Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Darren is back!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren is back!

I was just checking out the entries for Genesee Valley Hunt HT here in Area 1, and see that Darren Chiacchia has 2 prelim entries and a training entry.

That seems awfully soon after a bad head injury. Those things are cumulative.....

Comment

Let's just hope he stays together.
      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

As much as I want to support Darren, it is clear he is not right. The combination at Red Hills was not a 5 stride.. the long option was. The way Darren went was a 2 stride( he was right about the jump itself) the long way was a bending 5. Also, Ruthie Harbison was the rider before him and went the straight way. For those of you who want to question what I am saying, I was competing and walked the course..and his family showed me the video in the hospital the day they got it. It was a 2...Darrens horse jumped off the bank, slightly right, Darren being the great jockey..pulled him back left..and in the horse's inexperience, he tried to put in 3 strides(which couldn't be done) That is all there was to it. It worries me a bit that Darren does not know what the striding was after watching the video "over and over". I hope that quote from Darren was a misprint by the Chronicle, or someone needs to be looking after Darren more closely.
        Jill

Comment

This seems like a spectacularly bad idea. I sincerely hope he is not allowed to compete so soon after a Grade V concussion + a week long coma.

Most sports organisations, amateur or professional, would not allow this.

Comment

Good Point

Originally posted by nirvana002 View Post
            As much as I want to support Darren, it is clear he is not right. The combination at Red Hills was not a 5 stride.. the long option was. The way Darren went was a 2 stride( he was right about the jump itself) the long way was a bending 5. Also, Ruthie Harbison was the rider before him and went the straight way. For those of you who want to question what I am saying, I was competing and walked the course..and his family showed me the video in the hospital the day they got it. It was a 2...Darrens horse jumped off the bank, slightly right, Darren being the great jockey..pulled him back left..and in the horse's inexperience, he tried to put in 3 strides(which couldn't be done) That is all there was to it. It worries me a bit that Darren does not know what the striding was after watching the video "over and over". I hope that quote from Darren was a misprint by the Chronicle, or someone needs to be looking after Darren more closely.
            Jill

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed this when I read his piece in the COTH. I walked that course, and I remember it being a tight 2.

I also saw Darren at the summit, and I was concerned that he still seemed ...ummm ...frail.

He did note that he has been "cleared" to compete, but these scenarios sure make me apprehensive about the whole thing....
            No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
            -- Winston Churchill

Comment

I thought his COTH article said he would start at the "lower levels". I just knew he didn't mean novice with Windfall! But I expected training or below with his greenies.
              Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

There was a pretty long article in COTH recently; he's been cleared to ride by 2 neurologists.

Make of it what you will.
                Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Isn't it true that many people have no recollection of the events leading up to an accident (right before/during/right after) due to the brain sort of turning off the trauma? Perhaps I am not explaining it very well, but when I had my life threatening accident, I remember a few hazy details such as getting on the mare, she took about ten steps at the walk, and the next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital days later.

I was TOLD that the mare exploded, violently bucking/sunfishing, and then cartwheeled over and landed on top of me, her croup landing on my neck and head - but I do not remember anything of that at all.

Perhaps Darren has the same thing going on regarding the striding? At any rate, if he's been cleared to compete by doctors, I am sure they would not put him in harm's way intentionally and perhaps Darren needs to "go back to work" as I do believe he derives his income from riding/training and this accident, like mine, has likely depleted much of his money.

I wish him well and hope that he continues to ride successfully. Coming back from any accident is very hard, coming back from one such as his isn't easier if one continues to wait. I do believe it gives one too much time to think and question resulting in a less likely scenario of riding and becoming more apprehensive about giving it a go.

Comment

Well, I think if he has been cleared by his doctors, he should be good to go. I hope things go well for him.
                    I do think one horse to start with would be better.
                    www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

I find it a bit scarey.Sure he needs to work and make money,but if he has another fall ,doesn't even have to be bad,so soon after such a massive head trauma,who knows if he will ever recover.On his website he says something like he was in a coma for 65 days.Now he wasn't actually in a coma for more than a week,but he feels like it took that long to snap out of it,so that tells me his brain was pretty scrambled. I agree that someone should be watching out for him.I mean,it is his choice,but he might not have the best judgement right now. Probably like most men,he isn't going to listen to anyone.

Comment

Like everyone else, I wish him well and to be blessed with the best of health and riding.

Comment

I was glad to hear from his column in COTH that he was doing better and getting back to riding. However I do have to agree that it seems a bit premature to be riding 2 prelim horses and a training horse in his first time back. And you know what's wrong with taking a horse novice or training, even a trained horse that has competed upper levels? That was a MAJOR injury he had just 4 months ago. I honestly have to question him doing so much so soon.
                          http://xtrapony.blogspot.com <-- X's Blog

http://photobucket.com/xtrapony

Comment

A doctor can't really "clear" anyone to do anything in the sense that by declaring someone "cleared" they can't impart any sort of magical protection. A doctor can only discuss risk vs. benefit, outline the pros and cons, and let the individual make a choice.

Now in the setting of a professional sport (say football) it's different, and the team doctor can make a declaration that a player MAY or MAY NOT compete. That is a contractual on top of an ethical issue on top of a medical issue on top of a liability issue.

I have no way at all of knowing, nor am I even remotely expert on the current recommendations regarding return to competition after closed head injury, but I'd wager that Darren has made his own choice and his doctors have given him their conditional "approval" only after making sure he realizes the risk. A doctor can't, after all, bodily prevent him from riding.

Personally, I think it's insane. But that's a non-expert opinion.
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

Speaking from experience (stroke victum), hind sight is 20/20, and I wish Darren well. But, neurologists have book knowledge and no personal experience of what really is going. Unless they ride event horses, they have absolutely no idea the physical-mental-balance-timing etc etc involved in riding an event horse. And while I understand Darren's wanting to get his life back (and it's not just a man thing), I do pray he's ready to compete.

Comment

Like he said in his article, "no one tells me what to do." Too bad his horses don't have the same privilege.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Comment

I wish him well, not only for himself and his horses, but for eventing as a whole. The ramifications if it all goes south are horrendous for an already troubled sport. We desperately need a "return to play" policy such as that in place for soccer, football, NASCAR, etc.

Comment

Well "cleared to ride" is a very broad statement - are his doctors "horsey" as in do they know the mental acuity and the physical demand it takes to do a horse trial (even at the lower levels you need all your faculties about you 100%).

Darren takes very good care of himself but he doesn't have to be superman just yet - then again he is an adult and he does have a business to get back to - I hope he will be okay not only at this venue but for the next year that he is showing.

Comment

Who would determine that "return to play" policy? If doctors say a person can ride, then where is the argument that one cannot? Your idea of return to play and mine might be years apart. I might want to return in six months while someone else says a year, others say 18 months, etc.

Comment

If he has had two neurologist clear him then what more can he do. He needs to live his life to the fullest as he has learned each day is precious and if he needs to keep riding and competing than so be it. It's his life and we can only hope things go safely and wish him the best.

Comment

Working...
                                        X