• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Interesting - SMBs photoshopped onto McKinlaigh in Dover catalog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the other hand...

Photoshop is the only way you'd get SMBs onto my horses' legs.

Truth in advertising, perhaps?

Comment

What I don't get is that SMBs have never been marketed at eventers. It's pretty commonly understood that eventers don't use SMBs, and they don't market their boots to eventers for cross country (that I am aware of anyway). So it was a glaring red flag when I saw the ad. It would be like Eskadron photoshopping some of their open front boots on an event horse, just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today, this about covered it. I have to agree with JER!!! LOL.
        May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
        www.mmceventing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sonoma City View Post
          What I don't get is that SMBs have never been marketed at eventers. It's pretty commonly understood that eventers don't use SMBs, and they don't market their boots to eventers for cross country (that I am aware of anyway). So it was a glaring red flag when I saw the ad. It would be like Eskadron photoshopping some of their open front boots on an event horse, just doesn't make sense.
          Just chiming in (not an eventer... at least not anymore) but I gotta agree with you there. They're more marketed towards western horses, at least in my experience. If we're doing light turnout during recovery from a leg injury at my barn, we'll put them on while they're out for protection, so I guess they're good for that too. They just trap way too much heat and water to be good for XC or anything like that if you ask me.
          Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by FLeventer View Post
            In the picture I see the bell boots, but I also see the porters and not smbs. Is it in the dover picture that she is in the smbs?

I have not gotten the new dover yet so cannot check.
            Thats what I see as well. I see photo shopped blue bell boots, and it looks like they toned up the blue on the leg protection, but I do NOT see SMBs on the horses leg in the "doctored" photo, looks like porters and wraps still to me.

You can even see the grey of the porter boot in the front of the leg, and the porter boot wrapping around. If they were trying to make them look like SMBs wouldn't they have color the WHOLE boot blue?

Not trying to defend them I HATE SMBs... so hot, collect crap in them, thick.. ugg.

OK went and checked my Dover catalog, you are right! They photo shopped the boots on... landing into a water jump no less, the LAST place you would want some SMBs on your horse!
            Last edited by Appsolute; Mar. 15, 2012, 12:14 PM.
            APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I wouldn't say never - PC is a sponsor at at least one HT that I know of, with banners on XC fences and everything. I would call that marketing toward eventers :P

I also really have no use for the boots... between heat and allergic reactions I have seen with the materials. I do like the bell boots though and am happy to use them regularly.
              “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Comment

Originally posted by vanraf View Post
                I wouldn't say never - PC is a sponsor at at least one HT that I know of, with banners on XC fences and everything. I would call that marketing toward eventers :P

I also really have no use for the boots... between heat and allergic reactions I have seen with the materials. I do like the bell boots though and am happy to use them regularly.
                Professional Choice makes a lot of products that are not SMBs which are fine for eventing. But I should clarify that I meant that they do not market SMBs for use on the cross country phase of eventing

Comment

Professional Choice makes a lot of products that are not SMBs which are fine for eventing. But I should clarify that I meant that they do not market SMBs for use on the cross country phase of eventing
                  Ah! I missed that point thanks for clarifying
                  “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Comment

Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                    Thats what I see as well. I see photo shopped blue bell boots, and it looks like they toned up the blue on the leg protection, but I do NOT see SMBs on the horses leg in the "doctored" photo, looks like porters and wraps still to me.

You can even see the grey of the porter boot in the front of the leg, and the porter boot wrapping around. If they were trying to make them look like SMBs wouldn't they have color the WHOLE boot blue?

Not trying to defend them I HATE SMBs... so hot, collect crap in them, thick.. ugg.
                    I have to agree with this. It looks like porters on the horse with wraps and bell boots, not SMBs.
                    Rhode Islands are red;
                    North Hollands are blue.
                    Sorry my thoroughbreds
                    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

The photo most of us are talking about is on page 234 of the most recent Dover catalog, with Anne Kursinski and a very happy Lorenzo on the cover. The photo-shopped boots are DEFINITELY SMBs and not Porters with just SMB bellboots.

Comment

Just looked again at pic. They are indeed porters covered with blue saratogas, or at least photoshoped blue. They are made to look like SMB's, with the SMB logo on them, but they are in fact, NOT SMB's. Look under a magnifier, and you can see the details better. Pretty fancy doctoring. They colored them to look like them, added the logo in the right place, and the misinformed, or not paying attention types, would just glance and see that they look like SMB's. WOW.
                        May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                        www.mmceventing.com

Comment

I personally don't have a problem with it. Sponsors support riders.... so what if they want to play with a bit of photoshop?

I mean really, it's not like every athlete/actor/public figure actually uses the products they are compensated to endorse. Who cares? She's getting the support to help finance her competition goals, and they're getting to use her name to sell their products. Win/win right?

I see lots of SMB's at the lowest levels... no harm in that. We all know that riders at the UL's aren't using SMB's, and those that are inexperienced enough to "buy" into the advertising are probably at a low level anyways.

Whatever funnels more money into the sport, I say go ahead. It's not like they created an image that was dangerous to others.
                          A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

For the sake of housekeeping:

Two different pics are refrenced here. The one linked in the first post with just the bell boots photoshopped is not the same one as is in the dover catalog which is definitely a full set of SMB photoshopped on to the photo.
                            Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
                            Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
                            www.phoenixsporthorses.com
                            Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by WW_Queen View Post
                              I personally don't have a problem with it. Sponsors support riders.... so what if they want to play with a bit of photoshop?

I mean really, it's not like every athlete/actor/public figure actually uses the products they are compensated to endorse. Who cares? She's getting the support to help finance her competition goals, and they're getting to use her name to sell their products. Win/win right?

I see lots of SMB's at the lowest levels... no harm in that. We all know that riders at the UL's aren't using SMB's, and those that are inexperienced enough to "buy" into the advertising are probably at a low level anyways.

Whatever funnels more money into the sport, I say go ahead. It's not like they created an image that was dangerous to others.
                              Well, why not take a picture of Little Suzy eventing at novice and photoshop Olympic rings on her pinney, eh? Who would it hurt?

Or shoot, maybe put her on one of her other advanced horses and just photoshop McKinleigh's head on it, maybe some rings on the pinney. Good to go.

Saying that she used those boots on her horse for her silver medal performance is 1000 words worth of lie.
                              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                                On the other hand...

Photoshop is the only way you'd get SMBs onto my horses' legs.

Truth in advertising, perhaps?

Mine, too.
                                Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                                  Saying that she used those boots on her horse for her silver medal performance is 1000 words worth of lie.
                                  Poltroon, I am not arguing with you, I just want to point something out to you and anyone else who is irritated (or more) by this.

I cannot find anywhere the PC 'said' that she was using the SMBs while riding in the Olympics xc. I could be wrong, but regardless, this is a good opportunity to look at advertising.

Try looking at EVERY ad you have a minute to analyze and rather than hearing the claims that the advertiser is trying to get you to accept, list exactly, verbatim, what they are actually saying.

Advertisers, especially those working for the big bucks companies, have defined the art of walking the line between truth and lie. If they can get you to make the leap in your mind that gets you believing what they want, without actually saying it - there is no liability.

I irritate the heck out of people by pointing out what an advertiser actually said, vs what they inferred, implied or led you to believe.

I have worked in sales and I work in marketing and while I try to be more honest than this - PC would tell you they are being perfectly honest.
                                  I don't pay much attention to sales pitches or marketing when I am shopping (or watching TV).
                                  Nina's Story
                                  Epona Comm on FB

Comment

Good to know that photo in the Dover catalog was a photoshop- I was actually like "really? You used SMBs at the Olympics?" Perplexion solved! I agree that it is cheesy, and misleading advertising.

I bought a set of SMBs when they 1st came out, I had an older mare w/ arthritic issues that I was eventing, because they were advertised as concussion absorbing, or something along those lines. Anyhoo, I was disappointed! They trapped dirt, were hot, held water AND didn't seem to reduce much (if any) concussion I think I only used them once or twice. On the plus side, they have been sitting in a tack truck for 20 yrs and look as good as new
                                    Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Originally posted by BarbB View Post
                                      Poltroon, I am not arguing with you, I just want to point something out to you and anyone else who is irritated (or more) by this.

I cannot find anywhere the PC 'said' that she was using the SMBs while riding in the Olympics xc. I could be wrong, but regardless, this is a good opportunity to look at advertising.

Try looking at EVERY ad you have a minute to analyze and rather than hearing the claims that the advertiser is trying to get you to accept, list exactly, verbatim, what they are actually saying.

Advertisers, especially those working for the big bucks companies, have defined the art of walking the line between truth and lie. If they can get you to make the leap in your mind that gets you believing what they want, without actually saying it - there is no liability.

I irritate the heck out of people by pointing out what an advertiser actually said, vs what they inferred, implied or led you to believe.

I have worked in sales and I work in marketing and while I try to be more honest than this - PC would tell you they are being perfectly honest.
                                      I don't pay much attention to sales pitches or marketing when I am shopping (or watching TV).
                                      [Bold is mine]

What do you think PC is trying to say by choosing this particular picture out ALL the other pictures available of McKinlaigh and GM??? I think PC doesn't need to use words to saying what they hope people will "infer"... choosing this particular picture says it all.
                                      You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Comment

The main thing that I would be worried about from this ad is when a bunch of those that are coming to this sport are riding around risking injury with waterlogged steaming hot boots because, "well I bought them when I saw an eventer using them in the Dover catalogue!"

It is just misleading for those that do not know better.
                                        I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

Porter Boots

Those are Porter Boots with PC bell boots only.

No SMBs in that picture

Comment

Working...
                                          X