• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Loose horse!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose horse!!!!

Is there any way to train the "I'm outta here!" out of a horse after it bucks you off celebrating after an XC fence while schooling with a group of horses?
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

I think Reed was the one that would lay down in the area and feed his young horse treats from the ground.
    There was a great video in the snow when he winds up on the ground and his horse does a lap and comes back to him for the treat.

Maybe somebody else can find the link to the thread (I am search function impaired)
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Of course there is-train it like you'd train any other wanted behavior. You train it when you DON'T need it. Positive reinforcement, a clicker even, if you want to engrain it really quickly. Walk along, hop off without telling him you're going to, ask him to halt, click and treat. Simple. Then do it 100 times, pouring on the praise. Then from trot. I don't know how coordinated you are...if very, do it from canter. I wouldn't dream of doing this any more! I also like Reed's scheme but don't get walked on!
      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Lunge it first? Give it a good hour's hack before jumping?

My smarty pants greenies often go hunting. After two hours of trotting they do not feel much like celebrating after jumping a log in the woods.
        Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
        Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

If there is please let me know!

My guy has successfully dumped me twice on cross country at events and both times took off for the hills no matter what I did... Would love to hear some additional ideas on how to deal with this. The getting off and treating is a good thought, I'll have to give it a go!

Comment

We do need to find that Reed video. It's hilarious..hmm...
            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Sadly, now I can't crouch down to put his front boots on without him trying to ask for a snack.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150473418167622

It was not just the arena. I would ride him out and when we were done, I would hop off, lay down in the road/parking lot/field, and give him a carrot or other treat.

Reed

Comment

The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

My old AQHA mare would come and "check on me" if I fell off. No treats were ever needed.

She could also be a pain to catch (even a bucket of sweet feed wouldn't help - I think she saw it as a game because she loved being ridden and getting away from home). However, if I pretended to limp - like I was hurt - or if I was able to pick up one of her back legs...well then I had her.

I really miss that mare. *sigh*
                  The Sempiternal Horse

Comment

• Original Poster

Well since I had warmed up for dressage, ridden a test, warmed up for stadium, jumped stadium, hacked 5 minutes to the course, then had ridden out there for 20 minutes I'm not sure that lunging her would have helped

Everything else went well and after we chased her down in a golf cart and hacked her back out she was fine.

She just got a little excited down her first drop and then celebrated her courage on the landing.
                    Last edited by enjoytheride; Apr. 22, 2012, 10:06 PM.
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                      Sadly, now I can't crouch down to put his front boots on without him trying to ask for a snack.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150473418167622

It was not just the arena. I would ride him out and when we were done, I would hop off, lay down in the road/parking lot/field, and give him a carrot or other treat.

Reed
                      Brilliant!

Comment

Love it! Reed, can you come work with mine? : )

Comment

It's probably not a horrible idea, but after Horse ran off with me twice after dumping me outside of the arena (once on a trail ride, once on XC), I've taken to keeping a death grip on the reins when I've hit the dirt... it took a couple times after that of me falling and getting dragged for about 5-10' before Horse would realize, "oh damn, she's not letting go" and stop.

I fell a few months ago (in the arena this time), and it was the first time in ages where I dropped the reins... and it was the VERY first time, ever, that Horse just stopped, loose, and stood there next to me. (He got ALL kinds of "goodboy!" and pets when I got to me feet, lol-- I try to make a point of praising him if he attempts to stay put when I fall off, since 99.9% of the time it's my own stupidity, not his.)

A couple weeks ago, I took a header on a blacktop road when a cyclist spooked us by riding up silently behind. I held onto the reins for half a second but it was clear Horse was NOT stopping this time, so I let go, and off he ran up the road, loose... To my absolute shock and delight, when I stood up and called him, HE CAME TROTTING BACK, right to me.

Not that I'd advocate getting dragged on the ground if you happen to become separated from the tack, but it seems to have worked for us.
                          *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

Originally posted by cnvh View Post
                            It's probably not a horrible idea, but after Horse ran off with me twice after dumping me outside of the arena (once on a trail ride, once on XC), I've taken to keeping a death grip on the reins when I've hit the dirt... it took a couple times after that of me falling and getting dragged for about 5-10' before Horse would realize, "oh damn, she's not letting go" and stop.
                            Aren't you worried about his mouth when you hang on like that? I was always taught to let go immediately when I fell. Both times my horse dumped me, I held on for about 2 seconds, but let go because he was pulling back and I was concerned about yanking on his mouth.

Comment

My most serious injuries have been when holding on after a dumping! It is a tough, split second decision-let go and risk his getting badly hurt or hurting someone else OR hang on and surely get hurt yourself. Now I am so old and wise, I let go. Luckily my present horse always stands, staring at me with a dumbfounded expression...

OTOH, one time I got dumped between the start box and the first fence. (yes, very graceful) I held on, I was NOT letting that cow get away. He dragged me back through the stream that had spooked him in the first place, so now I had grass AND water AND mud all over my a$$...I got to my feet, having been looking squarely at his galloping boots galloping next to my face. I dragged him back to the start box, climbed the box, lurched into the tack, gave him a whack or 3 and rode the course (quite well, actually). Later on that day, a man and his 10-12 year old daughter found me at stabling and told me I was their new eventing hero, they'd never seen such guts. Hahaaaa. Brave or stupid, right?
                              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Originally posted by cnvh View Post
                                It's probably not a horrible idea, but after Horse ran off with me twice after dumping me outside of the arena (once on a trail ride, once on XC), I've taken to keeping a death grip on the reins when I've hit the dirt...
                                I have had multiple shoulder separations from doing this. Holding on the reins can also bring the horse into your space and inadvertently cause them to land on you. I would not advocate holding on to the reins to teach a horse to not run away unless you were sure you could control the situation. Hence the treat routine with a baby.

Comment

Even if you land on your feet, holding onto the reins is generally NOT a good idea. Unless you are riding with long split western reins then you have at least a snowballs chance. You're just going to pull the horse over into you, deadly hooves and all.

Many years ago I had a horse tip me over his shoulder. I stuck the landing and stood there, split rein in hand, facing the horse. At which point he said "HOly $#1T, where did YOU come from, and wheeled and headed home."
                                  There was no holding him.
                                  ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

Bring his pony with! After my guy dumped me in an exuberant schooling moment, he ran around whinnying until he located my daughter on her little Welsh pony and made a beeline for them. Stopped next to the pony and put his head down like, "I'm done, thanks!"
                                    TypaGraphics
                                    Graphic Design & Websites
                                    typagraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                                      I have had multiple shoulder separations from doing this. Holding on the reins can also bring the horse into your space and inadvertently cause them to land on you. I would not advocate holding on to the reins to teach a horse to not run away unless you were sure you could control the situation. Hence the treat routine with a baby.
                                      And finally, you also risk pulling the bridle off and making the horse even harder to catch.
                                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Heartmare would check on me if I managed to come off. She however was not so nice to the girl who rode her for jumping. If she landed in the dirt my mare was gone, white tail flagging all the way back to the trailer. ( I never said she was perfect or that anyone else appreciated her!) Unfortunately for everyone on the way to the trailer she would stop and untie those she could, undo halters if she could and even unlatch gates in the barn. Standing in front of her waving your arms didn't stop her either, that got you charged at with ears pinned back and sometimes a kick as she passed. Then I trained her with a squeaky ball dog toy. Now this only works if someone is at the arena with you as we found out it annoyed the crap out of her to have the toy squeak every time the rider landed back in the saddle after the jump. Rider comes off, squeak the toy and over she would come to get the treats. It also worked if you put it over the PA system as she would go to the PA box and demand treats.
                                        I've also trained a few to whistles, and wear one on my neck. I come off and I usually have enough breath left in me to blow on that. Also comes in handy when you are hacking out alone and are hurt. Blow enough and usually someone will come find you.
                                        Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                        Originally Posted by alicen:
                                        What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Working...
                                        X