• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Retired Racehorse Trainer Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired Racehorse Trainer Challenge

For those who've not seen this yet, the Retired Racehorse Trainer Challenge is underway and looks like a really neat program. Three trainers (Eric Dierks, Tiffany Catledge, and Kerry Blackmer) have been chosen to take an OTTB and work with it for five weeks, showcasing the trainability, mind, and talents of thoroughbreds as sport horses.

More information here:
    http://www.retiredracehorsetraining....nge&Itemid=168

Think they are looking for horses...donor/Loaner needs to include $1000. training fee.....

Comment

Sounds like a fun idea that could also have positive impact on the way OTTBs are perceived.

If it would cost an owner only $1000 (total) for the training, I think it could be well worth it. Wish one of my critters was only recently off the track!
      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Thanks, GotSpots! Yep! Steuart is actively looking at horses this week. I'm not sure how many he has to look at, but he'll be busy...

Trainers do receive a $1000 training fee for the 5 weeks of training, but interested owners can certainly try to find a sponsor if they can't afford the fee. We wanted to mimic what happens in the "real world" as much as possible.

We're working on plans to do a much bigger trainer challenge as a stand-alone event, with amateur and professional divisions, taking place over 3 months (maybe this summer?). Trainers would be responsible for getting their own horses for the bigger one. More details when we get through this one!!! It's shaping up and should be a LOT of fun! Also hoping to get it on HRTV...stay tuned to the Facebook page for updates.
        Erin
        Dodon Farm Training Center - on Facebook

Comment

This is excellent promotion for ottbs and you guys are incredible at planning and executing it! Thank you very much!

Comment

I can't wait. It sounds like FUN and sort of a way to bring out, in public, what many of us do on our own, and have been doing, for many, many years. My FIRST horse was an off-track thoroughbred and I brought him along myself as a teenager (14). . . and guess what, I STILL have off track thoroughbreds!

I hope to be at Horse World Expo for the introduction Friday afternoon and plan to write a report for Horse Junkies United, but that's just the plan at the moment...hopefully work will cooperate...

I wish I could get a horse and give it to this program, it would be WELL worth $1,000, I think, for five weeks training, from any of the three trainers -- they are all very accomplished and savvy horse people.
            Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
            Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Hey, my OTTB has been off the track for 5 years-think I can send HIM????? ;~)
              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Not meaning to be a downer here, but I don't really get this............so you get to put your horse in training with a trainer at their regular rates. BIG WHOOP...........

What am I missing here...............

Comment

I don't think the goal is for the owner. I think it is for people who think of TBs as nutcases to be able to see just how far a recently off the track TB can come with 5 weeks of training. More to get those (not us!) who don't know how wonderful TBs are to see more of them
                  OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I'm with equinedriver: confused after reading the page several times.

These TBs are already privately owned. They're not in the hands of track trainers/owners or an organization like CANTER.

Presumably, their current owners obtained them as prospective riding horses, either directly from the track or from a rehoming org.

Is the goal is to show what a TB can do with five weeks' professional training? Five weeks is not a long time in terms of training a horse, especially if it's young and just off the track.

Is the goal to get more CANTER-type buyers to put their horses in professional training?

Then there's this:
                    Horses will be available for sale after the Challenge at prices determined by their owners.
                    Which would mean the owners don't intend to keep these horses after putting $1000 of training into them. So is this about demonstrating to the horsey public that you can get a horse off the track, put $1000 into it and sell it at a profit?

I'm not trying to trash this program. I thought it sounded exciting. I thought it would be experienced trainers taking on CANTER (or similar org) horses and showing the before-and-after results at the horse expo.

But this is private owners paying pro trainers to train their horse. The message is: if you put $1000 into your OTTB with a pro trainer, you'll have a horse you can sell.

So yes, like equinedriver, I'm confused about the goals of this program.

Comment

The main purpose to the program is to demonstrate the attractablity of ottb. Showing that they deserve to be considered for our top spots with our elite riders. By showcasing this the hope is to encourage more people to look on the track verses the breeding shed to find their next top horse. I am sure that Steuart will not find horses right off the track as they would obviously need some down time and I am also sure he will work with the local tb rescues to find ones of equal quality. This is a trial run but it is meant to show the progress you can make in just 5 weeks of regularly training. The reason they are most likely offering them for sale is after people watch and follow these sort of things you begin to get connected to one particular one which is why they are letting you know a head of time that you may purchase one. I don't know if this helps you or not but rregardless this is a way to publish the chronicles of an ottb to increase peoples awareness to where greatness lies.

Comment

Why not PM Erin or e-mail Steuart himself and get the straight answers.

I for one as an OTTB re-seller am totally onboard and excited for this program.

CANTER has its own in-house re-training program and so does New Vocations, I hope that this is going to be an educational tool for those who want to buy OTTB but are some what afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiwaythreetwenty View Post
                          The main purpose to the program is to demonstrate the attractablity of ottb. Showing that they deserve to be considered for our top spots with our elite riders.
                          So you're trying to encourage people to send OTTBs to 'elite riders'?

IME, 'elite riders' don't care where a horse comes from or what it is as long as it has the talent and rideability to be a UL eventer.

Originally posted by Hiwaythreetwenty View Post
                          By showcasing this the hope is to encourage more people to look on the track verses the breeding shed to find their next top horse.
                          The breeding shed? Recently, we've had threads on this forum as well as the breeding forum about how Americans don't buy youngsters or buy from US breeders. The abundance of cheap OTTBs was cited as a reason for this.

But again, you're talking about 'top horses.' So is this a scheme to get OTTB to top pros, at pro training rates? That's different from getting the pros to scour the listings in search of a future superstar OTTB.

If anything, this seems like a programme to encourage elite-level TB event horse ownership. Is that correct?

(And I don't think there's anything wrong with encouraging ownership. To the contrary. I love being an owner as I enjoy working with young horses but have no interest in competing.)

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                            I'm with equinedriver: confused after reading the page several times.

These TBs are already privately owned. They're not in the hands of track trainers/owners or an organization like CANTER.
                            Actually, we ARE looking at horses owned by racing owners, not by the folks who will own them in the end. Steuart is out looking at horses today. One at MidAtlantic Horse Rescue (they were the first to approach us about not only sponsoring the challenge but paying for one of their horses to get training), another owned by a private person who trains and resells OTTBs; Steuart also has one to look at later that comes from a breeder/race owner who cares where his horses go after they're done racing and yet another one with a private race owner. The idea is, as others have said, to showcase retired racehorses as VALUABLE and that racehorse owners should strongly consider investing in even a small amount of training for their horses rather then selling them down the line at very very low prices, while also proving to the horse-owning public that they aren't, in fact, crazy fire-breathing dragons. They gain value with training. Yes, the trainers are getting paid; we went back and forth about how to do this, whether to get sponsors for the horses etc., but decided that we wanted willing race owners to do it. We also want them to be there to introduce the horses at the start of the challenge.

The whole thing will be videotaped - at the Expos (hopefully by HRTV, but we're still working on that; they did seem interested) and while in training with frequent updates from the trainers. These videos will be made public and will hopefully help others working with OTTBs themselves.

It is not to "encourage elite-level TB event horse ownership," though we have absolutely no problem whatsoever with elite-level eventers getting their next superstar off the track The mission of the RRTP is to increase the demand for retired racehorses through education and promotion. This first trainer challenge is just one small part of what we want to do. Future Trainer Challenges will be longer, will be stand-alone events with seminars on care, etc. in addition to multi-discipline riding demonstrations, will have Pro and Amateur divisions, plus trainers will be responsible for buying and training their own horses...still in the planning stages, though. The Expo venues are neither large enough nor do we get enough time to do what we'd REALLY like to do.
                            Last edited by Erin Pittman; Jan. 5, 2012, 12:47 PM. Reason: added more...
                            Erin

Comment

I think it's a really neat idea!!
                              http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

Thank you Erin!!

Comment

I think it will be fun to watch. Assuming that people buy and send to trainers frequently anyway, why not publicize the process and let everyone learn more about various retraining methods, and drool over some horses. The judging at the end will be fascinating.

Also, I can't wait for the amateur one! I have always started my own OTT and I think watching other amateurs doing the same would be really interesting.

That said, the financial aspect does read as odd to me too--why do they all have to be for sale afterward? Is that to encourage race trainers to put their OTTBs in training to sell to sport people? Or to encourage amateurs to buy OTTBs and send them to training as short term investments?

That part does seem to be promoting the trainers just as much as the horses. Which makes sense, if it is directed toward race trainers. But I think most show/event riders know all about full training.

I don't know, I think it will be worth watching for sure, worth participating if your plan was already to buy an OTTB, put it in training, then sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                                    That said, the financial aspect does read as odd to me too--why do they all have to be for sale afterward? Is that to encourage race trainers to put their OTTBs in training to sell to sport people? Or to encourage amateurs to buy OTTBs and send them to training as short term investments?
                                    Yes! In other words, all of the above. These horses are already for sale whether from a rescue/placement organization (in this case, MidAtlantic Horse Rescue), a breeder/owner, or someone else. I assume that it's possible one of the owners might decide to keep it, but who knows...the idea is to promote the Thoroughbred as a sport horse to both the racehorse owners and to people looking to buy a new horse. Hopefully that makes sense...
                                    Erin

Comment

Don't forget to do the Bloodline Brag.. I want to find another FuPeg baby!!!
                                      http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

Originally posted by Erin Pittman View Post
                                        Actually, we ARE looking at horses owned by racing owners, not by the folks who will own them in the end.
                                        That makes sense but how many racing owners/trainers want to put $1000 into a horse they want off their feed bill?

The website says it's about value-add:

Owners will pay the trainers a market-rate fee for the training that their horses receive with an expectation that the value of those horses will increase substantially.
                                        Substantially. Substantially from where? Up from $500? $1500? Will you make back the cost of your $20K yearling?

It's a substantial promise to make (if the owners 'expect it), that the $1000 in training fees will increase the horse's value. What if the horse needs more time? What if the horse is nervous or spooky or requires a tactful, experienced rider?

(Or is under 16hh or is a mare? I assume you won't be choosing those.)

5 weeks = 35 days = not a heck of a lot in the universe of horse training. Yes, it might be fun as a game show but this is neither realistic nor representative of how green horses become consistent, confirmed riding horses. Over and over again, I hear from trainers that owners (1) don't want to put enough time into proper training and (2) have unrealistic expectations as to what 30 days' training can accomplish.

So I'm still scratching my head as to the positives here. But I also don't know the TB market in MD. Maybe this would make more sense to me in that context.

Comment

Working...
                                        X