• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Year in Eventing....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Year in Eventing....

Just thought I'd start the thread....how was your year in eventing? What big, significant, important things happened in the sport, in your opinion? What good stuff happened? Bad stuff? What do we have to cheer about after the end of 2011? Did you have a good year? If bad, why? Did money make a huge difference in your eventng this year? Did you have a horse get hurt/go lame/off the team/sold on, or did you buy a new one/ride a new one/move up a level and have a great time? Did you event for the first time? Did you event after a long time off?
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Had a good year! Maresy and I had a blast! Look forward to hearing others stories.

Comment

I'll play... My year was pretty good! I found my good friend and trainer after some time apart and we we right back at it. I don't know enough about the politics of eventing to comment on the big stuff that happened this year but I am excited to see some of our younger riders gaining some success and hopefully becoming the future of US eventing.

My year, personally was quite good. My ex GP dressage horse and I made the move from schooling to recognized trials. We started out at 5 Points with our first recognized novice outing. Then we went on to The Ark which had a pretty beefy xc course and we ended up winning! We also made it down to Poplar Place and the big man made a really good showing over some tough terrain showing me that he really is happy and ready to move on doing this job. He finished the season sound and waaaaaaay fit. I couldn't be happier with him. I'm looking to go big or go home in 2012 and we're already qualified for AEC!

I hope to maybe do a training event or two later this season and just keep having a blast with my red man. Money is always an issue, but I budget for it and eat a lot of PB&J. :-) I hope everyone else had a great year too. I look forward to meeting a few more COTHers at events next year!

Comment

I did my first recognized event this year

I also jumped my first 3'3 fence and jumped my first training level x-country fence (first of many!).

I got to clinic with Phillip Dutton and Sally Cousins.

This year awesome.. 2012 has a lot to live up too!
        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

I also feel like I don't really know enough to comment on the arena of eventing as a whole.

My year was a mixed bag, but definitely with more good than bad. My horse was diagnosed with severe Headshaking Syndrome after draining my savings account with every test we could throw at him in one day at Cornell - after he was essentially unrideable outside from July-October.

But, we also have an experimental treatment set up to start in January, and I am trying to stay positive. Because we have both come SO FAR in our training in the past year, and I truly believe we will be a force together - when we're on, we're *so* on. Now I just have to find that darn switch..

Overall I learned to take every day as it comes, live in the now, appreciate the horse I have, not the horse I wish I had, understand my strengths and weaknesses (AND BE OKAY WITH THEM) as a rider and an owner and caretaker and partner to my horse. I was incredibly humbled, yet always encouraged by my sweet gelding and my phenomenal trainer.

I look forward to reading about everyone else's 2011! But moreover, cheers to a GREAT 2012 for all! Health (please stay sound), happiness (please don't let that grouchiness be ulcers), and good competition (please ignore the two hundred sheep nearby and jump this scary table) to all!

Comment

2011 has been the best year of my life!

I took my 5 year old OTTB to his first show ever in March and competed in the Starter division. We finished our last show of the season in November at our first ever Training and got 1st place with a 35.7

Jumped my first 3'10" course, did my first 1st level dressage test, and schooled the Prelim XC course at a local facility for the first time.

It was a year of growing, improving, and having fun for us and I've never learned so much in my life as I have in this one year.

2012 has some big shoes to fill

Can't WAIT for the next chapter!
            Last edited by TheBrightSide06; Dec. 22, 2011, 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling :)
            Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Comment

I dipped my toes in the eventing waters in 2010 and dove in head first in 2011! Lincoln has totally exceeded my expectations at every turn. Also, I suspect he has his own fan club in area 2 We met many wonderful people on the way.

We're starting 2012 with a bang - a nine day trip to Aiken at the end of February
              The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

We had a great year this year - watched our big horse start to solidify his relationship with his then temporary, now permanent rider this past spring, accomplished all the goals set for him, enjoyed a little extra icing on the cake and came out of the 2011 season super sound and happy.

Our new horse also got off to a great start, with solid performances from Beginner Novice through Training and came home with a great foundation for the future.

Driving was great for me as well, a move up and consistently improving performances, including year end top finishes in two of the largest classes in preliminary at CDEs this year in the US.

Next year should be even better, highlighted by two family members representing the US in polocrosse, me as team manager to the national Under 16 team headed to New South Wales Australia, and son on the US National Team headed to Zambia - the first time any sports team of any type has ever been hosted by the Zambian nation.

Hoping for a GREAT year with the big horse, the new horse and the driving pony as well!
                www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

Good part of the year: getting Toby! I LOVE THIS HORSE. I am so, so lucky to have had the opportunity to buy him.

Bad part of the year: Being plagued by minor injuries and issues, which basically ended our first season together in June. The last event we completed was in May did two in June, but retired on xc at both (one for hard ground that he didn't care for and I didn't care to run him on, one for a heel grab). BUT, that's ok. Stuff happens. He's healed up and feels like a million bucks and we have all winter to get strong and fit and better than ever. The most disappointing part of his injuries and the secondary issues from them was that he scars very easily...my plain black horse now has a lot of white hairs all over his beautiful black legs

2011 sucked as whole for me (other than Toby) and while the last two months have made it bearable (new job! new home! sound horse!), I will be VERY glad to watch 2011 disappear in my rearview mirror.
                  Amanda

Comment

Nonexistent. Unless you count the wonderful announcing jobs I had this year - Greater Dayton, IEA, Gemwood, Hunter's Run and Penny Oaks.
                    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

I missed Aiken in the spring and after having a few early season events cancelled and shortened, became weather shy after that. Hesitated to enter later season events and actually some of them were cancelled as well. Wasn't the best of years. But 2010 was considerably better (trips to AEC and WEG), and 2012 should be awesome as well.... if the weather holds out!!!!

Comment

2011 started out not-so-well for me - ski injury kept me away from my Aiken trip, and missed a few months of riding. Then I came to the very hard decision that my much-loved horse would prefer to hunt and skip the eventing thing. After that, my year improved.. I found a great hunt home for him. Started horse shopping - not as much fun as it sounds! But after a few months of looking, I found my new partner. I am just thrilled with him, had fun hunting in the late fall, and am looking forward to getting started eventing with him, and to a fun-filled 2012.

Comment

My season left a lot to be desired... We came out of the winter strong, had a great first couple of outings at a combined test, and a horse trial. Then next event, horse dumped me at the ditch. Okay, just a fluke, I was looking at it, no big deal. Next event, eliminated at the ditch. Okay, ditches are a problem... Event after that I scratched because it was downpouring and the footing was horrendous. Event after that we lost a shoe literally right before I loaded him on the trailer. Event after that he dumped me at the ditch, yet again. Event after that we retired because he was not acting right at all. Ulcers. Missed the event after that due to them. Was going to run one final event of the season and drop to Beginner Novice just to give him a good outing... cancelled because it snowed in October! So we finished one event out of 8 we were supposed to go to... (Finished 1, Eliminated 3, Retired 1, Cancelled 1, Scratched 2)

As a bonus, the events where we got eliminated at the ditches were learning experiences for dressage and stadium. Every event this season his dressage had gotten better and better and his stadium rounds have been perfect. I already have a plan with my trainer for the spring to go and school every ditch in Area 1 before the season starts. He's not a jerk about them, he just doesn't understand them. Give him a ditch thats two feet wide or less, no problem. Anything bigger then that and he's ducked, spun, and long gone!

As another bonus, he's healthy, fit, and sound. He's schooling Second Level dressage. We're starting to jump 3'6" courses. Aside from the ditches, he's a rockstar cross country. This season has humbled me a lot and taught me a lot too. It has made me a better rider and although it could have gone a lot more smooothly, I am grateful for everything it brought. Next season, after we get over our ditch issues we're looking for smooth sailing at a few Novices and then making the move to Training. Bring on 2012!

Comment

a mixed bag. My fancy youngster made it clear at the start of the year that he wants to be a fancy dressage horse, not an eventer, so off he went. I bought a nice youngster and actually did an unrecognized on him in July and had a blast. I then fell in love with an OTTB and bought him too. He is coming along well. One of the assistants at my barn is riding the other and he is doing super. I bought another for a friend, but he ended up having arthritis in his neck. Retread is working on finding him a new home. It was disappointing as he is super talented. I'm hoping for an actual show season in 2012 which will be my first since 2008.
                            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Our 2011 trip to NC for the Adult Riders camp was cancelled due to Tess getting sore in all four feet. Bad Farrier! New farrier fixed everything, so Tess was ready to do her first CT by the end of March.

This year was my year to improve myself, so I attended clinics with Robin Walker, Jim Graham and a camp with Eric Dierks and Doug Payne. I learned so much from riding with these wonderful instructors.

Tess placed in every event. She is such a good girl! We ended up in the top 10 for the USEA year end awards, in Master Rider and Master Amateur Rider.

The only sour note had to do with the bad Scorer's/Officiating at this year's AEC's. We were in 5th place after dressage. We went double clear on cross country and, according to the online scoring, moved up to 4th place. WhooHoo!

A friend looked at the "official scoreboard" and found that we had been given 20 penalty points for a refusal. After an Inquiry, the Officials agreed to move me out of 34th place, back into 4th. The scorers had transposed my score with a rider who had gone behind me. A huge "Thank You!" to Sally Ike for being such an observant TD!

The next day, before SJ, I went to the Officials trailer to make certain that everyone knew that I had been put back into 4th place. I was told that everyone knew what to do. They forgot to tell the SJ Arena Steward. She told me that I was supposed to ride in the 34th place position and had missed my ride time. It took about 20 minutes to get everything resolved.

What I learned about myself that day was that I do not handle that kind of stress well. My warm up went badly. I dropped a rail and dropped out of the money to 11th place.

Am I a bit of a whiner about what happened. Yes, because I spent over $1,500 on entry fees, gasoline and hotel expenses, to attend our "national championship". I can fogive one mistake, but the second one has been very hard for me to let go. (Ya think? Since it is December and I am still griping about it. )

I guess that the most concerning part is that I filled out and sent the event evaulation form that Rick Dunkerton sent me and another event evaluation form was sent to the AreaIII Chairman. I recieved no feedback or we are sorry that this happened and will try to make certain that it does not happen to anyone next year. For this reason, even though I have already qualified for next year's AEC's, I will not be going back.

All in all, the excellent clinics and events, in which we competed, do outweigh the negatives that resulted from AEC's.

Now, if these blasted Shingles would go away, so that I can concentrate on 2012, I would be a very happy person!
                              When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Boy, and I thought my chips were down!

Not such a great season. We came out of the gate strong, and would've completed our first T event had I not taken a header after a communication breakdown at the Trakehner. Rarely do I come off in relation to a jump, but the combination of steering malfunction + stall out + launch = Heinz in the mud. Second event, I'd pretty much convinced myself that we couldn't do it by the time we left the start box, and ended up with 2 refusals at fence one (a simple log), one at fence two, and the final two at fence 7 (which happened to be a 7ab water crossing). This is a horse that DOES NOT stop.

Took July-August off, did a few dressage shows and jumper shows. Went to a derby in September, E'd out at the water in 100* weather. Fantastic dressage test, though. Spent the day before the derby at the beach.

Our eventing season: crap.
                                Our dressage season: fabulous.

2012, you better be an improvement! We will be schooling the snot out of every water complex within an hour's drive.

Comment

I had a great year for eventing. I bought a Cleveland Bay/Hanoverian cross named Toby from a lesson barn in January and he turned into an eventer in just a couple of short months – we did our first unrec in March and finished on our dressage score. Overall we've done 5 horse trials, unrec and rec, and that's a lot for me! We even won the dressage once, which is something I never ever thought I'd do. Sadly we were then eliminated when he didn't want to get his feet wet at the water (it was really only his third or fourth time on an XC course), but other than that, we've finished in the ribbons every time.

I never really thought I'd have to funds/talent/luck to have a horse that is not only a total love but is capable of winning at the lower levels, but Toby is it. I'm nuts about him. Best thing to happen to me in a long time.

In 2012 we might even make it to Aiken - time will tell!

Comment

2011--Rain. Record breaking rain. Afraid -to- enter- events type rain. Gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "its a wash."
                                    www.canterusa.org

Comment

I am hesistant to post...superstitious maybe?

I am in California so I will use the phrase "totally awesome dude" and then apologize because it is soooo surfer and not eventer!
                                      I have to say, I am still pinching myself, daily.
                                      My daughter took our homebreds from a terrific year last year and went I with the boys, and moved the mare up to P...and did great with all 3, winning at least once on all of them. She graduated Magna cum Laude from UCLA and continued riding...
                                      We have over the last year, become good friends and working with Heather and John at Phoenix Farm which lead to us farming out some of the 5 going event horses I own, which we can't afford all the entries on! 3 are based in their barn with terrific riders who are delighted with their rides, and I get to go watch my "kids" compete all over the place with 5 riders!!!! Not bad for a bunch of 'backyard' ponies! Poor unsuspecting Heather was giving a lesson one day, when I called her to ask if she would be my reference to give Aberjack a home for the rest of his life..."huh, whats going on?" since she hadn't been near a computer or EN all day...after filling her in, she said "I will call and email Denny and May". That was it. My life changed for the better since that day. Aberjack was flown out here mid-september and I now leave my ranch to go watch the show horses with a much bigger view of the whole picture...The future of the kind of horses I breed from him, for my daughter,my other riders, my friends, and his clients is important. The kind of horses we want to see in our sport,its up to us to create them. Horses for our upperlevel riders...they come from stallions like him and the best mares we can cross on him. I look at mares much differently know..I don't just have to make myself a good riding horse..I have the chance to breed good eventers for the future. I like this job. Somebody asked me about a year ago" Where did these horses come from?" meaning my two geldings romping around 1*..."My backyard" was my reply. Where is Aberjack these days, now that he is the leading event sire for 2011? My front paddock. This is a year I couldn't
                                      even dream up, and I am living it. God bless Aberjack!

Comment

I had a pretty good year. Although my OTTB and I did a second year at training level, it greatly improved our placings, scores and confidence in each other before our move up to prelim. Our dressage scores were on average better than previous years, but there's always work to do. We had a few scores below 30, which was exciting.

Show jumping has always been my weak point, and we only had 2 clear rounds at recognized events, but most other rounds had one rail that was usually my fault.

We moved up to prelim at the VA HT in October after a few years absence on my part. It was his first prelim and I've brought him along since BN, so it was a big accomplishment for me. He skipped around cross-country, and although he had a few rails down show jumping, I'm able to carry the feeling of our cross-country round into the off season and a determination to better our show jumping.

I was very lucky to be able to have a full season where we didn't miss any events due to injury or weather and we ended up second on the USEA Adult Amateur leader board, and 5th on the Adult rider board. We also ended up with a ribbon in the Area II standings and CDCTA.
                                        Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X