• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Exercises to help horse who jumps hard right in the air?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercises to help horse who jumps hard right in the air?

Cute little paint horse jumps HARD to the right over fences.
    Like, bust off my cheek on the red flag kind of hard.
    Like, he takes off in the middle and lands by the right standard. HARD right.

His left hind and left back are weak. So yes, we work on strength.

**I had the Fredericks DVDs at one point and Lucinda mentioned she had a horse who jumped right and to cure this she always turned X direction on the landing.

I can't remember what direction she turned...and for the life of me my visual imagination can't figure it out which direction would help.

ex: if I plan on turning left, I might accidentally drift right in order to make a wider turn.
    or,
    if I plan on turning right, I might look right and my horse will want to drift right.
    My brain is having it's own fight with the visuals.

We use lots of placement poles, usually jump Xs, and build crap piles all on the right side of fences to help keep him straight but he just lands on top of everything as he feels.

I also like to counter canter around the corner to my exercises in either direction which helps me keep his shoulder straight.
    This actually helps the MOST.

I also do a bit of jump and then stop straight kind of stuff...followed by a pop on the shoulder or haunch according to what has drifted.

Anyone know what Lucinda said about her right difter in that DVD?
    I gave my set away to a COTHer last year.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

My last guy pushed hard right as well. I aimed left to right over the fence and/or turned left after the fence.

Comment

Maybe flick your crop by his right eye as you're jumping, so he thinks he's gotten too close to the standards?
      Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.

My favorite podcasts: Overdue, The Black Tapes, Tanis, Rabbits, How Did This Get Made?, Up and Vanished.

Comment

Turning after the jump conditions the horse to expect something AFTER he jumps. You're trying to correct the issue AS he jumps. Determine an exercise/protocol/practice that will assist in this effort.

You mention he's weak behind on the left. That was my thought (well, not "weak left behind!") when I read the thread title ... "What's going on with his anatomy?"

I would investigate that further, then determine what you can do to strengthen him bilaterally. If jumping must remain part of the program, you might try angling him from right to left on approach/take-off.

Good luck!
        When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

I have one that does this.

If they jump hard to the right, jumping on a right circle is usually easier to keep them straight for me.

I have more trouble if I'm either turning from the left to the fence or after.

To me it is less critical as to the direction you turn after the fence as that you had them straight to the fence and on take off.

I know a TON of exercises to help with this. We often put a pole up on top of the right standard with the left side down...like / So if they jump right, they jump a bigger fence. You still have to make sure you aim to keep them STRAIGHT on take off and still aim to the middle of the fence. Just make sure you leave space between the the / pole and the jump so if they hit it, it has room to fall.

Placing rails both set perpend. to the fence etc.

Last but not least ..... LOTS of just right leg over the fence and lots of lateral work on the ground moving off your right leg.

ETA: I also agree with Robby...if they are jump hard Right it usually means they are pushing more with their left hind than right.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

One of my trainer's horses does this, or rather tends to drift left. His is not so much an anatomy/weakness issue but a bigness/striding issue. You have to keep him infront of your leg and have impulsion to the jump. He can canter stride over 4', so scope is not an issue either.

If you do not have him infront of your leg and solid to the jump, he will drift left instead of changing his striding or chipping in.

Comment

Jump on a left circle. And when you make straight approaches, land and turn left. And make sure you use both reins to steer - both reins to the left and your right leg to ask for your left turn. If he gets his neck bent to the left, he will tend to drift right, so keep the neck straight.

Ajierene also makes a great point. The horses that like to dive to one direction over a jump are often behind the leg at takeoff. Remember that forwardness creates straightness.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
              Facebook page

Comment

Couple things that haven't been mentioned. Does he jump hard right if you free jump him? It would be interesting to see how much your ride is affecting the behavior. Check you're aids on the left. I'm sure your closing off the right but sometimes we're not as good at being independent with our aids/balanced as we need to be. Make sure you are softening to the left as much as your closing off the right. On subtle drifts you can often address them by softening the opposite aids instead of strengthening the obvious one.

Comment

In addition to what's been mentioned, approach your fences to the right of center (the direction he drifts) and push him left starting a stride or two out and over the fence. You can set poles out to help...you set them perpendicular to the jump dead center with the goal to approach to the right of the pole and land to the left.

I've had a couple that came to me with extreme one-sidedness issues and my 3-part "fix" has been 1) flatwork 2) circles over fences (I prefer to circle a right-diver to the right to get them picking up their right shoulder rather than dropping it, which is even easier to the left) and 3) riding the majority of our jumps right to left.

Comment

Originally posted by lstevenson View Post
                    Jump on a left circle. And when you make straight approaches, land and turn left. And make sure you use both reins to steer - both reins to the left and your right leg to ask for your left turn. If he gets his neck bent to the left, he will tend to drift right, so keep the neck straight.

I guess I disagree. I know on my horse who jumps to the right. If I'm turning to the fence from the left (like on a left circle) it is 10X harder to keep his shoulders straight get him to jump straight. If I'm turning from the right on a right circle....I can keep his shoulders straighter and therefore he doesn't jump to to right. Similarly...if I'm coming from the left, I basically need to think counter bend to keep his shoulders straight....and this is why the counter canter works better for the OP...by doing so, she is probably keeping his shoulders straighter.

I have one that jumps left....same thing. Coming off a left turn to the fence is a ton easier to keep him straight both before and over the fence.

I think it really depends as to WHY they are jumping off to one direction or the other.

To me you correct it by getting the horse straight to the fence and pushing off equally....not really off the turn afterwards. But on the right circle, it is easier to get the right hind leg engaged and then have it push straight than on a circle to the left for a horse who drifts right.

Now if they are falling in on the circle...you need to go back to flat work and fix it there.

And if they are disregarding either leg...you fix that first on the flat. Which if a horse jumps to the right EVEN with your right leg on them (and left leg off) and you coming in straight...you need to go back to flat work and get them moving off your right leg and engaging that right hind.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                      My last guy pushed hard right as well. I aimed left to right over the fence and/or turned left after the fence.
                      Reed's brain is backwards today.
                      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Robby Johnson View Post
                        Turning after the jump conditions the horse to expect something AFTER he jumps. You're trying to correct the issue AS he jumps. Determine an exercise/protocol/practice that will assist in this effort.

You mention he's weak behind on the left. That was my thought (well, not "weak left behind!") when I read the thread title ... "What's going on with his anatomy?"

I would investigate that further, then determine what you can do to strengthen him bilaterally. If jumping must remain part of the program, you might try angling him from right to left on approach/take-off.

Good luck!
                        I know isn't that wild? That's why he confuses me so!!
                        He has a weak LEFT side.
                        Yet jumps from Left to Right which would be jumping dominant off the Left hind leg.
                        He's weird.

He's been short for years on the left hind. Then I started riding him a year ago and it's since evened out. He has had the left stifle injected in the past.
                        This year I did both hocks.

The issue was determined in Aug 2011 to actually be in his SI. SI received deep soft tissue injections Aug 2011.
                        Last edited by purplnurpl; Dec. 13, 2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Lots of good suggestions here already. Along these lines:

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                          Last but not least ..... LOTS of just right leg over the fence and lots of lateral work on the ground moving off your right leg.
                          I used to wear a bigger spur on my right foot. The mare dove right after jumps and jumped right when she was green and I would have stronger reinforcement there to send her left (keeping her straight).
                          "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by subk View Post
                            Couple things that haven't been mentioned. Does he jump hard right if you free jump him? It would be interesting to see how much your ride is affecting the behavior. Check you're aids on the left. I'm sure your closing off the right but sometimes we're not as good at being independent with our aids/balanced as we need to be. Make sure you are softening to the left as much as your closing off the right. On subtle drifts you can often address them by softening the opposite aids instead of strengthening the obvious one.
                            errr...my horses don't get to free jump.
                            I'm too old to move everything and set up a shoot to free jump one horse...and then move it all back out.

So my other two horses had really bad drift left issues.
                            This one has a drift right issue.
                            The change makes me happy and confident.

He drifts REALLY bad when he's worried.

Here he is. About to take off being his worried self:
                            http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...obyatGW007.jpg

and here he is 2 seconds later just before landing.
                            http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/toby-1.jpg
                            how did he do that in the air???

SUBK: don't you think I look independent of my horse in that last one?
                            LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
                              Reed's brain is backwards today.
                              Yes, yes, right to left over the fences.

A good possibility is that when he is worried, rather than shorten front to back he goes right to give himself room at the fence. That is what I see in the pictures posted.

Comment

SUBK: don't you think I look independent of my horse in that last one?
                                LMAO!
                                Well at least your bum isn't slamming down on him while he's clearing the rail with his back end! (Sometimes you have to work harder at finding a posititve than others! )

Musing here...Looking at the first picture I almost think you would have had better results if he was coming a little right to left, but bent around your right leg instead of your left. It almost like correcting a popped shoulder--the more you use your inside hand the more they pop it to the outside.

Comment

• Original Poster

So I just went and looked at his photos and there is no hind leg favoritism upon take off.
                                  70% are even back leg take offs, 15% right hind, 15% left hind.

oh, and I found two good photos.
                                  this is pretty much how I end up jumping with him. With the open left rein.
                                  http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/openrein.jpg

and here I am at home working hard to keep him straight.
                                  http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...jumpsright.jpg

here he is NOT drifting right!
                                  aaahahhaha.
                                  http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p..._4524393_o.jpg

I'm pretty much always independent.
                                  Whether or not I'm more frequently independently balanced or completely independent of all contact with my horse has not been determined.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                    I guess I disagree. I know on my horse who jumps to the right. If I'm turning to the fence from the left (like on a left circle) it is 10X harder to keep his shoulders straight get him to jump straight. If I'm turning from the right on a right circle....I can keep his shoulders straighter and therefore he doesn't jump to to right. Similarly...if I'm coming from the left, I basically need to think counter bend to keep his shoulders straight....and this is why the counter canter works better for the OP...by doing so, she is probably keeping his shoulders straighter.

No doubt it's easier to turn right on a horse that wants to drift or fall right. But working on correct left turns after the jump will fix the problem (eventually). It's about bringing the shoulders over to the left.

Facebook page

Comment

The issue was determined in Aug 2011 to actually be in his SI. SI received deep soft tissue injections Aug 2001.
                                      Probably time for an update.

How does the rest of his lumbo-pelvic region look/function?
                                      When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                                        Yes, yes, right to left over the fences.

A good possibility is that when he is worried, rather than shorten front to back he goes right to give himself room at the fence. That is what I see in the pictures posted.
                                        agreed!! but he's on his left lead!
                                        That must be confusing for him....
                                        possibly why in the next shot I was totally unattached to him. Braaahahaaha
                                        We have the 2 camera clicks of him mid air also and they are freakin hysterical.

Comment

Working...
                                        X