• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why/why not use a skull cap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why/why not use a skull cap?

I'm going thru my options for a new helmet, and was wondering people's opinions on skull caps (I've always worn one for schooling and XC, but after hearing a comment about lawsuits involving non-brimmed helmets, I'm thinking of going brimmed).

So... If you currently wear one, why do you prefer it?

Or if you don't wear one, is there a reason why not?

I use one simply because it fits me really really well. The best of all my helmets. The others FIT, but not as well as the skull cap. I defer to the ventilated schooling helmet when it's hot and the hunt-style (but certified of course) one for dressage and SJ but everywhere else it's the skullcap.

Brims vs. no brims--bah. Until I see compelling evidence that one is clearly superior safety-wise in a wide range of scenarios, it's a tempest in a teacup IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

What law suits have there been involving non-brimmed helmets? I have heard of basal skull fractures occuring (20-30 years ago) with brimmed helmets (rider landing face first and the rigid brim pushed the helmet back), but that was early on in approved helmets when the designs were still a work in progress..and why a lot of people went with skull caps. Brims are no longer rigid and most nowadays are much smaller...because of those accidents.

I just LIKE having a skull cap. But I have several helmets in different varieties, so may not be the best to talk to
      Amanda

Comment

I have a CO skull cap and I have a CO Jr8 and I love both. I have worn both in dressage, stadium and x-country. I really like that way the both fit me, I find both very confortable. I guess for looks I like the Jr8 for dressage and stadium and I like the skull cap for x-country.
        No Worries!

Comment

I prefer a skull cap. especailly for XC.
          they just feel more protective to me.

+ brimmed helmets sometimes block vision on XC. Hence the reason they are unbrimmed and the brims on the covers usually stick up a little bit.
          http://kaboomeventing.com/
          http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
          Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I have a CO Skull Cap for XC and a GPA for Dressage and SJ.

I also prefer the skull on xc due to the vision issue. My GPA doesn't cut a lot in to my view, but I do notice it.
            Eventing at Midnight Blog

Rodan and Fields, Ask Me About it
            A Measure of Grace Blog

Comment

Tipperary Sportage is what I wear except for stadium/dressage.
              A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

Well I'm not an eventer myself, but do use a skull cap because of my racetrack career. I wasn't even looking for a new helmet when I tried this one on, and it was so perfect and comfortable, I bought it and retired my old one that day. It was a $300 helmet about a dozen years ago. I have a black cover for it (which is now faded and not fancy). I use it for everything, but then, I am not the fashion police, and do not care what others think. It is a Florida sourced helmet, rated for racing speeds, for jockeys. I don't know how it stacks up against the "GPA's" and other "stylish", "popular" or "rated" show or sport helmets. But I suspect it is OK. The black cover has a brim on it, fully flexable. Custom made at the track. They can make anything you want in terms of colours.

Pics on my website.
                www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

I have two skull caps and they are my fave helmets. That being said, I have an ovation schooler that is the most comfortable helmet, but that is not the point of this topic.

I just like the way that my Skull caps fit. I have the J3 and the Pro II, which are supposed to fit different, but they both fit me fine with no headaches or lose gaps against the head.

The one thing that I hate about them is that they are super hot, even my pro II with vents.

I would not mind riding in a fixed brim for XC, but I just have always been taught that it is safer to ride in a flex brim for visibility and for preventing neck injuries. I don't have to because I have two skull caps so I guess that I wont.

I also have a fancy CO hampton, GPA, and CO Ayr8 so really I think I have too many for one head.
                  I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

I have a J3 that I only did XC in...but this past year when the temp spiked over 100(!) I rode in my Tipperary helmet. I recently received the Pro II for Christmas, but I'm not sure if that helmet will keep me cool during XC. Love the fit of the Pro II but I also love the fit of my Tipperary. I usually school in the T but also have a CO Show Jumper XP for dressage.
                    Find something that comfortably fits your head.
                    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.”

Comment

I don't have one. (1) I think they look weird and they are expensive (2) I don't understand the point of a brim on the cover if it's flipped up (3) I love my Tipp Sportage and it's cheaper and my head doesn't get as hot.

So that's why I don't have one.
                      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I have a J3 in addition to my CO Wellington Pro. TBH, I bought it when I first got into eventing because I thought they looked cool and it seemed like all the "real" eventers had them! I tend to wear it when I don't feel like putting my hair up in a hairnet. I prefer to go XC in my Wellington Pro because I don't like how the sun gets in my eyes without the brim.
                        "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

I've had greenies hit me in the face with their neck on 2 different occasions (that I can specifically think of... *sigh*)

One time was breaking a baby and i got a face full of neck as i was getting on wearing a Troxel (Legacy, I think)schooling helmet with plastic brim.

A different time, quite a few years later, big OTTB spooked and thew himself up a bit, bopping me, but i was wearing my skull with a cover (soft plastic/flexible brim).

The occasion wearing the Troxel knocked me out and put me in the hospital for 2 days with a bad concussion.

The occasion with the OTTB had me thinking "wow, I'm glad there was some flex room there... the extra inch or two seemed helpful"

Just my experience... but now that my skull cap sadly needs replaced, I'll be replacing it with another skull cap instead of one of the stunning AYR8's that I've been lusting after...
                          “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Comment

Originally posted by NancyM View Post
                            Well I'm not an eventer myself, but do use a skull cap because of my racetrack career. I wasn't even looking for a new helmet when I tried this one on, and it was so perfect and comfortable, I bought it and retired my old one that day. It was a $300 helmet about a dozen years ago. I have a black cover for it (which is now faded and not fancy). I use it for everything, but then, I am not the fashion police, and do not care what others think. It is a Florida sourced helmet, rated for racing speeds, for jockeys. I don't know how it stacks up against the "GPA's" and other "stylish", "popular" or "rated" show or sport helmets. But I suspect it is OK. The black cover has a brim on it, fully flexable. Custom made at the track. They can make anything you want in terms of colours.

Pics on my website.
                            Are you saying your helmet is 12 years old? YOu should definitely get a new one, the foam/Styrofoam breaks down over time. You should get a new helmet every 5 years.

Comment

I know for me, as a jumper convert, I was riding in my GPA and thought I was totally fine. Took a great fall and had to retire the helmet (a literal vertical dive into the ground, crown first). I then got a skullcap after that just because I was an eventer now and wanted to look the part. Suddenly, I had a MUCH easier time keeping my body back on down banks. Apparently, the GPA was heavy enough to really pendulum the rest of my body forward at every drop.
                              Pacific Coast Eventing
                              Standing Yeager GF

Comment

It is a Florida sourced helmet, rated for racing speeds, for jockeys.
                                As far as I am aware, ASTM certified is ASTM certified, and there is no higher standard for jockeys, or faster speeds. So I wouldn't delude myself necessarily that a helmet specifically meant for jockeys is "better".

And although the skeptical part of me believes that the "replace your helmet every 5 years" thing is mostly a ploy to make people buy more helmets, I do replace mine a little more often than once every 12 years.
                                Click here before you buy.

Comment

Once you get the brim of a helmet caught on a branch whilst traveling at speed, you'll never wear a fixed brim again. It hasn't happened to me bc I won't wear one but I did have my silk helmet cover pulled off by a low hanger on an xc course (Bromont) once and it gave me a horrid whiplash. If that had been a brimmed helmet my neck might have broken.
                                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post

And although the skeptical part of me believes that the "replace your helmet every 5 years" thing is mostly a ploy to make people buy more helmets, I do replace mine a little more often than once every 12 years.
                                    I seem to have to replace mine at least every 5 years because I can't go that long without hitting the ground!
                                    "Je suis Pony Owner."

Comment

When I had to replace my Tipperary after landing on it, I bought a Pro II simply because it was the closest fit to my AYR8 show helmet that fits better than anything else I've worn, but is significantly less expensive to fall off in than the AYR8
                                      "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Hey guys, id be interested in these helmets. Can you guys post a link to the ones you like, so i can check them out?

Comment

Working...
                                        X