• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Boyd's WS position listed on his blog...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's undoubtedly not worth an uproar, but Boyd's position is considerably more expensive for the ws than any other I have seen. Most positions, even with BNTs, at least provide a place for the ws to live. Most charge far less to bring a horse and some provide food as well as housing. This position consists primarily of hard manual labor rather than learning since presumably someone considered qualified will already know how perform "stall cleaning, grooming horses, tacking and untacking, and general barn and farm clean-up". Paying such a high price to do this labor for extremely long hours 6-7 days a week seems a little crazy. It would be so much more efficient to simply pay for regular lessons with Boyd or another BNT and not much more costly. On the plus side, Boyd is perfectly upfront about the costs and nature of the position, and people can either take it or leave it.

Comment

• Boyd is perfectly upfront about the costs and nature of the position, and people can either take it or leave it.
      exactly.

Comment

• Forgive me if anybody has mentioned this already, but breaking down the cost of the "stall" and comparing it around the rest of Aiken doesn't really work in a barn like Boyd's. If it's anything like the upper level barns I'm familiar with, the horses are all in a very particular program--and ALL of them in the barn are in the program. That includes the top of the line feed, hay and supplements. Many barns feed Ulcerguard and Succeed *DAILY*, most of them are on Adequan or something simliar. They get seen by a sporthorse vet to jog *weekly*. Among other things, care at that level costs a LOT of money. My bet is that the dry stalls cost 350$ or so a month, and the care/feeding/supplements/etc costs close to 1K. A professional who wants to portray a particular image and have the horses in his care, and produced as a product of his program don't get to pick and choose what supplements they do or do not get (for the most part).

Comment

• Originally posted by FairWeather View Post
          If it's anything like the upper level barns I'm familiar with, the horses are all in a very particular program--and ALL of them in the barn are in the program. That includes the top of the line feed, hay and supplements. Many barns feed Ulcerguard and Succeed *DAILY*, most of them are on Adequan or something simliar. They get seen by a sporthorse vet to jog *weekly*. Among other things, care at that level costs a LOT of money. My bet is that the dry stalls cost 350$ or so a month, and the care/feeding/supplements/etc costs close to 1K. A professional who wants to portray a particular image and have the horses in his care, and produced as a product of his program don't get to pick and choose what supplements they do or do not get (for the most part).
          Are you talking about Eventing barns? Been to a lot of upper level barns, never has any provided you with the features you are speaking of without you paying for each and every thing you mentioned. That being said, love Boyd.

Comment

• That's my point--that is probably what it costs to have your horse in the program recommended by Boyd.

Comment

• the economics of the horse business in the US is different than in the EU. At least on the 2 coasts it is expensive to run an operation.
              In general,in all fields of endeavor,the USA now lags behind countries with social democratic governments in terms of providing opportunity for citizens to "make it to the top"/work their way up/rise from a low to an upper SES (social economic status). There has been recent research on this.The US is more and more a land of rich and not rich,and those "classes" are becoming pretty rigid with little opportunity for upward mobility. Working student position economics reflect this structural reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by FairWeather View Post
                That's my point--that is probably what it costs to have your horse in the program recommended by Boyd.
                Pretty sure supplements, Adequan etc. are in addition to, not included. Most barns bill for them separately, not as part of the regular daily charge.

Comment

• Well, the position has been filled.

http://boydandsilvamartin.blogspot.c...mber-erin.html

Comment

• The ad is honest about what the position is and isn't. If I had a kid that said they wanted to do it, I would advise them against it. If you can afford the WS position, you can afford to just pay the trainer for the lessons. That would seem to be a better deal from my viewpoint.

WS position just seem to be a way for trainers to cut costs but that might be the jaded part of me showing.
                    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

• another point on those running the numbers. I bet those actually employed at the barn are earning twice minimum wage.

Comment

• "Note from blog administrator: Erin is a teenage girl. Considering the tone of previous comments, please think before posting and keep your comments respectful. -AMH"

YOU DARE TRY TO SILENCE US?

That is how things like the Arab Spring come about...
                        And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Comment

• Originally posted by catosis View Post
                          "Note from blog administrator: Erin is a teenage girl. Considering the tone of previous comments, please think before posting and keep your comments respectful. -AMH"

YOU DARE TRY TO SILENCE US?

That is how things like the Arab Spring come about...
                          Oh for God's sake, lighten up! This is a working student position, not world peace.

Comment

• Originally posted by FitToBeTied View Post
                            The ad is honest about what the position is and isn't. If I had a kid that said they wanted to do it, I would advise them against it. If you can afford the WS position, you can afford to just pay the trainer for the lessons. That would seem to be a better deal from my viewpoint.

WS position just seem to be a way for trainers to cut costs but that might be the jaded part of me showing.
                            But the WS position would teach a kid about hard work. I find just participating in lesson programs doesn't instill the same work ethic and horsemanship principles as a WS position would get. IME, this is where I find a lot of disconnect in between good and not so good professionals.
                            You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by PonyGal08 View Post
                              But the WS position would teach a kid about hard work. I find just participating in lesson programs doesn't instill the same work ethic and horsemanship principles as a WS position would get. IME, this is where I find a lot of disconnect in between good and not so good professionals.
                              Not just that, but there are SO many skills that simply wouldn't be put into a lesson programme that you learn as a WS - and the myriad of learning opportunities that you can jump on as a WS often aren't there if you are simply a client. Things like assisting the vet come to mind; you can learn SO much from things like that.

Comment

• Also keep in mind that the WS will presumably get to meet people (Boyd's clients) who CAN just write a $1500 check for board, then pay Boyd to ride, show, etc.... Those people do not grow on trees and a few years down the road if you wants to go pro, those are the people you want to remember you fondly for taking such good care of Pookie!

Jennifer
                                Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I do agree with this. There's a lot to be said for learning to work hard. Sincere good wishes to the person who has accepted the position.

Comment

Actually, this should and typically is taught by parents long before a child ever gets to the barn. It is certainly not taught in any WS program that I've ever seen---to survive, the WS should long ago have learned about hard work.

Also, I can remember spending all day at the barn. Mucking stalls, cleaning
                                    tack, sweeping, de-cobwebbing, grooming, watching lessons and watching the vet and farrier etc. It is what we did as "lesson" kids. We spent as much
                                    time as we could at the barn learning everything we could from good horsemen even when we really didn't know what that meant. No one
                                    needs a WS position, they just need the desire and good role
                                    models. But I think a WS position can be useful.
                                    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 26, 2011, 06:36 PM.
                                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Congratulations to Erin on her great opportunity! As a teenager, I had the good fortune to spend several years as a working student for Victor Hugo-Vidal in his heyday at Cedar Lodge Farm. Worked like a slave, made no money, Dad paid board for my horse and I worked off my lessons. While I moved from that world to eventing in my early 20s, what I had a chance to learn being in that program still stands me in good stead every day in my life with horses. It was a privilege, an honor and a gift. I learned a level of horsemanship I have tried to build on for the next 30 odd years. It was a long time ago but it was still the making of me in very many ways. Those of you who don't get it...just don't get it...
                                      Last edited by kt-rose; Nov. 26, 2011, 08:11 PM.
                                      Kate

Comment

• Originally posted by kt-rose View Post
                                        Congratulations to Erin on her great opportunity! As a teenager, I had the good fortune to spend several years as a working student for Victor Hugo-Vidal in his heyday at Cedar Lodge Farm. Worked like a slave, made no money, Dad paid board for my horse and I worked off my lessons. While I moved from that world to eventing in my early 20s, what I had a chance to learn being in that program still stands me in good stead every day in my life with horses. It was a privilege, an honor and a gift. I learned a level of horsemanship I have tried to build on for the next 30 odd years. It was a long time ago but it was still the making of me in very many ways. Those of you who don't get...just don't get it...
                                        :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                          Actually, this should and typically is taught by parents long before a child ever gets to the barn. It is certainly not taught in any WS program that I've ever seen---to survive, the WS should long ago have learned about hard work.

Also, I can remember spending all day at the barn. Mucking stalls, cleaning
                                          tack, sweeping, de-cobwebbing, grooming, watching lessons and watching the vet and farrier etc. It is what we did as "lesson" kids. We spent as much
                                          time as we could at the barn learning everything we could from good horsemen even when we really didn't know what that meant. No one
                                          needs a WS position, they just need the desire and good role
                                          models. But I think a WS position can be useful.
                                          I agree it should. That's another tell tale sign. *Generally* the kids *I* *know* (not all) that only participate in a BNT lesson program and don't really have exposure to all other areas of horsemanship, usually didn't have a very good work ethic to begin with.
                                          You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                          X