• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Eventing buying public... Who are you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eventing buying public... Who are you?

Yes! Who are you? Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses?

What's your typical horse shopping trip? Local? Regional? National? Europe?

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. )

Any bloodlines you seek?

Go ahead, what's on your wishlist?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales
    Facebook | YouTube

Since I bought an event horse this year, I guess that makes me qualified to answer, but I have to point out that as a "horse buyer" I am someone who does so quite infrequently. This horse, in fact, is only the fourth horse I have ever BOUGHT. I have bred one, leased one, and borrowed others.

Who am I? An adult amateur with a full time job and a family and a farm to take care of--I don't have time to make big, elaborate shopping trips. Does this color my buying style? NO DOUBT! I do a lot of my "process of elimination" via ads on the internet, and rely quite a bit on the "word of mouth" method of shopping vis-a-vis friends that I trust giving me leads as well as telling me who to deal with and not deal with.

I will point out a big pet peeve, and that is ridiculous over-advertising of a horse's experience or abilities. A horse that has done BN three times is NOT an "upper level prospect". A horse that is schooling XC is not "suitable for Training level". Drives me flippin' nuts. Give me the horse's competition record, show me some good video of it handling serious Training or Prelim schooling questions perfectly, then we'll talk "experience".

I have bought OTTBs and packers and have bred one for myself. At this stage of my life I prefer something with experience, and specifically evidence of complete honesty and courage XC. EVERYTHING else, for me, is negotiable (other than soundness).

I wound up with three horses on my final list, and would have been happy with any of the three. It took me only about a month to find and complete the purchase on the one I eventually chose. I am old enough and realistic enough to grasp that no horse is perfect and they all require some sort of compromise, no matter how minor. The best horse I ever had also just fell in my lap, and I'mm of the firm belief that good horses just sort of HAPPEN if we let them.

I won't travel unless I am very, very interested in a specific horse or horses. Too busy. Not productive. No trips to Europe or NZ or big sport horse auctions for me. Except in my dreams.

I could not POSSIBLY care less about bloodlines, breed, size (to a point) or color. The horse I bought this year is spotted, of completely unknown breeding, and sort of little. He's exactly what I wanted.

What's on my wish list? Time to go to shows with the critters I have!
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

I bought 3 horses this year. I too, have a busy full time job. Despite being even older than DW, I still love starting the green ones, but am over dealing with babies, so I am looking for 4-8 year old geldings (I have an irrational anti-mare bias) that are good movers and have a good brain. I have a definite soft spot for the OTTB, and won't buy anything that doesn't seem at least part TB (has some obvious gallop in there). I too do 90% of my shopping on the internet as I am always looking at a low price point, but am willing to spend a bit more for something let down off the track with a few basics (everything I have bought in the past 12 years - approximately 30 horses has been in the $2000-$6500 price range).

I am interested in TB breeding and have a soft spot for Danzig and Damascus line horses, prefer smaller horses (15.2-16.1), and like bays, but in the end consider color irrelevant. I have most recently bought (since 2009, two OTTB, 2 Trakehner crosses, and an "Irish TB" of unknown breeding - we think TB with a touch of pony in there). I travel within the US, but have bought several horses (including the infamous Keeber) sight unseen beyond a picture or video.

What's on my wish list - the one I have now, who is handsome, brave and fun fun fun!!
      OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Who are you?
        An AA who works office hours and has the usual limited time off.

Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses?
        I can only afford prospects. Foals are too young to show me what they can do, but 2-4 years old is my pricerange.

Local and regional. I have looked nationally but found that most sellers cannot provide me with a video and good photos: my minimum requirements before I'll buy a plane ticket to see their horse. Whether this is lack of confidence in technology, or they just don't want to sell their horse, I have no idea.

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries?
        Yes. I want a 1/2 TB, 1/2 WB.
        I do not want another OTTB due to the emotional and physical pounding they get at a young age.
        I want the WB half to bring great feet, easy keeping and gaits to the equation. I want the TB half to bring the fire and galloping ability!

Any bloodlines you seek?
        If it's unbacked, I only need to see it show jumping talent. I'm less likely to go see a dressage bred horse or one by parents who have done nothing of note in life, but any horse that can jump is one I'm interested in.

16.1-16.3
        Gelding preferred, non-marish mare OK
        Great feet! Straight legs! Totally sound! Easy keeper!
        Smart and quick and kind. Loves to jump, and adores the trail.
        ----------------------------------------
        PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
        http://pssm.xanthoria.com/
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

I'll play! My buying is 3-4 years from now but I'm in quasi-shopping mode.

Who am I? Young-ish (still under 30...barely) adult ammy, no kids, no hubby, good job. No aspirations for the big leagues. My current ride was born a packer and will top out at Training or Prelim. Coincidentally, that's probably where I'll top out as well.

What do I buy? I've only had two horses, an OTTB when I was a kid and the current horse, who was a fox hunter when I got him as a 7 yr old. Eventing is something we fell into when I realized it's what he does best.

Where am I shopping? Fairly local. I don't mind driving a few hours in either direction, but I'm not about to head off to the other coast or another country.

Breeds/registries? I want my next horse to be lighter than Lincoln, so I won't be looking at draft crosses again. Other than that I'm not too hung up on breeding. However...

Bloodlines? I have a crush on Salute the Truth. There. I said it.

Wishlish? I'm keeping my eye on the 2012 crop of Salute the Truth's babies. I'd love to get one that's north of 16.2 with a matter of fact demeanor. I'll also be browsing the CANTER horses, sporthorse nation, etc. Who knows what I'll end up with? Personality is going to be a big factor for me. It would be nice if the horse had the movement to crossover into the hunter ring just for shiggles.
          The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

I bought one this year too. I'm an adult with a full time job.

I shopped primarily OTTB's for a variety of reasons but did not exclude other possibilities if they fit my criteria. I did NOT want a warmblood or heavy horse. I heavily shopped CANTER MA because of the initial let-down and training provided.

I don't care about papers or bloodlines, I shop the horse in front of me.

I'm not interested in foals/youngsters and the time required. I'm also not interesting in spending $20,000 when I can spend $2500 and buy a heck of a lot of lessons with the other $17,500.

My shopping is regional as I have limited time and cash.

My wish list is standing in the pasture: great mind, enough athleticism to go at least Prelim and make it safe and fun, easy to condition, tall enough for my freaky legs but under 17 h (no monsters, please) and built to last. No greys (I don't want to groom that hard), no mares.
            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I don't have any plans to buy, but I'm really (really, really, really) hoping to land a decent job this May after I graduate and be in horse-shopping mode by this time next year!

Who are you?
              At the moment, I'm a grad student working part time. This time next year I hope to be in a big-ish city (actually, I don't hope to be in a city, but I suspect that's where I'll be able to find a job) working full time.
              I'd love do be able to get a horse who is already going and eventing, but unless I get ridiculously lucky with my job that's probably not going to happen. I suspect I'll be looking at younger prospects, and probably focusing on OTTBs

In the past I've done local/regional and will probably be doing the same. I'm pretty willing to do a one-day drive to go see a horse, might be willing to go a bit farther if I had really good photos and videos, but it always surprises me how hard it is to get those from sellers

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. )
              Nope, not really. I definitely have a thing for TB's, but as long as the horse is built for the job I want to do and has the movement, athleticism, etc them I don't really care what breed it is.

Any bloodlines you seek?
              I don't know very much about bloodlines, so short answer... no. But, if I were buying a younger horse (say 2-3) who had less experience under saddle then I'd do more investigating into their bloodlines to learn more about the potential they might have. Even with a slightly older horse I'd like to do some research on the bloodlines, but more for my own curiosity than as a deciding factor on whether to purchase or not. The only thing I am picky about is that I want a mare (I'm a 'mare-person'!) I also have dreams of breeding someday so if/when I find a mare I love you can count on me to put a post up on here to see what people more knowledgeable than me think about the bloodlines

My dream (aka will never happen) wishlist? A 10 year old mare with a sweet and playful personality who is a solid prelim horse with potential to go intermediate who can give me confidence and experience
              My more realistic wishlist? A 2-4 year old OTTB mare with a sweet, silly, ammy-friendly personality who is fun to be around. My 'heart-mare' made me laugh all the time and I really miss that. My number one criteria is soundness, followed very closely by temperament and personality. Of course I also want a horse who is athletic, has nice movement for dressage and is bold over fences
              Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
              If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Comment

I'll throw my little experience in here, from a completely different prospective.
                Who am I?: I help/advise my family on chooosing quality mares/stallions to produce event horse babies!

What do we buy? We've fallen in love w/ Irish crosses. We started choosing connemara mares, but now have switched to large TB or ID/TB mares.

Typical Shopping Trip: we've had a few shipped from the west coast, and will travel up the East coast to look at some.

Breeds/Registries: I adore Irish horses. W/ some TB blood, they're light enough to make time and have stamina, but the ID gives them more bone and build and a great mind. Also, have a soft spot for connemaras, and the conn/tb make great small horses.

Bloodlines: On the TB side, we've had mares w/ Secretariat, and Bold Ruler lines. Connemaras: we've had fantastic luck w/ Grange Finn Sparrow (now deceased) whose out of Coosheen Finn. While on connemaras, really like to see how Dexter Leam Pondi babies may do in eventing. (He's produced consecutive upper-level jumper babies)

Wishlist:
                definitly a 3/4 tb 1/4 ID gelding 16.1ish, if anyone has seen Dynamic Image I am in love with that horse, he won the 2** at NAYRC last year. He's built to perform and is a wonderfully built strong animal. It also helps he's dapple grey. I also had an ISH back as a junior who carried me around like a saint. (Was probably the reason my parents started breeding ISH's)
                www.facebook.com/clairerobinsoneventing
                https://clairevoyance1.wordpress.com

Comment

oh wait, someone already posted for me

I would post, but EXACTLY what Wildlifer said, except the freakishly long legs part

Comment

sure...I'll play.

Who are you?

Adult Ammy with a high pressure (ie long hours) career not involved with horses. Been riding and competing for more than 30 years. Comfortable bringing unbroke or fresh off the track horse up through Prelim. Will still swing a leg over an unknown horse even though I'm old enough that I don't have too. Love the green horses.

I've managed to not buy one yet in 2012...but have three mares due to foals. Two bred to be eventers and one dressage (watch that one will end up a 4* horses!).

2011 I bought 2 horses. A 3 year old purpose bred (mostly TB but grandpa is High Scope) and a 6 year old OTTB (chestnut mare)--no re-train since her last race. OTTB is probably a keeper---3 year old may possibly be for sale after I put some work into her. She will be a super ammy horse or YR eventer in a few years.

I typically buy projects....yearling - 6 year old. Prefer mares, prefer TBs but have expanded to some WB/TB crosses and now breeding my own. Will probably always have a couple of OTTBs.

Typically shopping trip is locally looking at my OTTB or youngsters ---but I live in a very horse dense and GOOD horse dense area....people come to my local area to horse shop. Never need to go far to find an interesting prospect. Usually takes me less than a month to find a prospect.

Sort of ....they need to have a lot of TB blood and there are certain lines in TBs that I prefer. The horse in front of me is most important but I can usually tell on paper if they will likely be my type or look I like. From a breeding perspective, I'm looking at several different breeds but trying to pick what would match best with my mares.

Bloodlines

In TB...love a lot of the lines, What a Pleasure, Grey Flight, Grey Dawn, Herbager, Turn-To, In Reality, The Axe, Princequillo , Hoist the Flag, Mill Reef, Sadler Wells, just to name a few.

Beyond that...I'm still learning.

Wishlist To see a baby I own/bred kick a$$ at Badminton. Otherwise...all my horses sound...and would love to have the young version of my first Prelim horse (OTTB)
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Ooh I'll play too!

Me: mid thirties (sigh) AA

What I buy: usually young TBs (2-4yrs) off the backside, I have bought one older TB one (he was 9 when he came OT). I actually like TBs, and I don't mind hunting for a good one. The one I bought last year, I must have looked at over 30 horses on and off track before I found him. What I look for is conformation and movement, movement within the confines of what I can see at the track. Recently I started to pay more attention to temperament, I FINALLY made the connection between "interested in people", rideability and train-ability.

I try to shop as locally as possible, I would go and have gone down to the mid-atlantic area before, however I wouldn't go much farther than that, and certainly wouldn't go to Europe.

Not interested in foals or yearlings, primarily because I board. I'm also not interested horses that are already restarted or started. (I guess that means I want prospects!)

Probably going to pick up another horse next year, and I will likely just go through my track connections again. I would look at a sport bred TB, depending on the horse.
                      Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow! I wasn't expecting such generosity! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such detailed replies!

The more I get old, I get incapable of dealing with some "issues" coming along with other disciplines... I was an eventing fan as a kid, then moved to jumpers, then to dressage... then I had a brief interest for hunters and now, well, I have two young kids and I can't... can't deal with anything that is not friendly, transparent and honest. My time is so precious, I want to spend it doing something I love without being bothered by anything silly.

I have, what I think is, a fantastic mare who seems to have what it takes to produce eventers.

But of course, before going all out and aiming at producing eventers, I am doing my research. I am not interested in producing lower level horses, there are plenty of those around and there's no point in competing against all the lovely OTTBs already out there. I want to offer the complete package.

I am expecting that I'll keep them until riding age, and so far, I have what could fit the bill for some of you down the road.

Now, I understand $ is an object and that eventing prospects or even green broke eventers won't sell for ginormous amounts of $ given the OTTB scene too. However, how are your shows? Are they insanely expensive like the hunter/jumper shows or are they a realistic options to take the youngsters out and about?

As well, how would you feel about an ex-foxhunter as an eventing prospect?

Dear Panelists, thank you in advance!
                        www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                        Breeding & Sales
                        Facebook | YouTube

Comment

I'll bite! I did everything backwards.

Who are you?
                          AA 8-5'er, early 20's, married, no kids.

My absolute dream horse ended up coming from a breeder I work very closely with. I know I got lucky in not having to do the big search.

Yes. It was love at first sight for me with the Welsh Cob breed, and I ended up with one that has enough talent to take me as far as I want to go in eventing - and stay sound and barely make an impression on my checkbook as far as groceries go!

14hh-14.1hh, gelding. Athletic and scopey, light and reactive - "not a kids pony". Lots of bone, big, strong, well-shaped feet and an easy keeper.
                          www.cobjockey.com - Eventing the Welsh Cob

Comment

I'll play a little although I suspect I am way in the minority.
                            Older, ( now on the downhill side of 50) AA with a full time job ( and unpredictable overtime....) Have been riding for over 45 years now. Not as fearless as I used to be - prefer to ride only my own horses now

Haven't bought a riding horse in years - have instead bred, trained and ridden my homebreds - at least for the last 15 years or so. Last mare i bought was 4 or 5 years ago as an addition to my broodmare band

Dont really care which registry but would like proof of pedigree and ability to register foals - esp fillies so that I can follow my generations of breeding..

Bloodlines - original TB mare line base with dual purpose Warmblood - for the most part-stallions - not too heavy and lots of TB

Wishlist? For eventers to look at and buy purpose bred foals .....
                            http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

Equus, I think you'd be surprised at how nice the horses are at the lower levels, I know I was! I returned to eventing after a 12 yr hiatus in another discipline. My friend very generously lent me his pony to compete while my young horse was recouping from a bow, and I was very shocked at the quality of the horses I was competing against. Most were WB and very nice. Things have changed.

Price wise, a one day horse trial in my area (area 1) runs about $180 ish. 2 day events, if you stable are more. Overall the entry fees etc are much cheaper than horse shows. You can look up the fees in the omnibus. Also I find that people tend to be a little friendlier than in hunterland or dressageland.

Unrecognized horse trials are much cheaper, and very young horse friendly, and are very popular. They are usually pretty good quality too, unlike some of the hunter style schooling shows. Lots of options in eventingland
                              Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Judysmom View Post
                                Equus, I think you'd be surprised at how nice the horses are at the lower levels, I know I was! I returned to eventing after a 12 yr hiatus in another discipline. My friend very generously lent me his pony to compete while my young horse was recouping from a bow, and I was very shocked at the quality of the horses I was competing against. Most were WB and very nice. Things have changed.

Price wise, a one day horse trial in my area (area 1) runs about $180 ish. 2 day events, if you stable are more. Overall the entry fees etc are much cheaper than horse shows. You can look up the fees in the omnibus. Also I find that people tend to be a little friendlier than in hunterland or dressageland.

Unrecognized horse trials are much cheaper, and very young horse friendly, and are very popular. They are usually pretty good quality too, unlike some of the hunter style schooling shows. Lots of options in eventingland
                                Thank you!

Don't take me wrong, I don't mean to say lower level horses are not good horses. I just don't think it's ethical to aim for anything but the highest level because chances are, it will very seldom work... I have to plan a generous margin for my "failures" to find a job with a good home! (And no offense to OTTBs! My broodmare is a TB... Black-type! )

It's great to know there are plenty of options. Love that I won't have to deal with the hunter braids... Gah!
                                www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                                Breeding & Sales
                                Facebook | YouTube

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
                                  Wishlist? For eventers to look at and buy purpose bred foals .....

While I am on this ethical train of thought... Would it be hyppocritical (I am sure I made a spelling mistake here...) to breed for the top, while I haven't shown at that level and don't plan too? My plan is to break my youngsters, and show them up the levels until they are sold, but I'm not Rolex contender. Or I'd love too, but I'll admit that I don't feel comfortable with that risk (see "two very very young kids").

That's also why I only want to break my own... The ones I have raised and know like the back of my hand.
                                  www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                                  Breeding & Sales
                                  Facebook | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
                                    Thank you!

Don't take me wrong, I don't mean to say lower level horses are not good horses. I just don't think it's ethical to aim for anything but the highest level because chances are, it will very seldom work... I have to plan a generous margin for my "failures" to find a job with a good home! (And no offense to OTTBs! My broodmare is a TB... Black-type! )

It's great to know there are plenty of options. Love that I won't have to deal with the hunter braids... Gah!
                                    No worries! I knew what you meant
                                    Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Judysmom View Post
                                      No worries! I knew what you meant
                                      Phew! Here I thought... "Well, that was a brillantly good start there EM."
                                      www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                                      Breeding & Sales
                                      Facebook | YouTube

Comment

Who are you?

Adult who enjoys fumbling about with horses. Currently, I breed, do a bit of young horse training, ride a couple of ponies, and support my homebreds in their competition careers. As I want them to be successful and happy eventers, I step aside in favor of riders who can give them the partnership they deserve.

Egads. I'm guilty on all counts, although I don't seek out made horses. But if a good opportunity comes along and I like the horse/pony, I'll take it.

I prefer mares and, as I'm all of 110 lbs, I have an affinity for ponies and small horses. But right now, my 'prospect' is a 3YO 16.2+hh OTTB, who I got as a long 2YO.

I'm always on the lookout for a good mare with a good pedigree for breeding.

The US and Canada, although I'm not much of a shopper. I bought an OTTB from a track in Ohio last year as well as one from up here in BC. I still haven't seen the mare from Ohio in person.

I don't care at all about papers or registries or WB stuff. I like mostly-TBs and TBs for eventing. I like to ride a forward-thinking, forward-moving horse, and breed really doesn't matter.

Any bloodlines you seek?

I'm interested in bloodlines for breeding more than riding. I'd like a mare by Welton Crackerjack and also one by Rock King. Maybe a pony mare by Grange Finn Sparrow, too.

I'd like to breed some mares to Presenting or Robin des Champs. I'd also like to get some frozen semen from Primitive Rising for my TB mare.

As well, how would you feel about an ex-foxhunter as an eventing prospect?

Right up my alley. I've done it before. The horse didn't care much for dressage but was fun over fences. He started eventing at 12 and was happy at Prelim at age 19 but had to be retired due to a skin issue.

Comment

Working...
                                        X