• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sheepskin Half Pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheepskin Half Pads

Does anyone use a sheepskin half pad?

What configuration do you use it? For example, horse, half pad, saddle... or horse, half pad, baby pad, saddle... or horse, baby pad, half pad, saddle?

Bottom line- when I had my saddles fit my fitter recommended using a sheepskin half pad and nothing else when riding. She thought the moisture wicking and cooling would be appreciated by my mare.

I've ridden just horse, sheepskin half pad, and saddle. My horse and I both do wonderful with it but I have received negative comments from other people.

Just wondering how everyone else uses them...

I generally use mine- Pad, Thinline, Thinline Sheepskin, saddle. Yes, he has two thinlines... he's a spoiled brat and very very opnionated I think that whatever works for your horse and yourself should be what you do. I know some people are very confused about not using a saddle pad, but if your saddle fits, you should be good to go.

Comment

You are actually using it as the manufacture originally intended. Who cares if others think its wrong; it's working.
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I use mine ontop of my normal saddle pad, as do all my other friends that use them. I love mine! It makes the seat so much more compy! I hope this helps

Comment

Why would you get negative comments? My friend has about 10 of the saddle pads with what was essentially a half pad built in. She rode with the sheepskin directly on the horse. Of course, she has an extremely wealthy husband and can afford to buy anything and everything she wants. The horses seemed perfectly happy with the sheepskin pad arrangement.

My horse likes my sheepskin half pad with my jumping saddle, but not with my dressage saddle. I'm not entirely sure why, they *appear* (to me and others who know about these things) to fit the same tree wise on his back, but obviously my position is different and something just makes him go better with the half pad. I use a baby pad under it because I can only afford the one and it needs to last. I wash it only a couple times a year because it really never gets dirty.

I use one of those little Thinline pads under my dressage saddle. I also sometimes put it under the half pad with the jumping saddle.

Comment

I use mine directly on the horse's back, beneath the saddle pad. If you use it over the saddle pad, it acts as a bump pad and you loose the natural heat/moisture management and the lanolin oils. Friends use them between the saddle pad and saddle and adore them just the same.

I buy the cheaper Roma half pads from Dover. Love them!
            www.MurphyEventing.com

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Comment

You would use a sheepskin FULL pad directly on the horse, right? Then why wouldn't you use the half pad directly on the horse... yes they get dirty and sweaty, but you can clean them with wool shampoos, air dry them, and they are usually back to new-like condition. Real sheep wool on the horse is SO comfortable for them, too. I was able to get "weird" color sheepskin half pads for $39 at EquusNow ( blue, pink) and that helps with the feeling that you are ruining an expensive pad...!
              Last edited by smay; Dec. 28, 2011, 11:17 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

I ride with a Roma merino sheepskin half pad directly on his back an a thinline untrimmed half pad on top of that. I'm actually trying to sell them both, but it's a configuration I'd be happy with if Fen didn't have such a distinctive back shape. He does better in wool felt pads, I've learned.
                My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Comment

I come from hunterland, where everyone must school in a half pad or you are considered to be abusing your horse

Just kidding, kind of. We all use sheepskin half pads (or at least fleece half pads).

When I switched and started eventing simultaneously, I was flabbergasted that people would wear just a a/p pad under a saddle. Turns out you all get your saddles adjusted to the horse and we do not...usually. I have had 4 CC saddles and have never had one adjusted or fitted. Of course my dressage saddle had to be but it turned out it fit him perfectly.

Anyways, I have never had a mattes but people at my eventing barn love them and I have only heard good things about them.

I have 2 fleeceworks wither relief half pads that I love dearly. My older one wears like iron, but the newer one not so much. I would try to find an older one if you want to go the fleeceworks route. The new ones are super nice, just don't last as many years as the older ones.

I also have a thinline sheepskin comfort pad with shims. Very nice, but too big for all of my saddles . They retail for a lot, but you can find them used for decent prices. They apparently don't wash great, but I haven't had to wash mine yet and it is still beautiful. It is shimmable too.

Comment

oh! as far as a placing goes:

nunn finer no slip pad on back (cut in half)
                    baby pad, a/p pad, dressage pad etc on top
                    then half pad on very top.

that is how i have always used them and seen them.

Comment

here is a picture of my hunter doing the jumpers in a baby pad and fleeceworks sheepskin.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...82500567_n.jpg

Comment

We use a no slip, a baby pad, then usually a Mattes or Fleeceworks half pad to school in, be it jumping, dressage, or fitness work. I am a firm believer in a half pad, and I use them at all times unless I'm using a Poly Pad (an obsession of mine).

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                          You are actually using it as the manufacture originally intended. Who cares if others think its wrong; it's working.
                          this! my trainer was telling me a few weeks ago about how saddle pads are a *relatively* new thing in the larger picture of riding, and aren't totally necessary. I noticed a lot of the GP jumpers this summer using only a half pad, which makes a lot of sense to me (less possibility for saddle movement, less between you and the horse).

Comment

I ride in non-slip pad, baby pad (or sometimes a/p), Fleeceworks or shimmed Thinline, then the saddle. I don't have a problem using only the half pad and the saddle, but mine need to last forever so they get a pad underneath!
                            "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
                            ~George Morris

Comment

I believe originally, pads were not used at all. As wool flocking would do essentially the same thing. With the advent of foam, and having saddles reflocked becoming so $, pads came into use. So yes, sheepskin half pads are intended to be used directly on the back. Most people use them over a baby pad, as I do, to keep them clean. But that does detract from the intended purpose. I only need it to take up a bit of space, and prefer that to synthetic, so I'm not terribly concerned. But you'll find some people on here have horses who are allergic to everything and use the sheepskin straight on their back.

Comment

I agree 100% with your fitter. All of the theraputic benefits of sheepskin are derived by having it placed DIRECTLY ON THE HORSE.

I have 4 Engel Sheepskin numnahs and I use them DIRECLTY on the horse. They are numnahs because it is like a half pad of sheepskin, but then there is like a "baby pad" of cotton/quilt that is SHAPED for the flaps.

It is perfect. So it really has the best of both worlds. My horses all go in these and love them (as do I)

Here is what the pads look like. Notice the ventilated/spine-free top - love that!
                                http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...j2OnrRz_12.jpg

Here a close up with my saddle (and I stuck a ThinLine pad on top)
                                http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...10824-1822.jpg

Another picture of one, in use:
                                http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...a/DSC01589.jpg

and

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...a/DSC01617.jpg
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
                                www.elainehickman.com
                                **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

I have a basic Mattes 1/2 back sheepskin pad and I use it directly against the horse, since it is what they are made for.

So, horse, sheepskin, jumping saddle.

Or, horse, sheepskin, foam riser pad, bareback pad (my Ottb has shark fin withers)

I don't wash it that much, either. I brush it when it's dry to get the dirt off. I wash it with Woolite on gentle cycle in my washer. I've had it for years.

I also have a regular pad with sheepskin built in, I forget which brand (griffin Nuumed maybe?), but the sheepskin part isn't nearly as thick as in the Mattes.
                                  Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

I wonder what negative comments people could be saying to you? LOL.

I also use my sheepskin half pad directly on my horse's back (I am from Hunterland too, GASP!). I have the Thinline Ultra Sheepskin Comfort pad (has the Thinline sewn directly onto the cotton portion of the pad, and is shimmable) and I LOVE it. I don't like using a saddle pad under because they tend to slip back on my horse and press down on her enormous wither (even the contoured ones). Plus, I like to believe in all the benefits of sheepskin directly against their backs, and I don't mind washing a little more frequently because of it.

For this specific pad, there have been some reviews about the pad falling apart in the wash but I have not experienced any issues so far (3 washings in the machine, 2 by hand). I bought a special sheepskin wash, do it with cold water on the gentlest cycle, then pop in the dryer on the air dry setting to get most of the water out, then dry flat on a rack with a fan under it. In between rides I just brush it out with a little wire brush, and also got the black color to hide a lot of the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                                      Exactly my thoughts. Sheepskin pads are designed to be placed directly on the horses' back - NOT on top of another pad. It totally defeats the purpose of using a sheepskin pad! That is the correct way to use them and who cares what others think - I sure as hell don't.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Baby Pad

Please, WHAT is a baby pad?? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                        X