• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

OTTB as first horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTTB as first horse?

Hi everyone! I'm new and super happy to be part of this community!

Okay, so back to my question, I am very interested in adopting an OTTB. This horse would be my first horse. I have been riding for about 8 years now and eventing for about a year and a half. My riding experience includes teaching greenies to stay on the bit and consistently jump to riding eventing school masters. Currently, I am riding an arabian and preparing him for his first event. He is about 12, has some basics, but didn't know how to remain on the bit and wasn't much of a jumper. He refused all the time, but now we are consistently jumping three feet, with help from my trainer. Although I've never owned a horse or leased one, I am at the barn about four to five times a week, either working for my instructor or riding horses for boarders.

I'm used to hot-blooded breeds, ridden many arabians and a couple thoroughbreds, and I enjoy their energy. The reason I am considering an OTTB because I want a challenge and want to better myself as a rider. There is nothing better to me than seeing how far a horse has come. I'd really like to take the horse to at least preliminary, preferably a higher eventually, and I definitely expect that to take five or more years, but I'll be very patient. I will be working with my trainer weekly and she is always there for advice. Oh, and I would adopt one from a program that already starts the OTTB with basics. What do you guys think? Would it be a crazy idea or do you think it could work? Thanks for so much for reading!

I'd say if you are experienced, capable and confident working with green horses and would be under the supervision of a good trainer so I don't see why it would be such a crazy idea. What does your trainer think of the idea? She probably knows your experience and comfort level better than anyone else. The only thing I would caution is this: how much show experience do you have? If you have limited show experience and find showing intimidating or nerve wracking, I'd suggest getting some show miles with a horse that knows the drill first. That way you can feel comfortable (if you don't already) riding competently in a show environment down the road; you can make greenie's show experiences positive without having to worry as much about your own nerves and insecurities.
    Balanced Care Equine

Comment

If you are already comfortable with riding green horses and OTTBs, I don't see that not having owned before is reason not to consider an OTTB.

Is this a horse you would be able to ride before buying or will you just be watching it jog etc? I do think in buying a first horse it would be best to be able to ride, have your trainer ride, to make sure you feel comfortable with the match.

Comment

Since you are working with a trainer, I think you would be fine. They're not really "hot-blooded monsters" I swear! Definitely do it in a way that you can meet and sit on said horse before you buy though (i.e. CANTER or similar). My OTTB is my second horse, and even though he is quiet and patient, I am definitely glad I had the skills learned from my first horse to apply, but they are also very different in many ways and you sound like you are in a situation that is well suited to that learning experience.
        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I work with CANTER Mid Atlantic retraining the horses donated to us and there are so many of our horses that would be perfect for a rider like you. There are some horses that I would probably steer you away from because although they are talented they may be a bit too smart for their own good. Those types are more challenging because you have to have a large knowledge base and big toolbox to ensure they stay on the right track and don't regress in their training.

We put a lot of mileage on them before we advertise them for sale so we really get to know them inside and out. They go out trail riding, take trips off the farm, xc school and more. It helps us figure out what the horse wants to do in their second career and allows us to know what type of rider they will best suit so that we make the right match the first time.

For somebody buying an ottb for their first horse it's important to buy a horse that is forgiving in nature and is willing to please. You will make mistakes and they have to be okay with that and not hold it against you. It's helpful to have a horse that is sensible enough to not overreact if you are nervous. Those types do exist so take your time making sure you find the right horse. The right horse can make the experience fun but the wrong one can take away your confidence quickly.
          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

JLee is right on- and if you go through a reputable program such as Canter MidAtlantic, MidAtlantic Horse Rescue, or others, we will make sure it is the right match and stand behind the horse 100%. Win win win for everyone-you get a great horse, horse gets a great home, new horse gets to come into the program....
            Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
            MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Comment

Then of course there are many private re-sellers like me who have the luxory of hand picking the horses. Their own farm w/ the abilitey to let the horse down and give them a good solid start w/ upper level rider. Plus can re-sell modestly.

You have lots of options and your price will dictate where you buy...also allowing at least $1200. for a very comprehensive PPE. Don't fly blind or compromise if you are looking to make Prelim and keep the horse for 5yrs. Make sure you start out w/ good solid joints, good feet and wind.

If you start out w/ an issue to over come or are working w/ a conformation handicap you will get frustrated.

JLee amd Bev always have nice horses to try.....New Vocations is another place to . But w/ NV remember you are obligated to keep horse for 1 full year before you can sell it on if its not going to work out.

Comment

Totally agree with Jlee and Bev.

I would also recommend Canter or MidAtlantic Horse Rescue. These are two reputable programs that take the time to make sure the horse is a good match. There are some rescues who aren't this way.

It's more than just how many horses are adopted that makes a rescue successful. It's how many horses are appropriately placed and how many riders have partners that they enjoy and can ride.

I love working with greenies but there have been ones that have been more than I was comfortable with riding. A horse like that can really set your confidence back and have you doubting yourself.

Enlisting the help of your trainer and a reputable rescue should put you on the right track. Have fun and good luck!!

ETA: I see Judy was posting the same time I was. The private farm is also another option and there are ones specializing in OTTBs.
                For a first horse, I would definitely recommend one that has been "let down" and evaluated by a pro. It's worth the extra cost.
                http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

I'm a weirdo who actually prefers horses to be started by amateurs, they just seem to be able to take a joke a little better when they are ridden by someone who isn't perfect 100% of the time. But then again, I gravitate toward horses who are weird and do things like try to kick me when I do up their blankets

Anyhow, an OTTB as a first horse--absolutely, with the right horse. I don't usually suggest people go straight to the track to pick a horse themselves, and instead look only at horses who have been let down and well-started. Depending on where you are, there are lots of options there, but definitely check references and absolutely plan on a vetting, particularly if you are buying from a private individual.

I'd have to go back and look, but I know a decent percentage of folks have purchased horses from the CANTER program as their "first horse". They weren't inexperienced with horses though.
                  We have a couple in NC now that would tolerate you putting your Jack Russell in the tack and taking it for a hack
                  So yes, go sit on some horses and get a feel for what you'd like in a horse, and bring someone who knows OTTBs with you when you go.

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeather View Post
                    We have a couple in NC now that would tolerate you putting your Jack Russell in the tack and taking it for a hack
                    FairWeather says this because she probably HAS put Boots in the tack and done just that!
                    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for such great advice! Some of that stuff I didn't even consider, like showing experience and a horse that's too smart. Anything else? How do you know an OTTB will do well as an eventer?

Comment

I just bought my first OTTB, though she's not my first horse she's the first super green, knows almost nothing baby I've bought. I got her with the help of my trainer and a private seller. However we were also looking at the Makers Mark Secretariat Center that's at the Kentucky Horse Park. I'm not sure where you're located, but they are wonderful and we currently have 3 horses from there, all are fabulous babies.

As for knowing if they'll do well as an eventer, evaluate overall conformation, movement, and jump (either undersaddle or free jumping. We took my filly XC schooling the first time I tried her. Took her through water, over a ditch, up and down a bank. She loved it. Did everything willingly. If you take them out XC and they're unsure but they figure it out and go, then you're probably ok, if you take them out and they never settle down, never get it, then it might not be the right job for them. However, it's still kinda a crap shoot, unfortunately. It's hard to tell until they're really going. But you can get a decent idea based on the initial XC schooling. But good luck and I hope you find a wonderful horse! I'm absolutely in love with my OTTB, she's so smart and wonderful and they're just great horses. =]

Comment

My test for an event horse:
                          Is it sound?
                          Can it trot (can it walk, can it canter)?
                          Does it pick up it's legs over a jump?
                          Ditches/banks/water?
                          Trainable/quiet brain?
                          Aces!

Of course, a whole lot more to it than that, but if you are shopping for a greenie off the track, the above is really all you can hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeather View Post
                            My test for an event horse:
                            Is it sound?
                            Can it trot (can it walk, can it canter)?
                            Does it pick up it's legs over a jump?
                            Ditches/banks/water?
                            Trainable/quiet brain?
                            Aces!
                            + Can I get it on the trailer?

Sounds like my list.

OP, sounds like you have a good plan. I hope you bring home a lovely OTTB.

Comment

Having owned four, and now three, I am biased. Not every horse is for every owner, but that is all horses and owners. In a couple of months the sales will start for those not worth running this spring and you can find some nice deals.

How to find a good one...get to know someone that understands what you want and what you need in a horse. Have them keep an eye out for something that would suit you. This is what I didi and I can honestly say every horse I got from that person was exactly what I was looking for.

How to pick an eventer is a different story. It is hard to tell from the track if they will like eventing. If I had to pick one thing I'd say a horse that is confident on it's own. Herd bound, insecure, needing a leader MAY translate to a lack of confidence in XC where the hrose has to think on it's own at times. Not saying the above traits CAN'T be good eventers but its something to consider if you want to ride the horse to Prelim or beyond.
                              My three are working towards eventing, well two are and the third will be soon. Thirs is currently my DS endurance/trail horse and Im not sure he'll actually take to eventing but we're gonna try this year.

TBs seem to wear their hearts on their shoulders and they don't seem to hide much about how they feel. I LOVE THIS ABOUT THEM, but it isn't for everyone. Good luck in your search!

Comment

Originally posted by Kryswyn View Post
                                FairWeather says this because she probably HAS put Boots in the tack and done just that!
                                That's how FairWeather figured out mine was a Good Egg--Boots did indeed try to hop up, and the mare didn't much care She was my "first" horse, though I'd ridden for more than a decade and leased for a while. While she isn't the easiest ride in the world (not at all bad or "hot", just sensitive), she's made me a much better rider and is a total love on the ground.

Finding the right one is definitely the key, and working with an organization like CANTER can help you with that. Good luck with your hunt!
                                A Year In the Saddle

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys! I will definitely using all of you when I bring one home. Sounds like a lot of you have experience with OTTBs.

Comment

Just thought I'd add, my first horse was an ottb (I hadn't even been riding a full year ). But really he was wonderful and I still have him 17 years later. As long as you are working with a trainer on a consistent basis, you'll be fine

Comment

I had ridden for a few years, and part leased a few different horses, and an OTTB is my first horse. But she had been off the track and in full training and doing lots of stuff for 2 years between the track and me.

Ditto on finding one that is forgiving and a pleaser. Honestly, I have met more TBs that fill that bill than other breeds. They are often pretty generous minded.

Have fun, and post pictures. :-)
                                      I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                      I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

I bought a very naughty OTTB as my first horse I had leased many, and been looking at several non-OTTB's prior to my purchase. I've since bought & sold a few without issue, all quite easy FWIW.

He is amazing & fabulous & with me forever. However, I can not say it has been easy, or it ever will be. I bought him because he was.is a talented, athletic, attractive, and genuine animal. There are times when I wish he came with an 'easy' button, but his answer is 'yes, mom' when it comes to the important things. I'd take a million more like him. I suspect if he didn't have the work-ethic & arrogance he would have been out of my price range

Comment

Working...
                                        X