• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Scarcity of eventing in N California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarcity of eventing in N California

I recently looked up all the recognized and schooling events I could find in CA, and let's just say there aren't that many nearby.

Using San Francisco as a hub (a lot of barns surround the city and a lot of people live in/around it), aside from the Horsepark at Woodside (45 mins from SF) the next closest eventing place is Ram Tap in Fresno (a good 5 hours down the central valley from SF with trailer) then Twin Rivers - the same driving time but down the coast.

Eventful Acres is out east in the foothills about 4 hours, (And Rancho Murieta used to be in the same area) but after that everything's 7-9 hours south. (I'm estimating Google's car travel time + an hour or two as I have not been to all locations)

Admittedly coming from the UK I find this relative lack of events rather depressing, but I suppose it must be a factor of land prices and the enthusiasm for dressage and hunters instead. The cost to travel all these long distances (gas, time off work, extra stabling, hotel nights etc) puts a lot of people out of the running for competitions though.

Looking at the map I see somewhat of a black hole, eventing-wise: I have not seen events held north of SF - Santa Rosa and beyond. Admittedly once you get into Mendocino there's less dense population, but does anyone think there's a market up there for an eventing facility?

(And what if we had a "gateway" eventing competition? Dressage, hunter round, and then sort of a hunter derby? Might get people to cross over )
    ----------------------------------------
    PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
    http://pssm.xanthoria.com/

Originally posted by Xanthoria View Post
    I recently looked up all the recognized and schooling events I could find in CA, and let's just say there aren't that many nearby.

Using San Francisco as a hub ...

...Eventful Acres is out east in the foothills about 4 hours
    It's between 2-3 hours to Eventful Acres FYI. I haul to the area regularly from the East Bay and it takes me 2.5 hours door to door (and 20 minutes of that is to get to I-80).

Ram Tap is closer to 3.5 to 4 hours, Eventful Acres 4 hours.

Still a long drive, and probably much longer if you live north of SF and have to go over the Golden Gate Bridge and down through SF. So I would not lump living north of San Francisco into a scarcity of eventing in "Northern California"

That said, I get your point. Murieta has left a hole, and there used to be small events in Santa Rosa, but then the whole ordeal happened with the facility, there is no one to run them, and I guess the XC course has gone downhill.
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

There used to be a lovely event up in REALLY Northern California, in Fall River, in the late 80's/early 90's. Gorgeous place.
      There's plenty of open space once you get 3 or 4 hours north of the Bay Area. Or even just to Woodland; there are fabulous rolling hills all the way up the valley to Redding.
      Land, though, in California is really expensive. In order to have a facility for an event, you are looking at cattle ranches-which are highly overpriced according to the income a cow produces, or in other words a reasonable return rate on the income production value of the land. In the valley (San Joaquin or Sacramento) you are looking at really high value orchard or vineyard land. The good news is that you could have a cross country course and cattle grazing at the same time, as long as you could use electric fence to keep the cattle off the jumps, and you either own the cattle or can work with the owner in terms of grazing the area when there is no event!

I like your idea of 'gateway' shows. Hunter derbies are super popular right now, and the idea of getting good mileage would probably appeal to a lot of hunter riders.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
        It's between 2-3 hours to Eventful Acres FYI. I haul to the area regularly from the East Bay and it takes me 2.5 hours door to door (and 20 minutes of that is to get to I-80).
        Yeah I was using SF as my starting point and EA is 3 hours by car, so I'd allow 4+ with a trailer. YMMV - literally!

I know someone with 90 acres of land in Mendocino, including a shallow, gravel-bottomed river/creek. Would be so perfect for an event! But of course would require building all sorts of arenas, stalls and so on...

Comment

Yeah I was using SF as my starting point and EA is 3 hours by car, so I'd allow 4+ with a trailer. YMMV - literally!

I know someone with 90 acres of land in Mendocino, including a shallow, gravel-bottomed river/creek. Would be so perfect for an event! But of course would require building all sorts of arenas, stalls and so on...
          I doubt Mendocino would get much interest as it's a long drive even for Marin/Sonoma. I think what we really need are more events and facilities on the 80 and 580 corridors (Davis area and Livermore area). It would also be really nice to have a facility in the Sonoma area, maybe a cross country course in a field out near Riverside, we already have the great show facilities there!

btw, Chocolate Horse used to have combined tests, a derby type show would be great there.

Comment

• Original Poster

My thought was that if people are already ready to travel 4-9 hours south or east, then 4-5 hours north wouldn't be unreasonable at all. This spot is about 2 hours from Petaluma - the Horsepark is 1.5 hous the other way (in a car.)

Marin/Sonoma/Davis would be sweet! With land prices in those areas I doubt that'll happen soon though

Rancho de los Amigos needs to restart their ODEs for the lower levels!

Comment

I have to travel 2.5 to 5 hours for my events. And, most of ours are recognized events only...Actually, it's either 2.5 or 4.5+ hours, nothing in the medium range.

But, there are a lot. 15 or so. And, I don't have to deal wth that much traffic.

Clinics, same thing.

I can imagine it's frustating thought to live in Northern California and not have stuff closer...

I however, have to drive 2+ hours to reach civilization.
              "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

Comment

My thought was that if people are already ready to travel 4-9 hours south or east, then 4-5 hours north wouldn't be unreasonable at all. This spot is about 2 hours from Petaluma - the Horsepark is 1.5 hous the other way (in a car.)
                But I don't think you will get the turnout to make it worth while. Yes, you will get the Petaluma and north people, but the competition wont be there. People in the South/East and Sacramento areas will still chose to go to Woodside/TR/Ram Tap instead.

Comment

At least you have events that are remotely close to you. The closest event for us is 5 hrs away, and that only goes to preliminary. For the upper levels the closest event is 12 hours away, that would be woodside. Everything else is between 12-19 hours away. Unfortunately events come and go. Yes, it sucks having to travel, but that is what happens when you live on the west coast.
                  http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/DSC_1428.jpg

Comment

There's also Camelot up in the Chico area. They aren't currently running recognized events, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the direction that they were pushing. They've put in a wonderful water complex and every time I've been there it's been quite fun.

I wish someone would light a fire under the management group at Murieta Equine Complex to at VERY least reopen the XC course for schooling if not start running some unrecognized events. I can't recall when they stopped hosting events there, but they seem to be keeping the XC course at least somewhat maintained.

Somewhat related to MEC, it's also a shame that Pebble Beach doesn't run events any longer. Tim Postel is involved in the management of MEC now so he's not unfamiliar with Eventer's needs.

Twin Palms is a very nice place to go school - lots of fences of all sizes but I'm not sure about the parking. Twin Palms could be a great place for a "Welcome To The Darkside" clinic sort of thing for HJ crossovers.

There is Jack Rabbit Flats in Dixon, but I've never been - that might be another place for Welcome-To-Eventing type events.

LoneTree has some fun Hunter Paces and events through the year - a long drive, but certainly worthwhile.

One of the problems in getting facilities to run Events though is certainly the money. For arguably less effort you can make far more money per competitor running a rated H/J show. However, more and more people are getting priced out at H/J shows ($200 in nonsense fees before even getting one class on the sheet), so it may be a good time to start pushing for more unrated events.

Supporting the sites that are running unrecognized events is really key - as those events grow and hopefully transition in to recognized events, some other sites might look to get in on the Eventing game again. MEC might be worth a shot if someone's got the know how and heart to pour in to getting an Event running there again.

Comment

UC Davis Equestrian Center has schooling shows; I think there's one in the fall and a couple in the spring, but I'm not positive on that. They're pretty terrible about advertising them online, but if you call the office they should have a schedule.

Comment

The Woodland Stallion Station is in the process of putting in a xc course (Rod Hisken is helping them design) and are planning to hold unrecognized events next year. It's a shame that we have to travel so far to compete, but at least there are some places to get lower-level miles.

Comment

"Back in the day" there was Wild Horse Valley Ranch in Napa with divisions through advanced. They used to hold long format 3 days there too I believe. Also as someone mentioned, Pebble Beach. The xc was on a very small piece of land but across the street from the ocean so very unique. Just over 10 years ago there was American Valley run by kristi & randy Nunnink. Loved that event. It was in the Sierra Nevadas, beautiful with open meadows and hilly wooded parts to the course. I was really sad to lose that event. It was a hike from the bay area or anywhere else, but really worth it. Reaching far into the past...Lily Glen in southern OR (Ashland)- not N Cal but a lot of Californians went there.

Comment

Ahhhh, Wild Horse, Lily Glen and way way back, the Mt. Diablo Trail Ride Association had a recognized event! Not a lot of open galloping, but the terrain was fun and the views beautiful!

I used to board at Woodland Stallion Station some 20 years ago...I was one of two riders who rode english. Always thought all that land in wine grapes was a waste, now I am glad to see they are putting it to good use with a XC course!

So sorry to hear about Murrieta...it was always a nice event.....

Comment

On the bright side, at least we have Woodside in our backyard And the lovely schooling XC facility at RDLA.

Gilroy Gaits is reputed to put in a XC course - but I won't hold my breath on that. Would be awesome though!

Have you done the schooling HTs at Moss Beach Ranch? I haven't been, but at least there are some fun, unrecognized events around here.

I've always wanted to try EA and TPs. Love Lone Tree!

I'd say my favorite XC course around here is at Piers Ranch in Portola Valley. Soooo fun! Just did the Hunter Pace with Los Altos Hounds there on Saturday Where were you?????
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
                              www.elainehickman.com
                              **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

Sad to see so many events gone! I started eventing in the mid 1990’s back then we went to:

Wild Horse – Napa (Favorite! Beautiful, loved it) – GONE
                                Murrieta – Rancho Marietta - GONE
                                Pebble Beach – Monterey – GONE
                                American Valley – Sierras – GONE
                                Lilly Glen – Ashland OR – GONE (I remember the last event when the water got too high!)
                                CTETA (Now the Woodside Horse Park) – Still here and much improved.
                                Ram Tap – Fresno – Still around!
                                APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                                  Sad to see so many events gone! I started eventing in the mid 1990’s back then we went to:

Wild Horse – Napa (Favorite! Beautiful, loved it) – GONE
                                  Murrieta – Rancho Marietta - GONE
                                  Pebble Beach – Monterey – GONE
                                  American Valley – Sierras – GONE
                                  Lilly Glen – Ashland OR – GONE (I remember the last event when the water got too high!)
                                  CTETA (Now the Woodside Horse Park) – Still here and much improved.
                                  Ram Tap – Fresno – Still around!
                                  Hey Apps - did you ever school XC or go to the Horse Trial (schooling/fun) at Windance in Pescadero? Gale Wong used to have a nice XC course on her farm and she used to hold a schooling Horse Trial every Halloween, plus XC camps, etc. She has let the XC course go, though, as I schooled there for her Ladies XC Camp a couple months ago and many/most of the XC jumps were not being maintained.
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                  Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
                                  www.elainehickman.com
                                  **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

Welcome to my world. The difference is I live in West TX, and have no other life (other than kids and job)!!

Nearest event is 4.5 hours. Then 5.5, 7, 8, 10, and 12 hours.

AND the nearest eventing trainer is just as far.

Gotta love it when you live where we do and have to drive so far.
                                    --Becky in TX
                                    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                                    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Back in the early 90's I boarded and worked at Wild Horse when I got my first horse. LOVED it there and it was amazing to watch the transformation every time a show was hosted and the mare pastures were converted into the stabling areas across from my geldings pasture.

They are working on building the California Equestrian Park in Sonoma County
                                      http://www.cepec.us/eventsfacilities.htm
                                      The facilities will include arenas, coliseum, pavilion, polo field, cross country course, driving course, trails, galloping track, museum, restaurants, conference center, shops, picnic areas, campgrounds, education facility, surgery and imaging centers, and a farrier shop. CEPEC is also working with the American Red Cross to create an emergency mega-shelter for horses and people.

There is Jack Rabbit Flats in Dixon for schooling. http://jackrabbitflats.net/
                                      • WELCOME TO JACK RABBIT FLATS—A 35 ACRE CROSS COUNTRY SCHOOLING FACILITY CAREFULLY DESIGNED TO TAKE YOU AND YOUR HORSE TO THE NEXT COMPETITIVE LEVEL. WITH MORE THAN 30 OBSTACLES—INCLUDING WATER, A BANK, AND DITCHES—JACK RABBIT FLATS OFFERS CHALLENGES FOR RIDERS OF ALL LEVELS. LOCATED RIGHT OFF HIGHWAY 80 IN SOLANO COUNTY, BETWEEN SAN FRANCISCO AND SACRAMENTO, WE OFFER GROUP DISCOUNTS AND FREQUENT RIDER PACKAGES.

Twin Palms Combined Training in Loomis: www.twinpalmscombinedtraining.com
                                      Lovely facility! My coming 4 year old is going there in the spring to be started over fences.

Lone Tree hosts some schooling events as mentioned. So does Camelot up near Chico.

Somerset in Winters has a cross country course you can haul in and pay a use fee for.
                                      https://sites.google.com/site/somers...country-course

Hiskens in Grass Valley. Twin Rivers and Ram Tap are quite a haul from up here.

UC Davis hosts a derby twice a year, usually in April and November.

It would be wonderful if they could open up MEC again. I miss Wild Horse. I know the facility is leased out to Natalie Rooney Pitts now by Kenzo and she runs her barn out of there. Not sure if there is haul in available to use the course or what kind of shape it is in.
                                      Cloverfox Stables

Comment

I'm not an eventer (far from it actually) but I've lived up in Mendocino county for the past 40+ years. We are sorely lacking in ALL things horse related....shows, clinics, trainers, etc. That wasn't always the case but somehow in the last 10-15 years everything has disappeared and the only events I see locally are rodeos, barrel races and team pennings......none of which I'm interested in and neither are the few serious horse friends I have. We sometimes travel to Lake county for thrice yearly dressage clinics by a clinician who travels 4+ hours to get to us. Several years back there was a multi day, large (for our area) and very well run driving show put on by an outside driving group which we all enjoyed very much. We'd love to have other events held up here and attract a much higher level of equestrian than what I see out there currently but sounds like we're too out of the way and out of the loop at this point. Frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                        X