• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Just signed up or 2 BNT clinics.. are they going to eat me alive??- UPDATE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed up or 2 BNT clinics.. are they going to eat me alive??- UPDATE

I'm getting a little bit nervous!

After a fall of doing nothing with Juice (student teaching took priority) I decided to really dedicate myself to riding. I moved Juice from home (with no ring or good riding area) to a farm with an outdoor and indoor. I also decided I needed to better myself with some clinics.

I'm doing a Sally Cousins clinic this weekend and a Phillip Dutton clinic the weekend after.

We've had all fall off, and even though it's Juice (he'll jump anything no matter how much I suck) am I going to get eaten alive??

I don't have unrealistic expectations, I don't expect them to ask me to lease Juice out so they can have an Olympic horse but seriously.. are they going to be cruel??

ETA: what should I wear?
    Last edited by Meredith Clark; Dec. 18, 2011, 09:23 PM.
    http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

You will LOVE Sally

I'm sure Phillip is great too. Never done a clinic with him, but have watched a few.

Sally, she's awesome.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Comment

I cannot imagine either of them being cruel. Phillip did once call a horse I was riding in a clinic "too crazy to be worth it" but since she was retired from riding shortly thereafter, he was probably right.

Sally is great clinician and very encouraging for all levels of riders. Phillip is a bit quieter and so you are not always sure what he wants or if you are doing it, but he is also a good positive teacher. I only know of one clinician who routinely made people cry in clinics and it isn't either of these.
      OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by scubed View Post
        I only know of one clinician who routinely made people cry in clinics and it isn't either of these.
        oh my goodness! I need to stay away from that person. I'm not known to have the thickest of skin but I do know how to take constructive criticism.
        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Brandy76 View Post

Sally, she's awesome.
          Everyone I've talked to has said the same thing, I just wasn't sure how she approaches things. I've had some harsh trainers!

Comment

I've ridden with both and I say skip Phillip and ride with Sally twice.

Phillip is a good instructor, but not the world's greatest communicator. If you're really sensitive, you won't find anyone as kind and able to set you up for a positive experience as Sally.

Dress conservatively and neatly, and have your horse's turnout be impeccable.

Comment

Sally is about as personable as they come and is always super understanding of green horses and nervous riders. I always feel comfortable with her even if I haven't ridden with her in a long time. She always remembers me and is just a lot of fun to ride with.

Phillip's style of teaching isn't really for me but that doesn't mean he isn't a great instructor.
              http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I'm sure you'll be fine! I will say, I did not enjoy the clinic I did with Phillip, but not because he was mean. I haven't ridden with Sally, but, like the others have said, have heard nothing but wonderful things. Have fun and report back!
                Balanced Care Equine

Comment

Another vote for Sal-She is really quite amazing......She'll yell at you if you do something dumb or dangerous but otherwise she's smart, fun, has an INCREDIBLE eye, a great grasp of the English language. She'll have you doing a 5 meter turn-4 strides to a 4' oxer and you won't even know it. Nothing but huge applause for Sally.

I've never ridden with Phillip bc why bother, if the man doesn't tell me what to do and why then why should I give him my money? I'm sure he's great for his own students, when everyone is on the same page but I haven't heard much good about his clinics. As Ciego said, Skip the PD clinic and ride with Sally twice! ;-)
                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

You will be fine.

I rode with Phillip last weekend on my very green OTTB. I've not been riding much because of work...I am fat and out of shape! Mare was a star...and it was a great lesson by Phillip.

Strong exercises and some really good constructive comments both on the flat and over fences. It was great to have a group lesson setting and hear what he was saying to the others in the group. And yes...he did talk I actually got quite a bit out of it--and some good things to work on.

Both are good teachers and you will have a blast. Plus having goals keeps us motivated right! I do not consider either "mean" instructors.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                      You will be fine.

I rode with Phillip last weekend on my very green OTTB. I've not been riding much because of work...I am fat and out of shape! Mare was a star...and it was a great lesson by Phillip.

Strong exercises and some really good constructive comments both on the flat and over fences. It was great to have a group lesson setting and hear what he was saying to the others in the group. And yes...he did talk I actually got quite a bit out of it--and some good things to work on.

Both are good teachers and you will have a blast. Plus having goals keeps us motivated right!
                      Oh good! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the clinic with Phillip. He is my eventing idol so I've always wanted to take a lesson! This one is flat work and jumping so I'm very excited.

I've already committed to the clinic with him so I'm def. going to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Meredith Clark View Post
                        Oh good! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the clinic with Phillip. He is my eventing idol so I've always wanted to take a lesson! This one is flat work and jumping so I'm very excited.

I've already committed to the clinic with him so I'm def. going to go!

You will have fun with both! They both know their stuff.

Just listen to what they say (to everyone in your group)...and try to do as they ask.

I may see you for your lesson with Phillip!
                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

I may see you for your lesson with Phillip!
                          I'll be the short plump one with a scared look on her face riding a short plump OTTB with a bored look on his face!

Comment

RiverBendPol, that was exactly my experience with Phillip. I rode with him in a clinic down in VA and there were only 3 people in my group, but the other two were either in lessons with him regularly or had ridden with him multiple times before and knew him fairly well. I was barely able to introduce myself (had I not offered my name, I'm not sure he would have even asked for it) before he'd pointed us all at the grid exercise he'd set up, and he never did ask me anything about my or my horse's current level or previous experience. Probably I'm a little to blame for not speaking up, but you'd think for what he charges he'd at least take the 30 seconds to see what he was working with. I had signed up for the N/T level on my green bean (who had run 2 recognized novices successfully but was by no means a pro at the level) while the other two people were preparing to move up to Prelim. We did some BIG stuff for my guy and though he did everything that was asked, he didn't come away feeling confident. Probably the most disappointing was the feedback, or rather the lack of it. He barely said anything to me the whole time and made some noises about "nice little horse" when I queried him at the end of the session about what he thought overall. The complete opposite of my experience with Jimmy Wofford on the same horse a month or so later (I'd ride with Jimmy again in a heartbeat; from that clinic I took home at least a dozen pearls of wisdom and exercises that made me think about my riding and how to improve myself and my horse).

I got the sense that if you ride with Phillip regularly or were to go to his farm for lessons, it would be much better. He was giving good feedback to the other members of my group, but as the lone unfamiliar rider I was almost completely ignored. I wouldn't clinic with him again if given the chance, but if I could afford him for regular lessons I might give it a try.

Meredith, I hope you'll report back with how it goes! If I had to go back and do it over again, I'd overcome my introvert ways and be much more aggressive about introducing myself, explaining where me and my horse were in our training and what we hoped to get out of the clinic. Have fun!
                            Balanced Care Equine

Comment

You will adore Sally. Enjoy both of your clinics. The nice thing about clinics is hearing and learning things in a different way. Every clinician, both good and bad, ends up teaching you something as long as you keep an open mind. Everyone has different teaching styles and some will click with you and some won't. Just enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by faybe View Post
                                Meredith, I hope you'll report back with how it goes! If I had to go back and do it over again, I'd overcome my introvert ways and be much more aggressive about introducing myself, explaining where me and my horse were in our training and what we hoped to get out of the clinic. Have fun!

LOL introvert I'm not---so I rarely have that issue!

Jimmy and Phillip have very different teaching styles. I've ridden with both (ridden with Jimmy a lot more actually). I get important things from both of them but different things. However, the basic theme coming from both of them is typically the same....wanting me not to screw up my nice young horse.

Most riders will find that one style suits them more than another....it doesn't make one trainer better than the other....just one trainer more suited for a particular rider.

Comment

If anything I find Sally to be a bit too kind. My daughter has ridden with her several times and not once did she really get after her for some things I could see myself that she was doing wrong. Not saying she wasn't a good trainer but definitely not going to eat anyone alive from what I have seen.
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

LOL introvert I'm not---so I rarely have that issue!

Jimmy and Phillip have very different teaching styles. I've ridden with both (ridden with Jimmy a lot more actually). I get important things from both of them but different things. However, the basic theme coming from both of them is typically the same....wanting me not to screw up my nice young horse.

Most riders will find that one style suits them more than another....it doesn't make one trainer better than the other....just one trainer more suited for a particular rider.
                                    Very true and I've ridden with other clinicians whose teaching styles were quite different from Jimmy's and enjoyed some of them equally well, some less so. I guess my point was that, had I not been paying attention to what he was saying to the other riders, I would have no idea that Phillip HAD a teaching style, period, as he hardly said two words to me the whole time. If he'd really taught me and I didn't find his style suiting, I would have chalked it up to a good learning experience and moved on as I have with other clinicians towards whom I feel lukewarm. But my experience couldn't even be described as that; it was more of a "non-clinic" than anything else.
                                    Balanced Care Equine

Comment

I don't have much to add - except that I'm having the exact same anxiety attack! I just signed my out of shape self and my green pony up for a Jessica Pheonix clinic this weekend!

Good luck!
                                      www.felixfjord.blogspot.com

Comment

I've not ridden with Sally, but I did get to do half a clinic (the second day got snowed out!) with Philip. I enjoyed it a lot and got quite a bit out of it. I also had one HUGE, GIANT, LIFE CHANGING light bulb moment with him that I still used and am reminded of today. I would always take another chance to ride with him.

He isn't going to be a big, flowery speaker. He's going to tell you what to do. If you have trouble or need to improve it, he'll tell you what to do and how to do it in as few words as possible and still get his point across. If you want eloquent speeches, lots of "technical" jibber jabber, and cerebral pontification, you probably won't get much out of a clinic with him. If you want some kick ass help in a no nonsense way, you'll have a good time.

Honestly, most of these guys wouldn't do clinics if they hated working with lower level riders. Some are better than others at getting their point across, but most I find only get on people's cases if they act like idiots by either not listening, talking back, or just being plain stupid. Pay attention, keep your mouth shut (unless you don't understand what you've been told, and even then be polite and humble), pay attention, listen, watch, and learn, pay attention, and go with an open mind. You'll have fun with both! No worries!
                                        Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                        X