• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Aiken SC Info Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiken SC Info Please

Sorry for crost post. I posted in H/J but received no response.

I know Aiken is a big area for eventers, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to the H/J scene out there. My husband and I are contemplating moving there in about a year. I mostly do local h/j (jumpers) schooling shows. I wouldn't mind a few A shows, but mostly I do schooling shows, around 3' and hopefully up to 3'6" this summer. (Fingers crossed).

We are planning a short trip there in January. Any "must do" things to see, places to go?

Also, when people say the footing is great, is it because of a sandy soil? Does it drain well (quickly)?

I know people say the summer heat and bugs are bad, and I know that. I'm in Mid-TN now, and we get a hot, humid, buggy summer, too, so it won't be a whole lot different. What's a few more degrees?

Any other comments/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hi, Welcome to Aiken. I love aiken- there is soooo much to do all the time and from many many disciplines.

you can check out the horse scene a few places:

the aiken horse: www.aikenhorse.com which is a paper that is done every 2 months about the aiken equine scene. You should definitely pick one up at a feed store or horse oriented store.

for the h/j scene: try: www.psjshows.com. They have many schooling/ local shows, combined tests, dressage shows and 'A' rated shows as well. They also have a facebook page with great information.

If your bringing horses down: definitely check out Hitchcock woods.

The ground has great drainage! A few months back we had like 5 inches of rain in 7 hours and there was standing water for the first time I have lived here when it was coming down. But after a few hours of no rain, you could barely tell it rained, but the footing was great. I don't even have footing in my arena, just the local sand. The only bad part is that it gets dusty and you do have to water it. The only other thing is that the sand makes it a pain to grow grass for pasture- you have to lyme and fertilize it a lot and because it doesn't hold water too well, hope that you get the rain you need.

It is a great place. Yes it gets hot in the summer and the bugs are bad in the summer, really the horse flys and nats, but it is a great place if you have horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. I will definitely check out those resources. For our little weekend visit in January we are not bringing the horses. But I want to check Hitchcock anyway!

Any nice tackshops you would recommend?

Thanks, again. I'm looking forward to my visit.
      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

There is a good h/j population in Aiken, as well. Most of my massage clients in the area are eventers, but a handful are active in h/j schooling or recognized shows. The Highfields showgrounds is nice and hosts many h/j shows each year. The links already given should get you to the calendars that will list most of the local showing opportunities.

There is a good-sized tack shop in Aiken that seems to have a good selection (I've only popped in briefly while working in the area ... no serious shopping!). I can highly recommend The Tack Room near me in Camden. Plenty of people make the hour-ish drive from the Aiken area to Camden to visit.

Aiken is a nice area, and the horse folk mostly seem to be friendly and welcoming, even across disciplines. I think you and your husband will enjoy it there! You will find the summer very similar to mid-TN; it just stretches a little longer down here.
        Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
        -Albert Camus

Comment

As coloredhorses said, there is good tack store in town called Oak Manor Saddlery, where you can get most stuff you may need especially if you are a h/j. There is also Boots, Bridles and Britches, which is decent selection, and then there is tack also available at Aiken Saddlery feed store.

The Tack Room in Camden is AWESOME! and only a little over an hour drive. It has a huge selection of stuff.

Oak Manor will try and find anything if you need it in particlar. There are 6+ feed stores in Aiken plus one just a short drive in Williston. many hay dealers. And the local shows bring in a variety of tack shops as well in their mobil units like Bit of Britain, Devacoux, and used tack places (i'm only naming a small few , there are many more that come to the area).

We have our own feed mill that IMO have a great selection of feeds for your horse's needs.

Comment

I moved to Aiken 2 years ago from the mid west. We had not moved in 22 years. The thing I like about it is that VERY FEW of the horse people here are from Aiken, so they are very welcoming. You don't feel like the 5th wheel trying to get into an already established group.

I went into shock over hay prices, but have found a way to deal with that. The hunter jumper scene is fairly active, but not on a major scale like eventing. Highfields does a nice job with the PSJ shows so as long as you aren't looking for the big time, you should be quite happy with what you would find there.

Comment

I'm going down there in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced hotels? I just need a place to sleep, doesn't need to be fancy, just clean and reputable.
              "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

I always have stayed at the Holiday Inn express on whiskey road. Across the way is the fairfield inn, which is nicer, but doesn't allow dogs.
                Hope you give me a ring when you are here. Sorry things didn't work with your daughter.
                save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Originally posted by fivehorses View Post
                  I always have stayed at the Holiday Inn express on whiskey road. Across the way is the fairfield inn, which is nicer, but doesn't allow dogs.
                  Hope you give me a ring when you are here. Sorry things didn't work with your daughter.
                  Hey Five = I'm sorry too. I appreciate you taking the time to show her the place. We will only be there for two days...driving the in laws down, visiting with the kid and flying back. I would like to see your place, not sure if I'll have time this time. I've never been to Aiken, so I hope to be able to go again with more leisure.
                  "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

I went into shock over hay prices, but have found a way to deal with that. The hunter jumper scene is fairly active, but not on a major scale like eventing. Highfields does a nice job with the PSJ shows so as long as you aren't looking for the big time, you should be quite happy with what you would find there.[/QUOTE]

Sure would appreciate a PM on just how you managed to deal with the hay price issue! Am heading down on New Years Day- barring any weird and snowy things happening. Was bring a bit of hay in my empty side of the trailer- but just enough to make the transition to a different hay slower on both his stomach and my wallet.
                    OP- if you make it down in January- give me a call, always happy to have a beer or coffee with a fellow COTHer!
                    http://www.Non-InvasiveEquineTherapy.com/
                    http://www.facebook.com/NonInvasiveEquineTherapy

Comment

The Holiday Inn Express is no longer..it is now a Clarion. The Sleep Inn is ok, not anything really cheap in Aiken that is what I would consider clean and safe.
                      "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                      carolprudm

Comment

Chism,
                        I have the extra bedroom...pm me if you want. I can put you up. Would be good to see a fellow new englander. Plus, I would be more than happy to give you the 5cent tour.
                        I am sure your daughter knows the area better than me, but I must say, I have put miles on these roads in my search for my property.
                        PM me if you want.
                        Hope to see you.

Comment

Chism,
                          I have the extra bedroom...pm me if you want. I can put you up. Would be good to see a fellow new englander. Plus, I would be more than happy to give you the 5cent tour.
                          I am sure your daughter knows the area better than me, but I must say, I have put miles on these roads in my search for my property.
                          PM me if you want.
                          Hope to see you.

You are right mrodes...they did switch last spring. I have stayed there and also the Carriage House in town(which was lovely). Both are super convenient.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, Wolfmare. We'll be there the weekend of January 5 to check out Aiken. Would love to meet up.

Thanks, all, for the information!
                            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Wolf, I take my own hay to Aiken with me from here (Saco).....if I don't, I come home to a barn-full and soon it is time to make more! This year I only have 1 trailer going so it will be trickier. My friend Pixie Trix just took a full load of hay down from NY, went home again then goes back to Aiken mid-January. Maybe I have to consider that for this year. Still save $$ by having my own hay down there......
                              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Not going to have too much room for extra hay, I am going to be pretty full in the truck- I pay $5 up here anyway- but for a good bale- what will I have to pay there Polly? Plus I can feed less than I would here over the winter- I like free feed hay when it is so dang cold. Like today.
                                Where are you guys stabling this year Pol? Would love to meet up with you too! I will be riding right past Pam's new house going to the Wood- if I remember right which street she bought on!
                                Getting pretty excited about the trip- heading out new years eve early- and stopping overnight in Flemington NJ to welcome the new year in with my sis- if the weather co-operates!
                                http://www.Non-InvasiveEquineTherapy.com/
                                http://www.facebook.com/NonInvasiveEquineTherapy

Comment

Hey Wolfie-

We're back at New Bridge again, Feb 1st. Em and I will be sleeping at Gatewood-an easy walk to Maria's! ;-) After our crowd leaves, at the end of March and with luck, we'll be at Stable on the Rail for the first 2 weeks of April.

I cut my own hay here, I fear Aiken hay is beyond imagination. I've always taken my own so am not sure of the cost down there but I *THINK* it is in the double digits. EquineDriver or 5 Horses, can you confirm? I need to get busy with the logistics of this project!
                                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Depending on if you want TOA, OA, Timothy, alfalfa it can range from $12/ bale to $22-25/ bale.

It definitely is expensive. When I was in KY this summer, picked up a load of TOA for $5/bale- loaded as much as I could.... luckily on 1 horse is on it, the rest are good on the coastal we get locally.

If someone is thinking of getting a full load down of TOA or OA i might be interested in buying some bales...

Comment

• Original Poster

What does the local coastal run per bale, average?
                                      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                                        What does the local coastal run per bale, average?
                                        If you get it from a feed store, I would say $8.00 - $9.00.

If you get it from a farmer, $4.00 - $5.00.

Comment

Working...
                                        X