• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Turnout for the Event horse-peeves and others....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnout for the Event horse-peeves and others....

So the thread on the H/J forum got me to thinking (well, mostly it got me to thinking that according to them, I must look like Liza Minnelli on a horse ). What do you i.e. Eventers consider no-no's about turnout and what do you like to see? I'll start:

-I braid for EVERYTHING! I like a neatly braided, well-polished horse, even for schooling shows/events.
    -Neatly tucked away hair. (Flame suit zipping) If it requires a show-bow for long hair, so be it.
    -I absolutly, blatently refuse to clip my horses ears. It's their natural fly protection system, so let it be.
    -Anything other than "Dressage Whites" for that phase. There is a certain BNT around here that wears tweed instead. Oy.
    -Dirty horses are unacceptable at shows. Brush them, clean them - take them to the carwash if you have to but by God, get them clean.
    -Ill-fitting tack. I hate leather straps flying everywhere.

BTW - I love rust-colored breeches. I wish they were mandatory for everything. I'm sorry....was I digressing?

Alright - let the games begin!

My pet peeve in eventing? Tons of gear that isn't really needed for the horse, but put on b/c it "makes them look like an eventer."

(I'm certainly not talking about people whose horses need certain equipment.)
    Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.

My favorite podcasts: Overdue, The Black Tapes, Tanis, Rabbits, How Did This Get Made?, Up and Vanished.

Comment

Shiny clean horse, rider neat and clean.
      That's about all that's required.
      I half roach my horse's mane so I don't braid and I like tan breeches, but I still get 'nice turnout' comments. Sometimes I think they are looking for something nice to say.

I have sometimes goggled at the number and variety of places where it is possible to attach brightly colored vet wrap. But as long as I don't have to do it it's ok with me.
      Nina's Story
      Epona Comm on FB

Comment

I read the posts on the HJ forum also and began to remember why my girls left hunters and love eventing. We don't have deep pockets and buy clothes and tack that are closeouts, used etc. We clip and braid outselves (I mean the horses are clipped and braided by us, although we might look pretty clipped and braided) and try to be neat, but we are certainly not fashionable and don't sport expensive tack. But I digress, pet peeves -- bunched up saddle pads. That can't be comfortable for the horse. Bits that are too large or small for the horse. It looks as if you just borrowed something at the last minute. I can tolerate alot if someone still rides well for their level.

Comment

My horse is clean, my tack is clean, my gear is plain but appropriate, I think. I am NOT changing breeches for the dressage phase, though. Light beige for all three has to just be acceptable. I second JustFive, one appeal of eventing is that regarding gear, it's not like a clique of fashion-obsessed teenage girls on speed. If I wanted that, I'd ride H/J. I didn't really like the 9th grade the first time around, so why would I sign up for more of it? (I know, I need a fire extinguisher, flame away)

I haven't braided yet, going elementary at unrecognized shows, but as my mastery of show logistics improves, I'll add it to the process.
          I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
          I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Personally, I cringe at braiding with bands. If you can do it well enough that it looks like a sewn-in braid job, kudos. Go ahead. But if they look like something Willy Wonka would be proud of, just pull it and leave it alone.

I wear white breeches for all 3 phases (On PURPOSE!). I braid for everything. I'm conservative in my XC colors, and don't use a colored pad for stadium (and I use a black pad if the horse is white). I want(and WILL have by competition time) a charcoal hunt coat. However, if you don't do/have these things I won't hold it against you.

The only things that really bother me are things like NEON xc colors (unfortunately, a younger friend of mine went with reflective caution-style neon ORANGE on her grey mare). It makes it REALLY hard to pay attention to anything but the bright color. If you do go with neon - please make sure all the pieces are the same color, not lighter/darker shades for each.

And, horses that are booted, tacked, and vetrapped to their eyeballs to go BN/N. You don't see many of those when you get past Novice. I do sort of resent the Myler Combo bit trend... and see a number of horses/riders that don't need to/shouldn't be using it. OH - using a white pad on a white(grey-ed out) horse, making the horse look dingy.

Other than that - clean your horse, shine your boots and give your saddle and bridle a good soaping. I'm a minimalist when it comes to tack, I don't like having to put on/take off fifteen different pieces for each ride (especially at a 1-day!).

Comment

Totally agree on the equipment overload. I feel bad for horses who head out to XC with so many straps going every which way that they look like bondage victims (with bright-colored tape attached in every conceivable place!) and bits that look like they were meant to stop a freight train. Particularly at the lower levels, if your horse needs that much gear to either stop him or protect him while jumping a tiny fence, maybe it isn't the right sport for him.
              I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

That's funny that people think white breeches are the most proper color for dressage- I think tan looks lovely!

My pet peeves:

-Useless tack and gadgets
                -Half-pulled or half-clipped tails (aka The Bush Tail)
                -No gloves for dressage
                -Dirty horses
                -Vetrap over Woof boots
                -Ill-fitted breastcollars and breastplates (do you want your horse to not be able to breathe?)
                -Flash nosebands that are too low
                The list could go on and on...

And I'm not too picky about braids. If I see someone with a horse who has the "Circus Horse" braids (sticking straight up off their neck), I just laugh. I think most people try their best to braid. It's so cute when you can tell the kids braided themselves!
                In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. -Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Lori B:
                  I second JustFive, one appeal of eventing is that regarding gear, it's not like a clique of fashion-obsessed teenage girls on speed. If I wanted that, I'd ride H/J. I didn't really like the 9th grade the first time around, so why would I sign up for more of it?
                  You had me ROLLING!

Comment

Here are some of mine, though I agree with most of the above:

-Dirty tack
                    -Bushy tails that look like they've been rubbed raw and make the horse look like he's got a brush bunny clinging to him
                    -People who pick one or two obnoxious XC colors and go ALL OUT (as in EVERY conceivable piece of tack/clothing being that one or those two colors). Honestly, it looks clownish.
                    -Dressage in a stock tie but no jacket
                    -Dirty saddle pads
                    -Cheap, shiny, ugly galloping boots (extra credit if they're a horrid, matching color)
                    -Braid/pony tail, even if it's for Stadium or XC. It looks sloppy and unprofessional. Showbow it if you need to, but contain your hair.
                    -Loud helmet covers for stadium (I think this one is against the rules anyways, so it REALLY shouldn't be allowed)

I'll post more when I think of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSpike:
                      And I'm not too picky about braids. If I see someone with a horse who has the "Circus Horse" braids (sticking straight up off their neck), I just laugh. I think most people try their best to braid. It's so cute when you can tell the kids braided themselves!
                      Oh god! I'm guilty of "Circus Horse" braids and I'm 33!! If you saw my handiwork, you'd think a ten year old did them. But, I'd just like to say in my defense, that some horses have really thick manes and if you refuse to pull them as I do, then it can be tricky to get it all organized

I completely agree about too much equipment and too much color coordination. Those are probably my biggest peeves.
                      Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

Comment

I don't mind much other people's bad braiding jobs. It's not a glaring faux pas, and it at least shows that they tried. And they'll figure out soon enough that to make better braids they just need to pull down more as they braid and tie.

Comment

Actually........ and not to get any hackles up but.... white breeches realy should not be worn for dressage at the lower levels. At least that is what I havehad drilled in my head my entire life. No one in our barn ever where white until Intermediate and only with your shadbelly.
                          As for other turnout.... spotlessly clean horse with painted feet, very clean tack, sparkling spurs, stirrups and bit, and if you are going to wear brass......POLISH it! I do believe that is my pet peeve, nothing worse then seeing someone with a nice clean horse, etc and they trot down center line and their browband is dirty and tarnished. Oh well....JMO.
                          Braiding ...I use to braid for EVERYTHING, but now I don't braid below training level and especially if it isn't a bigger deal event.
                          "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

Oh, gee, it looks like I'm going to offend just about everyone here on at least some particulars. What the heck, I have all the apple cider vinegar people wanting to assassinate me over on Horse Care, might as well dig myself a little deeper!

--I always braid for dressage for recognized HTs. Unrecognized? Probably, but sometimes I don't bother.

--I have really short hair and typically don't need to worry about it but I do like to see neat hair in a hairnet. (leftover from my H/J days)

--I clip my horses' ears for big shows. Not down to the skin, but enough to get rid of the worst of the fuzz and the big tufts at the bottom especially. They wear fly masks with ears. They also don't seem to be pestered much from what I've observed when I do this. I clip muzzles all the time, too. Just don't like whiskery muzzles!

--I actually morally object to WHITE breeches, period. I mean, could ANYTHING make less sense? They're "frowned upon" in eventing for ladies, actually--forget the actual language in the rulebook but it is NOT 100% proper.

--I always go when I see the BN horses decked out with enough gear to go around Badminton, including overgirths, FOUR bell boots, humongous bits, giant studs, etc...I am, however, guilty of using an overgirth when I was at Novice level. I soon got over myself and am embarrassed about it now.

--I braid with rubber bands, always. Can do a horse in 20-25 minutes and they look GREAT if I do say so myself. Also doesn't trash their manes and I can pop them out by the time I walk back to the trailer.

--And I'm sorry to all the little girls out there, but GOD I cannot stand spray paint or glitter on a horse!! Yecch, give the poor beast some dignity!
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

I don't know about you guys...

I really hate all the flashy colours.... *ick*

Why couldn't EVERYONE in the horse world stick to tan/brown/black/white.

.................. "Anyone seen my lime green polos with hippy flowers on them?? "

"They're probably with the pink bell boots!!"
                              Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

Comment

I love to braid, so I sew in braids whenever I get the chance. Usually don't for really casual schooling shows, but put them in for most everything else.

I clip the fluff off of his ears, and his muzzle at the big shows, but that's it.

I hate my hairnet, but use it.

I ride in beige breeches, all 3 phases.

The glitter, vetwrap and neon can be a bit loud, but dammit, if I was 13, my horse would be a glittery mess.

Sloppy tack and dirty horses make me nuts. Show some pride please.

Comment

Dressage:
                                  -braided mane
                                  -clean untangled tail!
                                  -correctly fitted matching tack
                                  -appropriate clothing (clean, light breeches, spurs if needed, black gloves, black jacket, helmot)

XC:
                                  -i absolutely HATE bright colors (pink, lime green, yellow..ugh)
                                  -Not too much extra stuff
                                  -whip
                                  -spurs
                                  -gloves
                                  -clean horse and rider
                                  -SHIRTS TUCKED IN!! I hate it when ppl leave their shirts untucked...it looks so sloppy!

SJ:
                                  Basically the same as Dressage..... I like the manes braided too

-Clipped whiskers (not eyes or inside of ears)
                                  -polished hooves
                                  -squeaky clean horse and tail
                                  - no dandruff
                                  -polished with some face highlighter for dressage

I am an obsessive horse owner who likes her horse to look very clean and conservative. I try to make it look like we are at Rolex (which we all should without the top hat and tails!). I believe every competition should be treated as if it were rolex....my first event was Rolex for me!

Comment

Honestly, I don't really care what color breeches you wear, as long as the rider's clothing is neat and well fitted, hair contained, etc. I won't be wearing white breeches again until I lose the "Michelin Man" look, and until I do a recognized event again. I just wear tan at schooling/unrecog shows. White breeches are just an invitation for green slobber, anyway.

CLEAN, neat, well-fitted tack. Why in the word would you go in the ring with a dirty bridle? I also hate ill fitting or dirty saddle pads. They are cheap...buy one that fits!

I only braid for recognized events, and will usually pay someone because I braid like crap. If you can't braid worth a doo-doo, either go in with a neatly pulled mane, or pay someone to do it. Nothing tackier than braids sticking everywhere.

I always trim my horses up...ears (leave "tufts" on the inside to repel bugs), bridle path, muzzle, under chin, neaten up legs, etc. I think it really sharpens up the appearance. I rarely, if ever, do any sort of hoof oil, because by the time your done warming up in a sand ring it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. Horses should have a clean coat that "blooms," white markings clean, and should be in good weight.

And, of course, the poor BN horse on x-c decked out in a running martingale, gag bit, kineton noseband, booted all around with tape out the wazoo...you know what I mean! If someone wants to do bright colors have at it, but I prefer my more subtle red and black.

One of my biggest peeves is the rider who blames their horse for a mistake. Granted, sometimes the horse may play a role in it, or really be having an off day, but who is the dang driver? I've seen too many riders get mad about a refusal when it was clearly their fault, and not the horse's.

And for heaven's sake, go out and have fun! If you've had three good rides but still placed out of the ribbons, so what? Pat yourself on the back and give your horse a carrot for a job well done.

Comment

I'm going to approach this from a different direction than most of you have, and I hope you don't mind. One thing that I LOVE about Eventing is the colors you see on XC. I think it's great that a little girl (or a big one for that matter ) can express their personality through their horse's tack. It's just one phase, and it's part of what makes Eventing unique. That does NOT mean you will EVER see me galloping around XC with anything pink or lime green on my horse. I do think it's cool to have that option though.

On a different note, it really annoys me to see people at recognized HTs not braid for dressage. Regardless of level. Unrecognized: not a big deal. I wear my coat in dressage even if they are waved (unless told I can't). It's 3 min of my life. Warm up without it and have someone hand it to you before A.

It is my opinion (and I KNOW that there are special cases, please don't freak out on me) that if a horse can't keep his feet under him going BN/N, he doesn't need to be an eventer. Studs are understandable for horses who may have a medical condition, or in EXTREME weather, but to go 350mpm over 2'6" jumps doesn't seem like you need huge studs to keep upright. Just my opinion.

Comment

I'm guilty of the bright colours, but I like to think that navy downplays the pink and makes it almost classy.

I personally hate pink alone, and on horses other than greys (I detested myself for using it on a chestnut and bay - but hey, thats what I owned...) and I don't like when bright colours are used for shock value or whatever it is. I just liked pink, it was unique at the time, and the combo looked good on my horse in my opinion.

Pink/navy

Personally, my peeves are:
                                        *unbraided horses
                                        *braids on the wrong side (but that I do understand more - it's just a peeve of mine anyways)
                                        *"shadow rolls" to add colour (actually just halter fuzzies)
                                        *this girl near me vet wraps her bridle and entire breastplate. It looks awful. So that.
                                        *Vet wrap AND tape on boots. Use one or the other - vetwrap can have a PURPOSE, but I don't like it just for colour.
                                        *coloured pads and boots in stadium (I love trim and matching show shirts but hate too much more than that)
                                        *I personally hate those colourful c.o.'s I think they are (the blue and lilac etc)
                                        *Too much bit on low level horses and riders. I understand there are exceptions, but if you combine a lot of bit with these other things listed, it's difficult to conclude you are an experienced and professional (I don't mean that literally) rider.
                                        *Fly bonnets in cold weather.
                                        *General tack infractions that aren't neccessarily caught. Elastic breastplates and white rubber reins in dressage. I hate when people don't know some pretty clear rules.

Comment

Working...
                                        X