• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need help and ideas for rehabbing exracehorse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help and ideas for rehabbing exracehorse

Ok so here;' the deal,...Exracehorse has been on stall rest for about 4months now and I'm starting to slowly bring him back into work,,30-40 mins per day of walking undersaddle..with 5mins of jogging thrown in there. He's been back under saddle now for 16 days. He will be on on stall rest until mid February. Trying to deal with his "hotness" by giving just senior feed and lots of hay as much as he wants. He is a hard keeper so I don't want to cut out the grain as he is still underweight. Thought he might have ulcers so I put him on Ranitidine in early fall with no differing results, He eats alot and drinks plenty as well.He is a good boy but just gets up on his toes and starts tossing his head when under saddle sometimes..some days he's ok other days he's a P.I.A. Teeth are fine ..the bit fits fine..the saddle fits fine..again he's not hothot everyday just on somedays..vet says since is doesn't seem to be a physcial issue that I just need to work through his ""racehorse" mentality and that once he returns to some form of turnout he'll be much better. He's finally starting to let me open gates and close them undersaddle without spooking like crazy(guess the gate reminds him of the "startinggate" at the track). I don't want to ace him thru this..I can handle him when he gets "on his toes" and starts the silly head tossing stuff it's just that I need to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that he will get better at the undersaddle stuff. I'd hate to have to deal with this behavior six months from now. Anyone else who's been thru this and what things worked for you and what didn't?
    BTW..I got him from the track in Mid July..he had a stone bruise and hadn't been raced for a month prior to me getting him. When I bbrought him home he was very quiet but unexperienced to the "outside" world so to speak. He did not toss his head back then or get "on his toes".. rode him for three weeks and than he bowed the tendon in August.
    Sorry this is so long but am I right to think he's "hot" because of the extended stall rest? This is my first exracehorse rehab experience. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

First of all, that is a bummer
    I had a similar situation with my OTTB, he was on stall rest for most of the summer. He was as good as he could be...LOL!

We started doing some clicker training on the suggestion of my boyfriend who works with dogs. At first I just taught him some tricks, but then I found out how useful clicker training can be for other things as well. (Leading, lunging, long lining, and even riding)

The clicker work really gave him something to think about, and he would really look forward to our sessions. It tired him out mentally (instead of physically) & greatly reduced his stall-walking and head throwing behavior.

Anyway, it really worked for us, and our relationship has evolved immensely... I feel like the stall rest was a blessing in disguise

Here is a good resource for clicker training:
    www.ShawnaKarrasch.com
    (You can get a clicker at PetCo and use your own objects for a touch stick, etc)
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Comment

Yes - I would suggest some NH also. That is what I have done with my OTTB. Thank goodness he has the personality of a puppy dog anyway - but - boy when he gets big - - he gets big - if you know what I mean.

But - thru my NH - I have learned how to match his energy and not get all "freaked" out by his "natural ability" to do "airs above the ground" lol.

Plus - I won't lie - I have had him for 5 years now and it's only the past 2 years that we have really gelled - - take the time it takes - don't get frustrated and remember he's only doing what horses do lol!

Good luck!

Comment

Lots of time and lots of patience. I also agree with the groundwork -- lots of it, all kinds of variations, just to keep him interested and focused. Don't worry too much about his weight. It can take a long time for them to look anywhere near decent, and a lot of what they lose is muscle, so that will come back in time with regular work.

Then more time and more patience.

Comment

Ace each and every time you take him out of the stall. You don't want to jeopardize the healing that has taken place by him getting too fractious.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Sorry to disagree...but you are first and foremost rehabbing him from a bow. No ground work or NH stuff. You should be avoiding turns....goal should be to keep him quiet.

Racehorse or not, there are not many horses that would be calm and quiet after 4 months stall rest...add green horse on top of it and you are riding outside....I'm shocked he's not crazy. I wouldn't be pushing opening gates...etc. You should be avoiding uneven footing etc. It sounds like he has a good mind...and once you are done with the re-hab, I bet he will come along quickly.

Ace is your friend. Or someother long term tranq. You can work on the "training" after his rehab is done and he is back on turn out. Until then...you need to do controlled exercise...and you need to keep him quiet even if that means using some chemical assistance. It isn't about what you can or can not ride through....it is about keeping him from hurting himself while healing.
            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Veteran of over a year of stall rest here. (horse, not me)

Let go of the idea that using drugs represents some kind of failure on your part to cowboy up. BFNE is right. The point is to prevent re-injury. You aren't drugging your horse every day to go for a simple hack, you are drugging him to keep him from coming unglued when he's doing the work he needs to do to be able to go outside and be a sensible horse again.

We used reserpine, and added ace on occasion as needed. Worked fine, no side effects, just less risk of horse brain coming detached from rest of horse.

Drugs are your friend. I defer to BFNE and others on the advisability of minimizing turning and other unadvisable types of movement during rehab.
              I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
              I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

This behaviour is typical of many horses who have been locked up in a stall for so long. Sometimes I think that the OTTBs cope better than others!

Comment

I would absolutely agree with Laurierace, BFNE, and Lori B. The rehab is the most important thing right now and I would not want to jeopardize additional injury for want of a cc of Ace. There is nothing wrong with using the tools available to you.

I just went through a very trying ordeal with my horse and his multiple, concurrent soft tissue injuries that did not end well this morning. I would advise you to take this as a cautionary tale and use the drugs and focus on properly rehabbing the horse....

Comment

I would try Omega Alpha Chill and put him on Thiamine B-1 if he's not on it already. Don't know where you're located (I just browsed your post as I'm heading out here soon) but I have my 4 ottb on Phase 3 Pellet (which I'm sure there's an equivalent of) but it's awesome!!! It's a cool energy feed, low in protein and fat but has rice bran and other minerals/ vitamins added. My guy is almost fat if I put him on too much. I had the same with my guy-rehabbed him for 4 mo after a tendon injury then put him on light work-mostly ground driving so not many turns than lightly lunged and than got on and worked after 3 mo of that light work. Now he's going nicely, not crazy and has been sound! My othe ottb is 6 and is super sensitive to everything-gets hives from Timothy and grains and I'm pretty sure his bedding as well and maybe even work and allergens. I just got him a month ago so trying new things on him to see what works-put him on Chill and seemed to work a bit but going to start him on the Thiamine B-1 and thinking of putting him on Gut Coat or Ulsus.
                    I agree though that although you don't want to rely on Tranq's especially since I'm sure you want to show sooner than later, it may be helpful and beneficial to get him through his post rehab with a bit of Ace.
                    I love the Omega products though and highly recommend them! I also have my mare on PreMare and it's been great!

Comment

Wanted to add- that my gelding was on Reserpine during his stall rest, and he was off all grain. He got free choice hay and lots of beet pulp instead. He did get ribby, but... he stayed sane enough to heal properly.

I agree with everyone here stating that drugs are your friend. The last thing you want is a re-injury!

Most of the clicker stuff I did with Pie was in his stall. It is definitely important to not add any extra stress to the injury, so I also agree with the notes about groundwork above. Pie learned tricks like picking up an object-'fetch', and I also trained him to stand perfectly still while I was wrapping his legs. He also learned how to stand perfectly still wearing the ice boot. The positive reinforcement training made all of it 'fun' for him.

It made a huge difference in both of our demeanors... and Pie actually got to go out in a paddock 2 months sooner than we had expected because the ultrasound looked that good! It has been 8 months now, and he is going strong, now in full work.
                      Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
                      Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
                      Take us to print!

Comment

I think you're on the right track with him, hacking out and lots of walking is the way to go.

I would really think about changing his feed. Senior feeds are still molasses heavy and TBs (and most horses) don't need those sugar levels. If he needs weight, use beet pulp, hay cubes, hay pellets, or alfalfa pellets along with a high fat supplement or ration balancer (Rice Bran or Amplify or one of the ration balancers) for calories.

He needs all the calming he can get and so long as he's not scary skinny, not being fat and round will help your case a little. Excess energy isn't your friend right now

You would be shocked how much weight you can put on your horse without grain! But remember you should be feeding 1.5-2% of his body weight in forage each day...so if he's a 1000 lb horse, that's 15-20 pounds of hay and hay replacers each day. Some horses don't love their hay, but do love cubes, pellets or beet pulp soaked in nice warm water. Plus it will help your possible ulcer problem to keep things in his tummy (and alfalfa has been shown to help ulcers too).

You should try to put him on something like NeighLox daily to help his tummy feel better. Stomach Soother is an all natural one that is also good. THe NeighLox works best if you dissolve it in water and dose it with an oral syringe...in the morning before feeding to coat the tummy.

Also, is there any way you can get him some sort of turnout? A round pen? Something small where he can't hurt himself and can be monitored? Even a half or quarter round pen, like an outside stall to start with if he's super silly. Bring him in when he acts up...it will do a lot for him mentally. Of course, he needs hay to munch on out there too. You may want to Ace him the first day or two for turnout, but that should clear up. He may only get 20 mins at first, but if you always bring him in when he acts up, that will get longer and longer.

I volunteer for an OTTB rescue, and we use these methods with a lot of horses, either straight off the track, following long layups, and coming back into work. No grain, as much turnout as they will tolerate, and lots of low key walking to build muscle and attention span! And did I mention, no grain!?
                        TPR!
                        Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
                        www.goodhorse.org

Comment

You're not in any way seeing the real horse, unless you plan not to turn him out, ever. This isn't the time to train him. Just get through the rehab as safely and quickly as possible, with drugs if necessary.

Comment

Use drugs, Go slow, take your time, those are the three hardest words for me personally. but,inthis instance, patience will be your best friend. Lots of straight lines, and quiet walks will pay off, immensly in the end. Good Luck, and dont forget to share his progress!
                            May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                            www.mmceventing.com

Comment

Just to add to the others as well....what you are seeing is NOT your real horse. OTTBs in my experience do deal better with the stall rest than others but still it is hard on them.

I put mine on an ulcer supplement. If they can deal with alfalfa....not all do...I give soaked alfalfa cubes. The goal is to get as much hay into them as possible. I do reduce the grain but put them on a balancer and give them a fat supplement as well as a protein supplement (I've had good luck with Tri-amino http://www.smartpakequine.com/triami...x?cm_vc=Search)

You are hopefully half way done. Just stick with the slow program and when he is 100% and back on turn out, you will then be able to find out what a nice horse you have.
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I have had good success with reducing just to a ration balancer (I use TC 30%) and using slow feed hay bags so they are always eating.

I echo the drugs! Seriously, the quietest horses can become monsters during stall rest/rehab. I only think of keeping myself safe and not allowing the horse to do anything wrong.

I'm comfortable with giving drugs IV so I used sedivet instead of ace because the last horse I rehabbed was a total bear with ace but puppy dog on sedivet. I would give it to him while I tacked up and I was good to go.

I made sure to ride him when the farm was quiet and there were no distractions. Once he started his turnout he got his brain back
                                http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Seriously, the quietest horses can become monsters during stall rest/rehab.
                                  SO true -- I have a complete bambi of a mare who was (understandably) pretty unpredictable on stall rest. We'd be hand grazing for 15 minutes, then suddenly 'bam' she is standing on her hind legs waving her front legs around. Nothing I've done in the saddle has been as consistently nerve-wracking as hand grazing my stall-rested horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lori B View Post
                                    SO true -- I have a complete bambi of a mare who was (understandably) pretty unpredictable on stall rest. We'd be hand grazing for 15 minutes, then suddenly 'bam' she is standing on her hind legs waving her front legs around. Nothing I've done in the saddle has been as consistently nerve-wracking as hand grazing my stall-rested horse.

Well I have been handgrazing and hand walking my horse for 2months prior to getting him undersaddle..and that explosion from nowhere would happen too..so actually I feel a little more comfortable riding him sometimes.. Today when I rode him he was very good compared with being nutso yesterday so I'll take the tiny baby steps and look into changing some of his grain dosage etc..and yes I do turn him out in a 12x12 stall (just four sections of a round pen) for about 60-90 minutes daily if possible. Sometimes he can get his shorts in a bundle in that thing too but seems to calm down right away. I will also strongly consider aceing him..not for me but to make sure he doesn't reinjure himself during this process. I just want to say a big thankyou to everyone for your suggestions. It really helps knowing that other people have successfully gone through the same thing with their horse and it gives me that extra belief that I'm not too crazy bcuz I still believe this horse has got alot too offer=. It's like peeling back the layers of an onion...I've had exracehorses , in fact still have an awesome one I've done eventing with but never got one straight off the track. Again thanks for all the ideas...to be continued....

Comment

Agree with Laurierace, bornfreeandnowexpensive, LoriB, and3phase. Medication gives you a reliable way of handling his physical rehab. Everytime he blows up, the question is not whether you can handle it,but whether he has just undone months of stall rest.
                                      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I think that a stall rested horse can be honestly dangerous to handle, because in my experience, they can give no warning that they are about to pop. And it's hard to manage your horse's rehab from a hospital bed or while wearing a cast.

Comment

Working...
                                        X