• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Buck Davidson's Between Rounds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck Davidson's Between Rounds

In the Horses in Sport issue of COTH. Any thoughts? I agree with his premise that longer term commitments to riders would be preferable to what we have now. He seems puzzled at the current state of our International program.

And since when did Aberjack become an Oldenburg? Chronicle ought to be ashamed of publishing that.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
    In the Horses in Sport issue of COTH. Any thoughts? I agree with his premise that longer term commitments to riders would be preferable to what we have now. He seems puzzled at the current state of our International program.

And since when did Aberjack become an Oldenburg? Chronicle ought to be ashamed of publishing that.
    Ashamed? Really? He's not a TB (only 7/8th) and he is approved for breeding with the Oldenburg book. So while NZ Sport Horse is probably factually correct, I think its a bit much to say they should be "ashamed" of themselves.

I look forward to reading the piece, it doesn't seem to be online yet. There definitely does seem to be a short-term mindset in the US, which I find a bit puzzling. Minds should already be turning to 2014 and 2016.

Comment

Backstage,

7/8's is only 1/8th away from being a full TB.

Having TB's registered in other (ie: Oldendburg) books is done all of the time. It still does not make Aberjack any less TB.

I believe that Sea Accounts is another example of a TB, who has been approved as a warmblood sire.

When looking for a sport horse, most upper level event riders look for TB's in the lineage.

I do not believe that the Chronicle should be ashamed, but maybe include the fact that Aberjack IS mostly TB. Don't ya think?
      When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by Auburn View Post
        Backstage,

7/8's is only 1/8th away from being a full TB.

Having TB's registered in other (ie: Oldendburg) books is done all of the time. It still does not make Aberjack any less TB.

I believe that Sea Accounts is another example of a TB, who has been approved as a warmblood sire.

When looking for a sport horse, most upper level event riders look for TB's in the lineage.

I do not believe that the Chronicle should be ashamed, but maybe include the fact that Aberjack IS mostly TB. Don't ya think?
        I can't access the article, so I don't know the context. My point was simply that they can't list him as TB because he ISN'T a TB. He is 7/8th TB. I believe he is a registered New Zealand Sport Horse so that would have been correct reference. Whether it was then noted that he was primarily TB or not would be up to the author/editor. It would have been nice if they had also correctly identified him as being approved Oldenburg to avoid any confusion.

I really just took exception to the "ashamed" comment. I think its helpful to keep these sorts of thing in context!

Comment

Talk to the Jockey Club. They're the one's that make the rules about what is or is not a TB. If they have Aberjack in their studbooks, then you can be mad.

They are often their own worst enemy. But no one gets to have it both ways...

SCFarm
          The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Comment

Just wanted to chime in here and let you all know that the pedigree information provided in the Eventing Statistical Review is provided to the Chronicle by the U.S. Eventing Association, and is the breeding information input by those who register individual horses. The Chronicle does not generate the information.

On page 60, he's identified as an Oldenburg in the pedigree info for Absolute Liberty, and on page 70, he's identified as a Thoroughbred in the pedigree info for Who's A Star.

Thanks! Molly Sorge

Comment

http://www.weatherbys.co.uk/sites/de...20Register.pdf

Comment

• Original Poster

Absolute Liberty's FEI passport has her as a TB. So the USEA must have entered some wrong information somewhere.
                http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/...484A0AEEBCBB23

Originally posted by Molly Sorge View Post
                Just wanted to chime in here and let you all know that the pedigree information provided in the Eventing Statistical Review is provided to the Chronicle by the U.S. Eventing Association, and is the breeding information input by those who register individual horses. The Chronicle does not generate the information.

On page 60, he's identified as an Oldenburg in the pedigree info for Absolute Liberty, and on page 70, he's identified as a Thoroughbred in the pedigree info for Who's A Star.

Thanks! Molly Sorge

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                  Absolute Liberty's FEI passport has her as a TB. So the USEA must have entered some wrong information somewhere.
                  http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/...484A0AEEBCBB23
                  Well, the FEI passport is ALSO wrong since she isn't a TB. 100% + 87.5% does not equal 100%.

And the USEA, to the best of my knowledge, relies on the information provided to it.

Comment

• Original Poster

For some unknown reason I believe that the USEF/FEI also relies on owner/rider information when they are issuing passports. That's why I assumed a USEA error rather than an owner/rider providing different information to different groups.

And it seems to be very common in the eventing world in Ireland, the UK and Down Under to call a very high Blood percentage horse a TB, even if it isn't pure. The dam is pure registered TB--Briartic x Pebble Beach. That means that Absolute Liberty is 15/16ths or more TB.

Comment

well, until the JC pulls its proverbial head out...TB sporthorse breeders have very limited options for registering. In this case, since Aberjack is licensed by the GOV and the mare was approved by the GOV, the resulting foal was registerable as an Oldenburg and was even though, as pointed out, AL is 15/16s TB.

And GOV gets the bragging rights!
                      www.debracysporthorses.com
                      Home of Sea Accounts xx
                      AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                      "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

• Original Poster

It's Aberjack that is said to be an OLD. He isn't now, and never was. He may have been licensed to breed by Oldenburg, but that doesn't make him an Oldenburger. Is Absolute Liberty even registered?

I'm trying to trace Aberjack's pedigree and having the devil's own time. I like to use Official sources, and while Aberlou has two get in the New Zealand racing studbook, and is listed himself, they have absolutely no pedigree information for him in their online studbook. No sire and no dam listed. It's a bit disturbing. His purported dam also isn't listed on the New Zealand site.

Comment

I believe that Aberjack is 31/32nd TB and 1/32nd arab. So his get out of a TB dam would be 1/64th arab and 63/64ths TB. Not a jockey club TB, though.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/aberjack

(If you look at this pedigree, the only unknown is the dam of "Cherry." Cherry is by the TB sire Hunting Song out of an unknown dam. So going back five generations, of the 16 ancestors one is unknown and the other 15 are Jockey Club TBs. My understanding from reading up on him a few years back is that there was arab in the mix on his dam's side.)
                          Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

New Zeland Sport Horse isn't Jockey Club!

Aberjack is in fact New Zeland Sport Horse. He is not 100% TB and he is not registered with the Jockey Club. He was approved GOV years ago and since I paid to have him put back in the OHBS/GOV stallion book, his offspring are once again eligible to be registered thru them. Absolute Liberty is not registered TB, she is approved and registered as an Oldenburg. A lot of folks don't have any registration papers on the horses they event,,and alot of the information passed with horses from owner to owner is not corrected with USEA or on their lifetime recorded memberships. I renewed his approval with GOV so that mare owners do have a chance to register his future offspring and have access to a registry that will proudly keep track of all of them that choose to avail themselves of this option.
                            If you haven't seen the papers, or a copy of them, don't assume that anything you might hear is an actual fact.
                            Aberjack doesn't think any one should be ashamed of calling him a TB, or an Oldenburg ,all he cares about is that he gets the lion's share of attention! The GOV was delighted to have him back on their books and they had Absolute Liberty's accomplishments in banner headlines on their website long before Aberjack came into my hands. I currently have horses from 10 different registry's on my place...1 stallion and 11 mares,,rest are geldings. Which registry do you think will be inspecting all the foals by this one stallion????
                            BTW, if you are not breeding to him, why all the fuss over him being called Oldenburg?

Comment

Yes, AL is registered GOV. If you go to their website and then scroll down the news link, there's a blurp about her.

To date, I haven't registered any of Cy's TB babies as warmbloods, but I know that it does happen and I believe that Fred has TB offspring registered with ISR/OldNA.
                              www.debracysporthorses.com
                              Home of Sea Accounts xx
                              AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                              "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

LOL!

Thanks "Owned by Him"...for setting it straight here! I had to laugh reading all the crazy hubbub about what breed these two fabulous horses are....who cares! They don't! What a great point!!!
                                I really kept reading the thread, THINKING it was gonna turn to what Buck said in the COTH between rounds article....but it never did!
                                I agreed with what Buck said, we need to extend the training grants to 3 yrs- not one year and requalify every year! That does seem nuts! But, change in huge bloated bureaucracies is slow- I should know- I work for one!
                                The article by Buck was well-written, I hope someone in charge reads it

Comment

Originally posted by RSEventer View Post
                                  Thanks "Owned by Him"...for setting it straight here! I had to laugh reading all the crazy hubbub about what breed these two fabulous horses are....who cares!
                                  I'll tell you who cares: people who care about sport horse breeding.

When one sees the designation 'OLD' after Aberjack's name, one might be led to believe he's a WB from Lower Saxony rather than a mostly-TB sport horse bred in NZ from proven eventing lines.

Maybe it's cute to say 'oh my, the horse doesn't care what he is', but if you want to attract mare owners to your stallion, someone really should care what he is, especially when we can open the Chronicle magazine at regular intervals to read yet another article on why Americans lag behind Europe in sport horse breeding.

Comment

especially when we can open the Chronicle magazine at regular intervals to read yet another article on why Americans lag behind Europe in sport horse breeding.

Wow, you feel that inferior to the European breeding programs that you take everything so personally? Americans lag behind the Europeans because they keep using flavor of the month stallions instead of using the proven sires that are disappearing from old age as we speak. 2 people are booked to breed to Aberjack this season, neither mare is registered or even part TB. I am breeding mares that while their papers may say KWPN or Holsteiner or even AHA, I know exactly what TB lines/% I have in them to get sporthorses. I don't walk around calling them TB crosses...they are in fact registered warmbloods. The TB mares that are JC will have to be GOV approved to register their foals. Again,,,thats the JC's perogative to lose credit for those foals being 31/32,7/8,15/16,1/2 TB.
                                    All registry papers do is keep track of ancestry for those who care about that sort of thing. They don't alter what the horse actually does, physically change their soundness or lack of it,nor do they get you a break when you pay your entry fees.
                                    If anybody on this current thread is actually booked to breed to this horse, its news to me. This thread was supposed to be about Buck's article, not breeding preferences.
                                    I am not trying to be cute, nor do I care that some people feel outrage that the GOV is taking credit for horses that are part TB. They are not registerable as TB so get over it already. Yes Aberjack is part Arabian, no he is not everybody's ideal of a great TB...but at his age, with his accomplishments and those of his offspring..they speak for themselves.
                                    Aberjack is 22 this year. If you (general) were going to breed to him, you either would have or you would have contacted Emersons or myself by now,following all the media attention he received and then Libby's big wins this year. Since, like I said, 2 outside mares are booked for the season, I know why European breeding programs are ahead of most of yours.
                                    I agreed to take Aberjack into my barn regardless of what anybody else expected of him. I knew that even if all I did was breed a few of my own mares to him that I would never regret bringing him to CA. He is a magnificent creature and a joy to have. I can't make breeding decisions for others, but please stop blaming the foreign market, the riders, the coaches, the registrys that do approve TB's as licensed breeding stallions, the "backyard" mare owners. Take a look around your own yard...and take a step back and realize that none of "us" is the enemy. Take a risk, breed to a stallion that excites you, breed to a mare that is extremely maternal and don't expect the foal to be as flat and dry as the registration papers it may or may not have!

Comment

Originally posted by Ownedbyhim View Post
                                      Wow, you feel that inferior to the European breeding programs that you take everything so personally?
                                      I'm not sure how or where you got the above notion if you actually read my post. There was nothing personal about it.

When I said that the Chronicle has run numerous articles over numerous years about the superiority of the Euro-breds, I was stating a fact. In case you've missed those reports, here's a recent one: We Need To Stop Outsourcing Our Horse Supply.

Americans lag behind the Europeans because they keep using flavor of the month stallions instead of using the proven sires that are disappearing from old age as we speak.
                                      I don't agree with you. There are much bigger issues, like mare quality or stallion qualifications or the lack of a national sport horse registry that tracks a horse through its competitive career.

Speaking personally, I use proven eventing sires for my mares. Some are so proven that they've been dead for years when I breed my mares to them.

I am not trying to be cute, nor do I care that some people feel outrage that the GOV is taking credit for horses that are part TB. They are not registerable as TB so get over it already.
                                      Your 'get over it already' makes it seem like you do care. Otherwise, why be rude?

Yes Aberjack is part Arabian, no he is not everybody's ideal of a great TB...but at his age, with his accomplishments and those of his offspring..they speak for themselves.
                                      I think we would all agree about Aberjack's accomplishments as a sire. I thought everyone here agreed that you were doing a wonderful thing in taking on Aberjack in his senior years.

Yet you seem to feel slighted by or have a chip on your shoulder about this thread. It all begain with vineyridge wondering why Aberjack was listed as an Oldenburg in the Chronicle, which is a legitimate question given his actual bloodlines.

Take a look around your own yard...and take a step back and realize that none of "us" is the enemy. Take a risk, breed to a stallion that excites you, breed to a mare that is extremely maternal and don't expect the foal to be as flat and dry as the registration papers it may or may not have!
                                      But just a few unbroken paragraphs back, in this very same post, you were scolding US breeders for 'using flavor of the month stallions instead of using the proven sires that are disappearing from old age as we speak.'

So which is it?

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm happy to pimp for Aberjack as an eventing sire. He's proving himself with his get. With the right mare, you can at least hope for FEI level potential with him. He has an excellent pedigree for performance--but it ain't North German.

Just because he is licensed by the Oldenburg people to breed doesn't make him an Oldenburger. One expects far different outcomes from a horse with German WB lines than one does from a horse who is mostly TB. That's why correct identification of his lineage would be important to people who are stallion searching.

Comment

Working...
                                        X