• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Eventing haflingers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventing haflingers?

Have any of you evented a haflinger? They sound interesting and amateur friendly.

Okay, I'm finally ready to admit it...
    Although I love mine dearly, they are not necessarily amatuer friendly. There are family friendly haffies out there, but it's been my experience with the breed that they (the majority) can be quite naughty little horses that you would not want for an inexperienced rider. (such as mine! and luckily I am not)

With that being said, he is an absolute blast, now that he's older(10) and it's taken 6 long years since I've had him of talented trainers and nearly daily riding to get us here. He has mostly been my first flight hunt horse (we belong to a very fast drag hunt with some 4' fences...yes he's done them... some haffies can be great jumpers). But, it was not an easy road. We have evented a bit, and it is my goal to eventually go Training with him, but we've had some issues with a previously undiagnosed injury. We'll be back out again when he's ready at BN.

Haffies are little drafts. They are very hard to get fit, but once they're there they are pretty easy to keep there. (Although, please note my "nearly daily riding" comment in the previous paragraph!)

They mature sllllooooowlllly. How old is your potential? Mine was 9 before he stopped the "baby sillies".

You will always be noticed at shows...good or bad. Haffies stick out!

Everyone will think you are a child...this may be a good or bad thing depending on your age.

If you have plans to do the low levels and have found a good haffie you'll be okay. They have great personalities, and mine would get in your pocket if he could, but he is definitely not for an inexperienced rider.

They are a great breed, really!, just make sure you do you homework, know your goals and know your potential haffie. I love mine dearly, and he will have a forever home with me. He cracks me up with his BIG personality and practical jokes (and yes, he is a practical joker). They are smart for sure. You have to be smarter.

Good luck! They are a great breed, but they are not for everyone.

Here are some of my favs of us (mostly hunting):
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...4&l=9d1329b88f

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=7c721f320d

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=81e81cc558

excuse the position...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=a3e91f7281

Yes, I fell off...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0&l=481d0506ce

My dressage face...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=97fcf3d61f

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7&l=78c3b71872
    Last edited by HappyHoppingHaffy; Jan. 1, 2012, 05:19 PM. Reason: Fixing on the laptop what could not be fixed on the ipad

Comment

i have a twelve yo mare who has the talent and athleticism but i'm not a good enough rider for her. i think i've found someone to campaign her this year, as i'd love to see her live up to her potential.
      on the other hand, she sure doesn't care!

Comment

Suz, If you don't mind me asking, where are you located in New England? I'm in MA, and I know some really good people who are very good with haffies. I'm curious who you're working with. Feel free to PM me if you want. Us haffie eventers should stick together!

Another good thing about haffies...the most sure footed horses out there. I couldn't imagine doing some of the hunts I've done on any other horse than my haffie.

Comment

Although I have never evented, I have a haffie cross with all the haffie qualities.

I would love another haffie if I could find a bigger one (15.2) in my price point. Mine is 14h. I love him to death. He is safe no matter how much I ride. Sure he's fitter and more responsive with regular riding but if you don't ride very often you don't have to be worried that he's going to be a nut. He gets lazier as time goes on. I do think he is far lazier inside than out. If I could get out more, I think he'd be far more forward. I know this because when I was boarding him, their indoor was not finished so we hacked out every ride and he was awesome after that.

I've jumped him to 3' (though not in a looong time) taken him on hunter paces, done a teeny bit of dressage and he's used as an IHSA horse for shows. He definitely has potential for more but I just don't have the nerves!!!

Here is mine at a hunter pace last year
          http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...e/P1010616.jpg

They are easy keepers and will not cost you anything in feed or farrier. My farrier loves his feet. Mine gets 2 flakes/hay am and pm, and a handful of grain to shut him up.

He is a total PITA in a pony-naughty way, but if you love a super duper friendly personality they are really neat horses.

HHH- your haffie is AWESOME. How tall is he? He looks like he's quite a bit taller than the average - 15h??

Comment

Check out Tudor Oaks Farm facebook page (they are in Barrington Hills IL) They have lots of eventing Haffies. I have a 4 year old from there who is naughty but also a lovebug. I sent him to Dean Graham for 6 weeks at just turned 4 last spring and in 10 days he had him going nicely at all three gaits and doing baby stuff at the O'Connor's Fl cross country. He is naughty, pony like but also athletic, willing and talented.

He can jump with gusto or be super lazy depends on how you motivate him.

My sister is about to consider buying a haffie/paint cross who has already competed in 3 events and done well (also 4) He is a saint and very athletic. I think it depends on which Haffie you get but they can do it, no generalizations because I am a JRT person and though mine is a great dog I know there a nuts/bad JRTs too. So don't rule them out, but pick the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyHoppingHaffy View Post
              Okay, I'm finally ready to admit it...
              Although I love mine dearly, they are not necessarily amatuer friendly. There are family friendly haffies out there, but it's been my experience with the breed that they (the majority) can be quite naughty little horses that you would not want for an inexperienced rider. (such as mine! and luckily I am not)

With that being said, he is an absolute blast, now that he's older(10) and it's taken 6 long years since I've had him of talented trainers and nearly daily riding to get us here. He has mostly been my first flight hunt horse (we belong to a very fast drag hunt with some 4' fences...yes he's done them... some haffies can be great jumpers). But, it was not an easy road. We have evented a bit, and it is my goal to eventually go Training with him, but we've had some issues with a previously undiagnosed injury. We'll be back out again when he's ready at BN.

Haffies are little drafts. They are very hard to get fit, but once they're there they are pretty easy to keep there. (Although, please note my "nearly daily riding" comment in the previous paragraph!)

They mature sllllooooowlllly. How old is your potential? Mine was 9 before he stopped the "baby sillies".

You will always be noticed at shows...good or bad. Haffies stick out!

Everyone will think you are a child...this may be a good or bad thing depending on your age.

If you have plans to do the low levels and have found a good haffie you'll be okay. They have great personalities, and mine would get in your pocket if he could, but he is definitely not for an inexperienced rider.

They are a great breed, really!, just make sure you do you homework, know your goals and know your potential haffie. I love mine dearly, and he will have a forever home with me. He cracks me up with his BIG personality and practical jokes (and yes, he is a practical joker). They are smart for sure. You have to be smarter.

Good luck! They are a great breed, but they are not for everyone.

Here are some of my favs of us (mostly hunting):
              http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...4&l=9d1329b88f

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=7c721f320d

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=81e81cc558

excuse the position...
              http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=a3e91f7281

Yes, I fell off...
              http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0&l=481d0506ce

My dressage face...
              http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=97fcf3d61f

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7&l=78c3b71872
              LOVE LOVE your pics, what a gorgeous Haffie!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                HHH- your haffie is AWESOME. How tall is he? He looks like he's quite a bit taller than the average - 15h??
                Spacytracy, I love your haffie! Your haf is such a great jumper! Very cute! I love to hunter pace, too.

You bring up good points; if you're keeping your haf at home they'll barely cost you anything. Mine eats beet pulp and first cut hay, but I'm at a boarding barn. If he was at home he wouldn't cost much to feed. They are very easy keepers.

Thanks, Bizbachfan, I have heard great things about Tudor Oaks, too. Definitely great advice to get in touch with them.

My haf is a big boy...I just sticked him again as I realized I hadn't measured him since he was 5 year old. Believe it or not, he is only 14.3 and 3/4ths. So, yes, almost 15hh, but has a BIG presence. I do call him a Sherman Tank!

Here's mine's pedigree: http://www.haflingerhorse.com/pedigr...?horseid=20762

Anyone else have a haff?
                Last edited by HappyHoppingHaffy; Jan. 1, 2012, 06:32 PM. Reason: added pedigree

Comment

I've seen a few out there - they seem like amazing little horses.

I have a Fjord X that leans towards the Fjord side of things (see the ling in my signature). He's very cool, and I will be eventing him next year. He will likely never go higher then training, but I love him.
                  www.felixfjord.blogspot.com

Comment

I estimate between he and the mini, they cost me like $75 a month in feed.

Comment

Squeee ! I never knew the name of that place ... but look on the news page ...

http://www.tudoroaksfarm.com/news.html

It's Catherine and Bill She's one cool girlie !

Comment

• Original Poster

A Fjord sounds fun as well!

Comment

I have a half haffy/Morgan. He is a rotten little *&^%. However he was starved and I assume also abused prior to me. The previous owner gelded him (himself no vet) at 5. So my guy has some issues at times. The neck is a lethal weapon on this horses.

However he is super cute and can be a ton of fun. Great mover and I always get stopped (at HT, CT, dressage, fox hunting, trail riding or hunter paces) and asked about him. I have only done dressage and a CT on him but am going to do some baby eventing this year. My trainer took him to a HT and he did really well. I have even camped overnight at the beach with him.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...0March%202011/
                          He is the short, fat bay hairy one jumping the small jumps in the photo album. The skinny bay is my trainers TB stud.

I have seen several haffies around NC at the HT with adults and kids.
                          Pamela Ellis

Comment

I'm riding a Haflinger/QH cross, 4 years old (coming 5). He is one of the easiest horses I've worked with. His sire lives on site, and has an equally nice temperament. I have also ridden with a half brother (same cross, same sire) who has the same temperament.

He has currently only done one event at Starter level, which he won by over 10 penalties. However he is already schooling 3', skinnies, and more advanced flatwork. He has a hunter-style jump and canter and is very quiet. Someone is really going to luck out when he is sold!
                            Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

Sorry for the hijack...HHH - is the mane on yours roached? I haven't shown breed shows in years, and my girl gets SO miserable during the summer heat that I'm contemplating pulling it this year. I have no idea where to start attacking it and I'm a bit nervous though. It's well over two feet long and I think I'd have to cut and THEN thin. My other girl's mane was always pulled, but she did NOT come from a good hair line. She had nothing to start with!

Back on topic...my girl would make a heck of an eventer, but I'm too chicken for it. She thinks I'm boring She's a rock solid packer over any fence you point her at though. LOVES to jump.
                              Here's a couple dressage-y pics anyhow

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5159473_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3614119_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1070803_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4857010_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...42338757_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2209863_n.jpg

As far as amatuer friendly...depends on the person. Mine is as safe as they come, but she's very tricky to ride well. That said, she adjusts herself so nicely. I can put a toddler on her and she takes tiny little steps and stays right under her rider. She throws exactly as much as I can handle. And then my trainer gets on and SHE has a blast with her. Neat little horse. I do think a complete novice on their own would be at her complete mercy, however. She'd be off eating grass somewhere.

Here's another one with some inspiration for you:
                              http://www.briarcroft.com/stallion.htm

Comment

Originally posted by flea View Post
                                A Fjord sounds fun as well!
                                I worked with a young Fjord for eventing for awhile. Cute, quiet, fabulous jumping form, and the dressage judges just ate him up. An 18 at his first two-phase. 18. I've never, before or since, gotten into the teens in dressage. Nothing made this little dude spook and the compliments were always pouring in.

But not, not, NOT an ammy friendly horse. When he decided he didn't want to do something? He would just start going backwards. Spur, crop, didn't matter, he'd just fly backwards. Eventually broke him of that one, but it wasn't pretty. Had very little in the way of work ethic and forget learning how to canter around a cross country course correctly. You spent all of your time kicking and praying that he was actually going to go.

As for the haffie, we have on at the barn in the school program. There's pictures of her going beginner novice in just adorable form and I believe she went novice. That mare is a saint, everyone loves her. Rumor has it that when she was young she was a hell raiser, so keep that in mind. As an older lady, she's an absolute packer but still has a lazy streak a mile wide. I personally love haffies, but they have to be really fit to go cross country or it's exhausting to keep them going.
                                http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Comment

What Happy said.
                                  Mine is not spooky, loves to jump, does lateral work and has a huge personality. But she knows every evasion in the world! Yes she is quiet but she is passive aggressive. For me she is perfect. I don't want to ride a hot horse that is going to spook at everything but I still want a challenge. My haffy provides that challenge for me. I ride her primarily dressage but I am starting to add jumping because she loves to jump. I think she would make an amazing eventer.
                                  Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

Originally posted by HappyHoppingHaffy View Post
                                    Suz, If you don't mind me asking, where are you located in New England? I'm in MA, and I know some really good people who are very good with haffies. I'm curious who you're working with. Feel free to PM me if you want. Us haffie eventers should stick together!

Another good thing about haffies...the most sure footed horses out there. I couldn't imagine doing some of the hunts I've done on any other horse than my haffie.
                                    i'm in vermont. i'll pm you.

Comment

Originally posted by ironbessflint View Post
                                      Sorry for the hijack...HHH - is the mane on yours roached? I haven't shown breed shows in years, and my girl gets SO miserable during the summer heat that I'm contemplating pulling it this year. I have no idea where to start attacking it and I'm a bit nervous though. It's well over two feet long and I think I'd have to cut and THEN thin. My other girl's mane was always pulled, but she did NOT come from a good hair line. She had nothing to start with!
                                      His is indeed roached. He had the long mane when he came to me, but it hadn't been well cared for and he hated it brushed. Like yours he would sweat terribly under that double mane in the summer, so I shaved it off. I use my body clippers with the 10 blade, easy peasy. Takes no time at all and the "mohawk" really fits his personality to boot.

Your haff is adborable!

Comment

HappyHoppingHaffy- Went through your FB album, Dukie is stunning! And I am drooling over those chocolate brown boots of yours.

I rode a Haffy mare for a few years and although I didn't event her, she was a blast and always kept me laughing. Even when I was falling off. I agree with (some of) them needing an experienced rider. She definitely needed a strong rider to keep her together and get after her ponytude.
                                        Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X