• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do you jump in a running martingale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you jump in a running martingale?

Simple question from a simple girl

At the clinic I went to yesterday I noticed that everyone but me was jumping in a running martingale. It didn't "bother" me but I was curious so I asked Sally (Cousins). She started laughing and so did everyone else and said "a horse is never truly tacked up until it has a running on".

She said it's one of those things that doesn't do any harm if you don't need it, but is there if you do, and she has all of her horses in them.

I never thought about riding in one, don't know if I really need it. Do you ride in one? Why?
    http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Keebler (argumentative head tosser): yes, because it makes him mind his manners

Boscoe (anxious head tosser): yes, because it keeps that behavior from escalating and keeps me from having to give him an active correction, which only makes him MORE anxious.

Bonnie (steady girl): no, don't need to

Click here before you buy.

Comment

It's part of our jumping tack. 99% of the time we don't need it (anymore) but that 1% is why its never off

Comment

Pony only gets it on for foxhunting.

The coach for DD's pony club show jumping team actually noticed that he jumps much better without it on so off it came.

Sally's coming to our PC on Sunday. Can't wait!

Comment

Nope -- I have never used one in 25 years. A few horses at our barn use them (because they need to) and I would not hesitate to use one if *needed*, but I have to disagree that you should put one on every horse. Honestly, I just lost some respect for Sally if she is advocating every horse, every time.

Comment

OK, I am from hunterland here. What exactly does a running martingale do other than keeping the horse from hitting you in the face with a head toss? I guess I don't understand why it is a "must-have" on cross country. Does it give you more control without having to go to a bigger bit?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SevenDogs View Post
              Honestly, I just lost some respect for Sally if she is advocating every horse, every time.
              I think the "you're never fully dressed without a running martingale" was a bit of a joke. She did say that if Juice didn't need one I shouldn't use one.
              http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

Yes, because I rarely have a truly steady horse (see DW Keebler comment) and as Sally says if you don't need it, it isn't doing any harm. It is important to adjust it appropriately because if too short, it will get in the way of the horse using its head and neck fully. I typically use a running attachment on my breastplate
                OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Originally posted by Meredith Clark View Post
                  I think the "you're never fully dressed without a running martingale" was a bit of a joke. She did say that if Juice didn't need one I shouldn't use one.
                  Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                    OK, I am from hunterland here. What exactly does a running martingale do other than keeping the horse from hitting you in the face with a head toss? I guess I don't understand why it is a "must-have" on cross country. Does it give you more control without having to go to a bigger bit?
                    I find a running martingale useful with a green horse on a steepish downhill approach to a jump.

If I am riding PERFECTLY, I do not need the martingale.

But if I am riding less-than-perfectly I find that the horse sticks his head in the air as a way to avoid the checking/balancing aid from my hand.

The running martingale partially compensates for the fact that I have let my hand get into the wrong position. But it DOES allow me to rebalance the horse so we aren't running on our forehand into the jump.
                    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

In terms of "never doing any harm", another trainer I knbow (who posts here) doesn't like to use a running martingale on a green horse because she says it interferes with a (wide) opening rein.
                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Maybe because of positioning, I find I can use opening rein fine with running attachment attached to breastplate, but am inhibited by a regular running martingale
                        OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I know at least two ULR who don't like to use running martingales on leverage bits because there is always a tiny bit of weight from the rings on the reins.

I foxhunt in one but rarely use it otherwise. In the hunt field it helps keep my horse well mannered without bitting up.
                          Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                          EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Standard piece of equipment on any horse? No.

For safety in likely-to-be-needed situations? Yes. Such as: first time xc schooling, and/or riding in the open on a green, anxious horse. XC competition on a confirmed head tosser or "see-jump-RUN!" with head in the air type.

However, I HAVE seen horses lose confidence if the martingale is too restrictive. When I do use one, I make sure the rings reach well up to the horse's cheek/TMJ area, or up to the withers. Many attachments are too short, look for one in "oversize" or add an extra-long snap if needed. IMO, no martingale is preferable to a too-short martingale when jumping. For flatwork/hacking, a short one may temporarily serve a useful training purpose.

And for galloping/rehab racing TBs, a little extra leverage from a fork can work wonders!
                            “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                            ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Yes. The convincer was coming on a long downhill approach to a jump with a frost on the grass, too fast. I tried to slow down, he basically inverted his neck and at that point, you have nothing in your hands and feel pretty helpless. I do not use a leveraged bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                In terms of "never doing any harm", another trainer I knbow (who posts here) doesn't like to use a running martingale on a green horse because she says it interferes with a (wide) opening rein.

very much agree!

Comment

Ironically, now that I use a Miklem bridle, I find the running martingale restrictive to my horse. It almost limits my connection to the bit given the way the bit is attached to the bridle.

I like not using the running. I always had one for my old guys but for the newbie, he is unrestricted. And I think given some of the hills we work (up to 20% grades), I prefer not having a running martingale. On those hills I feel it can fold a horse the wrong way (bring their head down) and cause them to endo if they trip.

Comment

heck no!

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                    I was about to say this.

If you don't need them but you have a horse that doesn't turn great it will do much more harm than good!!

I never put one on unless I think it will benefit. It's never a "just because" type of tack for me.

I ride a QH mare now who I thought needed one and it turned out after 2 or 3 rides she did not need it. She told me so in a very pissy way. It ended up being to harsh for her.
                                    Last edited by purplnurpl; Dec. 13, 2011, 11:35 AM.
                                    http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I don't jump in a running martingale, I jump in an elasticated breastplate with running attachment. For three reasons:

1. Breastplate stops saddle slippage
                                      2. Wither connector gives something to grab in emergency
                                      3. Running attachment prevents broken noses and missing teeth.

I like a multi-purpose piece of tack, especially if it's as benign as this one when not in use.

And this setup falls into the "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" category. Along with a whip, spurs, and 4 wheel drive on the truck.
                                      ----------------------------------------
                                      PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
                                      http://pssm.xanthoria.com/
                                      ----------------------------------------

Comment

Depends on horse/situation:
                                        tb for xc and foxhunting if I'm using his xc bridle since it's only a snaffle. as he can really raise his head/invert when on occassion, not alot but enough to want to have the running martingale.. don't use for stadium work etc. don't use if i use a combination bit or any bit with a shank.

WB mare, always for jumping, foxhunting, xc as she likes to flip her nose and throw her head up (and does it with every frickin bit and bridle combination on earth and everyrider who rides her) so it catches her before I can.
                                        I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Comment

Working...
                                        X