• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Donating for different rider development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating for different rider development

Does anyone know of a foundation which accepts donations
    to develop eventing riders who show particular talent for
    training level riders? I don't have a lot to contribute, but I
    would rather give what I can to a group that wants to support the grass roots rather than the Olympics. I would like to help
    in the development of people who want to work with riders
    on plain, ordinary horses, work in the hinterlands rather than
    on the coast, work with people who aspire to novice rather
    than advanced, work with working adults who cannot live
    horses 24/7 because they have other responsibilties. Is there
    such a foundation?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

American Horse Trials Foundation. They help up and coming riders by providing an organization for tax deductable donations to be collected and distributed to riders.

Riders have to apply and be approved, and help with the fundraising.

Comment

Yep, AHTF. If you know a rider on the list, contact them directly to ask how your donation can make a difference.

http://ahtf3day.org/riders_area.html

There are some big names on there, but there are also a lot of riders who are just trying to make a name for themselves and gain expertise so they can be valuable resources for the clientele you describe.
      Balanced Care Equine

Comment

I don't think you can qualify to receive AHTF funds until you have ridden at Intermediate so probably not what the OP is looking for. Why don't you give money to your local Pony Club?

Comment

IIRC it was either prelim or a CCI one star when my daughter applied.

Comment

Originally posted by tuppysmom View Post
            IIRC it was either prelim or a CCI one star when my daughter applied.
            I didn't recieve the information that I was eligible until after I completed a two star. However I don't think it matters. From the AHTF:

"Riders who are bona fide national or international level competitors are eligible to apply for grants from the American Horse Trials Foundation to further their preparation for Olympic or World Championship competition. "

So just the whole mission of the organization is not what the OP wants.

Just a point: you can give money to anyone you want, but what drives the whole process is whether the donations are recognized by the IRS as tax deductible. The AHTF serves the purpose of tax deductiblity that you don't have if you give directly to a rider. The idea that the money is being used for development of Olympic competition is the caveat that allows the IRS to recognize deductibility.

If you want to give to lower level riders AND deduct the give on taxes then you have to find a non-profit with the right status to do so. The "I just want to help regular Joes partake in an expensive sport" doesn't do much to motivate the IRS.

Comment

I would like to help
              in the development of people who want to work with riders
              on plain, ordinary horses, work in the hinterlands rather than
              on the coast, work with people who aspire to novice rather
              than advanced, work with working adults who cannot live
              horses 24/7 because they have other responsibilties.
              Supporting your local eventing association or Adult Riders group in funding the improvement of courses, officiating, footing, fence construction, availability of clinics, etc. is a good way to make your dollars work hard for lower level riders. No foundation required.

Or, take more lessons from your own trainer if he/she is such a person. Win-win!
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

Scholarships

I believe you can donate your funds in the form of a gift or scholarship, directly to your Area's eventing assoc. and earmark it specifically for Amateur Training level riders to use towards training fees, events entries, etc...

Another way to do something, may be a gift towards the winning, 2nd place, 3rd place etc AA Training rider at your favorite event.

I guess it depends on how you want to see your money used.

O! for a horse with wings! ~William Shakespeare, Cymbeline **or a unicorn horn. Whatever works.**

Comment

AHTF is NOT what you are looking for if you do not want to support riders who are trying to be competitive at the international level.

I agree with dw....support your local grassroots organization or Adult Riders program. Ear mark your USEA donations toward educational programs. Sponsor a scholarship or award to honor the type of person you are talking about. Donate and support the N3DE and T3DE programs. Support "intro to eventing" type programs. There's a lot of ways to support THIS type of person, but you may have to grow through some other programs to get the support there.
                  Amanda

Comment

My daughter is a AHTF eligible rider who is not one who has tons of financial support, nor has she competed on any "teams". She does compete internationally as does everyone who enters a CIC or CCI event.

She has been fortunate to recieve a developing rider grant in the past, but the majority of her support comes from her own hard work, and from friends and family who use AHTF to donate to her.

She is headed back to Germany in a few weeks to work for a BNR there and to compete "internationally", but this will be entirely funded by her own sweat and the generous kindness of others.

So, AHTF is there for the up and coming riders too.

Comment

AHTF is a great thing. You can contact Donna, and ask her if she knows of a rider in particular that needs the funds. But I do believe you have to have qualified for the AHTF by completing at the minimum a 1*. And mostly a 2. but even still. There are plenty of people on there who could use the funds. LOL. I know of one in particular...BUT

I would do what DeltaWave suggested. Heck, go buy a gift certificate from a local saddle shop, so you are helping them out, then contact an event that has an Amateur Training competition, and donate it for a prize. It could even be best turnout, that way, it goes to someone who really would probably love it.

Not all the people that are doing the 2*s are rude, or arrogant, or rich. There are some really nice people on that list, who are barely making ends meet. I know a few who mostly teach the beginner, or novice Ammie...and do it with a smile on thier face, and are genuinely HAPPY when they beat out themselves on thier backyard pony!
                      May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                      www.mmceventing.com

Comment

AHTF takes a percentage of the funds donated for administration.

I would donate directly to an organization that you know will distribute funds in a fair or desired manner, or a person you trust, or a group that is not only needy but has a charter or bylaws and follows them. Your area's Adult Riders group might fit this bill and is a good place to start an annual scholarship program or guidelines, for training level riders perhaps interested in attending adult eventing camp, or a Training three-day event.
                        Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                        Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Many of the USEA Affiliates (Local CTAs or EAs) focus on serving the lower level riders.

The Affiliates are all non-profits (they have to be to be an official Affiliate).

Many of the Affiliates already offer scholarships, or, if they don't, would be interested in doing so.

One way of addressing your goal would be to either fund an existing scholarship at an Affiliate, or set up and fund a new scholarship at an Affiliate.

You can work out, with the Affiliate, the criteria for awarding the scholarship, any restrictions on what it can be used for, and any follow up requirements (e.g., "you have to write up a newsletter article on how you used your scholarshio money")

You can find a list of Affiliates on the Affiliates page at the USEA web site.

http://www.useventing.com/start.php?section=affiliates
                          Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Don't let this stop you...

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
                            AHTF takes a percentage of the funds donated for administration.
                            Most charitable organizations take some of the donated funds for administration. It's important to be sure that MOST of your donations are used for the purpose of the charity.

What I like about the American Horse Trials Foundation is that I can donate money and ask that it be given to an entity... like for course improvement on a private farm that does recognized events AND get a tax deduction for my donation. Double bonus for me...

And, I do also donate to my Area, Adult Riders, Young Riders and the USEA Foundation. It's not big money but I like to support our sport every way I can...
                            Live, Laugh, Love
                            http://confessionsofanaaer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X