• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Eventing near cities with limited traffic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventing near cities with limited traffic?

A few months ago, some of you may remember me writing this post about striking a balance between city life and riding. Many of you suggested that I look into smaller cities. It took me a little bit of time realize that I may have to dash my DC dreams and open my eyes to new places. Man, I'm glad I did!

I'm graduating in May, and I'm well into the job search. However, I'm curious to know if I've passed any small city Eventing gems? My only requirements are that they have 2-3 event venues in a 3 hour radius and they handle traffic well. I know I won't be able to breeze through rush hour but knowing that I'll be able to get out to the barn in 30-45 minutes max would be nice. Another important aspect for me is to find a city whose culture recognizes the proper balance between work and play. Let me know if I'm dreaming of the impossible here!

A few cities high on my radar are Charlotte, Minneapolis, and Denver. I've looked at but have yet to research Nashville, Lexington/Louisville, Michigan, Madison/Milwaukee, Kansas City/St. Louis, Cincinnati/Cleveland, and the Northeast/New England.

FWIW, I don't presently own a horse, and I'd like to get back into competition after several years of light riding due to school. My ultimate goal is to compete at a Training/Prelim classic, depending on where I chicken out at. Ha! Might want to venture into Dressage for new challenges when the time comes. I love to clinic. After school plans include a long-term lease with plans to purchase a horse a few years later.

Thank you for all of your time and help!

I would say find the job first then make your life around where you'll be living. You can't set everything up perfectly, and you'll be moving several times in your life before you find Nirvana.

By the way, Nirvana is NOT in Delaware. I've been looking here for 25 years for it....
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I live in the DC area and while the traffic is bad, there are smaller cities outside of that are still close to events, assuming that you both live and work outside the city (that is what I do--I am about 25 miles west of DC, horses at home, work another 10 miles west of that). That puts me on the fringe of traffic, but the further out you get the better.

Culpeper to the south, Winchester to the NW are still close to the eventing scene. Smaller job markets though, for still a relatively high cost of living.

I grew up in Vermont (Upper Valley Area) and was less than 1 hr away from 5 events, 3 of which still run, and the MA events were very doable. Zero traffic, lower cost of living, but a very small job market. Also a much colder climate/shorter event season.

Comment

I can only tell you what I found. I am from DC and do like a lot about the area but traffic is so horrible you have to plan your life around the two long rush hours. Plus the cost of living is so high. I moved to Florida many years ago and went back up to DC for a few years and then came back to Florida. I probably won't ever leave Florida but if I did only place I would consider would be coastal North Carolina, just my preference.

Central/North Central Florida offers Rocking Horse and Ocala event facilities. Homes are cheap and no income tax. I love living close to the beach, tons of trails and plenty of horse action in the winter/spring and enough schooling/local action in the summer/fall. Horsey costs are reasonable especially compared to places in NE, Mid Atlantic.

I think people here do generally try to achieve work/life balance. Most people here enjoy some type of outdoor activities and make time for it. (Horses/Beach/Golf/Fishing, etc.) Yes the summers are hot and long and buggy but I just consider mid June to mid September to be our "winter" where we let the horses have a bit of a break. Jacksonville does not have terribly bad traffic.

So you might want to consider Jacksonville, Ocala or some place in between.

Comment

It has been my impression that the midwest and the south (Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Nashville, Charlotte, Charlottesville) do a better job of valuing work-life balances than does the Northeast (Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC). The further NE may be better about it (Vermont, upstate NY), but I am such a cold weenie that Michigan is pretty much at the edge of my tolerance. If you can find a job in Wilmington, DE, I would respectfully disagree with Retread because I think it is a great community and lower commuting hassle than many to several great trainers and event venues. Getting outside of DC into Maryland also seems possible, the Gaithersburg area for example would fit many of your criteria. Good luck, but since working will be paying the bills and you will still be spending more hours working than riding (sad as that is), find the great job first and then figure out the rest.

That said, highest on my list would be Michigan (though the job situation isn't so great there these days), Charlotte, Charlottesville, Wilmington, Nashville and Louisville with the possibility of Orlando in there (now that they have a pretty nice new medical center)
          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

In your case, I actually would look into DC. And live in the city. Get your career established first and make that money. Then surrounding DC, there's a ton of riding. Much more than any other city. If you had a horse already and trying to get to ride every day, then it would be more of a problem. But a ton of stables have lesson programs and you'd have a choice.

Charlotte is not small and the traffic is there.

Charlottesville is great if you have a family, already married, looking to retire. Not much in the career market. The goobers I work with that went here straight out school really don't have a lot of experience. And would be in deep kimchee if our contract goes away because of it.
            Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Look at Grand Rapids. An hour from one of the best venues in the midwest, if not the US (Richland Park), 2 hours from Cobblestone and 3 hours from Hunters Run. An active state Eventing Association and 8-10 unrecognized HTs per year. Chicago is 3 hours the other way (Wayne/Lamplight), the Hoosier Horse Park is 5 hours, there are five events in Ohio within a 5-6 hour drive and Kentucky is an easy seven. Traffic in GR is modest to nonexistent, depending on where you live. Decent sports/arts/food/entertainment scence, and see above re: Chicago being an easy, easy trip. And out here in the lakeshore area, you would be 25 minutes from downtown and a hop, skip and a jump from a CCI*** level trainer who is the best!
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

I live in Delaware right outside of Dover, Delaware and I think it's an amazing place to live. The cost of living is much lower than D.C, Philly and Baltimore which are all within a 2 hr drive. There are so many events within 3hrs. Tons of places to xc school and lots and lots of shows. Endless amounts of top level instructors in all disciplines. I can load my horse up and be at a top vet clinic in under 3hrs.

I have a really good job 20 min from my house that pays me very well and gives me plenty of time to fit in my horse business. Traffic..what traffic. Maybe an amish buggy

I may not be in the mecca but we sell a lot of horses and have people fly in to see them. I'm less than 2hrs from BWI or PHL airport.

Land is also more affordable. I have been able to buy my own farm and afford to build it up all by age of 30!

My hubby is in the Air Force so we could have to move but I try not to stress about it.
                http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that Lexington/Louisville are worth a look. If you move to Michigan, be cognizant of which areas you go to--Metamora, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor are the best locations if you intend to work and event. Grand Rapids is a really hip little town and doesn't get enough credit from most folks. Metamora is a sleepy town itself but is within 30 to 45 minutes' drive of some of the Detroit Metro area. I don't know which job field you're in, but of those three cities, Ann Arbor has the healthiest local economy. YMMV depending on job field.

If you're going to event in Ohio, Cincinnati will put you in striking distance of Yellow Springs Park outside of Dayton (home of Greater Dayton HT and Gemwood HT, both very inviting move-up events) and well within 2-3 hours' trailer distance of the Kentucky Horse Park. Cincinnati's actually a pretty hip town, too, the cost of living is decent, and they're well south of the lake effect snow. Cleveland's got a very active eventing community but the weather is brutal (right on the lake) and it's a more distributed, spread-out urban area.

FWIW, I grew up in northern Virginia/DC area. I loved it there. I lived Ann Arbor for 5 years and liked many things about it, but the weather would make me think twice about putting down permanent roots there. I am LOVING Ohio and would gladly stay here the rest of my life. Low cost of living for humans and horses, and as long as you stay close to a major city the folks are pretty cosmopolitan and fun.
                  Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

If you were to live on the North or Northeast side of Atlanta, you'd have plenty of opportunities. Charlotte would be good. Charlottesville or Richmond in Virginia.
                    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, y'all! Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Ohio and Michigan are sounding very appealing. FWIW, I'm in graphic design, and I know there are a few design firms in Cincinnati and Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor. My career field is one of the things that intrigues me about Minneapolis. Design is literally everywhere there! Despite the cold weather...

Originally posted by FitToBeTied View Post
                      If you were to live on the North or Northeast side of Atlanta, you'd have plenty of opportunities. Charlotte would be good. Charlottesville or Richmond in Virginia.
                      My hometown is actually just north of Atlanta, and while I do enjoy the city, I don't think I could live there. My dad tells me horror stories all the time of his 22 mile, 45-70 minute commute everyday. Getting out to the barn tacks on another 30 minutes to that. The board prices around there are also outrageous. At least $700 to $800 minimum, which I'm pretty sure my designerly budget can't hack. This is one reason I'm thinking of striking out on the abundant DC all together as well and aiming towards a lower key area.

Comment

So why not the Aiken area? I'm told there's a lot of eventing opportunities around here, board seems to be pretty cheap (I'm a field boarding place so your mileage may vary) and you would only be a couple hours from your home town. (Of course if you don't want to be that close to family that's a different thing, LOL)

That and, I just moved to Augusta from Maryland this past summer and I can tell you traffic is nonexistent compared to the Baltimore/Washington corridor.
                        The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                        Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

If GR winds up on your "check out in person" list, our guest room is yours for the asking. I can point you towards some of the local barns as well.
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by FitToBeTied View Post
                            If you were to live on the North or Northeast side of Atlanta, you'd have plenty of opportunities. .
                            Lots of opportunities to get stuck in traffic
                            I found it harder to commute to decent riding facilities in a reasonable amount of time in Atlanta than I do living in DC (and more than when I lived outside of Boston too). Granted it varies based on where you are (I lived on very northern side of city and rode north of the city) but if you are actually working or living anywhere in Atlanta, traffic is going to be a problem.
                            There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

Minneapolis has limited season/opportunities, tho there's very passionate eventers there; Otter Creek is great.

I'm not a Denver eventing fan, but it's a great area to live in.

Charlotte fits your eventing specifications perfectly, although traffic has gotten pretty bad.

Michigan is good (Richland is my #1 favorite eventing venue in the entire world) but season is relatively short to us southerners and when you have to put signs 10' in the air so emergency vehicles can find the firewater hydrants in the winter ..........................

I'm biased, but I think Kentucky (closely followed by Ohio, Indiana, and Tennessee) fit your requirements perfectly. There's some competition EVERY WEEKEND in Lexington from April through the end of October, many times TWO in the same weekend. And we usually show a couple of times a month even in December and January indoors at Lakeside.

So, considering both traffic & eventing opportunities (with a splash of $$ costs) my #1 recommendation for a metropolitan area to you would be Lexington, KY, followed closely by Louisville, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, and Knoxville.

Comment

Lived in Cincinnati for 16 years (and can't wait to move back!) and I agree with what others have said...TONS of great events within just a few hours' drive. I was within 2-3 hours from the Kentucky Horse Park, Hoosier Horse Park in Indiana, Flying Cross, Greater Dayton/Gemwood... as well as many smaller events, dressage and hunter/jumper shows, you name it. The farthest I ever drove to an event was 5 1/2 hours, and that was Richland Park in Michigan! Plus you have a number of great vet clinics within a couple hours.

Work-wise, Cincinnati traffic is not great, but certainly doesn't compare to cities like DC. We lived on the northwest side of Cinci, 15-20 minutes from the barn, and it usually took my husband 30 minutes or so to get to work downtown (taking back roads, MUCH longer on highway). I used to haul completely across town for dressage lessons, and it took me pretty much an hour door-to-door.

And I agree with Secretariat - although I haven't lived in Lexington, I've spent quite a bit of time there, and it's pretty fabulous.
                                ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

I lived in Charlotte previous -- the traffic is horrendous. I still hate every time I have to drive there, it makes me what to poke my eyes out with a dull object.

Raleigh is easy and smaller, I am content with it. I feel within fairly easy reach of a fair bit of eventing, Carolina Horse Park and VA Horse Center keep me busy. If I wanted to compete more often, well, I'd need a different career and a heck of a lot more money anyway.

I grew up just across the river from Cincinnati, that's pretty easy to get around in too, although it has grown a lot since I moved away in 1997. But I go back to see parental units and it still seems ok, if jammed full of more people, bleh. I miss all the old horse farms...
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Nashville is a nice place for eventers and close to several venues but does NOT handle its traffic well. When I worked there, my 35-mile commute regularly took 1.5-2 hours each way, and I was on one of the "easier" sides for commuters. Atlanta traffic is notoriously horrendous, so I wouldn't recommend there...

Of the places I have lived, I'd recommend you check into Lexington and Knoxville. Lexington for the obvious reasons - horse-centric, large enough for culture/career opportunities, very pretty for a city of it's size, and the traffic is for the most part not terrible. Knoxville slips under the radar but is, I'm finding, a nice city to live in and a surprisingly horse-y area. We're within 3.5-4 hours of Nashville, Atlanta, and Lexington. Traffic is nonexistent here compared to Nashville, and the cost of living is reasonable (slightly lower than both Nashville and Lexington, in my experience).

Comment

Not sure what area of work you are in, but look at Providence. With Brown, RISD, Trinity Rep, there is lots of culture. Never a rush hour. Much lower key than Boston. Overall, a really nice place to live. Access to all of the New England events as well as the NY ones.

Comment

DC isn't the easiest place to live. It has the worst traffic problem in the country (according to the 2011 study) and it's very expensive. Yes, there are tons of fabulous event venues in the area, but IMO, it doesn't make up for daily congestion and costs. I've lived here on and off for many years, and would prefer to live someplace smaller and more manageable.

Comment

Working...
                                        X