injected after the KS diagnosis, some of the minor things I always thought were weird about him went away -- he became much more friendly, and in my pocket. He had never been rude or aggressive or grouchy but he had always seemed emotionally distant, a consummate professional type. He's still not cuddly, but he's much sweeter. He was in more pain than I realized.

He also demonstrated no lameness or back pain on palpitation, but the x-rays showed a different story and when we did mesotherapy he was incredibly reactive - so he was in much more pain than we realized, but since he was such a stoic, quiet horse, he didn't let it on.

It sounds like there are multifaceted issues here, unrelated to your horse having SC all the way back in his pedigree. All things considered he has a fairly "quiet" pedigree in terms of sire/family personalities.

Investigate the pain. He's not an idiot for reacting to pain. What are you doing to manage the KS? Did you have lig op, injections, are you supplementing with any sort of pain or muscle medication, robaxin, previcox, the like? Have you had his saddle professionally checkeD? That's very important for a horse with KS.

Comment

I have a horse with KS. I've taken care of many horses with KS.

To me, it 100% sounds like it's the KS. KS is really a systemic issue IMHO, because it causes overall body malaise, not just in the area that is impinging.

When they are in pain they don't think normally, or "rationally" as we put it. They get defensive, they're extra worried, they can really act or jump out of their skin and we chalk it up to their personality when most of the time, it is because they are in pain and they are guarding themselves. A wild horse in pain has to be extra vigilant - it's just their instinct to be protective of themselves... and pain really does change how an animal or human processes things.

My own personal horse with KS has never offered to buck, or kick out at me -- but he has a very hard time lunging. Lunging is very painful to most horses with KS, and I suspect that's why you're seeing the misbehaviors - if you can even call them that.

I will say when I had my horse's back injected after the KS diagnosis, some of the minor things I always thought were weird about him went away -- he became much more friendly, and in my pocket. He had never been rude or aggressive or grouchy but he had always seemed emotionally distant, a consummate professional type. He's still not cuddly, but he's much sweeter. He was in more pain than I realized.

He also demonstrated no lameness or back pain on palpitation, but the x-rays showed a different story and when we did mesotherapy he was incredibly reactive - so he was in much more pain than we realized, but since he was such a stoic, quiet horse, he didn't let it on.

It sounds like there are multifaceted issues here, unrelated to your horse having SC all the way back in his pedigree. All things considered he has a fairly "quiet" pedigree in terms of sire/family personalities.

Investigate the pain. He's not an idiot for reacting to pain. What are you doing to manage the KS? Did you have lig op, injections, are you supplementing with any sort of pain or muscle medication, robaxin, previcox, the like? Have you had his saddle professionally checkeD? That's very important for a horse with KS.
                                          Yes his saddle has been fitted to him and we have investigated his pain. When it stopped he went back to rearing and being reactive. He gets shockwave as well as meso for the kissing spines and is checked by the vet every 3 months or so. I want to be clear he was xrayed during his pre purchase and did not have kissing spines and yet reared both in hand and under saddle from day 1. The back pain started 6 months into his training and the new X-rays showed 3 lesions. During the time I thought had developed a pain issue all rearing stopped. His vet has flexed him and many diagnostics and the back is his issue which he presents in a very obvious way.

Comment

Working...
                                          X