• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pour In Pads..Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pour In Pads..Thoughts

Doing a survey..How many of you routinely use Pour in Pads when shoing your horses??

Or do you just use them for competition.

Answer: it depends.
    I use a full pad on Rug in the summer when footing turns to concrete, or when I'm likely to be schooling on concrete or rocky footing someplace. I don't use the full synthetic pad in winter when likely to be in muck or soft footing that could create a suction and pull the shoe off. I have used the pour-ons, but I find that if a horse's sole is that tender, or needs that much protection, a full pad does a better job protecting it, allowing it to heal or recover, and then the pour-ins can be used a bit later on. A full pad is going to change a horse's movement a bit -- and balance -- but a good farrier can help with that, I think.
    With my particular horse I sacrifice movement to get protection. Now if he were a 5yo aiming for the FEI class at Dressage at Devon I'd have to use the pour ons! They are expensive for the amount of protection they provide I think. I know some people swear by them, and I do think they are a good tool in certain circumstances -- but most of the time I'm using a full cheapo pad to do the same thing. It goes without saying that the farrier has to know how to apply both types of course.
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Almost never. Depends on the horse. May cause too much sole pressure for some horses.

Comment

A horse here at the barn uses them. She has extremely thin soles. No idea if they are helping her soles thicken or anything, but she seems to do fine in them. She is just doing very low level dressage so no idea how they'd hold up to any fast work or rough terrain. I know she occasionaly loses one before she's due to be done, but the shoe stays put. She didn't want the problem of moisture staying up under the pad.

Comment

I've tried them with one of my prelim horses (flat-footed TB) but they always fell out as I did more jumping/galloping. My farrier tried doing it right before a competition but one didn't make it through XC. Perhaps it was just this particular horse but my farrier has opted just to go with rim pads which seem to help just as much so far!

Comment

I use the blue Vettec stuff on my gelding, but underneath leather pads. He had a tendency to get footsore after cross country, leading to stops on the drops. Haven't had a stop at a drop fence since starting to use it, so I guess he feels beter... (Or, I learned how to ride! )
            Pacific Coast Eventing
            Standing Yeager GF

Comment

My Prelim horse gets them in front like clockwork around late May every year, just when the ground starts getting hard. He's got decent enough feet, but as he gets older, the pads seem to keep him more comfortable: purely anecdotal, but he seems more willing to take a bigger step with them in than otherwise. I've never (knock wood) had one come out unless the horse loses the entire shoe. I do know some folks who have not had good luck with them, and I'm not sure I'd try them with an inexperienced farrier, but with someone who knows what they are doing, I think they can be great.

Comment

It isn't the same but my mare had problems with abscesses so we ended up putting leather pads and packing that smelled like venice turp. on her fronts. I stopped having abscess problems as soon as I put the pads on. It's much cheaper, and you can reset the leather 2 - 4 times. Plus it breathes easily. I had pads on her for over a year with no breaks and her feet looked great after I took them off. If it helps I can upload pictures.
                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Use them regularly on the front of our thin soled TB competing at the Intermediate level. Sometimes will put new ones in for a competition just to make sure he is comfortable throughout cross country. I have been told by people that they don't do much, but from our experience his little footsies get sore without them.

Comment

My mare would get them when the ground started getting hard in the summer. First year I had her I learned she would get footsore with conditioning work in the summer unless I put pour ins in and she did not have any issues on that score after I started using them
                    She had soles on the thinner side and they did seem to help with that too
                    They stayed in pretty well.
                    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

I use them on my thin-soled Prelim horse but I use a mesh 'pad' under the shoe and then pour in the material and that way no worries about losing them.

Jennifer
                      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I used them for my guy when he was rehabbing after he broke his coffin bone. He wore them through the season going prelim and for his CCI* long format, but after that I switched to leather pads and I noticed no difference other than cost. Leathers are cheap, last through a few resets and they breath. I found the pour ins lasted me about 3 1/2 weeks and fell out right before the farrier was due. After they came out, he was very sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdCharm View Post
                          I use them on my thin-soled Prelim horse but I use a mesh 'pad' under the shoe and then pour in the material and that way no worries about losing them.

Jennifer

That is what my farrier always did when I used them.

I have just used a leather pad more often though if I'm just looking for some added protection. I go with whatever my farrier thinks is best for a particular horse.
                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

My horse wears them year round in the front, we're doing Novice/moving up to Training. He injured his front right a few years ago, got it stuck in a stall door and cut most of the inside quarter off. Now that it's grown out, he's completely sound, but we use the pads to help with concussion, maintain good sole pressure (which works for him), and help prevent bruising. We may take them off for 1 or 2 shoeings in the winter, depending on how much work he's in. He's sound without them, they are more for prevention and protection.

He wears a Grand Circuit T shoe on the front, which creates a deeper area for the pour in to sit in, which probably helps w them staying in. And my farrier also puts a rubber mesh thing in between his hoof and the shoe for the pour in to grab on to. He has pulled the pour ins out when we've been cantering/jumping or when he's turned out and playing around, but as long as he has bell boots on they seem to stay in (he does get shod every 4-5 weeks though).

For cross country/horse shows, to help w traction, my farrier will use only half to 3/4 of the pour in and make it a little thinner near his toe, so he has a little more grip on the ground and that does make a difference in our being able to turn more easily on grass (especially if I have to go in the morning when there is still dew). Heel support is more important for my horse so it works for us, other people might not be able to do that.

Another factor in using pour ins over other types of pads, is that he also gets corns/bruises fairly easily and these pads aren't "attached" to the foot by any extra nails or rivets. The rubber mesh thing that holds it in just sits between his foot and his shoe and doesn't bother him.

I've also heard of people using leather pads, and putting magic cushion under them to help promote circulation and hoof growth.
                            Hope this helps!

Comment

After Belle dumped my, and ran aound the rock hard Waredaca course without me (2007), she was intermittently, but sometimes quite severly, lame in the left front.

We never did get a real diagnosis. MRI showed edema in the navicular bursa in BOTH front feet. But blocking the left front foot made her completely sound, so that couldn't be the real cause.

My farrier, based on some things he observed, suggested pour in pads, and my vet agreed. She came sound quite quickly after that. We stopped the pour in pads after about 6 months (when he ground was not hard).

But the a year or so later she was off on the same foot again (which was by then, of course, excluded from her insurance). We put her in pour in pads, and she was sound again. I asked if we should go without them in the winter, but the vet said to keep them in.

So far (fingers crossed) she has stayed sound with the pour in pads.

But I would only use them if they were clinically needed. I wouldn't use them as a routine procedure. None of my other horses use them.
                              Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

The pour in pads can be a lifesaver for certain horses.

Ben wore them for almost all of his competition years -- and so did Buzz.

Application will make all the difference for them staying in. The mesh makes a big difference, and so does the foot being clean and dry when the pour in goes in.

The reason my farrier preferred them for a horse that needed the cushioning was two fold -- not only did it transfer the sole pressure from the ground, encouraging the sole to thicken, which he said he didn't see with other types of pads, but also leather or rubber pads which were nailed on gave one more layer between the foot and the shoe to create friction where the nails passed through, and he believed they led to loose shoes and a higher incidence of shoe loss.

Ben did great in them until we pulled his shoes and turned him out to try to take him barefoot -- he lost so much sole depth from simply walking barefoot in the abrasive sandy areas of his paddock that when we had to go back to some kind of protection for his feet to keep the coffin bone from exposure, he could no longer tolerate the pressure of the pour ins, so my farrier had to invent a special shoe for him.

The pour ins did NOT work well for one of my horses that I did some endurance with. Great protection against slightly rocky trails, but they would get eaten up doing even limited distance.

YMMV, of course, but I love the Vettec stuff!
                                I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
                                Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Comment

Originally posted by Bensmom View Post
                                  The reason my farrier preferred them for a horse that needed the cushioning was two fold -- not only did it transfer the sole pressure from the ground, encouraging the sole to thicken, which he said he didn't see with other types of pads, but also leather or rubber pads which were nailed on gave one more layer between the foot and the shoe to create friction where the nails passed through, and he believed they led to loose shoes and a higher incidence of shoe loss.

Agreed but the leather also reduces some of the shock from the metal shoe stricking the hard ground. So for some horses...this cushion is as important and protecting the sole.
                                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Working...
                                  X