• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Military Competitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Competitor

There have been posts before asking about military competitors, so here is my blog post with lots of pictures from the Las Cruces Horse Trials last weekend. My mare and I are currently representing the Air Force for eventing, since I am active duty Air Force. The wear of the AF Service coat is written into the dress and appearance standards as acceptable to wear for nationally recognized equestrian competitions. The Air Force has also bought my girl a halter that says "U.S. Air Horse" on the cheek with her name on the nose, saddle pads, helmet covers, and gives me Permissive TDY to show for eventing since it is an Olympic Sport.

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.co...ials-2012.html
    www.jumping-percheron.blogspot.com

I'm not an eventer but I do ride drafts occasionally. Love your blog and great job with everything you've done with Klein.
    The Frugal Foxhunter

Comment

OK, this is the stickler in me coming out. The AFI 36-2903 does not authorize part of the uniform to be worn, neither does it have an authorized equestrian service dress. This has to be authorized through at least your Squadron Commander, if not the Group or Wing (depending on the installation and your superiors).

Also, the Air Force does not authorize TDY's or gear. Your commander authorizes these funds. I sincerely hope our military budget is not being spent on this - I would prefer it spent on the training that is needed but not in the budget. Why aren't you using your leave time for shows?

Other than that, kudos to you and cheers to your squadron for being so understanding.

Comment

I have a client who is a Vietnam vet and is interested in showing in dressage. We ran thru the test and he did the military salute and it got me wondering.....

What is required of a honoralby discharged vet to wear?

Can he wear a uniform if he wanted to?
        "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
        http://atoxcequestrian.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/127749947563045/

Comment

Ajierene Think you might be mistaken.
          From the regulation you cited of July 2011:

9.10. Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration.The Equestrian CompetitionService Dress Configuration is authorized for wear during competitions, to include Dressage andJump. The uniform is authorized for formal competitions, such as those sponsored within thegovernance of the United States Equestrian Federation. The Equestrian Competition ServiceDress Configuration wear is only permitted in competitions where the governing organizationspecifically authorizes military uniform wear.9.10.1. Coat. The Service Dress coat is used in full configuration as outlined in chapter 4,with no changes. For wear and description see applicableparagraphs 4.9 through 4.9.2.3.2 (males) and

4.10 through

4.10.1.3.6(females). 9.10.1.1. Accoutrements.9.10.1.1.1. All accessories and medals should be like-new and clean. Any awardspresented (medals or ribbons of any kind) may be worn for the duration of the awardceremony, and worn during the time of the competition.9.10.2. Pants. Pants are white riding breeches. Jodhpurs are not authorized with uniformconfiguration. No design or ornamentation authorized on pants.9.10.3. Belt. The belt must not show under Service Dress.
          124 AFI 36-2903 18 JULY 20119.10.4. Footwear. Boots are tall, over the calf riding black leather boots with minimalvisible stitching, and no metal or decorative ornamentation. Low heel, not to exceed 2inches. Spurs, should be silver and non-ornamental.9.10.5. Headgear. The headgear will be a plain black or dark blue safety helmet whilecompeting.9.10.6. Gloves. Black or dark blue, solid color gloves made of any material are authorized.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ajierene,
            Excuse me??? The stickler in you???? You better check your facts. You obviously have absolutely NO clue what you are talking about. Why don't you go take a look for yourself then? On page 123 you will find:

"9.10. Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration. The Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration is authorized for wear during competitions, to include Dressage and Jump. The uniform is authorized for formal competitions, such as those sponsored within the governance of the United States Equestrian Federation. The Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration wear is only permitted in competitions where the governing organization specifically authorizes military uniform wear.
            9.10.1. Coat. The Service Dress coat is used in full configuration as outlined in chapter 4, with no changes. For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 4.9 through 4.9.2.3.2 (males) and 4.10 through 4.10.1.3.6 (females).
            9.10.1.1. Accoutrements.
            9.10.1.1.1. All accessories and medals should be like-new and clean. Any awards presented (medals or ribbons of any kind) may be worn for the duration of the award ceremony, and worn during the time of the competition.
            9.10.2. Pants. Pants are white riding breeches. Jodhpurs are not authorized with uniform configuration. No design or ornamentation authorized on pants.
            9.10.3. Belt. The belt must not show under Service Dress.
            124 AFI 36-2903 18 JULY 2011
            9.10.4. Footwear. Boots are tall, over the calf riding black leather boots with minimal visible stitching, and no metal or decorative ornamentation. Low heel, not to exceed 2 inches. Spurs, should be silver and non-ornamental.
            9.10.5. Headgear. The headgear will be a plain black or dark blue safety helmet while competing.
            9.10.6. Gloves. Black or dark blue, solid color gloves made of any material are authorized."

Oh and as far as PERMISSIVE TDYs that would be under AFI 36-3003 TABLE 7 RULE 30.

The Air Force doesn't authorize TDY's? I speak directly with the Chief of Sports of the Air Force and HE is the one that approves my Permissive and then my Commander signs my 988.

Why am I not using leave time for shows? Because the Air Force will give you permissive TDY for sports that are Olympic Sports. Again, I deal directly with the CHIEF OF AIR FORCE SPORTS, yes the man himself that oversees everything sports related for the entire Air Force.

You know what they also authorized me a paid permissive to LONDON to compete in an international military only showjumping competition. You can find the post about that trip here:

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.co...ping-show.html

You, are flat out wrong. Again check your facts before you go blasting false information.

Ctab, I'm not too sure how the rules go for retirees.

Comment

• Original Poster

I actually submitted a change to the AFI that will be introduced with the next military uniform board meeting for the Air Force. They have authorized us to wear a white show shirt with white stock tie with a conservative silver stock pin instead of our blues shirt and blues tie tab. That authorization came directly from Ruth Ewalt who is in charge of uniform board related changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ctab View Post
                I have a client who is a Vietnam vet and is interested in showing in dressage. We ran thru the test and he did the military salute and it got me wondering.....

What is required of a honoralby discharged vet to wear?

Can he wear a uniform if he wanted to?
                Retired or prior service are authorized to wear their entire uniform with the insignia of the highest rank held honorably. That is to say all the regulations state the entire uniform, not parts. The army is the only branch I have ever found with a specific equestrian uniform and it is not in current regulations.

However, special permission can be given. For someone currently serving, they would go through their superiors. For someone prior service, I would suggest asking guidance from a local post, base, reserve station or other such entity that can help. Often the Public Relations department/squadron/office is the best to go to.

More leeway and understanding is given to veterans and retired military than those actively serving.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Ajierene View Post
                  The army is the only branch I have ever found with a specific equestrian uniform and it is not in current regulations.

For someone currently serving, they would go through their superiors.
                  Ajierene, did you not just read the information from the CURRENT Air Force AFI that both I and SLR posted? So that means the Army is NOT the only branch with an equestrian specific uniform. For someone currently serving, you do NOT have to go through your superiors. You just know how to read an AFI, which apparently, you, do not.

Comment

Apparently we do not have an outdated AFI, which is surprising considering the stickler my supervisor is. I had looked into this before.

I'm not big on 'permissive TDY's', considering the training that needs to be accomplished and scope of the budget. Technically, your commander still has to authorizes all permissive TDY's (all TDY's - as in he has to sign off whether it is training or PCS or what have you), but if you talked to the Chief of Sports for the Air Force, he will likely not go against that.

(And I cannot load any AFI's right now....apparently my internet is against me!)

That prior post, I had actually written, walked away from the computer and came back to realize I had not posted it - so I had not read the posts quoting AFI 36-2903.

Comment

• Original Poster

You don't have an outdated AFI? What would that matter? What matters is the current AFI, that contains the Equestrian Competition Uniform.

Yes, very good, we all know the CC has to sign the 988 for stuff like that. It actually has to be a paper 988, you can't even submit it electronically. You don't know my unit and you have no idea what we are doing, or what our mission is. So if the CC sees fit that they can let me go for stuff like this then yay for me. It's not like they're letting people go on PTDYs, whether it's me going to horse trials or a group of guys for the base softball team, in the middle of an ORE.

You're not big on PTDYs? It's called morale. There's a reason PTDY exists for sports programs. This base is big on it because you know what we had here last year? The highest rate of suicide in the Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
                        You don't have an outdated AFI? What would that matter? What matters is the current AFI, that contains the Equestrian Competition Uniform.
                        HA! I meant, we don't have an UPdated AFI - as in our AFI is out of date.

Well, it is hard to be all up on PTDY's when I'm not even sure if I can go to the training I need to do my job. Your pool of TDY money and mine do come out of different pockets, but still....trying to get training to do my job so when I deploy I am all spun up and I still don't have orders because we don't know if we have money...doesn't give me all warm and fuzzies, especially considering 30 days of leave per year - but that is off topic.

Comment

• Original Poster

HA! I meant, we don't have an UPdated AFI - as in our AFI is out of date.
                          I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out that you wrote it wrong. Geez, being that you are SUUUUCH a stickler, I'd think you would have written it properly the first time. Attention to detail, see that is why I know my AFI's and how a PTDY works. Or you could just take initiative and check e-pubs first.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
                            I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out that you wrote it wrong. Geez, being that you are SUUUUCH a stickler, I'd think you would have written it properly the first time. Attention to detail, see that is why I know my AFI's and how a PTDY works. Or you could just take initiative and check e-pubs first.
                            You are absolutely correct, attention to detail. That's what I get for posting while doing other things.

To check epubs, I have to get my CAC reader out, along with my CAC. That may not even work, my computer does not like opening online PDF's all the time and I just get a blank screen.

Comment

• Original Poster

Uhh since when do you need your CAC to get on E-Pubs?? Or you can just Google the AFI's. Either way, no CAC needed.

And it's not about being "up" on PTDYs it's about knowing your AFI's so you know what you can and cannot do in the Air Force, or where you can and cannot go, etc...

It's not my fault you might have more training before you go out the door. That doesn't mean you just blast someone else that might have more opportunities and spout off incorrect information. Just because YOU don't know doesn't mean it's not out there.

Comment

"Up" as in support of, not "Up" as in educated on. That is probably a local euphemism.

The rest is just a discussion on my computer and it's issues - which is way far more off topic.

Comment

• Original Poster

Obviously part of it was up as in not educated on, because you obviously weren't aware of Table 7, Rule 30.

Bottom line is, then I'm done for the night, all I'm saying is just don't assume that everyone besides you must have joined the Air Force yesterday.

Comment

THANKS!!

Retired or prior service are authorized to wear their entire uniform with the insignia of the highest rank held honorably. That is to say all the regulations state the entire uniform, not parts. The army is the only branch I have ever found with a specific equestrian uniform and it is not in current regulations.

However, special permission can be given. For someone currently serving, they would go through their superiors. For someone prior service, I would suggest asking guidance from a local post, base, reserve station or other such entity that can help. Often the Public Relations department/squadron/office is the best to go to.

More leeway and understanding is given to veterans and retired military than those actively serving.

Thank you!
                                    I will pass this on!
                                    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
                                    http://atoxcequestrian.com/
                                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/127749947563045/

Comment

The Marine Corp has had a mounted color guard for years. They ride in a Marine Corp riding uniform.

They used to ride Palomino horses and were or so spectacular, to a little kid like me!

Comment

By the way, Big Congratulations to the Jumping Percheron for taking FIRST PLACE at Las Cruces! Way to go!
                                        --Becky in TX
                                        Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                                        She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Working...
                                        X