• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Does anyone have a hawk trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a hawk trailer?

Figured I'd post here because after all, I have never seen so many trailers before at a horse show in my life! My mom and I were in shock when we pulled into Chatt Hills and there must have been a trailer for every horse that was there.

I have been doing some research, it appears that Hawk trailers are a good bang for the buck. Seem to last a long time, good customer service, great prices. Plus fiberglass roof with steel frame to keep it very cool during the summer, and being in the Southeast means some hot summer days of trailering!

I have always hauled with someone else, and recently have had issues finding rides to places when I want to go to a clinic or off the property and no one else is going. Very frustrating!!! So we are now looking into trailers.

Looking for:
    -2H
    -Bumper Pull
    -Straight load
    -at least a small tack room/dressing room
    -7'6 ceiling preferable...I have a big horse and a little one

here is the trailer i was looking at:
    http://www.happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=1

Also looking at merhow, equispirit, sundowner. Any tips? Was looking mostly for used...but around 10k new sounds pretty darn good.

I bought new a Hawk 2H straight load bumper pull w/ tack and rumber floor in 2006. I loved it and never had any problems other that the striping started to peel. I sold it in 2010 only to move up to a 4H gooseneck. Would have bought another Hawk but I found a used Custom Fab at a really good price.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Comment

Yes, I bought a brand new 2009 2-horse straight load ramp, with large tack and rumber floors. Love it! It is warmblood size, and pulls really well. I did a ton of research on trailers before we bought one and decided that I wanted a Hawk after doing all the comparisons. And, its worth the same today as what I paid for it 2 1/2 years ago The only other trailer i would like would be the Hawk in the same set up, but with the front off-load ramp as well....but sadly that one costs a bit more.

Comment

• Original Poster

OOhh happy reviews! yay!

feetofclay- how much did the rumber set you back? if you don't mind me asking

Comment

Hawks are really nice trailers for the money
          I love mine
          Equispirits are very similar and a bit more expensive. They are the same trailer structurally (my recollection is that equisprit is a spin off of hawk and they were at least at some point related companies). Whenever equispirit comes up with a new feature they have it exclusively for a couple of years and then it shows up in the hawk- at least that is how it usd to be. So when i say they are similar, i mean really similar
          Also on the hawk- you may not need the extra tall. Whatever their standatd height is was pleqnty for my 17 h mare who did a great impression of a giraffe when she wanted to
          There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

I have a 2 horse straight load bumper pull Hawk with a dressing room, and Rumber floor. I bought it new in 2004, and use it a lot, both short and long distance.

I am very happy with it. It is holding up very well.
            Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Trail-et was Hawk's 'mother' company. Accordig to my local Hawk dealer, they split off a while back but Trail-et is out of business now. They are both great brands, and identical.

Comment

I bought mine brand new in 2006 in Indianapolis and it is the biggest piece of crap ever. Within 60 days of leaving the dealership with it...the silver paint started liftingin huge pieces off of the roof and striping on the sides. I called the dealership and the woman that owns it said I had to take it up with Hawk..I sent pics and called them and they said they only had a 30 day warranty on the paint...really? 2 years ago I had the roof painted white-but all of the silver striping is practically gone and peeled off.
                There is a laundry list of things that have gone wrong with it as well as the paint...
                1. dressing room leaks from the floor and they can't figure out why.

2. Goodyear tires on it got a warped bubble in them after no time at all and when I took to get one replaced-they all need to be replaced because they were not heavy duty enough tires (with enough "ply) for the intended weight (the trailer is a warmblood size...and even the spare that came with it was no better than a car tire-I had no idea.

3. All of the wheels (the medal part inside of the tires) have completly rusted and I have had to get them sanded and repainted.

4. All of the doors and windows are very hard to open and close...have sprayed tons of silicone spray on them and they still are a PITA.

5. Ceilings in both the dressing room and the main trailer, have these sound rust spots all over them with this "sticky" residue that even the dealership could not get off...looks terrible and I have noticed it in other peoples Hawks.

6. Much of the trailer that is steel has rusted...hinges on doors and windows...tongue and ball/hitch area (even though I keep it covered at all times when the trailer is not in use.

Overall, I have been very disappointed with my Hawk...all my friends here in KY laugh because they all know how OCD I am with all of my stuff-and my trailer looks like a huge hunk of junk that I don't take care of and that is so far from the truth. Next time-I will buy a 4 Star

Comment

My Hawk is awesome and I love it. It is a 2007 2H bumper straight load, with dressing room. It has NO problems, none. Couldn't be happier. I think you'll find a bum steer experience with any brand of trailer, but everyone I know who has either a Trail-et or Hawk is very satisfied.

YMMV
                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                    I have a 2 horse straight load bumper pull Hawk with a dressing room, and Rumber floor. I bought it new in 2004, and use it a lot, both short and long distance.

I am very happy with it. It is holding up very well.
                    Ditto here except mine is a 2009 model. It's a lovely trailer... have had a few problems with a short in the upper running lights but other than that, not a complaint, and my somewhat claustrophobic, tiny mare loves how big and airy it is.
                    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I find it much easier to transport my hawks by putting them in their cages and taking them in the car. Saves a great deal of money vs buying them a trailer. Besides I have yet to find a trailer with a built in perch.

Comment

I have a 2010 Hawk. 2H BP wDR. Love it! No problems whatsoever and I use it a lot! Before this one I had the same but a 2001, bought that one used in '05 for $7000, sold it 5 years later for same price.

With the exception of the post above I've never heard much negative about them. I got mine from Risa at Happy Trails, she has A+ customer service in my experience.

Comment

I have an Equispirit that was built by Hawk in 2002. Mine has been great although my dressign room windows leak in heavy rain if I'm driving through it and then gets on the floor. I doubt your floor is leaking. Water normally flows to the lowest point. If you had the roof repainted is it possible the painters removed calking? When we had a motorhome my dad was always on the roof sealing it up. If water is coming through a roof vent, it will find a way to go down and can follow all sorts of creative paths to get there.
                          Fresh, Frozen & ISO Warmblood Breedings FB Group

Comment

We have a 1997 2 horse w/ tack room bumper pull Hawk and have not had any problems. We probably average one trip per week with it and have for a long time.
                            A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

On my 2nd Hawke can't say enough good things and ZERO negotive...horse friendly and inviting...tows like a dream, tons of room, well thought out.

Holds their re-sale value well....I have a NY Elite X Tall X wide with big dressing room, built in tack trunk and shelf...and you can add those after market from Hawke....

1st one was w/O dresing room....still see it locally doing race and returns from track....

Next one will be a 2 plus 1 gooseneck...but I will need a new truck 1st....

Comment

Originally posted by back in the saddle View Post
                                I have an Equispirit that was built by Hawk in 2002. Mine has been great although my dressign room windows leak in heavy rain if I'm driving through it and then gets on the floor.
                                That's right! I had the same problem with the sliding windows in my old trailer (I had forgotten about that). Switched to the louvres and no more leaks. I had my new trailer built with the louvred windows up front. Also, for FL heat, I had them put drop down windows (instead of sliders) at the head. Love that, lots more air-flow! And it wasn't too much additional $.

Comment

I had a new one built working with Risa at Happy Trails Trailers. I am just so in love with it! It's a 2+1 and I had a lot of the options built in- blanket bars, extra saddle racks, tack box, coat barn, fans, water tanks and more. I have the double doors in the back which are amazing when I have lots of horses on. Really gives you extra safety to be able to keep one door closed and back the other horse out.

Everytime we go out we remark that we don't know how we lived without this trailer. The 2+1 feature is amazing. I haul a lot of Tb's so I typically walk them up the ramp and then back them in. Much easier for me to do when I am alone that loading from the back.

Risa was excellent to deal with. I highly recommend her.

Here is a picture of my trailer
                                  http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...21d8a1c591.jpg
                                  http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Event1- there was a recent thread about hawk trailers and peeling paint. Hawk stood behind an 8 yo trailer and reprinted for a minimal cost. I love my Hawk, it is a 2006 and I have not had any complaints!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys!

I was hoping to find one used in the Southeast. I'm in Memphis, TN. Don't know where to look :/ The closest ones I have found are in South Carolina.

Comment

Check out the equispirit website. They have a list of used Equispirits who were made by Hawk.
                                        Fresh, Frozen & ISO Warmblood Breedings FB Group

Comment

Working...
                                        X