• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Let's Hear it for FUN Horses!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Hear it for FUN Horses!

I'm just now getting back into riding/eventing after taking 9 years off. I have 2 children under 7. I work. My husband travels a LOT. I thought riding was lost to me and I gave up. I had neither the time nor money to do it. Or that's what I thought.

Then my friend and my mom kicked me in the butt. They said, so maybe you can't afford a nice horse, lessons, shows, clinics and maybe you don't have the time to do it "right". But don't quit. You can still ride. With their encouragement I bought a super laid-back but very brave and willing appaloosa. He may not have much of a tail but he never says No. He may have speckled eyes but he can stand in the field when my kids are sick or life gets too busy.

Today I had one heck of a great ride and have been floating on air. He makes riding fun. He fits into my life.

The only reason I post this - is because so many times I see posts about people riding horses they don't enjoy or worrying about how they're going to fit it all in. I post this to say don't give up. How about the posts about conformation critiques for lower level horses? I get that it's educational - I like them - but what I appreciate most (for me) is a brain. So I post this to say look for horses that fit your lifestyle. Because it sure is nice to have a worry-free, fun horse. And that's something I didn't even know I needed.

--- I don't think I need to say that NONE of this applies to serious competitors. This is for the person who is on a budget, is over-worked and is trying their hardest and it's still not enough: There is a way.

I have my Irish Draught mare back from training and she has been giving me confidence as I try to get back in shape and I get off smiling every ride. Shes not an UL horse but shes safe and willing
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Fun Horses

I couldn't agree more with the OP. My "Christmas Pony" is a 7-year-old, 16'2" Andalusian/TB cross. We are just getting to know one another, but my coach and the UL rider who helped me find him agree that he's the perfect pony for a very intense professional who has limited time to ride and wants to have fun and be competitive at the lower levels. Will we ever go prelim? Maybe. But that's not my focus at this point. I'm looking forward to bringing him out at BN in a couple of months. And I'm extremely pleased he isn't a nut when I'm forced to be a weekend warrior because of my work schedule.
      Last edited by Caballista; Jan. 4, 2012, 06:04 PM. Reason: typo
      Early to ride!

Comment

I have one - a little Appaloosa mare! She is just a blast to ride and such a good girl too! Not fancy but sane, safe and a ton of fun. She is worth her weight in gold! Gotta love the fun ones!

Comment

OP, I love your post. We seem to share the same philosophy.

Years ago I decided to quit showing/eventing for various reasons (money, too much time away from my family, money, etc). And I couldn't be happier. My little, bay, non-descript, conformationally-challenged Ottb mare is FUN to ride, and we do all sorts of things that we both enjoy, such as competing in Hunter paces, riding on the beach, taking flat/jumping lessons or clinics...etc. etc. She totally fits into my lifestyle. She *could* be eventing at least at Training with the right rider, but who cares if she's not. We're having fun all the same!
          I do need a horse that has a bit of a quirky side, or I get bored, and she totally fits my bill!
          Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

I've got one too! Wonderful pony who is a saint. Gives me 100% every ride, which may have been yesterday or two weeks ago! I've got limited time to ride him due to my school schedule and the young mare I'm bringing along. But it keeps me sane to be able to get on something and just go. If he doesn't sell I plan to take him Training in the spring and bop around over some prelim stuff. But until then I'm just going to enjoy him. Cheer to the fun ones!

Comment

I LOVE this thread!!!!

A good friend of mine has MY very talented, OTTB at her place getting ready for the next event season...me? I just want to ride, learn, hang out with friends, go trail riding, ...compete? Yeah, maybe, if I can fit it all in with working full time, working 2 extra gigs (writing units for the state dept of ed for mathematics and tutoring in our after-school program) to pay for it all. The MOST wonderful mare - my twin in age, personality, attitude, and willingness has miraculously fallen into my life (thanks to friend who is happily jockeying around very talented OTTB this spring )...I'll have to add that for our advanced age, Perfect Pony and I are sorta cute () in an advanced age sorta way . The bottom line is YES, I'm at long last having fun...me and PP bonded in a nanosecond, sized each other up, grinned and life looks fantastic.

Thanks for starting this thread - let's keep each other posted on our FUN - that may include ribbons, it may include long trail rides, amazing or sucky lessons, nights in the barn just hanging out listening to music and enjoying that great smell of a pony's neck and the sound of hay getting crunched, and in my case, may include chopping ice in the mornings (hey, GA has it's "moments" of winter! )

FUN ROCKS!!!!!
              ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

My fun is a 13.2 mutt pony who loves to jump and does whatever I ask on the trail. She is bratty and stubborn otherwise but what fun!!! And she gives me confidence as a re rider (44) I love her!!

Comment

I'm all for it! Lucky enough to have two of them in my backyard, one is semi-retired; the other, after some rough spots, is stepping right up to take up the mantle of all-around fun fellow.
                  "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Bravo!!! This is what horses are all about.

Comment

Yay! Good for you getting an appropriate and fun horse to enjoy. While I am someone who does a lot of competing (during our fairly short season up North) I appreciate the value of FUN horses. I have 2. I can trail ride them (WTC, alone or with others) jump them, gallop around x-c, do dressage, throw them in the trailer and go somewhere with them. Both are very sensible mares with a great work ethic. I bought them because of their temperament. I think they are both lovely but they are far from well-bred. One is an OTTB cheapee and the other is what I call my "Wal-Mart Warmblood" heh, heh, (an unregistered Trak stallion x Tb mare)

I have seen numerous riders get something fancier then their previous horse, only to end up being too intimidated to ride the horse. In fact, there is a horseless college student that rides about 4-6 horses at our barn because the owners aren't riding them. Good for her--but kind of weird for so many people to pay board on horses they don't enjoy or aren't capable of riding.

Comment

Bravo indeed!!

I am at a similar place in life.... although much of life revolves around horses, very little of that involves riding ( I am a vet, we breed). We ( meaning DH and I) have been discussing making some changes as we are not getting any younger- and our children are getting more self-sufficient. More time in the saddle for Mama is about to become a priority ( and less work!) My fun partner though is a broodmare- and needs to focus on that as she is one of the best of her breed around ( yep prejudiced- rightfully so) - so I have been looking - and think I have found a new "fun" partner. A BIG goal for me would be a BN horse trial! A hunter pace, a fun show, a trail ride, a clinic etc. are my goals. I used to show very competitively - and now I just want to maybe jump around an unrated show or do a combined test. We raise Connemaras and travel quite far to go to our breed shows when we can- they are few and far between and FUN! Nothing better than watching a bunch of people who have driven 5-10 hours to show compete to the bitter end for the egg and spoon challenge trophy!!
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cool-S...m/251196806403

Comment

Why can't having a fun horse to ride apply to "serious competitors?" If we're serious, are we not allowed to have fun and enjoy our riding and the horses with which we do it? Why can't we celebrate ALL fun horses?

I consider myself a "serious competitor" (or at least I try to be...usually fall short), but I also consider my horse an epic BLAST to ride. He's probably not everyone's cup of tea (definitely not one you'd let sit in the field...there was a reason I was told "he's not really an amateur's horse" when I tried him!), but he suits me, my life, and my outlook on life. Is he not worthy of a mention in a thread about fun horses?! Just because I don't work a "real" job, have a husband and kids to juggle (just 16 other horses and all the humans that go with them), does that mean he's less fun, less worthy of the s**t eating grin I have on my face after a great jump school, or the fact that he cracks my ass up as he ping-pongs down the road on a hack? He's fun. He deserves at least an honorable mention.

All that being said, I give a hearty HERE HERE to the OP!!! I wish more of the people I run across in this sport who DO have to make giant sacrifices and balance their time very carefully would look for horses they can truly, completely, and totally enjoy and actually DO things with! I feel sad for people who end up with too much horse or too green a horse and they never seem to get anywhere or do anything fun with them. Find someone you can truly, totally enjoy. That's why we do this, after all! Even us "serious competitors."
                          Amanda

Comment

PS- There is a very big spot in my heart for appies.
                            Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                              PS- There is a very big spot in my heart for appies.
                              No pun intended?! LOL
                              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cool-S...m/251196806403

Comment

• Original Poster

I keep thanking God that my horse has the spots and is missing a tail -- because if he was solid bay and a smidge taller I couldn't have afforded him. Above all else, he's taught me that a WILLING, BRAVE horse is worth their weight in gold no matter how dinky their trot.

WILLING -- it had been 8 years since I last jumped and on a whim, I decided to pop around a course that was set up. The jumps were only 2'3" but I buried him at some, totally missed my lines at other times and was laughing so hard at myself I could hardly see. He just kept on trucking with his ears pricked looking for the next jump. Cheerfully trying whatever I ask = priceless.

BRAVE - the other day an up-down group lesson was in the indoor ring -- all boys -- playing follow-the-leader on ponies. Very cute, but fairly loud as little boys can be. Two women at the barn chose not to ride that day -- afraid of what might their fancy horses might do. Not only was I able to ride - I joined in the lesson to teach them some new "figures". I had a blast. The women kept saying, "What a great horse you have!" I thought yes he is - because when I DO get a chance to come out to the barn - I can count on a fun ride - no matter I choose to do. Dressage=fun, jumping=fun, trail rides (75% of our rides)=FUN!!!! And I've had horses in the past that I couldn't have said that about -- horses that were spooky, lazy horses, hot, tense OTTBS, and even a horse that would decide he was done and stop dead then rear up and buck on the way down if you touched his side or mouth.

so yes! HOORAY FOR FUN HORSES!!!

Comment

My mare was a hosebeast tonight... (forward? what's that, Stupid Monkey?) but really, most of the time she's awesome. And letting her canter over a pole fixed the forward problem

Thanks, OP, for reminding us what it's really about.
                                  You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I LOVE my OTTB I think she is fun personified!!! She puts a smile on my face and makes my spirit soar.

Comment

Raising my hand!

I have one of the super fun horses! We have evented, tried a competitive trail ride (and won!), open show, games, trail rides, costume class, barrel racing, pole bending, he did a polocrosse clinic with my daughter and was her PC mount. He is safe, fun, learns quickly, and always tries to please. He was also used as a conformation demo horse at PC camp to teach the kids all the conformation faults, my poor pony!
                                      But his mind is what attracted me when I bought him and I love him to pieces. Oh yeah, he's an Ay-rab!
                                      ___________________________________________
                                      "Another member of the Barefoot Eventers Clique"

Comment

• Original Poster

I love hearing about all these other FUN horses! Especially the ones in unique wrappers.

I love how the fun horses fit our lifestyles. YB - I think your horse totally qualifies bc he fits your lifestyle! I guess originally I was just thinking of the people like me, who thought they could only be happy if they were riding a "real" horse at real competitions. You know - the tall, dark bay, fancy horse that will take you to the upper levels. I'll be honest, it was hard to swallow my pride and say, THIS is the horse for me. THIS horse - being marketed to 4H, is the one I need in my life. I'm not going to Rolex on this one. I will not inspire others with our brilliance and garner attention from famous trainers. But it doesn't mean I've failed. It just means that I know who I am - right now at this moment and that feels good.

I may not be the same competitive, serious-minded rider I once was - but I feel like a kid again whenever I swing my leg over - each and every ride.

Comment

Working...
                                        X