• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I hate all saddles! OR, anyone ride in an Albion Kontact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate all saddles! OR, anyone ride in an Albion Kontact

I'm still a bit unhappy with my "new" saddle (I've had it about a year), even after removing the knee blocks this summer. I just don't feel like it is forward enough for me, and I'm getting frustrated. While it is doing ok right now schooling over show jumps at home, I'm fairly certain that later this year, if Toby and I move up to prelim, I am going to really hate it.

In my time of observing saddles and trying a few, the only saddles I've liked that were forward enough for my funky conformation is a Ioldy and MAYBE a Chiberrta (sp?), but they are far and away out of my price range, and I know for a fact Toby hates them, and prefers English trees such as Stackhouses (year, right), Berney Bros (current), and....Albion???

I've been admiring a friend's Albion Kontact. She has a similar conformation to me (long from her hip to thigh) and struggles with the same issues (needs a very forward flap for shorter stirrups on xc). The Albion is VERY forward, practically Ioldy forward, and just has a nice, balanced look to it.

My new employer has one sitting in the tack room and I'm tempted to try it on Toby (if it isn't a wide, which it may be). Anyone else ride in these and can give an opinion? I have another friend with one, and both people RAVE about them. I've never really paid much attention, kinda only ever thinking of them as Albions as dressage saddles. Thoughts?
    Amanda

I had an albion close contact saddle for my old horse and found it very comfortable on her- it wasn't a Kontact so can't offer an opinion on that particular model, but the cc I had was a good saddle and wore like iron. Pelham Saddlery in NH tends to have a lot of Albion saddles, and they are easy to work with as far as trying saddles even if you are far away. I bought my albion from them originally and I shipped a few saddles back and forth. They'll ship 3 saddles at a time for one shipping price which is nice. My albion sat great on my old horse and I always felt very balanced. Unfortunately it couldn't be fitted well to my current horse and after trying for close to a year I finally gave up and bought a different saddle.

Comment

Isn't this what WFP rides?

I think the Albion Kontact or maybe Kontrol was developed with WFP. He's got the longest legs imaginable! I ride in an Albion (different model) and really like it, but it is not all that forward. I have short legs and don't jump too high I also know that the Albions are very popular with the foxhunting crowd. Good to ride in all day, forward enough for jumping, and secure enough for cx.

Frances
      Last edited by pheasantknoll; Jan. 13, 2012, 10:21 AM. Reason: add info on my saddle

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, WFP developed one of those two. I have to look at the website again.

For some reason I thought they were German until I pulled up the flap on one of my friend's Kontacts yesterday, and there, stamped in big, proud, letters it said "MADE IN ENGLAND."

The other reason I'm interested is that I think the price point is a little more realistic. There has been a flurry of saddle buying in my barn lately. CWDs and Devocouxs, and the prices blow me away. I think the Albions are much more realistic.
        Amanda

Comment

I have a similar issue...my Guy is small (14.1hh) and I have to hike up mu stirrups when I go xc. I can't hike them up as high as I'd like or My knee would go off the knee roll. I can't afford $$$ saddles but I do own an Albion dressage and love it! I have ridden in one of their jump saddles and also loved it. I have an English made saddle called Ideal that are also reasonable. I do believe they sell a more forward flap! I'm looking into them now.
          "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.”

Comment

I recently ordered an Albion Kontact Jewell, which is more of a hunter/jumper-style close contact saddle. I rode in the demo, but haven't received mine yet and hope I still love it when it gets here.

I did think the price point was pretty reasonable when compared to similar saddles, particularly because my horse is ridiculously hard to fit (this saddle was the only one where the panel shape really worked for him), and customization was easy. I would definitely look into it for that reason. The cost was about the same as a Black Country.

I have sort of the opposite conformation as you, so I'm not sure how much help I can be there. I have short legs and my horse has a longer shoulder, so I think we ordered the straighter flap for a jumping saddle and had it shortened an inch or so for me. But I know you can order them with forward and extra-forward flaps, too. If they can get one to fit me with my short squatty legs, I bet they can also get one to fit you!

I would also guess that the regular Kontact saddles, which are more cross-country saddles, probably come standard with more forward flaps than the one I ordered. They probably also have a deeper seat--the one I ordered has a pretty flat seat, but I actually really like that. I still felt very comfortable and very secure in it.

Comment

http://www.daviddyersaddles.co.uk/product-10590.htm

When I first saw this saddle by Albion and designed by W F P I got excited because it looks as simple as a flyover but with an Albion tree. When I searched elsewhere for the saddle it seems that now the off the rack version has huge thigh and calf blocks I Hate blocks!!! They always hit me in the wrong place.

I just want a simple forward saddle that fits tbs well, that has a narrow twist and no other stuff.

I would love to try the simple version of this saddle, but how can I do that if I can only find it in England?

Comment

It's William fox Pitts saddle. There's no way your femur is longer than his.
                I adore the kontact but couldn't afford it. I have a colliegate nobility instead and I like it about 80/ as much.
                Ps albions run narrow.
                www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I have an Albion Kontact dual flap and I love it. I ordered extra D rings in front and extra foam on the seat and it was almost 3k even.

One issue was that it took about three - four months to be made. By the time it came in I'd already decided I wasn't keeping the horse I bought it for!!! Good news is that it fits my current horse as well.

I haven't heard they run narrow. I have a medium and the horse also wears a 33 in Prestige.

It's super comfy and fits me better than any saddle has - I also have a long femur. With most saddles I try my knee is right at the front of the flap at flat length stirrups! The one thing that's weird about the Albion flap on me is that the bottom of the flap hits high up on my calf unless my stirrups are jacked up high. So sometimes I feel like if I had more leather to grip with my calf it would help me keep my leg steady.

The blocks are velcro so if you don't like them or want to move them it's easy. Since the rear blocks are small and don't have much velcro they fell off almost every time I jumped and were lost completely on my first xc course. I ended up replacing them with the blocks from my Prestige eventer and that has worked beautifully since they are made with a big leather flap that is also held in place by the girth.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

In the past, I tried a Kontrol. The only reason I didn't buy it was the seat size was WAY too small (a full inch). I have a mega long femur, and I could actually jack my stirrups up to near jockey length with no interference. The balance was lovely - even in its miniature state.

I also like the fact that they have a nice cutback head. The saddle I tried left a lot of room for my boy's sharkfin. In the future, I'll probably buy one of them.

Other saddles that I've liked (to give you an idea of whether my opinion is even valid for you) are the Barnsby Diablo and the Toulouse Jennine. The Jennine has Toulouse's new saddle adjustability system which is a major plus for me alongside how lovely it is to sit in.

Comment

I deeply loved my old albion Kontrol (before Kontact was made). I actually found it to ride like an equally comfortable, but way more secure version of the Berney Bros saddle. The leather was nice as well. I have heard newer albions are less uniformly absolute highest quality, but I still think they are great saddles. Have you check for other British saddles at www.hastilowusa.com. Their prices are really excellent and Annette (I think that is the right name) is super helpful. You can also try calling Trumbull Mountain, but I don't think you are going to find a deal there. Have you poked around over at Middleburg Tack Exchange. They have a dominus (which several friends with your leg configuration have liked in the past) for $795, a prestige nona garson for $1695, an Ainsley Chester for $595, and a Black Country Wexford for $1795, which I think could all be worth a look for you.
                      OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

• Original Poster

scubed, you are the greatest source of cool places to look for things!!! I did poke around at the Tack Exchange last week but really didn't see anything interesting (I wasn't really looking with any purpose, though). That Nona Garson always catches my eye and I HAVE sat in it, but still just not convinced it's going to be forward enough in true xc mode. The Wexford looks more promising...afraid it might be too big.

I have admired the Barnsby Diablo in the past. It may be worth a closer look. The Jenine, however, is not my idea of "extra forward".

As for the Albion, I am not a big fan of blocks, so I do like that the ones on this saddle are moveable. I wonder if they come in different sizes...I don't mind a TINY block/roll at the knee, as long as it isn't as horrible as the one that I had removed from my new-ish Berney.
                        Amanda

Comment

And almost certainly out of your current price range, but you might try test-riding one of these for the future http://www.laserequestrian.com/?p=38

They are made with a french thought to the flap placement (quite forward), but british tendencies to the tree/construction etc. Jeremy Beale is British, saddles made with lots of input from Susie and Gillian on the eventing side.

And I did not include the long flap county profit for $550 because it doesn't have blocks. I was pretty amazed at how secure the inexpensive profit I got as an interim saddle was http://www.middleburgtack.com/invent...9B321A0BE1BDA6

And another place with good prices on many nice saddles: http://www.yoursaddles.com/#/175-a-h/4542799405
                          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

IF you're not a fan of blocks I doubt if you'll like this saddle. I tried one and HATED it. It felt cheap and plasticy and I really didn't like the way the blocks lock you in. I've now eventually ordered a prestige versailles in an extra forward flap. Lovely saddle.

Comment

I have the Albion Kontrol and I really like it. Fits almost all of my horses. AND it is forward enough for my femur (I'm 6ft tall). Never tried the Kontact, but I love my Kontrol.
                              Last edited by TheBrightSide06; Jan. 13, 2012, 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling again!
                              Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Comment

I ride in a Wexford, and it has knee and calf blocks sewn on to the sweat flap. You can't move them or remove them - unless you have a saddler remove them I guess. That said they don't bother me at all, I hardly ever feel the the calf block unless something is amiss and then usually I am glad for it's support. The knee blocks are not in my way at all unless I jack up my stirrups then I feel them and I like their support - I have bad knees.

However, I don't think it's an extremely forward riding saddle at all. It's good for me because I do all three phases in it and only jump max 2'6" to 2'9" and I want a comfy secure armchair to ride in. I think I'd want something else for bigger jumps.

But who knows, it might work perfectly for you. I don't think I have a really long femur though and sometimes I find myself wishing I could shortern the irons a bit more on the Wexford and I can't because my knee would end up in front of the flap and just not situated properly. I do love my saddle though, it's the ultimate in comfort, balance and security.
                                2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the info, VCT. This is good to know.

Who knows. I may chuck this Berney and have Berney make me a new one and make sure Tom Berney makes it VERY, extra forward. We tried to do this one in a monoflap, but more forward than their current one, and I just don't think it came out right. It isn't HORRIBLE, I just don't love it My old one was perfect and I miss it.
                                  Amanda

Comment

I had trouble finding a saddle to accomodate my long femur amd my horse's back this year. I did find it though! It's a Mike Corcoran Event saddle http://www.mikecorcoransaddlery.com/saddles.htm . It does have thigh and calf blocks, which my trainer wanted me to have, but I do not feel "locked in" with them. I can do flat work easily enough in the saddle with almost dressage length stirrups.

It was a tough and long road to find a saddle forward enough, but not to the extreme. I love my saddle and my horse loves it too!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Heliodoro View Post
                                      I had trouble finding a saddle to accomodate my long femur amd my horse's back this year. I did find it though! It's a Mike Corcoran Event saddle http://www.mikecorcoransaddlery.com/saddles.htm . It does have thigh and calf blocks, which my trainer wanted me to have, but I do not feel "locked in" with them. I can do flat work easily enough in the saddle with almost dressage length stirrups.

It was a tough and long road to find a saddle forward enough, but not to the extreme. I love my saddle and my horse loves it too!
                                      That's pretty nice! Price range? The blocks aren't bad. The knee block/roll looks similar to what I like and have had in the past.
                                      Amanda

Comment

I HAVE 4 ALBIONS. 2 DRESSAGE SADDLES AND THE KONTACT AND KONTROL. I LOVE THEM ALL
                                        www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Comment

Working...
                                        X