• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Source for nice leather halters with "fixed" chins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the suggestion of Tack Shack Ocala... they are super helpful! They can do all sorts of handmade leather items and nameplates. And if you ever get a chance to go to Ocala, visit their store! Its heaven!!

Comment

The answer to the snap in or out question is easily solved by just not having a snap. I hate them. The horror stories of in and out are just a couple of reasons why.

My prefer halter, for even every day, is full leather, english chin, NO throat latch closure, double buckle crown.
      Amanda

Comment

I'll be the odd one out with Quillen's. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the halter I ordered, to the point I contacted them to see if there had been a mistake. The response I got was pretty perfunctory and didn't really answer my question, leaving me to have to go look on their website and try to figure out if my halter was normal or not. I still don't really know the answer -- if it's normal, I think the design sucks. If it's not normal, customer service was underwhelming at best and it frankly wasn't worth the effort of working with them anymore. I just won't order from them again.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyVagrant View Post
          I'll be the odd one out with Quillen's. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the halter I ordered, to the point I contacted them to see if there had been a mistake. The response I got was pretty perfunctory and didn't really answer my question, leaving me to have to go look on their website and try to figure out if my halter was normal or not. I still don't really know the answer -- if it's normal, I think the design sucks. If it's not normal, customer service was underwhelming at best and it frankly wasn't worth the effort of working with them anymore. I just won't order from them again.
          Just curious--what was the issue? I've had perhaps a half dozen halters from them and I've never had anything about them that's made me question the design...

Comment

Second vote for Albright's or Danzig Brothers, love both.

There was a leather goods vendor at Rolex a few years ago ('07?) from whom I bought the BEST leather halter- nothing fancy, but durable and very nice-looking and, as I remember, incredibly affordable. Darned if I can remember the name though...
            Balanced Care Equine

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
              Just curious--what was the issue? I've had perhaps a half dozen halters from them and I've never had anything about them that's made me question the design...
              The leather on the throat latch looked backwards - rough edge facing out and rolled edge facing the cheek / throat I thought it looked horribly unfinished and unpolished. Not the end of the world but their responses made me feel like it was going to be a huge hassle to get them to understand my concern if it would even get fixed. So I saved myself the effort and cut my losses.

Comment

The leather on the throat latch looked backwards - rough edge facing out and rolled edge facing the cheek / throat I thought it looked horribly unfinished and unpolished. Not the end of the world but their responses made me feel like it was going to be a huge hassle to get them to understand my concern if it would even get fixed. So I saved myself the effort and cut my losses.
                Hmmm. Yeah, pretty sure that's standard for them. I never thought it looked poorly, though--perhaps yours wasn't finished properly? I will see if I can get some pics of the newish one I have in the barn.

Comment

I wish I had the money and need to justify a Walsh halter. I think they are quite nice, and you can get them English or buckle chin or throatlatch snap or no.
                  Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

• Original Poster

I will admit I am waaaay too lazy to reach up, flap things over the tops of heads and buckle crownpieces every time I want a halter on and off. Even though mine literally wear them for like 10 minutes a day, tops, I can handle the risk of clipped eyelids or foreign bodies attaching themselves to the sides of the halter.

I have officially added "new show halter for Bonnie" to the Rolex shopping list, and could be talked into replacing Boscoe's because it has the loathsome adjustable chin.
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Central Kentucky Tack and Leather--- cheaper than Quillan's. They are located at The Thoroughbred Center in Lexington, near to the Horse Park. They may have a booth at Rolex again this year as well.
                      The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
                      Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
                      Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Comment

Albrights has great halters and the best name plates.

Comment

Perri's Leather has great halters and they are wonderful to deal with. I just spoke to them yesterday and they will be at Rolex.

http://www.perrisleather.com/

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                            I will admit I am waaaay too lazy to reach up, flap things over the tops of heads and buckle crownpieces every time I want a halter on and off. Even though mine literally wear them for like 10 minutes a day, tops, I can handle the risk of clipped eyelids or foreign bodies attaching themselves to the sides of the halter.

I have officially added "new show halter for Bonnie" to the Rolex shopping list, and could be talked into replacing Boscoe's because it has the loathsome adjustable chin.
                            If the priority is value for the money, I'll chip in a vote for kyhorse.com. But frankly, all the companies mentioned so far make decent products.

If the adjustable chin is the only beef, consider having the halter repaired/revised to an English chin. That's probably cheaper than getting a new one. I'd get on the phone with Clever with Leather and/or Quillins and see if they could have it ready for you by Rolex if you mail it to them now.
                            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Originally posted by scubed View Post
                              Nicest halter I ever gotten is from Tack Shack Ocala. http://www.tackshackocala.com/ You can call and get them to make any color, etc. I quite like, but don't love Quillen's.
                              Another vote for Tack Shack of Ocala, and echoing the sentiment on Quillin... and maybe even "quite like" is an understatement. I decided to get new barn halters and did a boatload of research and comparison between Quillin, Albright, KYHorse, Tack Shack of Ocala, Walsh, and about 3 other places. I ended up ordering from Tack Shack... and then starting using my Tack Shack halters all the time, getting rid of my Walsh show-use only halters. Have never looked back.

Tack Shack will do just about anything you want - they custom-sized my mare's halter for no additional charge. And an English chin or adjustable chin, same price. Double-buckle crown is standard. No additional charge for a triple-stitched nose on their sale halter. If I remember correctly, Quillin charges more for that. Quillin charges more for all of these things. Quillin does have the better plates, though.

I would still like to see an Albright's in person, but even if I never do, I am totally okay with never buying another halter from anywhere but Tack Shack of Ocala.
                              If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
                              Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

R.E.FENNELLS ~ RED MILE TRACK ` LEXINGTON, KY.

R.E. FENNELLS ``` WILL MAKE UP ANYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU DON'T SEE IT ON THE WALLS...

THEY HAVE 'FIXED' CHIN LEATHER HALTERS ```
                                Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

You guys are killing me. Rory does NOT need or even deserve a new halter, he's still growing AND he occasionally still has brain farts and pulls back.

Ughhhh...

Want....
                                  COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

For every day ...

Originally posted by Pussy Cat View Post
                                    Perri's Leather has great halters and they are wonderful to deal with. I just spoke to them yesterday and they will be at Rolex.

http://www.perrisleather.com/
                                    I have a couple of Perri's from Jeffers that I use for turnout and I've been very happy. Some would say not show quality b/c the fittings aren't solid brass, but very workmanlike for daily use--you know, the ones you will risk tying up with .
                                    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

The Tack Shack of Ocala, and, you can get a FB coupon off your first purchase (Or, you used to be able to...)

I also like the Walsh 3/4" halters.

Both brands hold up to everyday wear & clean up beautifully. I don't turn mine out with halters on, but mine are often out 24/7 as they have paddocks off their stalls -- and the halter's can be found hanging on my fence post in the sun, snow, rain, wind, 0f - 100f...built to last, the leather feels a million times better than some of the standard Amish leather products which crack & are hard after one season.

Comment

just wanted to say that i had about the same experience and after reading your post went and looked - and yup my Quillin has the exact same issue as yours - the throat piece is backwards with the stitched part facing out - and every other halter i own has it facing in. And you are right - it just looks - wrong.....

now i am even sadder i spent 80 on this particular halter : (

Comment

DW- Albrights will be at Rolex and can do the nameplates right there. You know, instant gratification and all that. All of mine are Albrights and I they hold up great.

Nancy
                                          www.canterusa.org

Comment

Working...
                                          X