• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Eventers in Missouri

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventers in Missouri

Hey there!

I am currently in the ideal eventing area - Area 2. I'm extremely happy where I'm at, love the paper chases, horse trials, and local horse community.

However, my fiance wants to possibly move back to Missouri (where he's originally from) and I had lived there a short while in Grundy County and didn't have a clue as to what to do with my horses! I already stated I probably won't go back there. We would live a 150 miles out of Kansas City and 250 miles away from St. Louis.

However, I am looking for any eventers in the Missouri area to talk to that can tell me what there is that maybe I just couldn't find when I lived there! SO... I'd like to network and make associates or friends in the area that can discuss the eventing opportunities in Missouri with me - and I would also love opinions on if the people of Missouri would be interested in equine sports massage therapy for their competitive horses!!

I'd appreciate any Show Me residents to show me that there might be a possibilty.
    http://www.massageforequines.com
    Massage, braiding, and clipping services...

www.usea4.org is the homepage for Area IV. I live 1 hour south of St. Louis. I have friends out where you're talking about and we have quite an active group in St. Louis, several of whom frequent this site.

Come on in! The water's fine!

Blue

Comment

I am the organizer of Queeny Park Horse Trials held in St. Louis, MO. There are lots of places to go in KS and MO and IL, and active groups across the state.

PM me and I'll add you to the Queeny Park email list to keep you apprised of what's going on in St. Louis, and point you to other sites you may want to check out in Area IV!

Comment

Painted One,
        I send out & keep up a website with the majority of eventing, dressage & associated shows & clinics in both Area IV and Area V. You can check out what's happening on the calendar on the website below. PM me your e-mail & you can get a monthly update. The folks in Missouri (CDCTA in Columbia & MACTA in KC) are great - you'll probably want to contact Painted Wings and Abrownhorse for more local info.
        Welcome to Area IV!
        Brock
        Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Comment

St. Louis here! There is a pretty good base of horsey people in St. Louis, and it seems like Kansas City too. In St. Louis there is Queeny Park, in Kansas City there is Heritage park and Longview Horse Park, in Illinois there is Dunnabeck HT. I know I am forgetting some too .

DEFINATELY let devcubber put you on her email list, Queeny is GREAT!

Comment

Hey we are few but friendly. There is a great group in KC and then the crazies in St. Louis. I think there are those in KC that stalk some in St. Louis. Or at least that's what I read on the internet so it must be true.

Anyway, you'll be far from anywhere with the price of gas and diesel what it is. Still we have a good time with what we have.

The Queeny Park, Longview, Dunnabeck, Heritage, and Longview facilities are all great.
            -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

I'll vouch again for Queeny Park. We rode there again last weekend.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
              Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

Are there many starter horse trials to school novice horses at before recognized events?

Do you all generally event once or twice a month?

Are there any facilities with open xc courses for schooling (although I know it would be a hike to do so)?

How about jumper shows? And combined tests?

Now, do you all tend to travel with another competitior or do you suck up the gas prices yourselves?

I appreciate all of your information. Please send e-mails to jumpers307@yahoo.com and let's talk!!

Comment

abrownhorse is also in MO. She has a really cool private farm. Don't have her website handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahsmom View Post
                    abrownhorse is also in MO. She has a really cool private farm. Don't have her website handy.
                    http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

Are there many starter horse trials to school novice horses at before recognized events? Queeny park hosts a mini event and offers a starter novice course at their recognized event. There's another local private farm or two who host unrecognized events which are especially beneficial for greenies.

Do you all generally event once or twice a month? I did. Some do more. I've evented in Area III, V, and VIII as well as IV...WHILE LIVING IN ST. LOUIS!

Are there any facilities with open xc courses for schooling (although I know it would be a hike to do so)? QP. There's another course in IL which has chosen to not host any events for awhile but several of our members have an "in" there and can school there on appointment. Play nice and you'll get to come too! Also, there's Hunter Oaks which puts on a few really good clinic/CT combinations (Jim Graham) and a HT in the fall.

How about jumper shows? And combined tests? Yep. St. Louis offers a series at a really cool indoor facility, check MHSA and MOHJO for information, Columbia hosts HJ shows too, I think.

Now, do you all tend to travel with another competitior or do you suck up the gas prices yourselves? We travel in packs like wild dogs. PaintedWings is right about the STL group being the crazies and only the bravest of the KC group dare to hang with us!

Comment

I just moved to Jefferson City, MO 3 weeks ago from Charlottesville, VA. The change is a bit of a shock -- as in, the closest tack store is 30 minutes away, and not even really a tack store. Just Tractor Supply. Charlottesville had multiple tack stores 5-10 minutes from my house/barn, and a Dover Saddlery was one of them! Having to order bell boots from a catalogue this past week made me shudder, but I bore it well and survived.

But I have managed to find a wonderful stable here in Missouri, not far from the city, and with eventers! Moving to the (seeming) middle of nowhere was painful, but it's really not so bad now that I'm here. The countryside is (almost) as pretty as Virginia, the horse people at my barn are just as nice (if not nicer!) as any horse people I've ever encountered, and best of all, board is much cheaper than in Virginia. I could never afford to keep my horse at a nice place with an indoor ring in VA, but now I can! Hay is incredibly cheap, too, though this year it's supposedly more expensive than ever before. Still cheaper than Charlottesville!

I haven't been here long enough to experience any eventing outside of the barn where I've got my boy, but it doesn't look all that bleak. I know an eventer over in Kansas City, and I know there is some sort of big dressage show up in Columbia. I think someone mentioned that in an above post.

Sorry if I can't be too much help, but I can assure you that the move from East Coast eventing to Mid-Missouri eventing isn't as terrifying as it may seem at first. Except for the tack store problem.

Comment

Also, I collected these links before I moved out here. Perhaps they would be helpful to you as well:

The Mid-America Combined Training Association
                        http://www.macta.info/index.html

Columbia Dressage and Combined Training Association
                        http://www.cdcta.org/

Missouri Dressage Association
                        http://www.missouridressage.org/Home.htm

Area IV Homepage
                        http://www.usea4.org/index.htm

Missouri Horse Show Association
                        http://www.missourihorseshowsassociation.com/

And I used Grand-Champion Horse Transportation to get Mocha shipped over here. They were great and took care of Mocha, calling me both days to let me know how he was doing.
                        http://www.grand-champion.com

Comment

Originally posted by Painted Wings View Post
                          Hey we are few but friendly. There is a great group in KC and then the crazies in St. Louis. I think there are those in KC that stalk some in St. Louis. Or at least that's what I read on the internet so it must be true.

Anyway, you'll be far from anywhere with the price of gas and diesel what it is. Still we have a good time with what we have.

The Queeny Park, Longview, Dunnabeck, Heritage, and Longview facilities are all great.
                          And don't forget the southernmost Area IV venue - Briar Fox Farm (it only feels like an Area V venue when the OKies take over). Only about 4 hours from the Ozarks!
                          Brock

Comment

• Original Poster

Anything close to Grundy County?

I am also looking for a reputable trainer in the area or close facility for work or schooling....

I guess the move is almost impossible to avoid if I want to stay with my other half.

As an unrelated question, are there any racetracks or training farms for race horses near Grundy County? I love to exercise racehorses and would love to find a local place to do that at also.

Comment

Finally chiming in!

abrownhorse, here..finally checking the COTH board after a bit of a hiatus. AKA..busy week at work and home.

Welcome to Area IV! I moved to Springfield, MO (SW part of the state) 5 years ago from Rocky Mount, NC. It took awhile to adjust to the longer drives, 2 day horse trials and lack of nearby fellow eventers. You'll learn to love it eventually!

I just googled Grundy county and found out it is in the northeastern/north central portion of the state. Eeeks!

Have you considered trying to get info on the Omaha, NE crowd and the Ames/Des Moines, IA crew? I think you'd be within a reasonable drive, though 150 to KC is pretty darn good, given the situation.

We're a large and diverse group of eventers, but it just makes for interesting weekends at the horse trials. Think family reunion! We chat on-line using the Area IV Yahoo Group a bit as well.

Would love to chat more with you!

Cynthia
                              http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

Comment

Painted1,
                                If you're that far north, I'd suggest contacting Camstock aka Cammie Stockhausen who is just over the border in Iowa. Her website, Field Day, is at www.camstock.net.

Your nearest recognized event may well be up at Catalpa Corners (www.catalpacorner.org) which is near Iowa City.
                                Brock

Comment

After looking up Grundy Cty, you're nearest recognized events will probably be Longview & Heritage in Kansas City area - should be easy drive since you'll be close to I-35. Welcome to Misery, I mean Missouri.

Comment

There is a good scene here and plenty of oppurtunities. There are many places to school XC and there are alot of good schooling shows that are cheap to get into the jumper ring. Good Luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

I appreciate all of the responses and kind suggestions for information links!

How do you feel a facility for training and selling sporthorses would fair? Do you all buy horses locally or nationwide?

THANKS again!

Comment

Hard to tell

The horse market is rather soft right now everywhere. I don't see how anyone makes any money off of horses. We are in dire need of good eventing trainers which is why it is a great thing that Holekamps did hosting the ICP program at their farm. Kansas City at least had some eventing trainers. It's tough in St. Louis. Hard to have much growth when there are no trainers to bring the people along. Then those people arent' shopping for horses. I think there is more market in dressage horses.
                                        -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Working...
                                        X