• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How much would you put in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you put in?

Scenario: Free leasing mare from friend. Said horse has intermediate experience, I am trying to get over an irrational fear of drop fences after coming off a few years ago and not fixing it right away. The horse eats drops for breakfast. My current goal aside from gaining confidence is to do a T3D.

Horse is shipped to me, gets off the trailer very "stiff". Improves over the next week, but still not 100%. I got the vet out, vet knows the horse, my coach knows the horse. Vet's verdict (with out rads, but knows history) is that she will most likely need hocks injected (rads first), bar shoes in front, trailers in back, to go on isox, and Adequan wouldn't hurt. That adds up awfully quick.

As soon as I heard all this I decided that she needed to go home. I am not prepared to dish out this amount of money. period.
    I called my friend and told her what the vet said. She said she would pay for the hock injections.

Would you keep her and see if the shoes made a difference if the owner paid for the injections?
    Apparently the horse has been on Isox before and it didn't make a difference.

I really like the horse, I don't want to send her back. I can't spend my show season budget on getting her sound enough to cross my fingers and hope it works out. She was going to need shoes anyway, I just didn't think they would need to be anything special. I don't know if I should hope that shoes and injecting her hocks will help?

For me, having a good steady horse that I can go out and have FUN on is worth it - so I'd give it a shot, keep her for a month and then send her back if it doesn't work out, so you're not blowing the whole butget if she doesn't stay sound - only a couple hundred bucks for one set of special shoes.

All horses are different of course, but we have a few that get injections at my barn that only need them once every 6 months or so, at around $150 or less per horse/visit. I've paid more then that on tooth maintnance on a mare I had years ago, who also needed shoes on all 4, etc. etc. This is a moot point if the friend is going to be paying for it, but it's good to know anyways.

Just put it to your friend that you're only going to try to get her sound for X ammount of time, and if it's a no go send her back.
    www.felixfjord.blogspot.com

Comment

Option A) put a few hundred in and see if that fixes this horse
      Option B) wait for a dead honest packer who is 100% sound as well as free

I'd be willing to bet which will get you in the showring faster....

Jennifer
      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

You need to get your confidence back mpre than you need to compete.

I'd stick with this horse (and associated maintennce) at least until YOU are "eating drops for lunch".

I would NOT count on finding a free lease with a horse that can give you back you confidence over drops, AND has no maintenance issues.
        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          You need to get your confidence back mpre than you need to compete.

I'd stick with this horse (and associated maintennce) at least until YOU are "eating drops for lunch".

I would NOT count on finding a free lease with a horse that can give you back you confidence over drops, AND has no maintenance issues.
          I completely agree with this.
          I had a similar experience with a free lease, unreal horse with advanced experience when i had some serious confidence issues. He had some maintenance issues and we put a lot more than expected into him (adequan, legend, hocks, coffin joints injected-that was our last resort-, i think we injected a few other things, isox, aspirin) but it was all very worth it. I rode 3 shows on him before my vet made the decision it wasn't worth it because he just wasn't getting sound after the last show. My "thing" was trakehners and down banks-now I ride a horse who is not a packer, but 100% sound and b/c of my packer I now eat trakehners and down banks for breakfast and am successfully going prelim (:
          ANYWAYS, yes, I would give her a shot because resolving confidence issues are far more worth it than getting in a couple extra shows.
          http://eventer4life.wordpress.com

Comment

I guess it depends on if you can comfortably afford it-- if you can't, it's not worth going into debt for, but if you can, horses like this are probably worth some maintenance especially if you aren't paying to lease. And you will most likely have to put 4 shoes on anyway, right? The bar shoes/ trailers should not add that much, and Adequan once you've done the loading dose is not that bad.

Comment

Horses need shoes no matter what (at least most of them) so I wouldn't consider shoes, even special ones, a ridiculous excess. I personally think isoxuprine is useless, so would skip that. Adequan is great but I'm a firm believer in adding one thing at a time, so I'd start with shoes and hock injections, get the mare fit-fit-fit (lots of walking) and see what you have in a month or two.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

Agree that having the hocks paid for will help a lot. Shoes you will have anyway--bars/trailers are not usually that awful. Isox seems like an odd recommendation without rads or history but I am not a vet.

Anyway, for me the crucial question would be the horse's history. Has she been actively competing, or are you bringing her back from years off? Did she require any/all of these maintenances to compete in the past? In other words, do you have reason to believe that she can be kept sound competing with some maintenance? Or was she retired due to soundness 3 years ago and this is sort of a Hail Mary comeback? The more toward the former, the more I'd be willing to risk to see if I could get her sound.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
                  You are right, getting my confidence back is more important then competing. I guess since she isn't sound now I am worried that even if I try everything she still wont be sound. I guess adding the shoes and doing her hocks and waiting what? a month 6 weeks to see if it helps?

Does that sound reasonable?

Comment

Although I am not an eventer, let me tell you that having a horse who can help you get your confidence back is worth its weight in PLATINUM!
                    I am free leasing a horse from a friend and I've had him for a week and a half and my confidence is coming back each and every ride. I'd spend the money on this horse to help you with YOUR confidence!

Comment

It is SOOOO worth it. Keep the mare and give her a chance to go sound with hock injections and the shoes she needs for support. We purchased an older ( 17) OTTB event horse last year who occasionally can be a bit stiff sometimes, and every penny spent on this lovely horse is worth it a million times over! As soon as she goes sound, you will be kicking yourself for ever doubting your decision to keep her!

Comment

I guess adding the shoes and doing her hocks and waiting what? a month 6 weeks to see if it helps?
                        That's exactly what I would do. Lots of turnout, get her fit with lots of walk and trot, and see what you have in a month or two. Good luck! An old XC machine of a mare who eats drops and spits out ditches? PRICELESS. Been there, had one, would take 10 copies and never share them with anyone.
                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

I'd put the $ in - and it sounds like you have a good plan - even if it means you're going to have to skip a competition or two or three. It's the confidence you get back from riding this one - not just competing! - that's going to give you the ability to ride the less expensive (greener or trickier) later on. I had one, spent absolutely every cent I had on him, and never regretted it for a second. Good luck!

Comment

I agree with the others that she's worth a little extra $$ if she'll help you with your riding and confidence. The only thing that I would caution is to bring her back to work slowly. I don't know how much work she was in before you got her, but I've found with my older horse, that it takes much longer for them to build fitness and strength.

But they are soooo worth it. An old Thoroughbred mare that loves her job is priceless. I put a lot more money into Pretty Princess Lissell than some of my friends have to put into their horses (I just figured it out to about $5.44/day), but it's money well spent. So well spent.

So I say give her a shot. But know that she may never be 110% sound. Lissell is 100% sound for her job, but there are days where I just have to ignore the occasional off step and go for a hack instead. But she's 19 going on 20, so it's just the way it is.
                            Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
                            Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm gonna give it a go!
                              She gets shoes on next Monday and the vet is coming on Tues to take rads and possibly inject her hocks. I'm gonna say six weeks, cause she'll need two weeks after the injections before we are really "working/fitting up" again.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this works

Thanks everyone!!

Comment

I'd talk to the vet about "generic" forms of Adequan, there are quite a few options out there for IM injections that can be cheaper. I would not do the isox.
                                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

All I'm gonna do for now is put shoes back on and her hocks. I can't afford to do it all.

Comment

Good luck! I bet you will be pleased with your results and glad you kept her! I hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                                      Isox seems like an odd recommendation without rads or history but I am not a vet.
                                      Isox is cheap and can help so a lot of vets recommend it because you arent out a ton of money if it doesnt help. And its one of those things "it cant hurt".

I agree with the general concensus shared here, having the hocks paid for will certainly help and having a horse like that is CERTAINLY worth the cost of her maintenance.

Comment

The only thing I probably wouldn't do are the hock rads. Just get them injected. Any horse over ten who's gone intermediate will need them done so just do them and save yourself some money on the rads.

Comment

Working...
                                        X